Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

Hi everyone, thanks for voicing your concerns here. We’re going to keep this as the main thread for this conversation so it’s all in one place. All the threads have been merged here, so my apologies if there are any conversations that had the flow messed up.

I want to provide more detail about exactly what will happen in the coming months and why. In early April, we will release a software upgrade that will no longer support the aging CR100. Here are your options:

• Accept the upgrade, understanding that your CR100 will no longer connect. This is our strong recommendation for two reasons: 1) due the age of the battery in the controller, it has the potential to overheat when left charging for extended periods of time 2) you will continue to receive the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates. This is a far better solution for safety and performance reasons, but we realize you’ll need to transition to a new controller. We have resources available to help you get set-up on an alternate controller and are offering a coupon code to sonos.com to help make the transition easier (amount varies regionally, one per household).
  • Ignore future upgrades, leaving your Sonos system on its current version. We do not recommend this option. If you do go this route, you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Additionally, opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system – not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100. It is necessary to configure your system in advance to avoid future updates. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.

Please reach out to discuss your specific situation and solutions with one of our team members, or if you’d like to better understand how to get set-up on an alternate controller. You can contact us directly at https://sonos.com/contact.

The CR100 can be disposed of at any local e-waste processing center in accordance with all local laws and regulations. To claim your coupon code or if you’d like a hand disposing of your CR100, please see here: https://www.sonos.com/cr100submit.

Updated March 23rd:
We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Here here! - wholeheartedly DISMAYED AND DISGUSTED by this announcement... I have 3 x CR100s all with wall cradles, and all in a permanent mount scenario, where NO OTHER CONTROL OPTION is as elegant, and straightforward for the particular use cases where I have used CR100's - why on earth else do you imagine I still have them in use today?!?!?

I have literally only a month or two ago, purchased & installed all new batteries in my 3 CR100s, in the expectation that I'd get another 10 years sterling service from these much beloved units.

a £100 voucher of another SONOS purchase??? - do me a favour!... - that is completely & utterly value-less to me... - I already have the 8 zones in my house that I need, & thus I *have* no future SONOS purchases in mind at the moment.. Now, talk to me about a (worthwhile) discount against 3 tablet devices that it looks like I'm going to have to purchase to wall mount in place of my CR100s, (then spend no doubt many hours of my time trying to configure them to behave as elegantly as a control point as the CR100's do), and perhaps we might have a conversation.

SONOS - DO NOT DO THIS

Believe it or not, there are use cases in which no other controller is as simple & elegant as my wall-mounted CR100s, and that, in my opinion, is one of the 2 main pillars of the entire SONOS value proposition: excellent audio quality, and *supreme* ease of use - often this is paraphrased into the much-sought and rarely awarded; "It just works". Forcing me to adopt a different control paradigm, which is LESS satisfactory than what I have now, damages that reputation.

I cannot conceive of any other company (who's products I would consider paying for), deliberately "bricking" functioning products that customers are happy with. I'm perfectly OK with any or all of:
- we don't / won't offer further software updates
- we don't / won't offer spare parts or repairs
- these units may not support future features
- we are not liable if the batteries explode (which may be in the T&C's already?)
I am NOT at all happy with SONOS taking an affirmative action to deliberately brick hardware that I own, that I paid (handsomely) for, that has served me perfectly well for the last decade, and more to the point is continuing to serve me satisfactorily to this day.

Can you just *imagine* Apple doing this? - deliberately bricking original iPad 1's for example? (I still have an old iPad 1, - it won't take any recent iOS updates, and many apps on the appstore won't run on it, but it STILL WORKS, and Apple aren't (AFAIK) planning on deliberately destroying it...

Class action suit anyone??? :@:@:@:@:@
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I just saw the email coming in, and read it twice to believe it... I am quite a techy guy, have played with many automation, geeky systems. The ones relying on smart phone apps always end in a drawer: too clunky, too slow to control, just a pain.
I love my sonos system because it has a dedicated controller. Fast and easy to control, always on, always in the room where it's supposed to be. And now I am told that I am supposed to discard it?

