Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

Hi everyone, thanks for voicing your concerns here. We’re going to keep this as the main thread for this conversation so it’s all in one place. All the threads have been merged here, so my apologies if there are any conversations that had the flow messed up.

I want to provide more detail about exactly what will happen in the coming months and why. In early April, we will release a software upgrade that will no longer support the aging CR100. Here are your options:

• Accept the upgrade, understanding that your CR100 will no longer connect. This is our strong recommendation for two reasons: 1) due the age of the battery in the controller, it has the potential to overheat when left charging for extended periods of time 2) you will continue to receive the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates. This is a far better solution for safety and performance reasons, but we realize you’ll need to transition to a new controller. We have resources available to help you get set-up on an alternate controller and are offering a coupon code to sonos.com to help make the transition easier (amount varies regionally, one per household).
  • Ignore future upgrades, leaving your Sonos system on its current version. We do not recommend this option. If you do go this route, you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Additionally, opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system – not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100. It is necessary to configure your system in advance to avoid future updates. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.

Please reach out to discuss your specific situation and solutions with one of our team members, or if you’d like to better understand how to get set-up on an alternate controller. You can contact us directly at https://sonos.com/contact.

The CR100 can be disposed of at any local e-waste processing center in accordance with all local laws and regulations. To claim your coupon code or if you’d like a hand disposing of your CR100, please see here: https://www.sonos.com/cr100submit.

Updated March 23rd:
We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Well, here we are. Entirely predictable. The gloaters out in force after D-day. Haven't seen any of them condemn Sonos for the serial lies peddled in this sordid episode? Plenty quick enough to jump on posters that may have got details wrong through the thread. About sums it up.

When I first joined this thread I was taken aback by the aggressive, disruptive and condescending posts from these forum members. In other forums I have seen members either warned or banned for such behaviour but it would seem that it is acceptable here.

Regardless, much to their pleasure I will be leaving now and not coming back. Not only is Sonos as a company now dead to me, but due to the behaviour of these gloating know-it-alls, so is this forum.

I really pity those who only now find out that their CR100s have been, or will be, bricked by 8.5 and come to these forums looking for help and perhaps a little sympathy. I'm certain that neither will be forthcoming from the members in question.

Ikrananka, you will be missed. Thank you for your contributions (especially helping out with the lock-down instructions). I believe a number of so-called contributors on the SAVE the CR100 topic had no interest in saving it and were either working for Sonos or their PR firm to sway us to just bend over and take it or just like to stir up the bees nest. You know who you are and undermine the whole concept of what the community forum was designed to do - help Sonos users find solutions - not put them down for demanding honesty, answers, and solutions from Sonos.

I for one am not giving up and continue to have conversations with consumer protection organizations and tech publications regarding forced obsolescence, and Sonos' generally cynical view toward customers/users. I hope others will continue as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Well, here we are. Entirely predictable. The gloaters out in force after D-day. Haven't seen any of them condemn Sonos for the serial lies peddled in this sordid episode? Plenty quick enough to jump on posters that may have got details wrong through the thread. About sums it up.

When I first joined this thread I was taken aback by the aggressive, disruptive and condescending posts from these forum members. In other forums I have seen members either warned or banned for such behaviour but it would seem that it is acceptable here.

Regardless, much to their pleasure I will be leaving now and not coming back. Not only is Sonos as a company now dead to me, but due to the behaviour of these gloating know-it-alls, so is this forum.

I really pity those who only now find out that their CR100s have been, or will be, bricked by 8.5 and come to these forums looking for help and perhaps a little sympathy. I'm certain that neither will be forthcoming from the members in question.

Ikrananka,
much thanks for the work you did to create the lock down detail, glad I could help out in the process.
I will agree with the sentiments RE: this "Sonos Community".
I am just glad that I was not raised in such a community, I was raised with manners and respect for others and others thoughts whereby I do not twist what someone says and instantly berate them in the process.

