Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

If hardly anyone purchased them after 2009 why are there still dozens on EBay?
And no-one is forcing you to read this.
If you don't like what is being said then don't read the thread! Simples!

Unfortunately for you, you need a heck of a lot more than the 200 or so posters here in order to sway Sonos to your cause. Alienating those of us who once were sympathetic and could have chosen to exert our efforts is not going to add to that 200. I for one was all in favor of a better way to accommodate those who still use the CR100 when this thread first started. That favor is very quickly turning to contempt, given the tone of this thread, not to mention the injection of CR100 moans in other threads that have nothing to do with this subject
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A better solution for the update conundrum is giving users a choice re: what firmware they get to run on their system. This is what I would really like Sonos to do, just as its competition already does.

Which multi room WiFi music system allows users a choice of firmware? Only one I can think of is the defunct SqueezeBox (which never was a viable multi room system).

Seriously what difference does it make?
this is an issue where Sonos sold their users a hardware based controller with defined physical buttons and purpose.
we were all proud Sonos hardware owners and handed anyone that wanted to play a Sonos branded device setup to perform one task perfectly.
the Touchscreen actually came later, and has never been as good.
I will agree there are things you need to do on a PC or touchscreen and the CR100 is not up to the task, BUT, when you finally want to sit down, relax, and select a group of songs, or a playlist to play, I do not want to hear myself talk, I press a button, and while I am listening I do not expect to hear myself or someone else talk to setup the next song.....

lets use another analogy on our specific issue:
how would you feel if the manufacturer of the car you drive sends you a letter saying that for safety reasons they are going to make inoperable all of the controls in your car, you should even rip them out and throw them away if you like, but we are not going to require you to send them to us (we do not want to actually have to deal with the disposal of them)
BUT, all of the controls for your car will now be the responsibility of a 3rd party manufacturer to make functional, and we will push the software to that 3rd party device and you MUST use a touchscreen to manage your entire cars function.
OK, you can keep the steering wheel and pedals, but everything else, radio, wipers, lights, defroster, seat controls, heat, AC, Etc, is going to be on a device we no longer make (or are responsible for making sure will work with our firmware) and we only provide the firmware.
I promise you that you will be replacing that device quite often as both sides have no obligation to make sure things work. Finger pointing will be great, and the use of that car will go down the toilet.

I would not be buying that car, and I usually make a car purchase partially due to their controls.
But I DID purchase the Sonos gear partly because of the controls,

What Sonos is doing is simply WRONG.
Please don't do this Sonos. I have rental properties and leave Sonos in them - easy for guests to use and doesn't require them to download Apps. People who are not IT proficient can quickly master the Controller, but asking them to download Apps [that is if they have a SmartPhone / iPad etc] and control the SONOS from those devices is a step too far.

If hardly anyone purchased them after 2009 why are there still dozens on EBay?

Oh dear, do you want to reconsider the sense of that question? The device was discontinued in 2009. Any subsequent change of ownership has no impact on the number remaining in working order.
Please don't do this Sonos. I have rental properties and leave Sonos in them - easy for guests to use and doesn't require them to download Apps. People who are not IT proficient can quickly master the Controller, but asking them to download Apps [that is if they have a SmartPhone / iPad etc] and control the SONOS from those devices is a step too far.

There are some alternatives that will not require much technical proficiency. An Android tablet with the Sonos app pinned to the home screen is one.

A better solution for the update conundrum is giving users a choice re: what firmware they get to run on their system. This is what I would really like Sonos to do, just as its competition already does.

Which multi room WiFi music system allows users a choice of firmware? Only one I can think of is the defunct SqueezeBox (which never was a viable multi room system).

Seriously what difference does it make?

What difference do facts make? Seriously?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Wouldn't it be nice if we had a choice re: what firmware we are allowed to run on our HiFi equipment, like other manufacturers allow their user bases to?

There are some alternatives that will not require much technical proficiency. An Android tablet with the Sonos app pinned to the home screen is one.
This thread gives some useful info on possibilities.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/android-controllers-and-setup-past-the-cr100-brick-6802192/index1.html
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
...We do know that it includes hardly anyone who bought their first Sonos component after 2009.

How do we know that? Is there a public record of how many people have bought used CR100s?

Good grief, is this what the thread has deteriorated to? The CR100 was discontinued in 2009. It is not a stretch of facts to say hardly anyone purchased one after 2009.

Just a little warning: This thread has morphed from discussing an issue that everyone could understand and be sympathetic for, into a few die hard keyboard warriors who are quite quickly using up whatever public sympathy they have left. Nitpicking comments like this, or the entitled insistence that Sonos give you instructions for a procedure they in no way recommend does absolutely nothing to rally the public to your cause. It simply makes them wish you would go away.

It was a genuine question, which was later answered quite reasonably. I am not sure whether I qualify as a "die-hard keyboard warrior" given my post count, but in any case that's irrelevant to the topic.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The batteries are easily obtainable on both Amazon and eBay at around $15. Go for it 🙂 ... there's this blow-by-blow account of the procedure if you want a helping hand:
https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/guide-to-changing-the-cr100-battery-5216

A quick update on battery replacement. The first few CR100s I fitted with new batteries continued to work with my system as soon as I plugged in the new battery, but a later one started up from scratch and wanted to be connected. I guess it depends on how long the battery is unplugged, but it re-connected without problems.

It was a genuine question, which was later answered quite reasonably. I am not sure whether I qualify as a "die-hard keyboard warrior" given my post count, but in any case that's irrelevant to the topic.

Really? If I said there were "hardly any sales of the 2017 Toyota Camry after the 2018 model came out" would you start citing used car sales? Answer honestly.

Really? If I said there were "hardly any sales of the 2017 Toyota Camry after the 2018 model came out" would you start citing used car sales? Answer honestly.
I am not sure this debate is really productive. It seems very unlikely that once the CR100 was discontinued, lots of new Sonos owners chose to pay for a CR100 when there was a free app. And even if they did, they could only do so by buying from people who wanted to dump them. The point is that 99.999% of Sonos users have probably not even heard of the CR100. (And that 99.999% figure is to make a point. I don't know that that is the exact figure)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Has the topic of open sourcing the CR100 platform been raised anywhere? I've been a Sonos owner for 12 years, and since I avoid Windows, iOS and Android (prefer Linux) the CR100 is essential to my installation. If there are enough people who care about the CR100 then could we not be allowed to shoulder the burden of maintaining its software?
I am not sure this debate is really productive. It seems unlikely that once the CR100 was discontinued, lots of people chose to pay for a CR100 when there was a free app. And even if they did, they could only do so by buying from people who wanted to dump them. The point is that 99.999% of Sonos users have probably not even heard of the CR100. (And that 99.999% figure is to make a point. I don't know that that is the exact figure)

Agreed. Which is why I called it nitpicking.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We are going further off topic, but I will indulge you. The answer to your question is no, I doubt I would. But that is not relevant to the point John B was trying to make:

I don't think any of us knows how reflective this is of the total aggrieved population. We do know that it includes hardly anyone who bought their first Sonos component after 2009.

John B's statement is analogous to saying "the number of Toyota Camry drivers affected by the recall of 2017 cars includes hardly anyone who bought one after the 2018 model came out", which is quite different to what you asked. Anyone who bought a used 2017 Camry at any time since they were on sale would of course be affected by the recall. In short, "bought" does not imply "bought new", particularly in this context.

To bring this closer to the original topic: all we know is that the upper bound on the number of people affected by this is the number of CR100s sold new, and I don't think we know that number. Trying to infer the split of those people according to when they bought CR100s, new or used, is fairly pointless speculation unless there's some data to back it up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I am not sure this debate is really productive. It seems unlikely that once the CR100 was discontinued, lots of people chose to pay for a CR100 when there was a free app. And even if they did, they could only do so by buying from people who wanted to dump them. The point is that 99.999% of Sonos users have probably not even heard of the CR100. (And that 99.999% figure is to make a point. I don't know that that is the exact figure)

perfect point to made here is that IF Sonos is making the final decision that they no longer want to support a piece of hardware they created, and those of us that likely made the purchase decision on, JUST to move onto a forced Touchscreen and/or voice control based system THEN they should be giving those of us with the Controllers OPTIONS to stay the way we are, or join them in their folly to move down the path they have now CHANGED to.

they should not be simply killing off the devices and FORCING us to accept it.

and those of you that see "no issue" with this should really take a look around at everything else you own and tell me you would be willing to allow every other manufacturer of every device you own to force you to change, even if you felt it was not a positive one.
if you cannot tell me that you would allow everything else to change then you really should not speaking out FOR Sonos here.....

this is not about "moving forward with tech" its choice, and keeping the items we purchased functional.
if Sonos asked me to either keep everything workable as is OR move forward with new voice control and streaming I choose keep what I have.
but I have not been provided with a choice.
I agree it doesn't matter when and how users bought the CR100. The point is every second hand purchase is also a sale, and the vast majority of Sonos systems have been bought post 2009
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The point is that 99.999% of Sonos users have probably not even heard of the CR100. (And that 99.999% figure is to make a point. I don't know that that is the exact figure)
No, the point is not if John B or jgatie or anyone else has heard of the CR100 or that they don’t care if it disappears, or what percentage of Sonos owners agree with them.