Come on Sonos, years of excellent service, don't ruin it now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I'm relatively new to Sonos. When was the CR100 discontinued, as in no longer available for new purchases?
Gosh... *many* years ago... but that (IMO) is hardly the point... - I still have a HiFi amplifier (JVC RS33L) that I purchased from Richer Sounds on London Bridge in 1979, and it still works perfectly, and JVC aren't planning to deliberately brick it anytime soon...

I have an original gen 1 iPad that still works... -- it has limited utility, but it still works, and Apple (AFAIK) aren't planning to deliberately brick it anytime soon.

I have Dell computers that are 10-ish years old, and which sill work (slowly of course!) - but as far as I know, neither Dell or Microsoft are planning to deliberately brick them anytime soon...

I still have the first ever laptop I purchased myself, a Fujitsu Amilo Pro 1845D, which is about the same age as my CR100's - it too still works, in fact last week I spent a fair amount of time reinstalling Windows on it to upgrade it from XP to Win7.. the battery is crap (it could be replaced - but it works well enough on mains), the Wifi is limited to old 802.11b - which my router no longer supports, so I have to use it on a wired LAN connection, but it STILL WORKS, and again, to the best of my knowledge, Fujitsu have no plans to deliberately brick it anytime soon...

See where I'm going with this? - none of those aforementioned devices are still supported by their manufacturers, and won't get repaired if/when they die, but until such time as that happens they will continue to work in whatever capacity is afforded by their hardware.

All I ask is the same level of customer support from SONOS. we deserve nothing less as customers who have paid (handsomely) for their premium-level hardware.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Agree that losing the CR100 will be a pain. We have kids and they each have a CR100 in their rooms. We have done this because we don't let them have unsupervised use of their smart devices.

Frankly a £100 voucher off a Sonos purchase doesnt really help as I already have one Play 1s, 5 Connect amps, one ZP80 and one Play 5. There's nowhere else to put music unless I build another room onto my house! What I want is a controller - well 4 to replace my CR100's but I can't buy any with a £100 voucher cos they don't sell any (not that £100 would be enough to do so).

Incidentally, a £100 voucher if you have a CR100, and still just a £100 voucher if you have 4? Or more? What's that about?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I feel very sad, angry and surprised too!!! Why is it not possible to keep basic functions going on the CR100. All that is needed is, select a radio station or something from the music library and zone functions, join, leave. No need for new fancy stuff! I use 2, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Areas where moist and mobiles/tablets do not go together.
Also in the context of resource conservation and environmental reasons this is sending a very wrong signal. Ditch perfectly working electronic tools, that is ultimate wasteful. I am already very concerned in the way Sonos is forcing us to take up new software and changing the terms and conditions while doing this. I bought Sonos components with the understanding that I bought something that will continue to work till it breaks ( not by software updates). I still want to be able to use my 1st gen Sonos stuff in 20 years time, even if that means I don't have access to all new functionality that is released in the mean time.
I really would like to see an option to create a 'freeze' on the software installed and keep that going for the rest of the working life of my sonos components. I will accept I cannot add new stuff to it. Fine!!
The next step I can see coming is that the 1gen Sonos connect (ZP90) and Play gen 1 will not be supported any more and new Sons controller software will render them obsolete.
This cannot continue!!
I can still use my old CPM/2 based computer and my XP based laptop, so it should not require rocket science to keep a CR100 going using basic functions.
Userlevel 3
Sonos have failed to understand that so many of us love having a dedicated independent controller, and not using phones etc.....please reconsider this guys. Keep the CR100 going until you can come up with a replacement controller..
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The next step I can see coming is that the 1gen Sonos connect (ZP90) and Play gen 1 will not be supported any more and new Sons controller software will render them obsolete.
This cannot continue!!

*IF* that happens, then that truly is the moment SONOS & I part company... If I'm forced (kicking & screaming) to ditch the CR100s, then what am I going to do?? - clearly, I'm going to go out & purchase some low/mid range tablet device (Amazon Fire et al)... - that can serve as a SONOS controller... - but... - it can also be re-purposed as a controller for any other competitive multi-zone speaker system that has an app (which is all of them, btw)...

Keeping me on CR100 controllers serves to keep me locked into the walled garden of the SONOS ecosystem - I can't use a CR100 for *any other purpose* (which actually, is part of its attraction). Once SONOS starts forcing me to replace elements of my system that can just as easily control a Denon/Yamaha/BOSE alternative, then my ability to jump ship onto one of those competitors is enhanced.