I will still be here for a while trying to help anyone that actually poses a question, but will not waste my time with these message board campers, I am working to get back to my regularly scheduled life with my Sonos Gear (including the CR100s) playing the music, at least for the time being.

thanks for the great work you did, it became the final word to locking down the systems.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5

ANY third-party company can now use the Sonos API to integrate whatever they can conceive to enhance/extend Sonos.

So they bundled up the UPnP resources needed to integrate in a supported manner and called it an API? SWEET! How does an individual get access to this? Can you post a link to that download for all of us?

ANY third-party company can now use the Sonos API to integrate whatever they can conceive to enhance/extend Sonos.

So they bundled up the UPnP resources needed to integrate in a supported manner and called it an API? SWEET! How does an individual get access to this? Can you post a link to that download for all of us?

Invite only for now, but they’ve comitted to open it to hackers this year.

https://developer.sonos.com/
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Just getting caught up on the action here for the last couple of days. Wow!

@Chris - RVA - Regarding RIP CR100 Gravestone.
What is with the 1937?? Significance over 2005 when it was first sold?

@ Frequent Flyers
Looks Like the vultures are really circling around here now that 8.5 has been released. Hope you're all enjoying those great new features in 8.5.

The fact that the CR100 is still mentioned in performance/convenience comparisons here and still the preferred controller by anybody after 13 years goes to show the awesome engineering and software developement of Sonos. I'm sure it took plenty of resources to keep it going over the years, and I am thankful for that. I wish they invested more thought and developement into "Scaling" their backend firmware delivery system to be prepared for the deemed "Obsolescence" of the Legacy Hardware.

Oh well, It's all water under the bridge now.

From Sonos' perspective it's RIP CR100.

Thanks to All who helped out to Firewall the Software Updates and all the efforts to try get another solution other than the "toss it away" mentality. We will see how long we can keep the CR100's going.

From My Perspective it's LONG LIVE THE CR100

As an early Adopter with over a dozen devices I can say Sonos really has been one of the best investments I have ever made for my house. Regarding the CR100, "you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands"
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
As sad as the actions of the untrustworthy management at Sonos are in every aspect of this debacle I am more saddened by the realisation that a group of people exist that can spend ridiculous amounts of time and energy commenting on a subject that does not concern them at all.

To the multi thousand posters here I offer a parting piece of advice. Turn off your terminal , open your bedroom curtains and when your eyes and skin have recovered from the application of sunlight,venture out into the world and start engaging with real people like mummy has been telling you for years.

To the guy that keeps bleating on about voice control, this little piece of advice could change your sad existence, if you leave your bedroom and venture out like mummy says, who knows you may meet a kindred soul, they may even be called Alexa or Alex..........how good would that be........?

Theres a good boy......

Out.
Userlevel 1
Here’s a question. I have 2 Cr100’s (still working) and having locked down my setup by blocking both URL’s and port 444 I’m all OK so far. Having locked down my home network, I think my risk is if someone (my wife) accidentally updates her Sonos app on her iPhone via 4g or her work Wi-fi and then connects to the network back home. If someone connects to my home network with an updates iOS controller, what would happen? I’ve blocked relevant URLs so logic says that my players and controllers wouldn’t be able to update because I’ve blocked access to the update servers, but would the updated iOS software be able to ‘infect’ the firmware on my sonos players (I have 10 of them...) in some way?
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Here’s a question. I have 2 Cr100’s (still working) and having locked down my setup by blocking both URL’s and port 444 I’m all OK so far. Having locked down my home network, I think my risk is if someone (my wife) accidentally updates her Sonos app on her iPhone via 4g or her work Wi-fi and then connects to the network back home. If someone connects to my home network with an updates iOS controller, what would happen? I’ve blocked relevant URLs so logic says that my players and controllers wouldn’t be able to update because I’ve blocked access to the update servers, but would the updated iOS software be able to ‘infect’ the firmware on my sonos players (I have 10 of them...) in some way?

