Sequence in my spotify/my music/albums in sonos app

• 16 September 2018
  • 11 replies

Badge
Recently the sequence in the listing of my spotify albums in the sonos app has completely lost its logic. For a while it has been placing the most recently played albums on top, but now it doesn't anymore. So now the ones that have been put on top remain there, and all other albums remain alphabetically, clustered by artist, as is my spotify setting, which hasn't been changed. It makes very hard to find certain albums in this ever growing list. Does anyone else have this problem and/or does anyone have a solution? Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I've just started having a similar problem - albums seem to be sorted by when I added them (most recently added first). No way that I can find of re-ordering them...
Badge
Yes, you're right, I meant the newly added albums, not the recently played.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The order of items shown is determined entirely by the music service, so suggest you ask Spotify why they changed their SMAPI service in this way.
Badge
I have no idea what SMAPI service is, but I presume you mean the way they communicate their info to Sonos? My spotify albums list still is neatly organized alphabetically by artist/album
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
SMAPI is the web service that Spotify expose to Sonos. It determines what you can see and what order everything is in, and you need to ask Spotify to undo their recent change to get back the original behavior. Sonos has no ability to sort the results of any SMAPI service.
Yup, I’ve had exactly the same thing happen. Making it impossible to find an album via the Sonos app. Sonos don’t want to know - said nothings changed.....errr it has!!!
I have this exact same problem. Any recent news? My albums are sorted in Spotify app, but in Sonos app they are sorted by when added. Can’t find anything!
As indicated in previous posts, any news would need to come from Spotify, who controls how the data is presented to you in the Sonos app. Sonos just displays what they're told to.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Well assuming the data comes back in a single query (which might not be the case for artists with a large catalog) then Sonos could sort the search results by album title (to enforce consistency of Sonos experience across all local or streaming sources), or even by year (if the Spotify API returns such tagging info). But it depends on how the music service API works this week.

In addition, there's the difficult question of how to best sort releases for the user's average/current use case - chronologically, alphabetically, or separating studio albums, live albums, compilations, singles, mini-albums, EPs, EPs-but-classified-as-albums-to-game-the-Spotify-rankings (and AFAIK tagging info doesn't allow for such rich classification).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It comes back 100 items at a time, so sorting is problematic at best esp on the old low memory machines (there's a reason the API pages 100 at a time). There is also the problem of when to sort vs when not to: Artist lists should be sorted, but album tracks definitely not. Some folks want sorting by year, or last-added date: that data isn't even returned in the API.

These are just some of the reasons that sorting must be done by the Service, not the client.
Userlevel 1
Has anyone on this thread tried to contact Spotify about this issue? If so, would do you reach out to?