Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

Hi everyone, thanks for voicing your concerns here. We’re going to keep this as the main thread for this conversation so it’s all in one place. All the threads have been merged here, so my apologies if there are any conversations that had the flow messed up.

I want to provide more detail about exactly what will happen in the coming months and why. In early April, we will release a software upgrade that will no longer support the aging CR100. Here are your options:

• Accept the upgrade, understanding that your CR100 will no longer connect. This is our strong recommendation for two reasons: 1) due the age of the battery in the controller, it has the potential to overheat when left charging for extended periods of time 2) you will continue to receive the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates. This is a far better solution for safety and performance reasons, but we realize you’ll need to transition to a new controller. We have resources available to help you get set-up on an alternate controller and are offering a coupon code to sonos.com to help make the transition easier (amount varies regionally, one per household).
  • Ignore future upgrades, leaving your Sonos system on its current version. We do not recommend this option. If you do go this route, you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Additionally, opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system – not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100. It is necessary to configure your system in advance to avoid future updates. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.

Please reach out to discuss your specific situation and solutions with one of our team members, or if you’d like to better understand how to get set-up on an alternate controller. You can contact us directly at https://sonos.com/contact.

The CR100 can be disposed of at any local e-waste processing center in accordance with all local laws and regulations. To claim your coupon code or if you’d like a hand disposing of your CR100, please see here: https://www.sonos.com/cr100submit.

Updated March 23rd:
We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

The ZP80 is just as voice control capable as the Play:5 2nd gen and the Playbase, as are all other Sonos players made since 2005. I know, I control one with an Echo in my living room.

As to the posting of this type nonsense, if someone continuously post things that are so demonstrably wrong, I can only surmise they are either ignorant, or spreading FUD. Either way, it is not doing the cause any good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
The ZP80 is just as voice control capable as the Play:5 2nd gen and the Playbase, as are all other Sonos players made since 2005. I know, I control one with an Echo in my living room.

As to the posting of this type nonsense, if someone continuously post things that are so demonstrably wrong, I can only surmise they are either ignorant, or spreading FUD. Either way, it is not doing the cause any good.

I would ask Ryan S to read this completely and realize who asked for this response before you think about deleting it.

In this SINGLE TOPIC and over 100 posts I have made I have not once berated anyone or tried to come off as the "total authority" on any subject, I have certainly expressed my opinions and beliefs, and have rescinded my opinions on topics that I have been proven wrong on.

I am also very impressed in the very few minutes it took for (2) people to jump down my throat in this last post... its obvious you are watching posts from all over the boards and yet you found this one in minutes,.... I would be surprised if you were not paid by Sonos.

if you are speaking FOR SONOS please let me know if you can guarantee the First Gen gear, which to me is the ZP80, ZP100 WILL continue to be supported while the CR100 is being dropped for the sake of safety and aging CPU's?
And then how would you know, given the direction of Sonos and moving to the Integrated Voice fad that even the ZP80 you have, will "continue" to work in another couple years. you do not, and yet you speak with such authority.

You have stated openly they you do not care if the CR100 is gone, and you wish you could be running voice control and full whole house integration TODAY, so why is this topic so important to you that you must monitor and comment on it?
do you have something to offer to SAVE the CR100?
and once Sonos is allowed to kill of the lowly controller what's next? its going to be the CR200, and then the ZP100, and the ZP80 will not be far behind as they decide to build the much needed "added capabilities" to the units.
Unless they are interested in building a way to allow user to "opt Out" officially and keep what they have running, we will all be targets for the next hardware "termination" by Sonos if they do not afford us some respect for our purchases.

as proof, do I have to remind you that the CR100 IS working just fine for us today (like your ZP80), but it will be trash in the next few weeks unless WE build walls. And you want to tell me your ZP80 is running thru Voice Control "just fine", that's today, so long as Sonos evidently decides they are OK with it and does not decide the ZP80 is no longer in their plans.......

can you tell me when they will change their minds? No?

Ignorant? Really?, I would suggest Your Ignorance in allowing Sonos to do this to anyone with product they purchased and not being offended about it is truly sad. You may very well find allowing any company to do this will come back to eventually bite you in the ass as well....

You will notice I did not actually call you "ignorant".

Go find your "kill the Cr100 now" topic and post there,

and finally,. Sonos, find a way to keep the CR100 alive in the Eco-System, give the users options- PLEASE
You stated that the ZP80 and ZP100 will be replaced in favor of models that utilize voice control, when they already support voice control just like every other Sonos player except the One. You've also stated the CR100 demise is a signal Sonos is going to eliminate Sonosnet because the CR200 doesn't use Sonosnet. Those are two statements that are 100% wrong, and are either ignorance, or FUD. Which one they are is a question for you. Don't attack me because you get caught posting nonsense, better to put that effort into posting something with a semblance of the truth.

Plus, is it not the ultimate in hypocrisy to complain about Sonos retiring the CR100 without a suitable hard button dedicated controller replacement which you stated you would buy, while also complaining about Sonos supposedly replacing their older models with a suitable voice control equipped replacement? Which one is it, do you want a CR100 replacement or not? If so, then why criticize your imagined replacing of the ZP80 and ZP100?

Oh, and the accusation I work for Sonos? Sonos employees are duly designated as such. But you know that. If you wish me to stop posting in this thread, start posting the truth instead of your nonsense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
You stated that the ZP80 and ZP100 will be replaced in favor of models that utilize voice control, when they already support voice control just like every other Sonos player except one. You've also stated the CR100 demise is a signal Sonos is going to eliminate Sonosnet because the CR200 doesn't use Sonosnet. Those are two statements that are 100 wrong, and are either ignorance, or FUD. Which one they are is a question for you. Don't attack me because you get caught posting nonsense.

Plus, is it not the ultimate in hypocrisy to complain about Sonos retiring the CR100 without a suitable hard button dedicated controller replacement which you stated you would buy, while also complaining about Sonos supposedly replacing their older models with a suitable voice control equipped replacement? Which one is it, do you want a CR100 replacement or not? If so, then why criticize your imagined replacing of the ZP80 and ZP100?

typical avoidance by changing he subject.

I have suggested many possibilities and have NO issues with Sonos joining the Voice Fad and building Voice into everything.
I have warned (rightly so) that once the CR100 is killed off in their desire to push forward that essentially nothing currently out there is "off-limits". Can you provide some sort of official Sonos statement otherwise?
while I have asked Sonos to put out another Tactile Button remote, it was as an option to allowing us a choice in being able to stay where we are at. Would I buy one if they made one that was worthy and I was being told the CR100 "had to be retired but here is its replacement", yes, I would feel like I was being forced into it, but they could use tactics other than Fear to get me to see the light.

Do I have to apologize the the 3rd or 4th time for the SonosNet mistake, not a chance, but go ahead and keep bringing it up.

in the end I have always ask Sonos to give us a Choice, they have obviously made a course correction in the path we had taken with them 10+ years ago. I was not being a hypocrite (another new insult thrown around, nice Berate there!) when I was simply asking for a choice. If this is truly how you read all of my posts then I cannot help you.

if they want to go Voice, great,
if you want Voice, great.
if I really love what I have and do not care for voice DO NOT MAKE ME PAY FOR IT by turning off my controls.
I have never once complained that Sonos should NOT add voice to their product. I expect it will happen as the Play:One shows.

I want a choice in the matter, be it new remotes, or a way to stay on a legacy path, and I really could not care if they replace all of the gear, but no manufacturer should be assuming that the typical user is going to take what they are dishing out quietly.

again, your stake in the loss of the CR100 is exactly what? and you care about this topic exactly why?

Sonos - Please find a way to keep the CR100 in the Eco-System, a Legacy Path is being asked for.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Some posts back people expressed the view that they might be able to help save the CR100s but won't lift a finger because it doesn't directly effect them, they can't immediately see the appeal and they don't like the "tone" of some of the messages people are posting.
After reading this and the following quote sprang to mind "If you tolerate this your children will be next"

In looking to over come the problem Sonos are creating for me (and other users) I considered using an old phone as an alternative dedicated controller, notably a iPhone4 that I had kicking around in a draw. I quickly came across a forum about Sonos iOS controller on the iPhone4 no longer being supported.
I was struck by a level of hypocrisy in the out rage expressed towards Apple by the very same posters whom refuse to accept that there maybe some value to these units to the people whom still own them.

To these "Sonos Influencers" I direct the following points:

1) Just be cause you don't have on doesn't make it worthless.
- All controllers are enablers for the Sonos hardware (as are additional services or music collections). The more the better even the obscure unofficial ones.
-I can even see why someone would hack together an old jukebox to control sonos, it it the easiest, most cutting edge or best solution for a controller probably not but as a tactile / visual interface its an amazing concept does this make it the direction Sonos future business plan should go? Probably not but should they actively kill it from connecting to the system?

2) Sonos offers your music your way, thats the appeal.
- There is no oneway people use Sonos, (nor should there be)
be it Spotify, Pandora, Radio, NAS collection of MP3 / MP4, LineIn or voice control / CR100 / CR200 / iPhone/ Android/ iPad/ PC / Mac etc all played through mix of different zones with different applications or groupings. The combinations are endless, that the broad appeal of the system

3) CR100s are water resistant
-Whilst I don't need it on the loo (I sure some people user them in bathrooms), it is very good around the pool area.
-Sonos still acknowledged this benefit to this day, the play 1s are advertised as moist resistant hence can be used in the bathrooms.
-I appreciate its not for everyone & every application but it has a place

4) Voice control has its place, but not every place.
- Voice control is improving but do you really want to spend ten minites repeating yourself every-time you want some music saying something to the effect of "Please Sonos play the F__k!ng playlist I want" (or maybe just press the but on your old but trusty CR100)
- All those people with a Sonos in the bathroom / bedroom, Do you really want an Alexa / Siri / Google monitoring all the noises you make in these spaces just in case you utter some magic words?
- I believe(?) Alexa is still unable to access my music from a NAS, so if you own & like your own collection of music, back to a hand held controller or app.

5) Just because part of the system is ageing it doesn't stop people buying the latest and greatest new Sonos products.
- In fact it does the polar opposite, customers value Sonos' approach to expanding the eco-system and adding new functionality (where possible) and this creates great customer loyalty in encouraging people to invest in and pay a premium for SONOS knowing that its not money wasted on a disposable tech toy or cheap blue tooth speaker.
- It's Sonos decision to kill the CR100 that is forcing people to lock down their system and in turn not to buy future (incompatible) Sonos products, it's not the other way around.

6) There is a big difference between actively disconnecting functional hardware from functional systems and choosing to discontinue support, not to expand the functionality and allowing the CR100 to degraded elegantly & organically.
- After all this is what people paid for, their value decision was based on what it does for them at the time of decision (not if it can support voice control or some service never dreamed of at the time of purchase).
- If Sonos chooses to adds or remove additional functionality that never existed when the system was developed all good and well but this is different to removing core functions from the controllers irrespective of age.
- The choice to stop using (or sell on if they desire) the CR100s should be for the individual consumers based on what it does or doesn't do for them.

So, trusted SONOS Influencers if there is anything in this logic that strikes a cord with you either specifically for the CR100s or any other piece of hardware you may own and value
I encourage you to add your voices either here or directly with SONOS to find a more elegant solution for all parties.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

PS.
Sorry about the length of the post, thanks for taking the time to read this far!
You were wrong about the CR200 not connecting to Sonosnet, and you were wrong about the first generation hardware not being voice control compatible. That is all I pointed out. The fact you want to reply with TL;DR missives and attacks is on you, not me. Have a nice day! 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge
I have just read the email about the CR100 being discontinued from April (unfortunately the email was in my SPAM folder), effectively forcing us to use the android app just when it has gone severely downhill in recent months.

I find the dangerous battery excuse to be completely bogus as batteries are freely available and changeable by any competent technician. Indeed, I already have spare batteries and a virgin/unopened CR100 as backup (neither needed yet).

I accept that Sonos may not be able to support the ever changing interfaces of external services, but please keep the dedicated CR100 controller operational, albeit with reduced function, i.e. with library and tunein radio. It is the visual and operational focus of my systems.

I personally have Sonos multiroom systems in two countries and have bought and recommended Sonos systems for families, friends and customers.

SONOS - PLEASE DON'T BETRAY MY CONFIDENCE, PATRONAGE AND EVANGELISM FOR THE SONOS PRODUCT RANGE!

JohnD
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

365 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index70.html#post16217266
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
As Sonos have gone quiet on us we must presume that they are going to proceed regardless.
Accordingly I think it prudent to take steps to protect ourselves.

I need to check my system tonight but last time I tried to block port 4444 it took my internet radio streams offline in Sonos.
I have only blocked update.sonos.com in my router.

I think all users of the CR100 should write to Sonos to confirm we do not consent to their unlawful interference with our sonos systems. Here is a very rough draft of a letter - very happy for other people to input into this.

Dear Sirs,

As a longstanding user of a SONOS music system ("System") with 6 CR100 controllers ("CR100's") and associated players representing a significant investment in the System I was concerned to see the news that you are going to intentionally damage my System with the forthcoming software update in April 2018.

You have stated that the software update in April will permanently disconnect my CR100's from the System thereby rendering them useless and having a hugely detrimental effect on my use of the System. I have a CR100 for each zone of the System.

You have made no provision for me to "opt-out" of this process and, when pressed for guidance on how to do this, you have merely stated that you do not recommend people try to "opt-out". This is not acceptable.

In order to protect my System from this threatened harm I have blocked access to the website: update.sonos.com via my internet router but as you have provided no guidance whatsover on doing this I do not know if this will be sufficient.

Unless you provide a process which will avoid the inadvertent updating of my System I put you on notice now that I will hold you responsible for any damage that may be caused to my System or CR100's as a result of your forthcoming update.

Yours faithfully,
Userlevel 2
What I do not get is that the battery is perfectly swappable either by a technician in a shop, a tech savvy person or even by Sonos through a mail-in service. Each option would have it's price and risks associated. This is even more a pity as Sonos does not offer any device of this type anymore so why not let it on the system and warn user about the lithium cell issue and offer that 125€ recycling option for people willing to get rid of it only.
I do not own one myself but I would have loved a second-hand just for the usefulness of it.
I also understand that there are a ton of other devices like tablets and phone but nothing beats a direct dedicated control especially with children or for convenience.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Forgot to add, I tried this Alexa malarkey at the weekend ( I tried it ages ago as well and it wasn't great )
"Alexa, play The Who"

"playing Poo-poo in the prawn by Ian Dury"

Don't tell me this is better than a CR100!
Forgot to add, I tried this Alexa malarkey at the weekend ( I tried it ages ago as well and it wasn't great )
"Alexa, play The Who"

Let’s try that with the CR100. I’ve certainly never played them since I was maybe 18, so not on any playlists.

Scroll, scroll, scroll, type, type, type,... 10 minutes later.... still scrolling...

“Alexa, play the album xxxxx by The Who!” Piece of cake.
Unless you provide a process which will avoid the inadvertent updating of my System I put you on notice now that I will hold you responsible for any damage that may be caused to my System or CR100's as a result of your forthcoming update.
Out of interest, how would Sonos provide a process to stop the Apple/Google/Amazon app stores from auto-updating the app? It's entirely in the user's hands. As, for that matter, is the Check for Updates setting on the system itself.
Userlevel 2
Is there anyway to have the CR100 code made public, and I guess some info about how to interface with Sonos equipment.
That would allow programmers to keep it working for the community.... Just saying. At least it would make Sonos look no so bad to it's longtime userbase.....
Is there anyway to have the CR100 code made public, and I guess some info about how to interface with Sonos equipment.
There's the Works with Sonos program, as exploited by a number of companies to interface their products.

Open-sourcing the CR100 code most probably has commercial confidentiality implications. There's also the rather fundamental problem of how to load a third party image onto the CR, since its only channel of communication is via the Sonos system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
"Alexa, play The Who"

Let’s try that with the CR100. I’ve certainly never played them since I was maybe 18, so not on any playlists.

Scroll, scroll, scroll, type, type, type,... 10 minutes later.... still scrolling...

“Alexa, play the album xxxxx by The Who!” Piece of cake.

Nope- push music button, move down to artist, power scroll to W, select - 24 seconds I reckon with wet hands in the pool and a beer in the other hand
Userlevel 3
Badge
For the Dutchies, I've also posted a complaint at the Consumentenbond (Consumers Association) and they invited Sonos to react. I referred to this topic. You can freeze functionality but can't just switch the device it off.

https://www.klachtenkompas.nl/bedrijf/sonos/klachten/titel/details?complaintId=60904b7a-a8bf-4ce6-bf64-9425949c950d
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Out of interest, how would Sonos provide a process to stop the Apple/Google/Amazon app stores from auto-updating the app? It's entirely in the user's hands. As, for that matter, is the Check for Updates setting on the system itself.

My point is that all of this is clearly in Sonos' control- no other update has bricked the system. Perhaps an option in settings to disable updates? OK this would require yet another non-bricking update from Sonos but is the least they should be doing.
Apple can manage to stop supporting old ipads/iphones without bricking them (I'm no apple fan these days by the way)
and I expect Sonos to do the same.
no other update has bricked the system.
To be fair, neither would the upcoming one. The players, bridges, docks, etc will be fine. They just won't talk to the CR100.

Perhaps an option in settings to disable updates?

You must mean accidental updates. There's already an option to disable the update check.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I wonder after April, if sonos will have extra support staff, back dating customers software version to make the CR100 work again?
Or will that option be refused as the batteries are dangerous?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I wonder after April, if sonos will have extra support staff, back dating customers software version to make the CR100 work again?
Or will that option be refused as the batteries are dangerous?

Re Q1 - If only.
Re Q2 - Yup.

Sad but I suspect true! 😞

I want a choice in the matter, be it new remotes, or a way to stay on a legacy path, and I really could not care if they replace all of the gear, but no manufacturer should be assuming that the typical user is going to take what they are dishing out quietly.

To be fair, Sonos offers lots of choices. Android app, iOS app, windows application, hard buttons on products, voice control, and other 3rd party applications and hardware. Sonos gives lots of possibilities for control. I could be wrong, but I doubt any other audio systems gives the same level of choices for control. I get that these choices aren't appealing to you and many other customers because you want a Sonos hardware remote option, but you most certainly are given choices for control of your Sonos system.
More choices coming all the time. Soon, Google Assistant, which is currently the most accurate voice Assistant. Should make music selection even easier than the already dead simple Alexa. Makes the CR100 seem very quaint. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
There's the Works with Sonos program, as exploited by a number of companies to interface their products.

Open-sourcing the CR100 code most probably has commercial confidentiality implications. There's also the rather fundamental problem of how to load a third party image onto the CR, since its only channel of communication is via the Sonos system.

Simple actually,
they would have to setup a defined "Sonos Legacy" or go the other way "SonosV2" and provide both Apps for the user to select.
the trick would be in the background for the proper firmware update to be sent to the players based on a choice we should be given in our Sonos Account Profile.
Certainly not a "simple" solution, but it should be able to be implemented if they cared.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

To be fair, Sonos offers lots of choices. Android app, iOS app, windows application, hard buttons on products, voice control, and other 3rd party applications and hardware. Sonos gives lots of possibilities for control. I could be wrong, but I doubt any other audio systems gives the same level of choices for control. I get that these choices aren't appealing to you and many other customers because you want a Sonos hardware remote option, but you most certainly are given choices for control of your Sonos system.

These are all the same APP,
they do not replace the hardware based tactile button controller that we purchased, NOT as included items inside the box with the zone player, but rather expensive controllers.
to simply decide they do not/will not/ cannot support them in their quest to move to newer tech without giving some sort of options for those of use that do not care to use the new tech is simply wrong.

I am sure the move forward will give loads more options for those that do not mind to use the APP or for that matter there will likely be other 3rd party vendors that will integrate using Sonos within THEIR Eco-System as well, so based on how this is heading you may not even need to use a Sonos app to run thru a whole house Connected system,
but I want to keep what I paid for and would be content to stay as I am

Sonos,. Give me that option.