You should be safe if you have port 4444 blocked.

To be safe change the wifi password.

Controllers can't trigger updates to the devices if they can't connect to them.

Disable Auto Updates on all controllers. Don't let friends devices on your network unless you are sure they are on the same version as your sonos. Best to just NOT let them on the network unless you are ready to risk losing your CR100's.
Userlevel 3
It is hard to imagine a company doing this to folks who have spent large amount of dollars on equipment. Imagine if Intel or Microsoft did this to their customers? What if Intel sent a kill code to outdated CPU's? Or Microsoft sent kill code to Windows XP users? Nope, they just let their customers know that support for those products will be discontinued but the customer who paid for their products will still be able to use them. If they continue to work for them, so be it. And, to the folks who are rolling this thread basically telling folks to just suck it up, imagine if your were watching your first gen flat screen TV in your shop or garage. You receive an email telling you the TV is going to shut off and not work because the company has determined that it is outdated. You go out to your shop and sure enough, it doesn't work. This despite working just fine the day before. If you don't have a dog in this fight, then it is pretty useless for you to comment on this thread. If you have a CR100 or more and you are happy about how they work, then I believe we have a right to be pissed off.

For Sonos to kill hardware that works perfectly is just crazy. These things were not cheap and if you have several (I have at least 6) then the investment is quite considerable. They do everything I need them to do. I have three Russound systems with 18 zones. Sonos has been fantastic and has worked perfectly with the CR100s. I have other Sonos equipment to expand and extend my network to three buildings with two different zones. Again, the CR100 works perfect as i typically listen to Pandora or stream music from my NAS.

So far, my CR100s are still working. If they stop, I plan on looking into Google Chromecast Audio as this seems like a good way to integrate into my existing system. I may also look into a couple of cheap tablets on eBay. If the Google way works better, then I'll have no problem removing every piece of Sonos equipment from my property and selling it all on eBay. Fool me once, shame on you....

They have done exactly this. Their “Works With Sonos” seal of approval is how they are implementing, along with a developer API. The iPort XPress is among the first third-party products in this program; it is even offered on Sonos’ web store.

But the iPort Xpress isn't a full function controller is it? Plus it is useless for those of us who are non Apple fanbois..

The point is, ANY third-party company can now use the Sonos API to integrate whatever they can conceive to enhance/extend Sonos. The NEEO remote looks like a winning example, perhaps they are in the process of gaining the “Works With Sonos” Good Housekeeping seal.

I’m certain that if there were a large enough base clamoring for a CR100 replacement, a third party will build one. Highly unlikely that this base is anywhere near large enough, but a universal controller like the NEEO, with full Sonos Control among hundreds of other devices, will have enough customers, if priced reasonably.

This post reminded me that I had a NEEO I got several months ago to evaluate that was still unopened because I hadn't got around to it yet. I set it up this evening with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how much better it is than any Android tablet hack. At first I was concerned about the tiny touch screen until I started discovering where each of the critical functions are also mirrored on hard buttons. I have hard buttons for play/pause, next track/previous track, volume, and mute as well as dedicated back and home hard buttons. When it is sitting in its drop in charging cradle it looks like any other black stick remote but pick it up and you get precise tactile response and a bright vibrant screen. I need to test it some more but so far it is the closest thing I have seen to a true CR300.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You should be safe if you have port 4444 blocked.

To be safe change the wifi password.

Controllers can't trigger updates to the devices if they can't connect to them.

