Question

Show year on albums when searching and browsing music services.

• 4 November 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello,

I just got my first Sonos speaker and I'm very happy about it.
One thing I'm missing from the app is the ability to see what year an album was released.
This is nice for trivia when discovering a new artist or band and also to find out if it's an reissue of the album.
It's also nice when you want to check if a band you enjoy recently have released a new single or album.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos doesn't index by year. Unfortunately never have and I don't believe from a memory constraint with old Sonos units that they can add it to what they index.

I don't see it being added as it has been a topic for a long time and there are obviously limitations to them being able to do.

I would try something like Plex server. I believe with Plex year is something indexed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Just to be clear, I'm referring to showing year when browsing music services as Spotify and Apple music etc in the Sonos app, not a local music collection. Guess it would be a matter of parsing the album year from the service meta data when available and show it in conjunction with the album title, but maybe it's more complicated.
Guess the suggestion with Plex is not viable to this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is different. I'm not sure you think they would be able to pull that info if that had field to handle.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I believe so yes. Not sure every music service provide a field for album year but guess most of them do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's up to the individual music service to add this functionality. But from my perspective I have a real issue with "year of album release" - What does that mean? Is that the original release? On vinyl, tape? What-about re-mastered versions? what about special editions? In my opinion Album release date doesn't mean anything because it is not clear to me what it is - Your expectation and mine would likely be entirely different.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I know that Spotify for instance shows original year when the album was first released and the metadata is available through their API by the value "release_date".
Not sure about the other services but I agree that it should be a value provided by each individual service and accordingly to it's native interface instead of doing some matching through a middle service even if it probably would be possible as well.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings