Scheduling music play

• 2 December 2005
  • 11 replies

I wonder how to schedule a specific composition or playlist, etc to play at a specified time. For example, I want my music to turn off in my bedroom at night automatically and turn on in the morning as an alarm-clock, but playing a speicific set of compositions. I did not find any scheduling functions in the software nor in the controller.

Another question is if it's possible (I believe it's not) to play 360 kbps mp3 files. I hope it will be taken care of in the next release.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Alas, this is not possible. Right now, the only way to go to sleep with Sonos and wake up to it is the third party software, Sonos scheduler (available in the digital expert forum.) Even with this software, I have the occasional period where my bedroom system does not want to respond, making me still reliable on a backup alarm clock.
One thing you can do with the Sonos Scheduler: you can fall asleep to a low volume song, then wake up to the graduated loudness of the scheduler. It will still be the same music, but you can vary the volume.
Thank you. However, I could not find that software in the Digital Experts forum. Do you have an idea where it could be? 🙂
Check out this thread: Sleep/Wake up app.
Thanks! I will try it out. I don't know why this function has not still been implemented by Sonos.
Userlevel 2
So...I must become a digital expert to get access to this Schedular software?
So...I must become a digital expert to get access to this Schedular software?

Arnolds posted his software in the Digital Expert forum, which requires Digital Expert status for access.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Malcolm. I wasn’t aware that this was third party software -- That's great. This must mean there is an API that one could use to access the internal Sonos DLL's. Question: How would one obtain information regarding this?

One very interested software developer 😉 ,
Userlevel 3
Has this feature been added yet? I guess 11 years is enough!?
Yes. It's called an alarm.
Userlevel 3
The alarm is a workaround. Not the same as a proper schedule.
Actually, the alarm was the answer to this request from 11 years ago, hence no more posts. You can call it a workaround all you like, but it does allow you to schedule music to come on and shut off (by playing a null file or zero volume) at a scheduled time. I doubt you are going to see anything more sophisticated.