Disable Auto Updates on all controllers. Don't let friends devices on your network unless you are sure they are on the same version as your sonos. Best to just NOT let them on the network unless you are ready to risk losing your CR100's.

if you block the URL addresses and port 4444 as listed in the lock down procedure, AND you take the time to test the "Check for updates" on your PC and fail, then you should be fine. (If during the test your PC tells you there IS an update, stop, cancel, and retry blocking the website again, just DO NOT allow the update.)

anyone coming on your network with an updated controller AND being able to "see" your Sonos units may report the players need to be updated, BUT the players will go out on their own to download the update and fail, (so long as your network is blocked)
in the end, the 3rd party may be told they cannot connect and work YOUR players..... while your controllers and players are safe behind your wall.
Make sure to follow the detail on turning off auto-updates on your IOS and Android devices, if you have not backed up your IOS APP before the upgrade you might already be out of luck on that, but with Android you can easily save and install prior versions as they are available per the document.

only reason I see to change the WiFi password would be to keep the 3rd party off your network, but I am assuming that is not the goal here...... people come into my house all the time and I allow them access. BUT they cannot spark my Sonos gear to start an update since I blocked the URLs and Port.
so long as you block the URL thru your gateway your devices will not be able to upgrade.

hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
It is hard to imagine a company doing this to folks who have spent large amount of dollars on equipment. Imagine if Intel or Microsoft did this to their customers? What if Intel sent a kill code to outdated CPU's? Or Microsoft sent kill code to Windows XP users? Nope, they just let their customers know that support for those products will be discontinued but the customer who paid for their products will still be able to use them. If they continue to work for them, so be it. And, to the folks who are rolling this thread basically telling folks to just suck it up, imagine if your were watching your first gen flat screen TV in your shop or garage. You receive an email telling you the TV is going to shut off and not work because the company has determined that it is outdated. You go out to your shop and sure enough, it doesn't work. This despite working just fine the day before. If you don't have a dog in this fight, then it is pretty useless for you to comment on this thread. If you have a CR100 or more and you are happy about how they work, then I believe we have a right to be pissed off.

For Sonos to kill hardware that works perfectly is just crazy. These things were not cheap and if you have several (I have at least 6) then the investment is quite considerable. They do everything I need them to do. I have three Russound systems with 18 zones. Sonos has been fantastic and has worked perfectly with the CR100s. I have other Sonos equipment to expand and extend my network to three buildings with two different zones. Again, the CR100 works perfect as i typically listen to Pandora or stream music from my NAS.

So far, my CR100s are still working. If they stop, I plan on looking into Google Chromecast Audio as this seems like a good way to integrate into my existing system. I may also look into a couple of cheap tablets on eBay. If the Google way works better, then I'll have no problem removing every piece of Sonos equipment from my property and selling it all on eBay. Fool me once, shame on you....

switz
Go back into this topic and find the link to the blocking instructions.
follow them, they work, and will keep your system from allowing updates.
if in doubt, unplug your Sonos gear from the network (or power if you cannot verify your Wi-Fi is not allowing connection) until you can verify you have properly blocked the URLs.

if one controller is able to update, and it sparks the updates on the player, you will lose your CR100s.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 3

Make sure to follow the detail on turning off auto-updates on your IOS and Android devices, if you have not backed up your IOS APP before the upgrade you might already be out of luck on that, but with Android you can easily save and install prior versions as they are available per the document.

So I was playing around with this - tryng to disable the Sonos iOS app from updating wasn't working for me. Disabling background updates / cellular / etc didn't work, as I kept getting an update pushed to it. Ultimately what I found that seems to be working is to do the following:
use iMazing, get the .ipa file
copy it (just in case) and rename it to .zip
Open up the zip file, and remove the iTunesMetadata.plist file and the META-INF folder (you should be left with only a folder called Payload, and an artwork file
rename the zip file back to an .ipa file
Using iMazing, remove 8.5.1 from your phone
upload the modified .ipa file

At that point, I haven't received an update to my phone despite other apps getting updated.
Userlevel 1
Thanks all, I have tested the update process (before and after the 8.5 update) and it all seems to be locked down, so ok there. Sound like I can let people onto my network safely with a later version on their phones, which mitigates the main risk for me...

Patmill, that sounds like great advice re. The zip file... I do have a backup via iMazing as per the advice... I’ll have a go at this later as it’ll lock it down further...