The absolute folly of doing the same with the old gen 1 zoneplayers (which comprise 4 of my 8 zones) then do you seriously imagine I am going to purchase new SONOS units to replace them?!?!? - IN YOUR DREAMS!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Anyone else a bit disappointed that from April 2018 our cr100's will no longer work? I have 4 of these and Sonos's solution is to offer me a voucher for £100 off my next Sonos purchase. Unfortunately they don't sell any controllers any more so that's not really going to help.

It looks like I'm going to have to purchase some kind of ipods or something , as I need dedicated devices that I can leave in each zone. Anyone got any suggestions of the cheapest options?
Userlevel 2
I have 5 controllers spread around the house and losing them will be a real problem. The Sonos app is really clunky and nowhere near as easy to use as the CR100. What's more Sonos completely redesigns it every year or so and it takes ages to get used to the new design. Please keep the CR100.
Userlevel 3
Badge
This is a real shame. There are plenty of products out there with lithium ion batteries which are still allowed to function after many years. Imagine a laptop vendor disabling internet connectivity on older devices?

It would be great if Sonos could continue allowing CR100 controllers to participate in a Sonos environment, even with limited functionality (which I believe is already the case to some extent).

£100 voucher doesn't really help if there is no replacement hardware controller.

😞
Userlevel 3
Keep the CR100 support! Sonos - part of the elegance of the system is the simplicity. Why force a software upgrade when our two CR100s work just fine today? This just introduces complexity for many of us.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Believe it or not there are many folks who like music but whose smart phone is not the center of their existence. For this reason bricking the CR100 is a totally contemptible and hostile move by Sonos towards its customers, especially early adopters who help put Sonos on the map and those most likely to own a CR100 or two. Their excuse for bricking the CR100 rings hollow: Everyone knows the CR100's battery is easily replaceable - for heaven's sake the instructions are posted on this forum! https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/guide-to-changing-the-cr100-battery-5216. Everyone knows Sonos has some of the best software engineers in the business and could readily maintain the CR100 at its current level of functionality if they wanted.

Reality check: this is about concocting a defense against possible product liability lawsuits and saving a few bucks on programmers in the process. Win-win for Sonos, lose-lose for Sonos users.

I was this close to pull the trigger on a Sonos Soundbar for my new TV, but forget it. Sonos lost my trust and my business.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Forced Obsolesce!
Here's what I just sent to the CEO + Dir of Global Customer Care:

Mr. Carlino,
I read with great disappointment and some anger the recent message from Sonos stating that the 3 CR100s I paid over $1200 for (not including new batteries and cradles for each) will become useless (bricked) by April. This is a seriously flawed idea and the leadership of this company appears to be bent on driving loyal, long-term customers away from your company and brand because of short-term revenue issues.

We have 16 (expensive) Sonos components that we’ve purchased over the last 12 years (last purchase just 6 months ago). We have invested a great amount of time and money making our home into a Sonos home. Your products are in every room and used by the entire household many hours a day. The CR100’s are loved so much that we’ve changed out the batteries in each (which is not difficult) and keep them in tip-top condition. One of them even has a nick name (Odie).

Frankly we don’t care if some new functions and features don’t migrate to the CR100. We don’t care if your company wants to force us to use voice-control (which is still buggy and has HUGE privacy concerns surrounding it). We don’t care if Sonos offers a paltry $100 (limited time – one per household) voucher to purchase only other Sonos items because you don’t currently have ANYTHING that works like the CR100 does.

I have read almost all of the community feedback under the “Save the CR100” topic and I can’t believe you’re still pursuing this short-sighted, insulting, and investment-damaging course of action. These are audio systems, not cell phones or tablets. The claim that the battery is dangerous is just plain suspect. We have many 10+ year old devices that have Lithium Ion batteries and NO manufacturer has tried to render these devices useless! The additional claim that the CR100 won’t keep up with future enhancements within the Sonos family is also suspect. Our 10 year old iPods, 12 year old laptop (with Lithium batteries), portable phones, and DAC amp, work wonderfully even if they aren’t updated any longer. Your company has many options to allow these devices to die a natural electronic death. Bricking them in April is an arbitrary date/move and destroys a useful, admired, and expensive piece of electronics. This move is also an insult to the environment! Not just because it’s just more e-waste (despite the claim of recycling you know it’s not entirely recycled), but because it destroys a working piece of sophisticated electronics and therefore prematurely rendering it useless.

In essence this is just an act of Forced Obsolesce. It will not bode well for your brand in the short and long run. I have talked up Sonos to many friends and families over the last 12 years about how great my whole-house audio system is and am responsible for at least 2 other household’s purchase your products (that I know of). Do you really think you can just stomp all over that goodwill and expect no fall-out? You have NO right to disable our audio equipment period!

I suggest you consider other options: For example you don’t need to brick these; you can continue to do as you have with prior updates that don’t migrate to the CR100. While I believe most of your loyal customers don’t expect you or any audio equipment manufacturer to update, repair, offer tech support, etc. forever, many will be just fine using these devices to quickly access volume, play-skip-pause, alarm, and more without all the potential new features coming from Sonos. The claim that the processor is just too slow sounds questionable as the processor doesn’t need to be fast for the functions I just listed. Furthermore the ease-of-use/instant access the CR100 provides is far superior than any OS app on a PC, phone, or tablet (not to mention it’s resistance to moisture). If you have a liability concerns over the battery, just have your next update include a liability waver built into the EULA when customers agree to the update. God knows you hide enough privacy information in that fine print; you can surely squeeze a bit more in there.

Will you be disabling my 10 year old ZP80s and 100s next?

I urge you to reconsider this unnecessarily disturbing and reckless policy. Brand loyalty is won over time, yet lost quickly by foolish, short-sighted decisions.
Userlevel 2
Yeah, this is ridiculous. I can understand not supporting it and not making sure new features work with it, but to intentionally disable people's working hardware with a software update is absurd.

We have a controller in the kitchen and the bedroom. They're good because they're small, the kids can use them without needing a smartphone and they just work.

If I have to invest in new iPads just to get back a dedicated controller, I'll probably look at just selling my Sonos devices and looking for an alternative.
Userlevel 3
Yet another poor decision by Sonos. After recently dealing with the awful new controller software update, finally hitting the 65K library limit, and now this decision I will echo the sentiments of others here. Should Sonos stay with the decision to forcibly retire the CR100 I will part ways with the company and seek alternative solutions when the time comes. These controllers aren't the most elegant solution, but they are purpose-built and run like tanks. I've dropped mine a few times with no damage whatsoever. The stated reason for retirement feels quite bogus. After how many years of these controllers' use suddenly the battery charging is an issue? I have never noticed a problem. It appears to me this excuse is convenient cover for yet another hardware limitation in the speakers themselves. Sorry Sonos, keep your voucher as I will not need it. You will lose me as a customer based on this decision.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Here here! - wholeheartedly DISMAYED AND DISGUSTED by this announcement... I have 3 x CR100s all with wall cradles, and all in a permanent mount scenario, where NO OTHER CONTROL OPTION is as elegant, and straightforward for the particular use cases where I have used CR100's - why on earth else do you imagine I still have them in use today?!?!?

I have literally only a month or two ago, purchased & installed all new batteries in my 3 CR100s, in the expectation that I'd get another 10 years sterling service from these much beloved units.

a £100 voucher of another SONOS purchase??? - do me a favour!... - that is completely & utterly value-less to me... - I already have the 8 zones in my house that I need, & thus I *have* no future SONOS purchases in mind at the moment.. Now, talk to me about a (worthwhile) discount against 3 tablet devices that it looks like I'm going to have to purchase to wall mount in place of my CR100s, (then spend no doubt many hours of my time trying to configure them to behave as elegantly as a control point as the CR100's do), and perhaps we might have a conversation.

SONOS - DO NOT DO THIS

Believe it or not, there are use cases in which no other controller is as simple & elegant as my wall-mounted CR100s, and that, in my opinion, is one of the 2 main pillars of the entire SONOS value proposition: excellent audio quality, and *supreme* ease of use - often this is paraphrased into the much-sought and rarely awarded; "It just works". Forcing me to adopt a different control paradigm, which is LESS satisfactory than what I have now, damages that reputation.

