Question

Siri

• 22 January 2016
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
Is there a way to use Siri to operate Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not at this time, but it's been a popular request lately to add Homekit support, which I believe is required for control via Siri. Whether or not Sonos will add that capability in the future, only Sonos knows.
That would be great. Even just for volume
With this new update to iOS 10, third-party Siri integration has been added to the consumer version of iOS. This is a huge step and I am really hoping that Sonos will implement this feature. Being able to say "play classical music from Pandora in the Living Room" would be epic. Additionally, with the addition of the Home app on iOS 10, you could potentially make Sonos products HomeKit compatible and be able to be controlled using Apple's home automation software. For example: you pull into your driveway and the lights come on, the heat kicks on, and some smooth jazz started playing. SONOS-DO IT-your whole product ethos fits right in with Apple's mindset!
They are doing it with Alexa, which works with Apple and Android, so no walled Apple garden, thankfully. Alexa also works a lot better than Siri, from across the room even. Just need a $50 Echo Dot.
That's great, but I want Siri support. And Home support. Also, do you know if Alexa already is supported?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are doing it with Alexa, which works with Apple and Android, so no walled Apple garden, thankfully. Alexa also works a lot better than Siri, from across the room even. Just need a $50 Echo Dot.

Is Alexa's walled Amazon garden rosier than Apple's walled garden?
+1 Don't think Sonos official have replied to this thread yet, can we atleast get an answer from them? What else is this forum for otherwise? Any ETA on when can we expect HomeKit support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos doesn't normally comment on future plans other than Alexa support. I would say HomeKit not hopening soon.
They haven't replied because there is nothing official to say. Similar to the Echo integration, when or if Sonos decides to integrate with Siri there will be an announcement. Until then, there is really nothing to say.
Plenty to say about how far behind Siri has fallen, lol.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-google-embarrassed-apple-2016-10
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
+1 Don't think Sonos official have replied to this thread yet, can we atleast get an answer from them? What else is this forum for otherwise? Any ETA on when can we expect HomeKit support?

We're happy to reply but as other's have said, there isn't any official details to share right now.

Sonos doesn't normally comment on future plans other than Alexa support.

We don't normally speak to any future development, but we did recently announce that we're working on this right now.

I'll be sure to pass on your interest in seeing Siri support and Homekit over to our team for you. Thanks for asking!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That article definitely has a lot of praise for google home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Inhave the feeling Google home may be better than echo in a year or so. But echo has announced Sonos support going for it and with the price of echo dots actually is affordable for all over the house. So I stuck with echo for now. Google needs to come up with a dot equivalent I believe to be effective in the whole home control side.
Regardless of the debate, I'm seconding the original request for Siri support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not sure what the debate is. I'm sure no one is against Siri support. It is going to be dependent on how much of the work on Amazon echo support can be ported to use for Google home or Siri.
And conversely, how much support Apple wants to give to make it work, I suspect.

I just responded to someone who wanted the whole Spotify system currently under beta test to be ported over to iTunes. I'm certain that once it's out of beta, Sonos will publish the API on how to get it done, but frankly, I have little to no confidence that Apple would integrate it into iTunes. I'd love to be wrong on both counts, Siri and iTunes "casting".

Hope springs eternal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You mean Apple Music. Or iTunes on desktop? Don't see them doing any development for the desktop apps.
Yea, I think s/he meant iTunes. S/he was looking for counts increasing on his/her playlist. Hell, maybe s/he meant Apple Music. Either way, I don't see Apple bending to include Sonos, although I guess the fact that they're now carrying the speakers in their stores might mean a slightly more lenient attitude in that area.

And this requires a Sonos product with an available line-in. My Play:5 is using line-in for my turntable - so getting Alexa to control my Sonos would cost me another $550 - I'd much rather have Sonos support Siri, or even Hey Google.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Upcoming Alexa support requires no line in native to Sonos and Alexa.

And this requires a Sonos product with an available line-in. My Play:5 is using line-in for my turntable - so getting Alexa to control my Sonos would cost me another $550 - I'd much rather have Sonos support Siri, or even Hey Google.

Nope. As announced back in August, Echo/Alexa will be fully integrated with Sonos early 2017. Private beta should be starting soon:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Badge
Not sure why this is still not achieved by now. I would think you don't need to have HomeKit automation to achieve this. A simple in app deep linking should suffice since most of us already have the iPhone app installed.
I would assume it's a non-trivial coding task. However, once it's rolled out for the Amazon devices, I would hope they could move on to Apple and Google, since the hardest part would already be figured out.
Badge
It feels as though the strength of Sonos is the Industrial Design. But it does not seem like they have a lot of support when it comes to the digital side.

On my end after playing with the Play:5 the IxD and UI are poor for both the IOS and the OSX which is a sign that they do not have an agile approach to development nor the right design insights.

My recommendation > hire people like frog, Method or IDEO to flush out these IxD issues and pivot the product from being technology driven to being customer driven.

Then implement the redefined IxD using the design agencies design research and concepts. Adjust the ID's missing tech requirements (for example if there needs to be an NFC for HomeKit or not, or Bluetooth combination) and upgrade the Apps fast to work with Apple and Alexa and other things.
I shan't argue with you, since I like the idea. But then again, I'm not Sonos, nor am I looking at their budgetary/time/resource restrictions, either. In fact, I've no idea what those are, but they're likely a restricting factor.