Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I use too many other apps to do this manually!

Agree with that. Especially across a bunch of iPhones, iPads etc.

I have switched over to SonosPhone rather than Sonos App. Biggest issue is it doesn't do alarms so have to be done via the CR100 - not hard.

I though the Sonos App reduced functionality once it detected an upgrade relating to the settings. I've avoided the desktop app since the upgrade.

Dave
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The desktop app (at least in my experience) does not update itself, especially when set to not check for updates. I have launched mine since 8.5 arrived and it is still on 8.4. Interestingly, the iOS app on my iPhone 8 says it is running 8.5.1 under Sonos Controller for iPhone although I have obviously not run the update.
My test is of the same controller connected to SonosNet or WiFi. There is no difference in practice on speeds ... and there is no theoretical ground for thinking there would be.I seem to remember years back that when the Android App appeared people liked it because it could "talked" directly via SonosNet and this was better that the Windows / iOS Apps that went only via WiFi.

Not using the Android App I had thought the reason people thought it was better than Windows / iOS Apps was speed of response. Am I miss-remembering?

It was only "better" because it allowed you to use Sonosnet, which had better coverage in parts of the home that may not have the best WiFi signal. Nothing was ever said about it being "better" because it was faster.

Just drop the "WiFi causes a lag, Sonosnet doesn't" shtick. You were wrong. Best to stop digging.
I received a CR100 from a friend since he didn't use it anymore cause he bought a NEEO. As soon as I saw that neeo in his house, I immediately trashed the CR100 and bought one for myself. It is unbelievably well built, fully controls my Sonos and even replaces my Harmony.

I am really no fan of companies killing products with software updates, but this happens more and more often since almost all products nowadays are relying on cloud services. Anyways, give neeo (www.neeo.com) a try, I bet you won't miss your CR100 after that, its a beautiful alternative and does so much more.

Why couldn't Sonos have done this? If they don't believe their is a market for their own controller, why couldn't they have worked with a firm like NEEO or Harmony to produce an officially endorsed controller? After all they have done the reverse and worked with Amazon, Spotify, Apple and co to get compatibility with their services. Everyone's complaint on this thread is that their is no alternative, but there could have been. Instead of having a customer relations fiasco they could have created a positive experience instead.

Why couldn't Sonos have done this? If they don't believe their is a market for their own controller, why couldn't they have worked with a firm like NEEO or Harmony to produce an officially endorsed controller? After all they have done the reverse and worked with Amazon, Spotify, Apple and co to get compatibility with their services. Everyone's complaint on this thread is that their is no alternative, but there could have been. Instead of having a customer relations fiasco they could have created a positive experience instead.

They have done exactly this. Their “Works With Sonos” seal of approval is how they are implementing, along with a developer API. The iPort XPress is among the first third-party products in this program; it is even offered on Sonos’ web store.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

They have done exactly this. Their “Works With Sonos” seal of approval is how they are implementing, along with a developer API. The iPort XPress is among the first third-party products in this program; it is even offered on Sonos’ web store.

But the iPort Xpress isn't a full function controller is it? Plus it is useless for those of us who are non Apple fanbois..
Just used my CR100 voucher and was surprised to see that it got me £125 off of my Sonos One purchase rather than the £100 I was expecting...happy days
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Well, here we are. Entirely predictable. The gloaters out in force after D-day. Haven't seen any of them condemn Sonos for the serial lies peddled in this sordid episode? Plenty quick enough to jump on posters that may have got details wrong through the thread. About sums it up.

When I first joined this thread I was taken aback by the aggressive, disruptive and condescending posts from these forum members. In other forums I have seen members either warned or banned for such behaviour but it would seem that it is acceptable here.

Regardless, much to their pleasure I will be leaving now and not coming back. Not only is Sonos as a company now dead to me, but due to the behaviour of these gloating know-it-alls, so is this forum.

I really pity those who only now find out that their CR100s have been, or will be, bricked by 8.5 and come to these forums looking for help and perhaps a little sympathy. I'm certain that neither will be forthcoming from the members in question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
To get back on topic for a while - I see there is now an update 7.5.1 already. SInce I am the only one in my house using the iOS apps (on 2 ipads and 2 iphones) I am going to see how long this can work. My wife uses the 2 x CR100's in the house. So far, all the apps on the devices have updated themselves although when they ask to do the update to the system, I just select 'not now'. The CR100's are still working as are the apps. I'll keep seeing how this goes and since I am the only one using the apps there is a good chance I can extend the CR100's life! I have set all the apps and the PC app to not check for updates but this seems to have happened anyhow. Probably due to the devices being set to automatically download app updates. I use too many other apps to do this manually!

be very careful with this. If your apps move more than 2 releases ahead of the firmware on the devices you will be forced to update everything before you can even open the app and your cr100 will be dead
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
...Just drop the "WiFi causes a lag, Sonosnet doesn't" shtick. You were wrong. Best to stop digging.
I am not digging I have already owned up to being incorrect (unlike others in this thread!), but I am keen to understand why I have been under an incorrect impression all this time.
Well, here we are. Entirely predictable. The gloaters out in force after D-day. Haven't seen any of them condemn Sonos for the serial lies peddled in this sordid episode? Plenty quick enough to jump on posters that may have got details wrong through the thread. About sums it up.

When I first joined this thread I was taken aback by the aggressive, disruptive and condescending posts from these forum members. In other forums I have seen members either warned or banned for such behaviour but it would seem that it is acceptable here.

Regardless, much to their pleasure I will be leaving now and not coming back. Not only is Sonos as a company now dead to me, but due to the behaviour of these gloating know-it-alls, so is this forum.

I really pity those who only now find out that their CR100s have been, or will be, bricked by 8.5 and come to these forums looking for help and perhaps a little sympathy. I'm certain that neither will be forthcoming from the members in question.

bye
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

bye
Jouster74, your comment proves the point Ikrananka was making better and more succinctly that you know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
My test is of the same controller connected to SonosNet or WiFi. There is no difference in practice on speeds ... and there is no theoretical ground for thinking there would be.I seem to remember years back that when the Android App appeared people liked it because it could "talked" directly via SonosNet and this was better that the Windows / iOS Apps that went only via WiFi.

Not using the Android App I had thought the reason people thought it was better than Windows / iOS Apps was speed of response. Am I miss-remembering?
iYes you are misremembering. The key advantage is that on large installations the controller can connect to the network even when out of WiFi range, by taking advantage of the fact that SonosNet is a mesh.
Many thanks for that clarification John B

But the iPort Xpress isn't a full function controller is it? Plus it is useless for those of us who are non Apple fanbois..

The point is, ANY third-party company can now use the Sonos API to integrate whatever they can conceive to enhance/extend Sonos. The NEEO remote looks like a winning example, perhaps they are in the process of gaining the “Works With Sonos” Good Housekeeping seal.

I’m certain that if there were a large enough base clamoring for a CR100 replacement, a third party will build one. Highly unlikely that this base is anywhere near large enough, but a universal controller like the NEEO, with full Sonos Control among hundreds of other devices, will have enough customers, if priced reasonably.
...Just drop the "WiFi causes a lag, Sonosnet doesn't" shtick. You were wrong. Best to stop digging.
I am not digging I have already owned up to being incorrect (unlike others in this thread!), but I am keen to understand why I have been under an incorrect impression all this time.
I don't think we can help there. As I have said before, there are several advantages to running in Boost mode, and it can sometimes be helpful to have a controller that connects to SonosNet. Perhaps you put that together with your experience of the CR100 being quicker to use than the app, put 2 and 2 together and got 5. Perhaps it wasn't like that at all. Does it matter?

The point is, ANY third-party company can now use the Sonos API to integrate whatever they can conceive to enhance/extend Sonos. The NEEO remote looks like a winning example, perhaps they are in the process of gaining the “Works With Sonos” Good Housekeeping seal.

I’m certain that if there were a large enough base clamoring for a CR100 replacement, a third party will build one. Highly unlikely that this base is anywhere near large enough, but a universal controller like the NEEO, with full Sonos Control among hundreds of other devices, will have enough customers, if priced reasonably.
i also really like the look of the Nero remote but the picture ice is definitely a sticking point for me.

I already have the Elite which does all I need and now ALSO has Sonos integration (if using WiFi as opposed to sobosNet which I don’t use)

If it ever comes down to the price of an elite on Amazon offer days (£149) I may be tempted.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
To get back on topic for a while - I see there is now an update 7.5.1 already. SInce I am the only one in my house using the iOS apps (on 2 ipads and 2 iphones) I am going to see how long this can work. My wife uses the 2 x CR100's in the house. So far, all the apps on the devices have updated themselves although when they ask to do the update to the system, I just select 'not now'. The CR100's are still working as are the apps. I'll keep seeing how this goes and since I am the only one using the apps there is a good chance I can extend the CR100's life! I have set all the apps and the PC app to not check for updates but this seems to have happened anyhow. Probably due to the devices being set to automatically download app updates. I use too many other apps to do this manually!

I don't know your system but you are potentially living dangerously if you want to be able to continue using those CR100's. If the zone players / speakers can connect to update.sonos.com and/or the firmware server (I don't recall its exact subdomain syntax) then all you need to brick the CR100's is one clueless user. Your wife could do it via the Cr100 when it nags her that an update is available, for example. If you block the right sub-domains, that can't happen.

I am also very happy with SonoPhone and SonoPad. Better iOS application than the OEM iOS App; the features that are missing I don't use (Alarm, for example). Plus,the developer can only do a better job of supporting 'legacy' systems than Sonos, by default.

My take on the CR100-retirement implementation method is that Sonos is testing the waters for a reaction. If the boiling frog doesn't jump out of its pan then all is well and the rails are greased to retire the CR200 also. Why else implement a firmware change that merely stops the zone players from acknowledging the CR100? It's a simple flip of the switch back if customers convince them to change their minds.

My system has managed the transition thanks to the firewall and DNS blackholing being effective. That leaves my options open until the day that something breaks or equipment has to be added. When I get to that bridge, I'll consider my options, but Sonos certainly has done it's best to reduce my switching costs and customer loyalty.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

be very careful with this. If your apps move more than 2 releases ahead of the firmware on the devices you will be forced to update everything before you can even open the app and your cr100 will be dead

Thanks for the warning. When it reaches that stage, which will be the next release, will I be able just ditch the iOS app and only use the CR100’s and the CR200?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I’ve just downloaded the Sonophone app. Looks very good but I cannot see any way to get into detailed settings like room auto play, volume fixing, etc. I’ve also tried ZonePlay but this seems to have similar limitations. If anyone else has experience with these apps please confirm whether this is correct or not.
It would be good to see if one of those really clever people could refashion the CR100 using Rasberry Pi innards that emulated a controller that Sonos would talk to...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ok. My desktop app is still running 8.4 and does not check for updates. All the settings I needed are available there. I’ve deleted all my iOS Sonos (official) controller apps on all my devices. My system should never know that time has left it behind. Let’s wait and see! Surely the zone players and Play 1 won’t look for updates?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I don't think we can help there.
Actually your earlier post did "help".

Perhaps you put that together with your experience of the CR100 being quicker to use than the app, put 2 and 2 together and got 5.Could be.

Does it matter?Yes to me, if I have been incorrect or wrong I want to understand why, now I do we can move on (please!).
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Why don't you start a new thread? This lag issue is totally off topic! Who cares about a few milliseconds?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Thanks for the warning. When it reaches that stage, which will be the next release, will I be able just ditch the iOS app and only use the CR100’s and the CR200?

No, the danger is now. See thread above. If anyone on your home network hits a update button, the zone players will update to 8.5 and start ignoring the CR100s. Anyone on your Sonos network can initiate the update and no one can downgrade the firmware after the fact. Thus, once the update is initiated on your home network, all zone players will no longer respond to the CR100s in your home.

That's the joy of owning equipment from a supplier that does not give you a choice re: the firmware you get to run. At best, you 'freeze' your system at a particular firmware revision by blocking access to the relevant servers. But, should a component fail, should you want to add a new speaker or zone player, then you likely are out of luck. Sonos doesn't apparently tolerate firmware mismatches, some types of hardware resets may also require a new firmware from the mothership.

I've buttoned up my zone players and hopefully get to enjoy them with my CR100s for a few more years. The good news is that I now know how to blackhole DNS entries and block ports on my edgerouter.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Why don't you start a new thread? This lag issue is totally off topic! Who cares about a few milliseconds?
Don't jump to conclusions. If you go up a couple of pages, you'll see that the post quite relevant. TJRL feels that his CR100 is more responsive than the App, so it's another reason he prefers having the CR100 as a tool to manage his home audio system.

I have noted lag in both use instances and tie it back principally to the use of a burner HDD as a source for my Sonos content. Presumably, it goes to sleep and needs to spin up whenever the Sonos system comes to life, creating an initial lag. Later lag instances tend to be shorter but are consistent with the use of a 2.5" spinner as a source for the content. My NAS would be quicker, but there is no way I'd downgrade its security to SMB1v1 just for Sonos. But that's for another thread.