I cannot conceive of any other company (who's products I would consider paying for), deliberately "bricking" functioning products that customers are happy with. I'm perfectly OK with any or all of:
- we don't / won't offer further software updates
- we don't / won't offer spare parts or repairs
- these units may not support future features
- we are not liable if the batteries explode (which may be in the T&C's already?)
I am NOT at all happy with SONOS taking an affirmative action to deliberately brick hardware that I own, that I paid (handsomely) for, that has served me perfectly well for the last decade, and more to the point is continuing to serve me satisfactorily to this day.

Can you just *imagine* Apple doing this? - deliberately bricking original iPad 1's for example? (I still have an old iPad 1, - it won't take any recent iOS updates, and many apps on the appstore won't run on it, but it STILL WORKS, and Apple aren't (AFAIK) planning on deliberately destroying it...

Class action suit anyone??? :@:@:@:@:@

The battery thing is complete nonsense. There are PLENTY of aftermarket batteries available for the CR-100.

There is NO reason why the CR-100 can't at least simply control an existing queue. I will miss being able to use in the shower.

I suspect aftermarket firmware to show up. an unlocked bootloader will appear. The algorithm for the unlock code for (unlock.htm) will likely be published by someone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
As sad as the actions of the untrustworthy management at Sonos are in every aspect of this debacle I am more saddened by the realisation that a group of people exist that can spend ridiculous amounts of time and energy commenting on a subject that does not concern them at all.

To the multi thousand posters here I offer a parting piece of advice. Turn off your terminal , open your bedroom curtains and when your eyes and skin have recovered from the application of sunlight,venture out into the world and start engaging with real people like mummy has been telling you for years.

To the guy that keeps bleating on about voice control, this little piece of advice could change your sad existence, if you leave your bedroom and venture out like mummy says, who knows you may meet a kindred soul, they may even be called Alexa or Alex..........how good would that be........?

Theres a good boy......

Out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
... I Think I recall the CR100's being the wrong side of £300 each, and for that you didn't even get the cradle, - that was another £40 a pop. Top of my head maths then suggests that my 3 CR100's and 3 cradles set me back almost exactly £1000.... - and that was in the days when a grand was worth something!! ...
Oh yes!

I remember feeling a bit conned at the time, having to purchase the cradle as an extra when it should have been included (as it was when the CR200 came out). I think the offer should be more if you have a cradle. ;)

We have 7 CR100s all with cradles (£2,400 odd) and the offer is £100 - Really? :@

Actually the voucher is worth somewhat less since it can't be used with any other offer. You might do better to skip the voucher and wait for a sale that will likely give you equal or better savings.

Actually, my voucher was worth £125, with which I purchased an iPort Xpress for the princely sum of nothing.

... Has anyone actually taken legal advice about this? And if people are so sure about it, why haven’t they started any law suits against Sonos? ...All large companies will have a legal department, so I’m sure that if it was illegal, they would have brought it to management’s attention well before it became public knowledge.

... I also think it’s ridiculous some people threatening to ditch their entire setup and buy a new system, because of this. I think “cutting your nose off to spite your own face” is a suitable phrase to use here.

Whilst overall I agree with the thrust of your post and have given it a "Like" there are a couple of things that I would comment on:-

On the legal question, Sonos have not done anything yet that would warrant any legal action other than perhaps an injunction to stop the next OS release bricking the CR100s. Given the cost of going down the injunction route this is not really a viable option. However once the CR100s are bricked then (in the UK) a claim in the Small Claims Track of County Courts for the cost of the Sonos System could be on.

Yes, I am sure Sonos legal have been all over this, just like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica's legal teams were all over their respective positions before the heavens fell in on them earlier this week! But that in no way means that the Sonos position on this is correct or not open to a successful legal challenge. I suspect any legal remedy will be restricted to the cost of a Sonos system rather than actually stopping or reversing any OS bricking of the CR100, but I could be wrong on this.

So no need to take legal advise unless the CR100s are actually bricked - but afterwards perhaps.

We are looking at our "post CR100" options and they very much include selling all our Sonos kit and replacing it with a wired alternative. This is not a "threat" nor "cutting your nose off to spite your own face", we just want the best system to meet our needs.

Back in 2004 when we were looking at the options for a whole house audio distribution system we had a few basic requirements and by and large Sonos tick all the boxes and gave some additional benefits (such as WiFi extension via the Sonosnet and the 4x Ethernet ports in the back of the ZP100). If the controller options in 2004 were the ones being offered post April 2018 we would never have purchase any Sonos units but instead would have gone for a wired setup.

If we cannot freeze at OS 8.4 and retain our CR100s or if Sonos do not come up with a solution (be that CR100, CR300 or whatever) then we will sell our all our Sonos units and install a wired setup. Of course we will take a bath on costs, but when you want the best you will never be happy with second best, which is why we invested so much cash into our Sonos system.

We will look to make the best of things and whilst ripping holes in our walls may also install whole house video distribution. If we do go this down this route not only will we gain 100% drop out free audio but more importantly 100% control of our hardware, which we now see as real plus and vulnerability of continued Sonos ownership.

Sonos was the best option for us in 2004 and still is, but if that changes then we shall change from Sonos - Simples! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge
Please dont do this, I have 2 and I use them every day
Userlevel 2
Agreed dedicated controller with consistent interface is the reason Sonos is so useful in our house. 4 rooms, 2 CR100 controllers. May have to rethink now. I definitely do not mind a reduced feature set on the CR100 if necessary to keep them going.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately your old laptop isn't reliant on other services/devices to work though, it can stand on its own. The CR100 is dependent on the Sonos system itself, and considering the underlying software of the system undergoes changes over the years, the support for the CR100 (and subsequently the CR200) will be harder and harder to manage. Same reason why for instance Internet Explorer 6 cannot be used for websites anymore, it simply won't load them or will show you a message "You need to upgrade your browser to view this page". It's because software has changed so much throughout the years that eventually it's impossible to support older generations. The demands of new software is higher and higher as well in terms of hardware requirements, which is why older Android phones and older iPhones etc cannot run Android 7.0 or iOS 10 either, because they wouldn't be able to run it properly.

Unfortunately that's software vs hardware. Hardware is static, you buy a product and it will have that same hardware for the next coming years. The software on it though gets updates and updates and updates. Eventually the software will outdate the hardware. That's not Sonos limited, that's pretty much every hardware company that has devices that predate 2010

Good points, well made, and I do get it... but I will suggest flaws in some parts of your analogy if I may... :-)
When IE6 went the way of the Dodo, they released IE7 to replace it, (then IE8,9,10,11 & 12), I could also choose to switch to Chrome, Firefox, Tor, Safari etc. etc... all of which were a "like-for-like" substitution. Forcing us to change from a dedicated controller to an app running on a multipurpose device is NOT a like-for-like substitution - it's a totally different paradigm, much as if MS has killed off IE6 and forced us to use PowerPoint instead.... (Powerpoint *can* be cajoled into displaying web pages!, but it's a totally crap option)

Also, the way I see the current situation is similar to how it was at the point in time when IE6 was being killed... - at the precise point in time the decision was made, it still worked >then< - the point was that it couldn't continue to be relied upon to work with the newer technologies that were going to supersede it, and although it could be considered *useless* from that point onwards, MS didn't make an affirmative action to disable it from ever being used again... - in a closed network just accessing an intranet for example, IE could continue to be used (and probably still could to this day I suspect). AFAIK, MS have not released a windows patch that explicitly prevents IE from even running on a Windows PC...

The CR100 works satisfactorily *NOW*. I get that it's a Dodo-in-waiting, but that's not a valid reason (IMO) to form a hunting party and to go out & kill every last one stone dead. I would be happy to accept the option of freezing my SONOS system in the current state - I don't want to disconnect from the web, since then I can't use most of my music streaming services, but I'd be happy never to have to apply a SONOS software update again, if that meant I could keep my CR100s going, and I suspect this might be a position shared by many. In time of course, there might come along some "killer feature" that I really want to have, but which is incompatible with continued use of CR100's and at that point I have a choice to make, - but it should be MY choice!

