Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

Hi everyone, thanks for voicing your concerns here. We’re going to keep this as the main thread for this conversation so it’s all in one place. All the threads have been merged here, so my apologies if there are any conversations that had the flow messed up.

I want to provide more detail about exactly what will happen in the coming months and why. In early April, we will release a software upgrade that will no longer support the aging CR100. Here are your options:

• Accept the upgrade, understanding that your CR100 will no longer connect. This is our strong recommendation for two reasons: 1) due the age of the battery in the controller, it has the potential to overheat when left charging for extended periods of time 2) you will continue to receive the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates. This is a far better solution for safety and performance reasons, but we realize you’ll need to transition to a new controller. We have resources available to help you get set-up on an alternate controller and are offering a coupon code to sonos.com to help make the transition easier (amount varies regionally, one per household).
  • Ignore future upgrades, leaving your Sonos system on its current version. We do not recommend this option. If you do go this route, you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Additionally, opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system – not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100. It is necessary to configure your system in advance to avoid future updates. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.

Please reach out to discuss your specific situation and solutions with one of our team members, or if you’d like to better understand how to get set-up on an alternate controller. You can contact us directly at https://sonos.com/contact.

The CR100 can be disposed of at any local e-waste processing center in accordance with all local laws and regulations. To claim your coupon code or if you’d like a hand disposing of your CR100, please see here: https://www.sonos.com/cr100submit.

Updated March 23rd:
We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Ladies & Gents

Emotions are clearly running high on this thread but I feel that with 10 days to go before the order to kill is potentially sent out, we should be concentrating our efforts in to putting together a list of reasons as to why we feel support for the CR100 should continue.

A list that can be sent to Sonos before the end of the month for them to consider and hopefully respond to reasonably.

I have made a start on this list below. I will confess that whilst I have more than casually skimmed this thread, I have not read it all in detail - having joined this discussion only a week ago, 1800+ posts over 74 pages is a lot to go through....

Therefore I apologise if the list does not contain a specific reason made by a specific author but, if that's the case, please feel free to add to the list.

We need to make a strong case. If anyone has suggestions to add - or indeed remove - from this list, please post them. CR100 supporters only please....

Whilst I cannot commit to this 24 / 7, unless anyone has a better suggestion, I will maintain this list offline and update it daily from the forum posts.

I will post the updated list on this thread until such a time that we agree it's ready to be sent to Sonos.

So here goes - the list so far (in no particular order)

Reasons to maintain support for the CR100
1. We don't want our kids using tablets / smartphones to control Sonos in their bedrooms as this gives them unsupervised internet access

2. It's splashproof and robust - great for kitchen, pool, outdoor use & for the kids

3. We feel we are currently forced (but don't want) to lock down our systems from future upgrades and potentially lose our streaming services in the future as a result

4. Casual users (an example, holiday home users but also anybody who chooses not to upgrade to each and every new release) might innocently perform an upgrade in 6 months and lose their CR100s without any warning.

5. It is easier for people with certain disabilities to use over a touchscreen / PC based app

6. We have invested a lot of money in CR100s (several users citing ownership of 4, 5, 6 or more units) and still see them as an ongoing concern with plenty of life left. We do not want to re-invest in a corresponding number of new tablets (or other equivalent devices) to take over the job.

7. It is easy for guests to use. We are happy to hand over our CR100s for them to use but not our smartphones or tablets.

8. It is our preferred method of controlling our Sonos systems. We do not want to move to solely app or voice controlled methods.

9. Many of us have affixed our CR100 charging cradles to walls and buried the wires. We do not want these to become a useless ornament

10. We use the alarm clock feature

11. We accept the "aging battery" issue at our risk although many users have changed their own batteries anyway

12. We are not comfortable about disposing equipment that works perfectly

13. It is instantly available to control our systems - we don't want to have to go through the process of unlocking our device and waiting for an app to launch

14. We like the feel of hard buttons and can use it in the dark with our eyes closed.
Just adding my voice - I started with Sonos 10 years ago and have 12 sonos players. A pair of CR100's - can't believe that these are being killed off for no viable reason. The battery overheating rationale does not hold water - Sonos can simply state that the controller should no longer be used, and they are free from liability. But no reason to turn it into a brick. Sonos, your complete ecosystem is one of the main (only?) reasons to justify the higher pricetag - why throw that advantage away and anger your loyal customers at the same time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
More thoughts on "HOW" Sonos could provide a legacy path

--Disclaimer-- at the risk of being told I am wrong, and being reminded how I "have been wrong" on this topic before, I want to suggest that unless the Self Professed Board Police can speak for Sonos to refute what I am suggesting, then go away.

one of the board cops asked the question "how" when commenting on having some sort of Legacy path created.
I will try to keep this short, but this came to me since I have had to learn as much as I did resurrecting a few ZP100s to lock them down. YES, I was working with a Bus Pirate, Yes I was replacing component level parts and watching the units boot, and forcing firmware to dead units, and yes, I fixed them.

1 Sonos already knows EXACTLY what hardware you own, by serial number, unit name and household. Do not forget this fact.
2: Sonos has one URL address that all devices go to for the upgrades, update.sonos.com
3: at this point, they have only needed to "send" to the requesting device the updated firmware in their "one sized fits all approach". so they just pump out one set of code.
I am uncertain if there is actually a specific firmware sent depending on the device VS the very same being sent, but even it its specific, this can still be managed (see number 4)
4: when the device (be it a player, or control, or bridge, Etc) all send the request along with its identifying detail.
for example, the following is submitted: (and this is in the ZR100 repair topic on this board)
URL is http://update-firmware.sonos.com/firmware/Gold/28.1-83251-v5.2-pcyakr-RC4/28.1-83040-1-1.upd?cmaj=27&cmin=2&cbld=80271&subm=3&rev=2®=1&serial=XXXXXXXX&sonosid=XXXXXXXX&householdid=XXXXXXXXXX

notice the bold text, Sonos know exactly which device they are sending firmware to and hey send it back with a name that includes that very detail.

this is all "behind the scenes" programming and management.
if an "option" to stay in a "legacy" or "V1" code were given, and we had the ability to select the option in our Sonos Profile, then when Your unit would send a request for the update THEIR system could lookup the account based on unit serial number, determine the option to remain on legacy, and then send the proper code.

to further this, the proper code versions could ALWAYS be the same only one ends in V1 or V2 or L, (whatever designation they want), the point it, the player/device will always load the latest code and even if you want to swap a unit from V1 to V2 or the other way around they COULD send the code with a firmware version number that will look to unit like its the "next generation" and boot that code. (a downgrade option should be possible)
In my opinion this could be done based on what I have seen and how these units boot their firmware. But Sonos must implement it and it would mean they must support a legacy path but they would not be "adding" any new features or further developing it, they would just be keeping it operational and updated for APIs and security certificates.

as far as the Apps are concerned, they would have to create a V1 and V2 and should even be able to have the App inform the user if they opened the wrong one and need to change apps based on Option selected in your Sonos account. (this could keep the Apps from updating improperly or even allow a user the ability to have both apps on the same device to service 2 different households if they are not on the same "Option".

I had to share my thoughts on this,
and again, before someone feels the need to tell me I am wrong, or Sonos would never do it, or I am ignorant or just plain stupid, perhaps you should consider how you will look if you do.

Tossing thoughts out there and perhaps Sonos has someone watching and can think this thru. I believe this is possible, Sonos needs to make it happen.

Its not April yet, there is still time.....

Just a thought... but isn’t this pretty much exactly how the beta programme works?

Now, I will admit, I’m not a member of the beta programme, so I may well be wrong in some of my assumptions, and if so, perhaps someone who is on the beta programme could chime in with corrections...

But, it’s my understanding that as a sonos user, we can elect to join the beta programme, and perhaps subject to approval by Sonos rather than a completely open opt-in arrangement, once enrolled in the beta programme, you receive a different firmware package from non-beta members?...

Presumably this is managed by some flag that is set in the account properties once accepted onto the programme? And thereafter, the firmware update process is managed differently based on said flag?

As I said, I don’t know the precise mechanism as I’m not a beta member, but it just struck me that Sonos presumably must already have a tried & tested method to apply different firmware to selected users based on an option in their profile?

That being so, how hard could it be to just leverage that existing mechanism and provide 1 more “branch”?

It’s my understanding that beta users don’t need to use a different version of the app...

Thoughts?
[...] It’s my understanding that beta users don’t need to use a different version of the app...
Incorrect.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
If Sonos does invest resources in some of the ideas above, for a small percentage of Sonos users, it will be resource they could otherwise use on improving the Sonos system for the 'majority' of users. Friends and Family Sonos users I know, have all requested and obtained their CR100 vouchers, as their CR100's were unused, many for several years. I do understand that some users may have many CR100's that are part of the 'fabric' of some rooms with mounts in bathrooms, wet areas, have special use cases, but I do feel this is a very small percentage of overall Sonos users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
[...] It’s my understanding that beta users don’t need to use a different version of the app...
Incorrect.

Aha. I (obviously!) didn't know that.... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Incorrect.

Aha... - but then obviously a different version of the app presumably must already exist for the beta users that applies a different firmware update process... - so again, my point is valid, - a mechanism is already in place to selectively apply a different firmware image to a subset of users.... - which is all that we're asking for here...
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
If Sonos does invest resources in some of the ideas above, for a small percentage of Sonos users, it will be resource they could otherwise use on improving the Sonos system for the 'majority' of users. Friends and Family Sonos users I know, have all requested and obtained their CR100 vouchers, as their CR100's were unused, many for several years. I do understand that some users may have many CR100's that are part of the 'fabric' of some rooms with mounts in bathrooms, wet areas, have special use cases, but I do feel this is a very small percentage of overall Sonos users.

I dare say you're probably right.. - but I - in common with everyone else here - have no metrics available to know how many CR100's are in use - only Sonos knows that, and they're keeping schtum...

but I think there is a fundamental principle of right & wrong underlying this move, and the reaction to it, and (IMO), it has nothing to do with the numbers affected...

Moderator: Edited to Meet Community Guidelines.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
- but I - in common with everyone else here - have no metrics available to know how many CR100's are in use - only Sonos knows that, and they're keeping schtum...

My limited metrics - I know of 5 households using Sonos, mine included. All have used CR100's in the past, but no longer using. All have obtained the vouchers, and 4 have already spent them.
Userlevel 2
Badge
- but I - in common with everyone else here - have no metrics available to know how many CR100's are in use - only Sonos knows that, and they're keeping schtum...

My limited metrics - I know of 5 households using Sonos, mine included. All have used CR100's in the past, but no longer using. All have obtained the vouchers, and 4 have already spent them.

Ok - it’s a personal choice and if your friends thought it was good for them to get one voucher for one cr100 or one voucher for several - we’ll thats their decision. Not even sure why your posting in this forum if it’s irrelevant to you.

But we use them still. And I have 7 of these with the charging cradles. They should give you a voucher for each of the registered cr100’s.

The biggest problem for us is we are now going to have to pass around my wife’s and my phone or iPad (if we’re home) to the young kids and their friends when they use the system after school- or go back to the room with the pc. My older two are simply not going to give up their phones to young kids and their friends so they can play sonos, lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
... I Think I recall the CR100's being the wrong side of £300 each, and for that you didn't even get the cradle, - that was another £40 a pop. Top of my head maths then suggests that my 3 CR100's and 3 cradles set me back almost exactly £1000.... - and that was in the days when a grand was worth something!! ...
Oh yes!

I remember feeling a bit conned at the time, having to purchase the cradle as an extra when it should have been included (as it was when the CR200 came out). I think the offer should be more if you have a cradle. ;)

We have 7 CR100s all with cradles (£2,400 odd) and the offer is £100 - Really? :@

Actually the voucher is worth somewhat less since it can't be used with any other offer. You might do better to skip the voucher and wait for a sale that will likely give you equal or better savings.

Actually, my voucher was worth £125, with which I purchased an iPort Xpress for the princely sum of nothing.

... Has anyone actually taken legal advice about this? And if people are so sure about it, why haven’t they started any law suits against Sonos? ...All large companies will have a legal department, so I’m sure that if it was illegal, they would have brought it to management’s attention well before it became public knowledge.

... I also think it’s ridiculous some people threatening to ditch their entire setup and buy a new system, because of this. I think “cutting your nose off to spite your own face” is a suitable phrase to use here.

Whilst overall I agree with the thrust of your post and have given it a "Like" there are a couple of things that I would comment on:-

On the legal question, Sonos have not done anything yet that would warrant any legal action other than perhaps an injunction to stop the next OS release bricking the CR100s. Given the cost of going down the injunction route this is not really a viable option. However once the CR100s are bricked then (in the UK) a claim in the Small Claims Track of County Courts for the cost of the Sonos System could be on.

Yes, I am sure Sonos legal have been all over this, just like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica's legal teams were all over their respective positions before the heavens fell in on them earlier this week! But that in no way means that the Sonos position on this is correct or not open to a successful legal challenge. I suspect any legal remedy will be restricted to the cost of a Sonos system rather than actually stopping or reversing any OS bricking of the CR100, but I could be wrong on this.

So no need to take legal advise unless the CR100s are actually bricked - but afterwards perhaps.

We are looking at our "post CR100" options and they very much include selling all our Sonos kit and replacing it with a wired alternative. This is not a "threat" nor "cutting your nose off to spite your own face", we just want the best system to meet our needs.

Back in 2004 when we were looking at the options for a whole house audio distribution system we had a few basic requirements and by and large Sonos tick all the boxes and gave some additional benefits (such as WiFi extension via the Sonosnet and the 4x Ethernet ports in the back of the ZP100). If the controller options in 2004 were the ones being offered post April 2018 we would never have purchase any Sonos units but instead would have gone for a wired setup.

If we cannot freeze at OS 8.4 and retain our CR100s or if Sonos do not come up with a solution (be that CR100, CR300 or whatever) then we will sell our all our Sonos units and install a wired setup. Of course we will take a bath on costs, but when you want the best you will never be happy with second best, which is why we invested so much cash into our Sonos system.

We will look to make the best of things and whilst ripping holes in our walls may also install whole house video distribution. If we do go this down this route not only will we gain 100% drop out free audio but more importantly 100% control of our hardware, which we now see as real plus and vulnerability of continued Sonos ownership.

Sonos was the best option for us in 2004 and still is, but if that changes then we shall change from Sonos - Simples! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I dare say you're probably right.. - but I - in common with everyone else here - have no metrics available to know how many CR100's are in use - only Sonos knows that, and they're keeping schtum...

but I think there is a fundamental principle of right & wrong underlying this move, and the reaction to it, and (IMO), it has nothing to do with the numbers affected...

Good one, and I would again suggest that no company should be allowed (or think it is correct) to decide on their own the fate of any piece of hardware purchased from them. the item in one way or another should be expected to work until it becomes dust on its own or until the owner decides it is no longer worth keeping.
Once we allow any vendor to make that decision for us, we open the gates to planned obsolescence and constant forced upgrades forever. Not a single unit should be shut down by its maker, only by its owner.

its nice to know SOME countries have laws against this, and perhaps this could become a test case.

I had not considered the Beta program and how it must work, but yes, if you are on the Beta program you must be provided with Beta App downloads as well. (so their goes the comments by all the people that say "Sonos cannot have multiple App versions", apparently they can and do. So my thoughts on being able to run a Legacy option appears to be somewhat valid, and Sonos should know that they CAN offer the option for those that do not want to loose the ability to use their CR100s or any other "aging" piece of hardware they may also have.

again, I suggested the Legacy program to allow people to "stay put", do not give me new options or features, but do not kill what I feel is one of the most important parts of the system.
Hey Sonos, no one has to "stay" in the legacy option forever either, give us a reason to toss our CR100s in the bin and move forward and down the road we will, just at this point your reasons are all crap and the process has all been forced.
no one can argue that so far the current state of Voice control is not fully baked and all over the message boards people are complaining about the App, so why do I have to be forced into being a Sonos Control Beta Tester while you rip the best controller you ever created out from my hands. Not going to happen.

We do not know why Sonos is not motivated to make this happen, and its totally up to them,.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
... I Think I recall the CR100's being the wrong side of £300 each, and for that you didn't even get the cradle, - that was another £40 a pop. Top of my head maths then suggests that my 3 CR100's and 3 cradles set me back almost exactly £1000.... - and that was in the days when a grand was worth something!! ...
Oh yes!

I remember feeling a bit conned at the time, having to purchase the cradle as an extra when it should have been included (as it was when the CR200 came out). I think the offer should be more if you have a cradle. ;)

We have 7 CR100s all with cradles (£2,400 odd) and the offer is £100 - Really? :@

Actually the voucher is worth somewhat less since it can't be used with any other offer. You might do better to skip the voucher and wait for a sale that will likely give you equal or better savings.

Actually, my voucher was worth £125, with which I purchased an iPort Xpress for the princely sum of nothing.

... Has anyone actually taken legal advice about this? And if people are so sure about it, why haven’t they started any law suits against Sonos? ...All large companies will have a legal department, so I’m sure that if it was illegal, they would have brought it to management’s attention well before it became public knowledge.

... I also think it’s ridiculous some people threatening to ditch their entire setup and buy a new system, because of this. I think “cutting your nose off to spite your own face” is a suitable phrase to use here.

Whilst overall I agree with the thrust of your post and have given it a "Like" there are a couple of things that I would comment on:-

On the legal question, Sonos have not done anything yet that would warrant any legal action other than perhaps an injunction to stop the next OS release bricking the CR100s. Given the cost of going down the injunction route this is not really a viable option. However once the CR100s are bricked then (in the UK) a claim in the Small Claims Track of County Courts for the cost of the Sonos System could be on.

Yes, I am sure Sonos legal have been all over this, just like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica's legal teams were all over their respective positions before the heavens fell in on them earlier this week! But that in no way means that the Sonos position on this is correct or not open to a successful legal challenge. I suspect any legal remedy will be restricted to the cost of a Sonos system rather than actually stopping or reversing any OS bricking of the CR100, but I could be wrong on this.

So no need to take legal advise unless the CR100s are actually bricked - but afterwards perhaps.

We are looking at our "post CR100" options and they very much include selling all our Sonos kit and replacing it with a wired alternative. This is not a "threat" nor "cutting your nose off to spite your own face", we just want the best system to meet our needs.

Back in 2004 when we were looking at the options for a whole house audio distribution system we had a few basic requirements and by and large Sonos tick all the boxes and gave some additional benefits (such as WiFi extension via the Sonosnet and the 4x Ethernet ports in the back of the ZP100). If the controller options in 2004 were the ones being offered post April 2018 we would never have purchase any Sonos units but instead would have gone for a wired setup.

If we cannot freeze at OS 8.4 and retain our CR100s or if Sonos do not come up with a solution (be that CR100, CR300 or whatever) then we will sell our all our Sonos units and install a wired setup. Of course we will take a bath on costs, but when you want the best you will never be happy with second best, which is why we invested so much cash into our Sonos system.

We will look to make the best of things and whilst ripping holes in our walls may also install whole house video distribution. If we do go this down this route not only will we gain 100% drop out free audio but more importantly 100% control of our hardware, which we now see as real plus and vulnerability of continued Sonos ownership.

Sonos was the best option for us in 2004 and still is, but if that changes then we shall change from Sonos - Simples! :)

yup, what he said,
could not say it better, so I will not try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

but again, this all comes down to choice, not forced obsolescence.
if you decided you do not need the units anymore, then good for you. As stated all thru this topic, I use the App and PC Application, I would always reach for the CR100 if I simply wanted to hear music or keep my eyes closed (think while in bed)
I invested in 8 of these units, and created my lifestyle with them.
What gives Sonos the permission to tell me "sorry- just kidding, we are turning them off now"?

someone stated there may only be a small number "left", so what? the board police like to tell people they have millions of units sold, so if this is to be true at what point should the "obligation" to support these units kick in? one way or another, they do not have the right to just decide to turn them off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

but again, this all comes down to choice, not forced obsolescence.
if you decided you do not need the units anymore, then good for you. As stated all thru this topic, I use the App and PC Application, I would always reach for the CR100 if I simply wanted to hear music or keep my eyes closed (think while in bed)
I invested in 8 of these units, and created my lifestyle with them.
What gives Sonos the permission to tell me "sorry- just kidding, we are turning them off now"?

someone stated there may only be a small number "left", so what? the board police like to tell people they have millions of units sold, so if this is to be true at what point should the "obligation" to support these units kick in? one way or another, they do not have the right to just decide to turn them off.