I know it’s rubbish that Sonos have done this and everyone I tell can’t believe a company can do this. If they came around to my house and bashed the CR100’s with a hammer it would have the same effect and they’d be breaking the law, has anyone had any advice about legal obligations regarding their actions? I’m assuming there’ll be something in the legal t&c’s that we all sign up to without reading, but has anyone investigated it?
Userlevel 3
I know companies that sell software have EULA that basically gives them the right to do what ever the hell they want. But, is hardware different? Can a company just send a signal to your hardware and render it a paper weight? Seems like there are over 400 people who have enough skin in the game that they signed a petition. I for one would be willing to put up $100 for legal action (class action?) and if all 400 would be willing that's $40k. This is just flat wrong and it is arrogant for any company to treat its customer base like this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I know companies that sell software have EULA that basically gives them the right to do what ever the hell they want. But, is hardware different? Can a company just send a signal to your hardware and render it a paper weight? Seems like there are over 400 people who have enough skin in the game that they signed a petition. I for one would be willing to put up $100 for legal action (class action?) and if all 400 would be willing that's $40k. This is just flat wrong and it is arrogant for any company to treat its customer base like this.Must be worth a £/$100 punt!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
There have been some very helpful posts here so I was wondering if any of you have some level of experience/knowledge on how to use direct commands sent to players/connect units to control them. I'm locked down b/c everyone in my household still loves and uses the CR100. However I've come across a couple of players (some friends have given up on Sonos after their lame move to kill off the CR100 and given some of their gear away). I know generally once you lock down you can't add any additional new gear (stupid move Sonos given the future potential revenue opportunity from long-term loyal customers - at least those who would ever give Sonos another dime), but wondered if there isn't some clever way to add components through the direct command while bypassing forced updates.

community bullies who don't care about the CR100 need not reply 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
There have been some very helpful posts here so I was wondering if any of you have some level of experience/knowledge on how to use direct commands sent to players/connect units to control them. I'm locked down b/c everyone in my household still loves and uses the CR100. However I've come across a couple of players (some friends have given up on Sonos after their lame move to kill off the CR100 and given some of their gear away). I know generally once you lock down you can't add any additional new gear (stupid move Sonos given the future potential revenue opportunity from long-term loyal customers - at least those who would ever give Sonos another dime), but wondered if there isn't some clever way to add components through the direct command while bypassing forced updates.

community bullies who don't care about the CR100 need not reply ;-)

Kassey
if locked down you SHOULD be able to add components to your system, HOWEVER, they must already be on the same firmware you have (Assuming 8.4). and the lock down cannot block all of Sonos.com as they must still get connected to Sonos for product registration which will allow the "new" player to join your network.
unfortunately if Sonos does not allow a true "Legacy" option we will not be able to add anything to our systems unless its already on the same version, all units must be on the same version to "play nice" together, and the only version you can "upgrade" to is the most current, which will not work if you are locked down.

While there are a few 3rd party control options, I believe you must use the App (PC or PHONE based) to add a component.
If you friends allowed the 8.5 or higher to install, the units are at the point of no return.

if anyone else has any additional detail then please share,

Sonos has turned you into a user, no longer a buyer of their product.
welcome to the club.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Kassey
if locked down you SHOULD be able to add components to your system, HOWEVER, they must already be on the same firmware you have (Assuming 8.4). and the lock down cannot block all of Sonos.com as they must still get connected to Sonos for product registration which will allow the "new" player to join your network.
unfortunately if Sonos does not allow a true "Legacy" option we will not be able to add anything to our systems unless its already on the same version, all units must be on the same version to "play nice" together, and the only version you can "upgrade" to is the most current, which will not work if you are locked down.

While there are a few 3rd party control options, I believe you must use the App (PC or PHONE based) to add a component.
If you friends allowed the 8.5 or higher to install, the units are at the point of no return.

welcome to the club.

Thanks Steve! Looks like there were pre-8.4 (my system is all 8.4 now). I wonder if the outcome would be the same - no ability to add in. I'm hesitant to experiment as I don't want to loose the CR100 until they die a natural death.