Now, of course, I don't know *how* SONOS plans to kill the CR100's on the day in question - I've just recently applied a system-wide update, and for all I know there might be a "kill-switch" in that software that will prohibit them from connecting after the deadline... - in which case, even the option of completely isolating my SONOS system from the web and limiting its use to my local library would not help me/us to preserve our CR100's a bit longer... - IF that's what they've done, then that is truly underhand and despicable - akin to the time Sony furtively installed rootkits on unsuspecting users of some of their software...
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Continuing development of the SONOS platform and continuing to allow older hardware to function are NOT mutually exclusive options.... - my SONOS network, along with my CR100's works perfectly right now, and does everything I need it to... why can't there just be an option to opt out of future updates?
Apple don't compel me to upgrade the iOS version on my iPads by threatening to "brick" the devices if I don't.. Indeed I do have a couple which I have deliberately kept back because an app I use has not been updated & won't work under the latest iOS versions...
Clearly Apple respects the fact that this is *MY* hardware, which, (much as with SONOS) I have paid handsomely for, and it is not for them to unilaterally decide for me what software version I must run, with no regard for the impact(s) that has on what I use my devices for. Equally as clear is the fact that SONOS do not share this approach to customer support, and if they want to play in the "premium" space, (which is firmly where their pricing puts them), then they have to have a premium approach to service as well. Deliberately bricking functioning hardware is incompatible with this approach, and is demonstrably unnecessary and overbearing.
Of course I'm not going to abandon my SONOS system just as a result of this - I've way too much invested in the system to be that petulant, but if this is an indication of how they are to behave, it does not bode well... what's next? - ZP80/ZP100's also to be killed off? - I have 4 of those, and that would kill half my entire SONOS system... should that happen, then at THAT point I absolutely am not going to continue to give SONOS my loyalty, when they clearly have such utter disregard for that loyalty (£100 voucher my arse), and do not reciprocate it. If they kill my old gen 1 units, then everything else that still works is going on eBay.... - in fact, I'm seriously wondering if that might not be a good plan now... - no-one knows how long those units have left to live, and they'd be completely worthless following any announcement if impending death, so perhaps at least now I could unload them on eBay & get *something* back for them - anything would be better than the pathetic £100 voucher...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Some of the misunderstandings in this thread of the nature of SonosNet and how it operates within a user's LAN would be hilarious... except that these misunderstandings lead to ludicrous and false assertions, such as the claim that once an Android controller has been enabled to connect to SonosNet it can connect to any SonosNet it comes across, with no further security. This has to be challenged, because it is utter nonsense.

Actually what is ludicrous is the fact that the average user who just wants to use the system that they bought and paid for as designed has to go through all this just to continue using their own property.

Has to be challenged...??? Challenge away ....the average user who is only interested in playing music is being forced into investigating methods to keep their property functional, everyone will bow to the mega posters superior knowledge I am sure .

What is ludicrous to me and actually very sad is the amount of time that a select few invest in disputing a subject that they actually admit means nothing to them. I can't actually understand the motive there.

Sonos CEO probably going to be looking for some new support guys for the next piece of hardware that gets the bullet, you guys should apply, you are doing a better job than the current Sonos Support crew for sure.
Userlevel 2
Hey sonos, reaaaaaalllly uncool announcement ?
CR100 means anyone can use it with ease, the app is far too slow and clunky and I’ve always hoped that you’d share a ‘how to’ on turning an old handset into a dedicated controller but i’ve Never seen that happen.
I bought two of the CR200 controllers.... both were expensive and both failed, then you binned the product off so the CR100 remained as the controller that is reliable and always works. Don’t bin it too and definitely don’t TELL me what to do with kit I’ve invested in.

£100 voucher, lovely but I currently have surplus units to the available rooms to play it in. So not much help.

How about spend invest some time telling us how to create a new dedicated controller with an old handset. That would make me happier.
Userlevel 3
(I posted this response on another thread of the same topic.) Yet another poor decision by Sonos. After recently dealing with the awful new controller software update, finally hitting the 65K library limit, and now this decision I will echo the sentiments of others here. Should Sonos stay with the decision to forcibly retire the CR100 I will part ways with the company and seek alternative solutions when the time comes. These controllers aren't the most elegant solution, but they are purpose-built and run like tanks. I've dropped mine a few times with no damage whatsoever. The stated reason for retirement feels quite bogus. After how many years of these controllers' use suddenly the battery charging is an issue? I have never noticed a problem. It appears to me this excuse is convenient cover for yet another hardware limitation in the speakers themselves. Sorry Sonos, keep your voucher as I will not need it. You will lose me as a customer based on this decision.