Answered

Screen Lock Controls

• 19 August 2018
  • 7 replies

I am a musicholic, have been since forever. I have a long history with music & audio & audio systems. SONOS has been one of my favorite purchases for some time until today... "screen lock controls" are no longer available and the experience of having songs pause or be interrupted continually is brutal and annoying. Does anyone know if SONOS intends to correct this issue? If not, I will be looking for a new way to listen to music wirelessly.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 August 2018, 00:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Disabling non-SONOS airplay devices has no impact. I assume this problem persists with all iOS devices, not just my phone, but I'm not in the mood to try the other devices. I will wait impatiently 🙂 for a fix and in the meantime may disable screen lock when playing from my iPhone or just stream from Spotify playlists instead.

To bring back the lock screen controls, you'd also need to shut down the Sonos app and restart it after disabling aiplay devices. And to be clear, that workaround won't address the skipping issue.

Also, you are likely to get better performance when playing audio through the Spotify app anyway. In that case, you'd stream directly from the Spotify to the speaker. With airplay, you stream from Spotify to phone to speaker. Just by have less 'points of failure', you're better off IMO.
Disabling non-SONOS airplay devices has no impact. I assume this problem persists with all iOS devices, not just my phone, but I'm not in the mood to try the other devices. I will wait impatiently 🙂 for a fix and in the meantime may disable screen lock when playing from my iPhone or just stream from Spotify playlists instead.
And I suspect the priority that Apple puts on the issue is substantially lower than what Sonos is setting it at.
Thanks for the reply. One would think SONOS and Apple could get together on this.I assume that is what they are doing.
Thanks for the reply. One would think SONOS and Apple could get together on this.
Sonos has stated that they're chasing a bug with the process of playing from an iOS device and skipping when it goes to the lock screen. I'd expect an update in the software as soon as they're able to get that out. I don't expect that software update to fix the lock screen controls, though, since that's a a change made by Apple, not something that Sonos has control over.

As to the skipping when the iOS device locks, you have a couple of options, none particularly appealing to the average user. First, turn off the lock screen on the iOS device. Second would be to move the content from the iOS device to some other device, like your PC or an NAS.
This appears to be a consequence of Airplay 2 implementation. As an experiment try disabling Airplay on any non-Sonos Airplay enabled devices. Is the pausing of tracks affecting any source other than playing from the phone?