Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
8.5 is now out in the wild!!

iOS app has an update

strangely it doesnt even mention this loss of functionality in the release notes on the app store !
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sonos-controller/id293523031?mt=8
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
yep no mention at all... bet they think they covered it enough in the 8.4 release
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm not sure I get what Sonos mean when using the word scalable... I don't see why allowing users to remain on a stable major release is something that has to scale. The amount of space required to store the binaries is negligible these days and code changes required to allow easy locking of systems (to avoid accidental update) isn't exactly ground breaking stuff.

One might even argue it's a good idea full stop for those that would prefer not to be on the rollercoaster of current releases and new/improved (beta) function.

It's become almost the thing to have these days with Continuous Development Streams and stable Long Term Support Releases being offered by many software companies, even the likes of IBM...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

iOS app has an update

strangely it doesnt even mention this loss of functionality in the release notes on the app store !
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sonos-controller/id293523031?mt=8

Not strange at all for Sonos since they have already demonstrated to us quite clearly how disingenuous they have become with the dangerous battery debacle.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
A reply from Mike Carlino to my second email from yesterday.....his comments are in bold.

For those that don't wish to recycle:

1. Since you have confirmed that it is our choice to forego updates and carry on using our CR100s, could you please advise:

- what specifically we need to block in our routers to prevent updates while still maintaining Sonos access to the internet, e.g. for streaming music services.

--> Specifically there is no universal router setting that would prevent updates to your Sonos. While it is possible, as some have indicated in the community, to block communications with all links related to sonos.com, this is not a simple, robust, consistent, or guaranteed method, nor does it prevent external factors from breaking such a configuration. To prevent further updates on your Sonos system you would need to turn off "check for updates" on your Sonos system as well as app auto-updates on any other smart-devices that may have the Sonos app installed.

Wow - it's not possible to provide a "robust" method to block communications with Sonos. Really!!!! Are they not the company that designed this system and therefore know exactly what methods/protocols/ports/urls etc. are in use? My only conclusion to this reply is that this is information that they do not want to publicise - something to hide perhaps?

Even more reason to block ALL internet access to/from your Sonos system (e.g. via Parental Controls on your router).
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
My reply back to Mike Carlino:
-------------------
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply and clarification of the voucher offer - I have passed your comments on to the rest of the community for their information.

As to legacy software, at least you used the words "currently" / "at this time" and not "never"!

We can only hope that in time, Sonos will have a change of direction and offer some kind of legacy software in order to fully maximise the life of ALL the great hardware that is still in use today throughout the world.

Many thanks

John
----------------
And at that, I think it is time to draw a line - there is no point pushing the issue further in my mind at this time.

So, that's me pretty much done here.

Yes, it's been a bumpy ride. We've had some laughs along the way and I feel I've made some friends here (give up you'll set me off) so I'd like to say......right that's enough of the Oscar speech.

Finally, I'll make a note in my calendar to come back in 12 months time to start the thread - "Who's still using their CR100s then?"

Best wishes to you all and enjoy your CR100s for as long as you can.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
A reply from Mike Carlino to my second email from yesterday.....his comments are in bold.

For those that don't wish to recycle:

1. Since you have confirmed that it is our choice to forego updates and carry on using our CR100s, could you please advise:

- what specifically we need to block in our routers to prevent updates while still maintaining Sonos access to the internet, e.g. for streaming music services.

--> Specifically there is no universal router setting that would prevent updates to your Sonos. While it is possible, as some have indicated in the community, to block communications with all links related to sonos.com, this is not a simple, robust, consistent, or guaranteed method, nor does it prevent external factors from breaking such a configuration. To prevent further updates on your Sonos system you would need to turn off "check for updates" on your Sonos system as well as app auto-updates on any other smart-devices that may have the Sonos app installed.

Wow - it's not possible to provide a "robust" method to block communications with Sonos. Really!!!! Are they not the company that designed this system and therefore know exactly what methods/protocols/ports/urls etc. are in use? My only conclusion to this reply is that this is information that they do not want to publicise - something to hide perhaps?

Agreed. Staggering.

I've been biting my tongue since I decided to succumb but I am more pi**ed than ever.

That my decision was influenced by a downright lie.
That the company has tried to pass off the one per household trick.
That they have caved on both positions.
That they are making things as hard as possible for their customers.
That senior management take long vacations at a time when poor customer relations ought to be being managed.
That vacation means vacation - very un-American?
That there are no subordinates to handle or there is no urgency to respond.

As a track in many collections would play 'No more heroes any more'

Just another company.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
RIP
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

So, that's me pretty much done here.

Thanks for all of your efforts John - much appreciated.
@johngolfuk. Regarding control in your garage. Looks like getting a Bridge is now a non-starter. With an Ethernet cable you would be able to control using a CR100 or Android controller connected to SonosNet.

@ratty's idea of connecting the garage speaker over wifi would give you the flexibility you want, but you would have to connect the controller over wifi, so not the CR100.
@ratty's idea of connecting the garage speaker over wifi would give you the flexibility you want, but you would have to connect the controller over wifi, so not the CR100.
There is another possibility. Wire an AP to the incoming Ethernet. Wire a WiFi bridge to the PLAY:1. (Many devices can function as AP or bridge depending on config, e.g. a cheap Netgear WN3000RP.) The P:1 will remain as WM:0, i.e. SonosNet.

Alternatively use EoP, local to the garage, to bridge the Ethernet to the PLAY:1's location.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

iOS app has an update...
"Every update delivers upgrades and improvements to your Sonos system. Update to the latest version to make sure you get the best possible experience"
Now that is the definition of a lie right there! 😞
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Man's still got drill. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah, my mistake - I thought that's what they did!

OK, here's the scenario. I have a play:1 which I cart around the house and use in any room when I temporarily want music.

But if I want to use it in my garage it's too far away to connect via wireless to another Sonos unit in the house.

The garage has a LAN connection but it's out of the way so I want something that I can connect permanently to that LAN which will then give me SonosNet in the garage. That way I can just plug the play:1 in at the mains and get on with it.

Is there a box that will do that?

John,
I have 2 barns, the front barn is connected to the house VIA a fiber link, but I could not get a low voltage conduit to the back barn so I ended up using a BOOST in the front barn to enable the Play5's to work quite nicely, and then I placed one of the Bridges in the window of the back barn, so the bridge simply rebroadcasts everything to the back barn. between the bridge and the boost I get plenty of coverage in the back barn to also run a Play5 without issue.
the 2 barns are only 75' apart, but the Boost is in the middle of the front barn and the back barn is steel walled so I had to put the bridge in the window outside of the "tin-Can"
If I wanted to I could even connect a PC into the port on the Bridge (in the rear barn) and it would "Bridge" the house network to the rear barn as well, just another "feature" the Sonos-Net will do for you, if you have the gear to setup.

I initially installed the Boost as a replacement for the bridge to gain the added coverage, and it helped.

If you lock down the network then the Bridges would also be locked down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
is this a possible record?
100 pages and 2489 replies.....
certainly not a topic NO ONE cares about, Except for the Sonos Execs that believe they know better.....
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I thought this was an odd posting on their main Support page to happen just days after a long-touted new release/update:

Please note that our support team will not be available via phone or email on April 18th due to system-wide maintenance. During this time you can find answers and get help from experts on our communities or get in touch with us on Twitter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Also, I did NOT receive the 8.5 email, and my iOS devices are not showing the update. I also find it odd that all the "wonderful and special new features" that were to be in 8.5 (or such) don't seem to be listed anywhere. To me this looks like an internal mandate to kill as many CR100s as possible so they can close the books/future liability/costs and make the company look a little leaner.

Is 8.5 anything more than a shut-out of the CR100? It certainly signals the end of any future Sonos purchases for a long line of loyal - repeat - and referring customers who still use/love their purpose-built controllers.

A shout out to all the wonderful contributors who have spent a lot of personal time; petitioning, writing to management, investigating solutions, fixes, work-arounds, lockdowns, and alternative controllers... thank you all!
Peace
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I did have kittens when my controller couldn't find any equipment. Then I realised that having unplugged my 8.4 Bridge (gloating;)), all my live black kit was at the other end of the house just out of range.

Phew.

And the next page please...
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
In celebration of this brave new world, I'm going to replace the batteries in my CR100s. They're all up to date to 8.5 along with the rest of my system. Any idea whether replacing the battery requires them to be reregistered with the Death Star and could brick them?

T
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Is 8.5 anything more than a shut-out of the CR100? It certainly signals the end of any future Sonos purchases for a long line of loyal - repeat - and referring customers who still use/love their purpose-built controllers.

The 8.5 release notes are finally up on the Sonos website.

This update includes:
  • Minor bug fixes and reliability improvements.
  • CR100 controllers will no longer connect to Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/CR100

The 8.5 release notes are finally up on the Sonos website.

This update includes:
  • Minor bug fixes and reliability improvements.
  • CR100 controllers will no longer connect to Sonos systems. Learn more at sonos.com/CR100

It sounds to me like the latest update creates a stable 'levelled' platform, on which Sonos intend to put in place their future 'exciting' plans. I personally think it’s good that they appear to be taking all their legacy speakers and zone players with them, as far as possible, on the journey... albeit some of those may eventually lose some of their full functionality along the way and not eventually reach the intended finish line.

I still personally prefer to continue to invest/re-invest and move with the innovative majority, than standstill with the minority, but it’s each to their own, I guess.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
@ Ken,
With all due respect Ken, I've read almost all of your comments on this and other parts of the community forum. I can't help but think you are either an employee, associate, or board member of Sonos. This is the Save the CR100 topic, not Sonos can do no wrong topic.

Many households across the planet face loosing the very best device to control their whole-home music systems in their honest and heartfelt opinions. It's a big loss and Sonos has behaved very badly in rolling this mess out.

Please fawn over the new management team in another discussion area.
@ Ken,
With all due respect Ken, I've read almost all of your comments on this and other parts of the community forum. I can't help but think you are either an employee, associate, or board member of Sonos. This is the Save the CR100 topic, not Sonos can do no wrong topic.

Many households across the planet face loosing the very best device to control their whole-home music systems in their honest and heartfelt opinions. It's a big loss and Sonos has behaved very badly in rolling this mess out.

Please fawn the new management team in another discussion area.

kassey22000,

I’m a Sonos customer, exactly the same as you, I presume?

I’m sorry you are not prepared to allow a different point of view here in this discussion thread, because it may oppose your own personal opinions.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Why was it not possible to release a new separate version of the sonos app for IOS or android, so that the current and new version can exists next to each other ( of course only one of the two can be used on a device)? Now we have to disable a generic IOS/Andriod app update function just to stop a sonos update. Very short sighted and disrespectful to customers. Remember Sonos, customers are the ones that enables you pay the bills and provide you with your bonuses!!!!!
Why was it not possible to release a new separate version of the sonos app for IOS or android, so that the current and new version can exists next to each other ( of course only one of the two can be used on a device)? Now we have to disable a generic IOS/Andriod app update function just to stop a sonos update. Very short sighted and disrespectful to customers. Remember Sonos, customers are the ones that enables you pay the bills and provide you with your bonuses!!!!!

Apple does not allow two concurrent versions of the same app. Plus it is not very cost effective for Sonos to have to maintain two controllers for a few hundred systems that still use a CR100.

Hello John,

Thank you for your note and follow on questions.

I've included comments, embedded below, to address your questions, please don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Mike

---------
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your personal reply, it is very much appreciated.

If I may, I would like to raise a number of points with you.

For those that wish to recycle:

1. Thank you for extending the voucher offer to $100 per unit. Please could you confirm that this offer is valid for ALL registered CR100 users?

--> This offer is available for all registered CR100 owners. Those who have not filled out the form previously will be able to add multiple serial numbers to the form and, based on the number of verified controllers in the household, they will receive a code (via email) for the appropriate amount ($100, $200, etc....). If you have multiple CR100s, but have already filled out the form, we’d be happy to provide a code for all your active devices. Please contact Sonos Customer Care directly to do this.

[/b]

Has anybody from the US confirmed that the new request form process results in a credit for each CR100 entered on the form?