100% agree - the number of units still in play is entirely a "so what" point... - Unfortunately, it seems that trying to use an analogy to illustrate that a principal of morality does not change merely due to the number of people affected, will invite the wrath of the board police... 😞 so I must try very hard to restate the underlying point without reference to any social, economic, religious, ethnic, historical, political, gender-based or geographical event or precedent lest it 'offends' someone...

Morality is not a quantitative phenomenon. What makes an act "wrong" is never the number of people that are affected, or the magnitude of the harm - Is stealing £1000 bad? Is stealing £2700 bad? - but is stealing £2700 "more bad"?

A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it doesn't harm the majority...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

372 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index70.html#post16217266
So, I wonder what’s coming in early April that is causing the removal of CR100 support? I would have guessed Audible, but that’s already here. AirPlay 2, but Apple seems to be stumbling big time with that. Google Assistant? Voice control of local NAS files? Anyone have better ideas of what it might be?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So, I wonder what’s coming in early April that is causing the removal of CR100 support? I would have guessed Audible, but that’s already here. AirPlay 2, but Apple seems to be stumbling big time with that. Google Assistant? Voice control of local NAS files? Anyone have better ideas of what it might be?

O . M . G. What could it be ?!?!?!

Coming back after a while to see where this thread is heading... And still seeing the same members, with reply counts north of 2k or 16k... Participating on threads which don't concern them (do you want to save the CR100? Would it take ANYTHING from you is Sonos agreed to let us "park" cleanly our firmware to the level it is at today, us ignorant users who don't know what's good for them?!?!?!). This is quite sad.

See you Sonos...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good morning from currently raining Santa Barbara! I just went through and removed some very unnecessary crosstalk that was off topic and only going to cause more inflammation.

Emotions are high. This is a hot topic and I understand that there's a lot of interest here, but let's all remember to stay friendly and keep things on point. If we can't remain friendly, I'm going to close this thread for some time as a break.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Apologies, I missed a post that I had meant to remove. Sorry, it's still early here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Good morning from currently raining Santa Barbara! I just went through and removed some very unnecessary crosstalk that was off topic and only going to cause more inflammation.

Emotions are high. This is a hot topic and I understand that there's a lot of interest here, but let's all remember to stay friendly and keep things on point. If we can't remain friendly, I'm going to close this thread for some time as a break.

Ryan S, good moderation and the voice of reason are always welcome.

But talking about possibly closing down this thread so close to the "early April" OS update, does not seem like a good idea unless another thread is to be opened.

Any chance of an official Sonos response to the questions / issued raised by "save the CR100" posters on this thread?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When we close a thread to let people cool off it's only a 24 hour closure, the first time.

Any chance of an official Sonos response to the questions / issued raised by "save the CR100" posters on this thread?
We've tried to answer just about all the questions that have come up which we have the answers for. Though I'll admit, this thread is quite long and I certainly could have missed some. Also, some questions we can't answer at this time. Is there one, in particular, you're looking for an answer to?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
When we close a thread to let people cool off it's only a 24 hour closure, the first time.

We've tried to answer just about all the questions that have come up which we have the answers for. Though I'll admit, this thread is quite long and I certainly could have missed some. Also, some questions we can't answer at this time. Is there one, in particular, you're looking for an answer to?

Yes - Are Sonos actively looking at alternatives to the proposed disabling of the CR100 connectivity and if so will an alternative be offered before the next OS update?

Thank you for help and attention on this issue.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Desperately, trying to isolate my Sonos system, but just found out my VDSL Modem Router, TP-Link VR600 (v1), does not have the means to block TCP port 4444 or block access to the url: update.sonos.com - can anyone recommend a suitable VDSL Modem Router with AC wifi?

(Its a shame as the VR600 proved to be very stable, with good coverage and needing very little setup)

SAVE THE CR100 !
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Desperately, trying to isolate my Sonos system, but just found out my VDSL Modem Router, TP-Link VR600 (v1), does not have the means to block TCP port 4444 or block access to the url: update.sonos.com - can anyone recommend a suitable VDSL Modem Router with AC wifi?

(Its a shame as the VR600 proved to be very stable, with good coverage and needing very little setup)

SAVE THE CR100 !

I've just replaced my router for this very purpose with an Asus RT AC53. Nice and easy to configure, a good app and easy to block urls. I haven't yet figured out how to block TCP port 4444, though...

T