Kassey

welcome to the club.
My experience has always been that moving a speaker from one system to another requires the speaker to be factory reset and then updated. I am not sure that that is a hard and fast rule. If it is, then that would rule out buying speakers even if you are assured they are on 8.4. Even moving speakers between my set ups in two properties has required factory reset. Things like playlists, favourites and settings are stored on the players, and I am guessing that Sonos doesn't like the inconsistency. I stress that I am not 100% sure of this as a general principle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Kassey

welcome to the club.

Thanks Steve! Looks like there were pre-8.4 (my system is all 8.4 now). I wonder if the outcome would be the same - no ability to add in. I'm hesitant to experiment as I don't want to loose the CR100 until they die a natural death.

I have not had the chance to test this, but based on what I have seen if you try to add anything not on the same version you desire (8.4) then the item would need to be "upgraded" to work with your gear, and he only upgrade available off the web is current, so no, I do not believe you can do it.
a buddy's system, while we has working on the lock down, ended up being upgraded by his son not knowing the lock down was being worked on. ,at this point I am waiting to see if I get a chance to play with one of his players, but I do not believe there is a practical way of "going back"
one of the reasons we advised everyone to get ALL their gear upgraded to the same level before D-Day.

hope this helps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
[quote=stevecomp3]

I have not had the chance to test this, but based on what I have seen if you try to add anything not on the same version you desire (8.4) then the item would need to be "upgraded" to work with your gear, and he only upgrade available off the web is current, so no, I do not believe you can do it.
a buddy's system, while we has working on the lock down, ended up being upgraded by his son not knowing the lock down was being worked on. ,at this point I am waiting to see if I get a chance to play with one of his players, but I do not believe there is a practical way of "going back"
one of the reasons we advised everyone to get ALL their gear upgraded to the same level before D-Day.

hope this helps.

Thanks! I found this on the net and while I'm not skilled enough to even think about how this might help the cause of those trying to add components to their locked-down system, it's pretty interesting to see what's behind the curtain of these amazing devices. While I DO NOT suggest anyone except developers and Sonos tech try to manipulate their equipment with direct commands, the status check was very interesting to view. At least I was able to determine the MAC addresses:
http://bsteiner.info/articles/hidden-sonos-interface

...parting thought, Sonos designed some amazing gear and software when it was at its prime. The CR100s were built to last and maybe designed too well for the current management/profit plan. I built our entire whole-home music system around them and the early players etc. then expanded my system to include the Playbar, Sub, and more just last year. Other than WiFi noise issues, it's been remarkably resilient and scalable... until now. These weren't some throw-away tablet system deemed to be useless in 10 years, they were music system controllers, damn fine ones, yet still usable today. I/we can't just toss them into the e-waste bin, not cool! It's like LG killing my smart remote because they updated the TV software.

community bullies need not reply.
I had every intention of investing fairly heavily into Sonos tech, but having considered the reason for and the contents of this thread, I certainly won't be doing that. I won't be recommending Sonos to anybody else either; quite the opposite.

I feel relieved that I'm only into it with the cheap pair of Play 1's I bought to trial. I'm interested to see how long we get to use them for before they are teminated from afar.

I'm enjoying the fact that I can't actually remember what it was I originally came for!
Doesn't matter, I'm very pleased I landed here.

The few obnoxious clowns wafting around in here came as no surprise. More surprising, having browsed the forums a little, is how much of a spineless flake Ryan S is. Keep up the good work, Sir!
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
To the guy that keeps bleating on about voice control, this little piece of advice could change your sad existence, if you leave your bedroom and venture out like mummy says, who knows you may meet a kindred soul, they may even be called Alexa or Alex..........how good would that be........?

I often catch my kids telling Alexa (we use another name because the dog's is similar) to "Shut the F*** Up" How funny that she keeps harping on...;)
I smell stinky socks.