The point of this thread is that people, who paid for their CR100s and continue to want to use them, are now having them taken away, and that these people DO CARE about this - for a lot of different reasons that have been explained in great detail.

A further point is that Sonos obviously DO NOT CARE that they now alienate all these users.
@stevecomp3. You have the option not to update, keep what you have, including the CR100
I am not speaking out for Sonos, or trying to justify their action,, or dismiss the genuine anger felt by some. I just think the claims that this is going to do more than negligible damage to Sonos are fanciful.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@stevecomp3. You have the option not to update, keep what you have, including the CR100
Only if you don't
  • Update the iOS App in the future
  • Buy a new iOS Device (App backups are tied to device ID)
  • Try to add a new System component with a earlier / later firmware edition
  • Have a guest come over and accidentally do it for you via their iOS App
  • Etc.
Thus, for continued Sonos CR100 enjoyment we are to blackhole update.sonos.com, not purchase a new iOS device that we want to run the Sonos App on, and stop buying new Sonos components.

I'd prefer if Sonos could simply allow us to lock in at 8.4. Better yet, allow us to choose the firmware we want to run our systems on. Any component sold today should be "down-gradable" to 8.4, even in the future. That's what other competitors apparently allow their users to do, so why not Sonos?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
...I just think the claims that this is going to do more than negligible damage to Sonos are fanciful.
Apart from a few angry outbursts (including mine), most posts here (including mine) have been constructive. No-one wants to hurt Sonos.

We just want Sonos not to hurt us, and we have every right to fight for that - whatever percentage of Sonos users we represent.

I'd prefer if Sonos could simply allow us to lock in at 8.4. Better yet, allow us to choose the firmware we want to run our systems on. Any component sold today should be "down-gradable" to 8.4, even in the future. That's what other competitors apparently allow their users to do, so why not Sonos?

You want the honest answer? Because there aren't enough of you to offset the infrastructure, development, and support costs of allowing you to do it. Not what you want to hear, but that is the case.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The discusion has now got in a circle.
We who bought the cr100 12 years ago and still like it and those who never have seen one.
They are fast and easy to use, but today that doesnt matter everybody like their apps even if it takes 20 strokes.
And I know of severel people who doesent know about the bricking and I have not got the email.so maybe its 20% of the user who is visiting the forum.
So it will be very intresting what will happen when they realy brick the cr100, there is a lot of users who dont know anything of this, they are just happy of their system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

John B
I have locked down my system, and will not update and keep my wall up as long as i can.
however,
I have also come to realize while repairing these units that there are security certificates and occasional updates required to keep some of the internet connected streaming working.. I believe 1-2 years down the road the only thing officially working will be local files,
Only Sonos can confirm/deny this, but I do believe the lack of any further support to allow certificates to update or fixes to the EXISTING streaming services then Sonos will all be killing the functionality of the players if we do not allow the updates to happen.

Again, they sold this product to use, as buyers we believed the simple ability of a controller to function as a controller would happen until the controller becomes dust in my hands, not when the company that sold us this product makes a decision that they want to travel down a different path than we wanted to go down (for that matter the path did not even exist when the product was sold) and this means that the product I purchased is going to become trash by Sonos's choice.
Let Sonos continue down the SonosV2 path, or give us a Sonos Legacy path, but find a way to make it official choices where users do not have to build a wall and hide just to keep what we purchased working.
if Sonos makes it a choice THEN they should be providing the needed updates to retain the CR100 and allow for the current streaming.
Sonos should be recognizing the issue is not going to be accepted by many of the CR100 owners and they should have officially provided different paths for us to take.

for the current generation and early adopters, they do not have much allegiance to anything these days, they likely never saw a CR100 and do not care. Good luck keeping these users long term.
my generation does show alleginace, and we do not take kindly to any company that forces their costly changes on us, in this case its in all the CR100's we care about and by extension all the SONOS gear I own as well. Good luck getting us back, screw us once shame on you........

its all boiling down to a matter of time, And Sonos has the chance to make this right. 3rd party controller is not the answer. and forcing me to take a path I have no interest in is not either.