Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Evening all.

As doomsday draws closer I have still not had a reply to my repeat email to Patrick Spence & Mike Carlino so, in a further attempt at some (any!) sort of response, I have sent the following PM (including the unforgivable use of the word 'yet' twice dammit!) to RyanS

-------

Hi Ryan,

Sorry about the private message but we really need some feedback on the "Save the CR100" thread. It's been a while since you commented on there!

I'm sure you are aware that I have now sent 2 emails on behalf of all the CR100 supporters to Patrick Spence and Mike Carlino. If not, you can find the content here.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index87.html#post16220661

As yet, I have yet to receive a reply from either and 10 days have passed.

I would be grateful if you could confirm that my email has been received and that a response will be given. All the better if you could let us know when that response will be...

Many thanks

John
How many times do you really expect a response? The official response is on the very first post in this thread. That’s almost certainly all you’re going to get. Sorry you don’t like it.
I wonder if it will be Tuesday ?

Very sad Ken, that you would expend time and energy putting that together. Kinda negates the charitable claims that your pals are making regarding the motives for being posters in the thousands counts.

Never mind , you will soon have the place to yourselves again when this all dies down and all those pesky once satisfied customers have jogged off .....ah happy days eh?

I can’t help my slightly 'warped' sense of humour, life is too short to be that gloomy, but really it wasn’t a 'dig' or a 'gloat'... it does however keep the thread alive, which really only helps the cause to 'keep going' for you guys.

If no one had said a thing in response to some issues raised, this thread would have probably been half the size it is now and maybe even 'dead in the water' a long time ago. My glass is always half full and if you can’t smile about some things, then it’s a sad existence to have... Anybody round here need a rope? ... because it sure sounds like lots of doom and gloom is bringing you down.

It’s a wireless 'remote' for goodness sake, it’s not really the end of the world... though you were making things feel that way. Hence my Mr Trump pic.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
How many times do you really expect a response? The official response is on the very first post in this thread. That’s almost certainly all you’re going to get. Sorry you don’t like it.
If you think I have nothing better to do than fart about on these forums all day and chasing things up then you're wrong.

I volunteered some weeks back to co-ordinate an attempt to get Sonos to change their mind and - here's the thing - I will see that to the end, whatever the conclusion is.

You clearly don't like this, for whatever reason. Well tough luck.

Do I expect Sonos to provide what we have asked for? - No.

Do I expect a reply to the questions that have been asked? - Yes.

You have already shown yourself to accept what is told to you. By the way, 2 + 2 really does equal 5.

The good news is that when we get an official response from Sonos that goes your way, you and your mates can have a right old laugh at our expense.

Trouble is, by that time - as kmurray pointed out earlier - we won't be here anymore.

We'll be getting on with our lives at least with the satisfaction that we did not rollover and accept what was told to us.

Finally as to your post:

I'm really curious what the update will provide. #1 on my wishlist is implementation of the Alexa AudioPlayer interface, which will enable all sorts of things, like AnyPod, Stitcher, Radio Paradise, MyMedia (local files), soundscapes via voice control.

I probably speak on behalf of many others here by saying we don't care but as long as YOUR wishes are satisfied then we're all happy for you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Do you know, I'm really rather looking forward to life after the Great Brick.

No more bossing to update to the next seemingly identical iteration.

No more having to race about the house having to unplug all my zone players and then plug them back in.

No more wondering, having done that, why the blinking kitchen will inevitably be the one zone that never comes back up.

No more thinking about posting a query on this forum but then deciding not to as the charity police will only tell me its my fault not Sonos'.

No more wanting to buy more kit.

This could be really restful, not to say profitable. And I'll still be using the mighty CR100s.

T
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Amen
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Must I have to point out again that a response has to come after the question?

If a CEO and/or Customer Services Director ignores genuine and reasonable inquiries made directly to them that is inexcusable. Now if their response is sent by a subordinate and a simple regurgitation of the first post, OK, at least we have our answer. But no response is no way for any company (big or small) to behave.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
... It’s a wireless 'remote' for goodness sake, it’s not really the end of the world... .
NO, it is THE UI of our whole house audio system which we have spent many tens of thousands of pounds on!! No UI, no music system.

It only took me reading your first three post to understand your position, surely by now you would have been able to gain an appreciation of how we look at this? Yes, we look at this differently, fair enough. But continually posting that you consider our position is not yours does not really move things forward.

Now if you could recommend a; splash proof, wall mountable, non-touch screen, instantly/always on replacement "remote" for under say £400 each, that would be very much appreciated. 🙂
What about a Logitech Harmony hub‑based Elite Remote Control? Works with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
What about a Logitech Harmony hub‑based Elite Remote Control? Works with Sonos.
At a quick glance it does seem to have some potential, however there also appear to be some drawbacks:-

* Not wall mountable
* Not splash proof
* Is touch screen controlled
* Works (for Sonos) via WiFi, so not instant on like the CR100 (Sonosnet)
* Hard buttons optimised for home automation
* Cannot control different outputs in different Zones
* Not compatibly with ZP80 or ZP100s (or is that just an omission by Logitech?).
* Only allows access to Sonos Favorites, so not able to control music stored on a NAS.

Let's hope not updating to 8.5 (or 9.0 for a brave new world?) means I do not have to investigate further for quite a while. 😛
* Not wall mountable
* Not splash proof
* Is touch screen controlled
* Works (for Sonos) via WiFi, so not instant on like the CR100 (Sonosnet)
* Hard buttons optimised for home automation
* Cannot control different outputs in different Zones
* Not compatibly with ZP80 or ZP100s (or is that just an omission by Logitech?).
* Only allows access to Sonos Favorites, so not able to control music stored on a NAS.

Userlevel 1
Can't believe how many CR100s are still up for sales on ebay. Are the sellers just rogues or ignorant (maybe both!).
I've contacted a couple of the sellers about the planned obsolescence. Should be interesting to see what their replies are 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
For some reason, my previous reply has vanished.

Anyway, quick update. I've found "port forwarding" and "port triggering" options but no obvious blocking facility. The Firewall switch is just that, on/off with no further options. I'm waiting for the ISP community forum's response, but all their questions seem to be about unblocking.

Thanks for the recommendations btw. My router doesn't have a separate WAN socket so I'm not sure it can be used as a gateway. I'm convincing myself I sound like I know what I'm talking about here...:D

So the folks on technical support could only help with half of what I'm trying to achieve. Nobody appears to know about port blocking, and my router's menu is slightly different to their "virtual" one. I'm hoping that yesterday's planned call back with their escalated answer will now come tomorrow as I've told them what I stand to lose.

More positively the updates URLs have been blocked at their end through their account management interface. That's good news as I can add more URLs if necessary and I had been concerned a new router (they've already replaced 2) would be immediately vulnerable. My CR100s can't update! 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge
I wonder if it will be Tuesday ?

Very sad Ken, that you would expend time and energy putting that together. Kinda negates the charitable claims that your pals are making regarding the motives for being posters in the thousands counts.

Never mind , you will soon have the place to yourselves again when this all dies down and all those pesky once satisfied customers have jogged off .....ah happy days eh?

I can’t help my slightly 'warped' sense of humour, life is too short to be that gloomy, but really it wasn’t a 'dig' or a 'gloat'... it does however keep the thread alive, which really only helps the cause to 'keep going' for you guys.

If no one had said a thing in response to some issues raised, this thread would have probably been half the size it is now and maybe even 'dead in the water' a long time ago. My glass is always half full and if you can’t smile about some things, then it’s a sad existence to have... Anybody round here need a rope? ... because it sure sounds like lots of doom and gloom is bringing you down.

It’s a wireless 'remote' for goodness sake, it’s not really the end of the world... though you were making things feel that way. Hence my Mr Trump pic.

Sorry pal, you just unmasked yourself with your silly post that you claim was not a dig or a gloat. I wondered previously what motivated you guys in the thousands of posts category and your post confirmed my thoughts.

Peace and out
[...] More positively the updates URLs have been blocked at their end through their account management interface. That's good news as I can add more URLs if necessary and I had been concerned a new router (they've already replaced 2) would be immediately vulnerable. My CR100s can't update! :D
The CR100s won't update anyway, they will remain on firmware v4.3.2. The pending update v8.5 refers to the speakers, and I think afterwards the CR100 will not be able to identify/recognize the units any longer.
Can't believe how many CR100s are still up for sales on ebay. Are the sellers just rogues or ignorant (maybe both!).
I've contacted a couple of the sellers about the planned obsolescence. Should be interesting to see what their replies are :D

Some people might buy them just as a collectors item to reflect the era. It’s amazing what some choose to buy and collect, but if the CR100 Controllers do become extremely rare, they may become valuable as a 'look back' at the electronics era at the turn of the century.

Not my cup of tea to collect such memorabilia, but I assume some people do it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
It’s a wireless 'remote' for goodness sake, it’s not really the end of the world...

Actually, it's OUR wireless 'remote' that we still use daily.

Here's a quick peek in to the possible future:

It’s a Zoneplayer for goodness sake, it’s not really the end of the world...

What is it they say about assassins?

The first kill is tough, the 2nd is much easier...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask?_ga) and let them know what you think.

456 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done BEFORE NEXT WEEK, i.e. when the 8.5 software/firmware update is rolled out). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index86.html#post16220262
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Nah. There always has been a market for these units via goodwill and other sellers. I doubt it will subside either. Given that the firmware on the CR100s hasn't apparently changed in years you should be able to keep buying replacement units and pair them up with your existing gear as long as you prevent a upgrade beyond 8.4 on your zone players / speakers.

Electronica like everything else can break over time. Some folk dive in and replace broken capacitors, etc. (and there are Sonos-specific kits on the market for that), most simply buy a replacement. Some of the broken stuff then finds a "parts-only" buyer on eBay that fixes and resells it. Fixing broken caps isn't all that hard, as long as you have good gear and a steady hand. I've also seen mentions of bad flash chips, those are a bit more difficult to remove and replace. Nothing insurmountable though as long as you know drag-soldering. It's not like we're dealing with large BGA's here that require a hot air station and really good alignment skills.
Here's a quick peek in to the possible future:

It’s a Zoneplayer for goodness sake, it’s not really the end of the world...

What is it they say about assassins?

The first kill is tough, the 2nd is much easier...

However, to me it wouldn't be the end of the world for I would be aware of one thing, one thing only – Sonos aren't going to alienate my firstborn child from me.
Given that the firmware on the CR100s hasn't apparently changed in years you should be able to keep buying replacement units and pair them up with your existing gear as long as you prevent a upgrade beyond 8.4 on your zone players / speakers.
Are you saying that any Sonos software on a CR100 will work with 8.4? If not, surely as soon as you try and add an older controller to your system it will require an update.
Given that the firmware on the CR100s hasn't apparently changed in years you should be able to keep buying replacement units and pair them up with your existing gear as long as you prevent a upgrade beyond 8.4 on your zone players / speakers.
Are you saying that any Sonos software on a CR100 will work with 8.4? If not, surely as soon as you try and add an older controller to your system it will require an update.

That is an interesting question. Has CR100 firmware been the same for long enough that you could add units from systems older than 8.4 to an 8.4 system without triggering an update? I wonder at what version the last change to CR100 firmware happened? Or is the CR100 firmware version just incremented to match the current level without any other code changes? That would probably force an update if that was the strategy being used.
Another factor you may wish to consider if buying a 'spare' CR100. Based on a number of past threads, adding a CR100 has for some time required direct intervention from Sonos Support. I would have thought it doubtful that that support would continue, although obviously I do not know that.

I cannot be sure, either, that this support is always needed, as presumably only cases where there is a problem crop up on the.forum.

See for example this thread

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/cr100-controller-wont-connect-6790403

(Incidentally, moving any other Sonos component to a different system requires a factory reset. I would be surprised if that were not true of the CR100 too, so it would be irrelevant which version it was on with the previous owner.)
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Another factor you may wish to consider if buying a 'spare' CR100. Based on a number of past threads, adding a CR100 has for some time required direct intervention from Sonos Support. I would have thought it doubtful that that support would continue, although obviously I do not know that.

I cannot be sure, either, that this support is always needed, as presumably only cases where there is a problem crop up on the.forum.

See for example this thread

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/cr100-controller-wont-connect-6790403

(Incidentally, moving any other Sonos component to a different system requires a factory reset. I would be surprised if that were not true of the CR100 too, so it would be irrelevant which version it was on with the previous owner.)

Yep, Stevecomp3 and John Davies came across the very same issue on this thread when updating to 8.4. Sonos support have to dial in (showing my age) and manually connect the CR100. I agree, this support is unlikely to happen after 8.5 has been released...

I don't know which firmware version introduced this non-connect issue but there's bargains to be had if you're on an older version than that (and happy to remain there)

One went on eBay today (including cradle) for less than a tenner delivered...

Does a Sonos component have to be factory reset to connect though? I'll freely admit that I bought a secondhand play:1 off the bay a few weeks back. The previous owner told me it was at 8.4 and it connected to my system with just the usual button presses, no hassle. Anyway, that's perhaps for another topic.....

Edit: I suppose he may have already factory reset it - I don't know
In my experience a factory reset has been necessary but happy to accept that you found it not to be so in your case. Whether version numbers play a role in this I don't know. Virtually all useful info is stored on the players so there would be an immediate inconsistency between playlists etc. But as that isn't relevant for a controller, maybe it could be added withoit a reset. I honestly don't know for sure.