Setting a sleep timer: Functions for improvement.

• 9 January 2019
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
Because we have it on a bedroom, we'll use the sleep timer every time:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/452?language=en_US
My wife ordered a chance to remember the last timer, so Next time I put music on play, it's on. Our sleep timer is set up in 30 minutes. Every night we'll set it again. It could be that he remembers the situation last and change when I change. I guess it's not all like that so. Maybe add a slider - ‘Remember my last sleep timer’. And then every time I put the music playing, it automatically started. What do you think of such thought?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, inspire. Thanks for your post and the suggestion. I think that would be great, I'll be sure to pass this along for you. Let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.
Badge +1
Thanks, we're pretty happy with our Sono One stereo pair in our bedroom.
I give feedback when you've put that live. I think that from programming side that's not tricky. The important thing is that it's understandable to users. Let's hope to see it! 🙂
Badge +1
We got a little idea up here, which is something to do with this. So when the timer starts, we could see the timer Ikon on the Main screen. So I could see and I can make sure the timer's been launched. Just a thought. 🙂
Badge +1
Hi! Can I ask you what happened with that idea? Every second update I try and I'm afraid it’s not done. Did you give up that? Or there's some hope it could be added? If yes, then when? I would have five minutes to program that. I understand you have more important things, but I have a wife who cry for it!
Unfortunately, Sonos doesn't ever tell us the two things you're interested in. 1) That they *are* going to implement, and 2) When they plan to implement it.

All we ever get from them is "we'll pas the request on to the team".

With a few major examples, such as AirPlay, Alexa and Google integration. If you read the threads on the Google integration, you'll understand why they tend to stick to the "we won't tell" policy.

And without knowing the codebase, it's not really valid to suggest that it's a five minute code change. It might certainly be, or it could require completely rewriting the code that handles alarms. Or anything in between.

It's a good request, IMHO. But I wouldn't expect someone from Sonos to pop in and give you a timeline, or even if this is doable.

My imagination suggests that they've got a list of thousands of requests that get prioritized by a PM and someone from Marketing, and placed in an order of 1) how many additional sales of speakers it will generate, and 2) how much effort is involved and c) how many people would benefit from the change. Note that I went 1, 2, c, to emphasize that I don't have any idea how 2 and c might be related in importance. But since Sonos only makes money by selling speakers, I feel fairly confident that the most important filter is the 1).

Perhaps my slant on this is an interesting commercial hook for them... we are being told that we should reduce screen time before bed, phones themselves have made significant changes in screen modes etc. 

We have 2 sonos speakers in our bedroom which we use to listen to the radio when we go to sleep. We always put the sleep timer on for an hour which means the phone is needed. Like most people we dont sleep at the same time each evening so an alarm doesn't work.  What we'd love is to simply hit the play button on the speaker and have it start the last selection as it does now, but also start a sleep timer sonit shuts off automatically without getting the phone. I believe there is an auto shutoff already, perhaps that can be defined per speaker group?

Badge +20

I have timed music playing and a sleep timer automated each night but it does involve using a Raspberry Pi, a bit of Python code and SoCo. If we need the music to play longer we just use the app on an iPhone and increase the sleep time.

If you have the skills its worth looking at as there is a lot that can be done with Sonos and SoCo,

@Belly M sounds like some skills worth learning, can you hook me up with any materials on such a setup?

...what we do for a good nights sleep… :)

Badge +20

@Belly Msounds like some skills worth learning, can you hook me up with any materials on such a setup?

...what we do for a good nights sleep… :)

I keep getting logged out for some reason today?

all you need is a Pi, the rest is free.there is a Google group that can help, sorry user support is on apps / programming is not my thing.

http://python-soco.com

Soco is installed using an installer called PIP, you write some Python code, then I personally have a scheduling app that runs the code at a specific time each night. This resumes play from the playlist, and executes a sleep to Sonos for a number of seconds. The Pi does nothing until the next schedule. It’s 100% reliable  and works for me.

thanks for the steer @Belly M !

sounds like i am asking Santa for a Pi this xmas!

Badge +20

The Python code I use, make a copy of this as it works… at the moment.

basically “import soco” discovers your Sonos devices. The one I control is called Master Bedroom which matches the name within Sonos.

it then plays, so the paused playlist resumes.

it then sends a sleep commend for 3600 seconds, which is one hour, but could be any value.

As I use the sleep command, the music fades out but Sonos pauses the playlist without resetting the playlist back to the start as would happen with using a stop command.

import soco

def get_speaker(name):
    for speaker in soco.discover():
        if speaker.player_name == name:
            return speaker

sonos = get_speaker("Master Bedroom")

sonos.play()
sonos.set_sleep_timer(3600)