Serverstack / error 900 - how do I clear out the old settings?

I've been struggling with my Sonos installation on and off since I've had it - two years now.
I gave up with the wireless link and ran a cable directly from my router some time back and that fixed some of the poor connectivity.   Recent software updates now mean that the IOS apps connect every time, instead of occasionally, so that's an improvement.

Now onto the recent issue - no more music library.
Re-scanning the library after the recent update meant I've lost connection to it, and I cannot figure out how to get it back.
It's not the Windows 7 firewall - I've added a line in the "inbound rules" for the 'sonos.exe' in program files.
I've un-installed and re-installed Sonos. 
The radio stations still work on Sonos.

When trying to add the music libray using \\pc-name\share-name, and 'next' with or without the username or password, it fails, both on my IOS app and on the Windows Software.

I'm wondering if there are some old settings within the PC software that are wrong and stopping this working.    I rather think it would be useful if there was a tool to remove all the Sonos settings (PC software) - probably there should be an option when un-installing it to remove all user data (or not).  Each time I un-install & re-install it, it has remembered my playlists and favourites, and I wonder if it's remembering some other stuff that is causing the problem.  I went through my 'appdata' folder and removed all references to Sonos, and also in the registry in desparation to no avail.  On re-installing I still get the Serverstack/Error 900 (I did make that reg change a year or so ago, btw) and I still have my playlists.

Anyone else figured this out yet?

5 replies

Just tried this all on a different PC (laptop) that's never seen Sonos before (and it's only connected on wireless).
Copied over some music into the default Windows music folder (for my login), ran the installer, allowed it to set up the firewall, allowed it to find the music and all is fine.
So the problem I'm sure is that there are a whole load of legacy settings on my main PC that I can't get rid of and that are stopping it from working.
I should have mentioned that I am using iTunes on the main PC and that I moved the music library to a different location, and shared that.  The Windows/iTunes relationship is never an easy one, but it should be possible for Sonos to just look at the music share (where the music is) and ignore everything to do with iTunes.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Try the suggestions in this FAQ and let me know if you're still encountering this problem.
ERROR-900-fix.reg - did this - didn't help.  Checked manually in the registry that it was set to the correct value - and it is.

I've un-installed Sonos from this PC, but I can't find where it stores all the settings. The uninstaller doesn't remove them.   As I said, I deleted every reference to Sonos in the registry after un-installing it, and also in \users\my_name\appdata\
I'm pretty certain there's some legacy value in these settings that's stopping it working.
OK so I had another look.  I found a Sonos,_Inc folder in C:\programData\.   I renamed that (I could have deleted it).  Re-installed Sonos, and now I can add the music folder to Sonos.
Sonos has added a new folder with the same name to this folder.

Again, why doesn't the installer offer to remove this for you?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
OK so I had another look.  I found a Sonos,_Inc folder in C:\programData\.   I renamed that (I could have deleted it).  Re-installed Sonos, and now I can add the music folder to Sonos.
Sonos has added a new folder with the same name to this folder.

Again, why doesn't the installer offer to remove this for you?

I'll raise this and see if there's an answer for you. Glad to hear you got it working again, enjoy.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings