Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Good news.

Just confirmed that I can still update my music index and radio stations. So, stop updating your iOS/Android app, block update.sonos.com at the router level, and enjoy continued use of your CR100's.
Userlevel 2
Sonos abandoning the early adopters and hardcore users that made their company...
Typical, just like Apple abandoning the creative users that established their company. Dedicated hardware is cool. Sonos, you used to be cool, what happened?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am NOT at all happy with SONOS taking an affirmative action to deliberately brick hardware that I own, that I paid (handsomely) for, that has served me perfectly well for the last decade, and more to the point is continuing to serve me satisfactorily to this day.

Can you just *imagine* Apple doing this? - deliberately bricking original iPad 1's for example? (I still have an old iPad 1, - it won't take any recent iOS updates, and many apps on the appstore won't run on it, but it STILL WORKS, and Apple aren't (AFAIK) planning on deliberately destroying it...

Class action suit anyone??? :@:@:@:@:@

What Sonos is doing is tantamount to theft, or at least wilful damage. We’ve paid for these devices, and now Sonos is destroying them on a flimsy and undocumented “safety” pretext - simply because they don't fit into the company's new media policy.

Adding insult to injury, the options Sonos leaves us to continue to use the CR100 are simply not tenable. They should AT THE VERY LEAST provide an easy and safe method to block all future updates on ALL associated devices. Leaving it to the user to find out how to do this is NOT going to work! Put a "Sonos Classic" option on the Preferences menu, please!

If Sonos gets away with this, it will set a very dangerous precedent. I can easily imagine Apple and many others, who have not been mad enough to try anything like this themselves, watching with interest. There coluld be an avalanche of bricked products if this is not stopped.

Class action suit, bring it on!
Userlevel 1
Here here! - wholeheartedly DISMAYED AND DISGUSTED by this announcement... I have 3 x CR100s all with wall cradles, and all in a permanent mount scenario, where NO OTHER CONTROL OPTION is as elegant, and straightforward for the particular use cases where I have used CR100's - why on earth else do you imagine I still have them in use today?!?!?

I have literally only a month or two ago, purchased & installed all new batteries in my 3 CR100s, in the expectation that I'd get another 10 years sterling service from these much beloved units.

a £100 voucher of another SONOS purchase??? - do me a favour!... - that is completely & utterly value-less to me... - I already have the 8 zones in my house that I need, & thus I *have* no future SONOS purchases in mind at the moment.. Now, talk to me about a (worthwhile) discount against 3 tablet devices that it looks like I'm going to have to purchase to wall mount in place of my CR100s, (then spend no doubt many hours of my time trying to configure them to behave as elegantly as a control point as the CR100's do), and perhaps we might have a conversation.

SONOS - DO NOT DO THIS

Believe it or not, there are use cases in which no other controller is as simple & elegant as my wall-mounted CR100s, and that, in my opinion, is one of the 2 main pillars of the entire SONOS value proposition: excellent audio quality, and *supreme* ease of use - often this is paraphrased into the much-sought and rarely awarded; "It just works". Forcing me to adopt a different control paradigm, which is LESS satisfactory than what I have now, damages that reputation.

I cannot conceive of any other company (who's products I would consider paying for), deliberately "bricking" functioning products that customers are happy with. I'm perfectly OK with any or all of:
- we don't / won't offer further software updates
- we don't / won't offer spare parts or repairs
- these units may not support future features
- we are not liable if the batteries explode (which may be in the T&C's already?)
I am NOT at all happy with SONOS taking an affirmative action to deliberately brick hardware that I own, that I paid (handsomely) for, that has served me perfectly well for the last decade, and more to the point is continuing to serve me satisfactorily to this day.

Can you just *imagine* Apple doing this? - deliberately bricking original iPad 1's for example? (I still have an old iPad 1, - it won't take any recent iOS updates, and many apps on the appstore won't run on it, but it STILL WORKS, and Apple aren't (AFAIK) planning on deliberately destroying it...

Class action suit anyone??? :@:@:@:@:@
Userlevel 1
If SONOS can deliberately render my CR100 as useless, how long will it be before other bits of kit fall into the same category. I purchased my gear in good faith and expected many years of use from it. I cannot think of any other company who would do this. I know one thing for sure, I will be an ex SONOS customer and will never recommend them to any of my associates.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
If SONOS can deliberately render my CR100 as useless, how long will it be before other bits of kit fall into the same category. I purchased my gear in good faith and expected many years of use from it. I cannot think of any other company who would do this. I know one thing for sure, I will be an ex SONOS customer and will never recommend them to any of my associates.

Sonos completely ignore (or don't care) that trust takes years to build but seconds to destroy. I have recommended Sonos to scores of my friends, and half a dozen have bought it. NEVER AGAIN.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
...this only is the case when the software version between your controller and the firmware on the speakers isn't the same. So if you see function reduction either your controller or your speaker firmware has already been updated.

But that quickly becomes a problem when you can no longer update because that would brick your controllers.

I was reacting on Kelson who stated that "not updating reduces functionality in the app such as adding music to the library" which is not true. So if you want to keep using the CR100 make sure you don't update anything (no Sonos device, no other controller) and everything should keep working as it is now as long as other companies (such as Spotify, Amazon etc.) don't change anything that would require an update for Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
If SONOS can deliberately render my CR100 as useless, how long will it be before other bits of kit fall into the same category.
Not very soon, I'd wager. In fact, the deletion of CR100 support has everything to do with not having relevant resources on site anymore to support the hardware and they offer little to no future profit potential.

After all, controllers don't enable potential monetization of the user base the way that players do. For example, I doubt that the CR100 could serve up or enable 'targeted' ads and other nonsense nearly as nicely as your iPhone Sonos App could. Even if Sonos doesn't cheapen the controller experience via ads, it can still use the players to send valuable telemetry data back - i.e. what is playing, how often, etc. for marketing purposes. Similarly, the data Sonos supplies to controllers can be manipulated to show preference to some content over other - for a price of course.

All this may remain an option for now, but it is potentially valuable, especially if the company has to be sold. Sonos has had to endure significant layoffs because the days of being a niche leader with fat margins are being challenged by a variety of new competitors like Amazon, Apple, Bluesound, Denon, Google, etc. None of them have a directly-comparable product but Sonos no longer has the market pretty much to itself.

I am very happy that I have a current 64-bit Sonos iOS App that should last me through several iOS system upgrades. The key will be to keep it at the current release level and to never update it. Additionally, it might be worthwhile to Wireshark the players to see if they try to send any payloads besides update requests to the mothership.
Userlevel 1
This is an appalling act - to deliberately take away the functionality of my equipment that I paid good money for, and which continues to serve me well and meet my needs.

To try and argue that it relates to safety issues with the lithium-ion battery is an insult to everyone - Sonos at least have the balls to just admit you don't want to support the equipment we purchased in good faith.

I have 8 ZP80's in my system - how long before Sonos decides to obsolete them also?

Shame on you Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Good news.

Just confirmed that I can still update my music index and radio stations. So, stop updating your iOS/Android app, block update.sonos.com at the router level, and enjoy continued use of your CR100's.

Unfortunately not something everyone can do. For instance, I can't change firewall settings on my package-deal VDSL router. I bet there are plenty of Sonos users who either have similar problems or simply have no idea how to mess around with firewalls.

AND IT SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY. Sonos should at the very least provide us with tools to simply and safely disable their planned massacre.

A "Sonos Classic" mode could be a half way decent solution to this madness. If that involved indemnifying Sonos against exploding batteries, fine with me.

Come on Sonos, work with us!
I want to add my voice to the number of users unhappy with this change. I understand the need to stop supporting older hardware, but to disable it seems unbelievable. Why can't this device be left to extremely basic abilities?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
...this only is the case when the software version between your controller and the firmware on the speakers isn't the same. So if you see function reduction either your controller or your speaker firmware has already been updated.

But that quickly becomes a problem when you can no longer update because that would brick your controllers.

I was reacting on Kelson who stated that "not updating reduces functionality in the app such as adding music to the library" which is not true. So if you want to keep using the CR100 make sure you don't update anything (no Sonos device, no other controller) and everything should keep working as it is now as long as other companies (such as Spotify, Amazon etc.) don't change anything that would require an update for Sonos.

Thanks for the clarification Damon77 but the problem is one of control. I have a large Sonos system spanning several buildings. Not all parts of the system are necessarily running at all times. It then just takes one accidental update to one part to trigger an issue when another part comes on stream.

For example, if most of the system is at 8.4, then I fire up one or more devices at a previous version, voila, an issue. This is further exacerbated where Sonos have moved to another version and I want to bring the system into line (or not as the case my be). If most of the system is 8.4, 8.5 plus comes on stream, I add a component at 8.1 how do I take that to 8.4 to avoid bricking my cr100 and retain full system control from all devices. Its even worse if its a phone controller at 8.1 (as an example because my android 4.2.2 OS wont support beyond that) because that becomes useless as a controller without both an OS upgrade plus Sonos upgrade. Then we will be in the same perpetual upgrade loop with no method of selecting the Sonos version to upgrade to.

As an aside, several mentions of apple have appeared for comparison, well at least if you use iTunes, you can select which version to use/upgrade to that matches the hardware and OS'es you are running. And yes, being old school I have a 250 gb ipod (ssd upgraded) which works fine - a legacy product still supported by its eco system which is under my control.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Good news.

Whats the easiest way to confirm I have done this successfully?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Attempt to do a "check for upgrade" from any controller.... it should fail with an error message...

This should be a fairly safe option... - the lethal upgrade isn't released yet, and the check for upgrade does not imply installing one, you can still say no to the upgrade if your router config is incorrect and the controller is able to find one...

P.
Now that Sonos have stop supporting the CR100 controller which of their products are they going to stop supporting next. I have used the CR100 for a few years and it works well, in fact better than the using the App because it uses the Sonos network and not WiFi which is has limited coverage in my home, that was one of the main reasons I chose the CR100.
I thought that Sonos was there for the long term but the fact that they are no longer supporting a product that does what it says on the box makes me wonder. I am now thinking they will be pushing me to look at the competition and how they look after loyal customers?
Please reconsider the long term support of your loyal customers, if you don't support your products for the long term you WILL not gain new customers and loose loyal customers!
Take a look at recent disclosures by Apple, how are they thought of by current and potential customers?

Extremely Disappointed
CJJ
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
...I have a large Sonos system spanning several buildings. Not all parts of the system are necessarily running at all times. It then just takes one accidental update to one part to trigger an issue when another part comes on stream.

I have similar issues, only not just in different buildings, but different COUNTRIES! I now have to arrange for people (with the right expertise) to update my Sonos system in my holiday home to the same version I have in my main home, or else the Sonos/iTunes system I have on my MacBookPro here won't work when I take it with me on holiday.

No doubt others have even more complex issues, and SHAME ON SONOS for ignoring us. Sonos created a technology that can build hugely complex music systems, and a lot of people have done just that. This is not an Amazon Echo or some other single-point music streamer. It's serious HiFi on which its owners have spent thousands and thousands, and we deserve to be treated with respect that reflects our investment.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have just checked what I paid for my Sonos system. In 2009 each of my 8 CR100s was £237. At the 2009 exchange rate that was a total of $2,700. Just for the controllers (a CR100 actually cost more than some of the ZonePlayers).

Adjust for inflation and the value of what Sonos is now telling me to junk is THREE GRAND! Because THEY have changed their media policy.

NO WAY, JOSE!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
We purchased 7 CR100s back in the day because we were content to pay more than the cost of a smartphone because the CR100 controller was so much better at controlling our Sonos system.

It seems Sonos are prepared to "punish" loyal early adopters twice, first they tell us they will no longer offer a battery replacement service (so we have to find out how and replace our own CR100 batteries) then they say because they no longer offer a battery replacement service they will deactivate all CR100s. In otherwords because they designed the CR100 not to have a user replaceable battery they were first able to charge us to replace the batteries (which of itself was a bit of ripoff!) right up to the point they decided to withdraw this service!

Whilst not idea, we could live the deactivation of our CR100s IF and only IF Sonos offered us an updated product. Take the CR100 increase the ram if needed, redesign the back so that there is battery compartment and user replaceable battery and sell it for about then same price as the original unit.

What is the problem? Sonos may not sell many but they will make good money on each one they do. People like us who value the differences a dedicated controller offers can continue as we have done for 14 years to be Sonos fans telling everyone how good Sonos is and those who like touch screens and smartphones can also continue to do what they have done for the last 9 years or so.

Class action if Sonos kill my system? Count me in!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have just realised I may have an issue. I had a Sonos Play 5 1st generation that was switched off and had not picked up the last update (8.3) it is on 8.2.2 Now when I switch it on it wants to update to 8.4. Now I am assuming that this will trigger to all the system?

Exactly the question many of us have. Which version is safe to install?

Sonos have replied to me that v.8.4 does not disable the CR100, but will send five messages to each controller, presumably being legal warnings that they are about to blow up, ignore at your peril! But they won't say what happens once you have had your five messages.

So I DON'T TRUST SONOS not to have built in some time bomb. I therefore won't "up"grade beyond 8.3.1. The huge problem will then be how to keep it at that level.

SHAME ON YOU SONOS. FROM HERO TO ZERO IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE!
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
SONOS DON’T DO THIS

Despit smartphones, a tab, both a desktop and laptops at our home, all with Sonos interface, I’ve been using our CR100 daily since 2006.

You can’t beat the ease to use the dedicated buttons on the controller always at the designated place on the shelf.

I fully join the “Save the CR100” movement.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Well I can say that if you press hard the nice people at UK Sonos will credit you with £100 for each of your CR-100's - which since I have 4 (all with new batteries) is good. Thanks UK Sonos for listening.

This follows emails to the CEO and the support unit pointing out the high original cost of this equipment - bought as part of packages with the audio units, so definitely part of the same "kit" - and the convenience to my non technical relatives, the fact that there is no fire risk (the new batteries) and the general discontent...

Even if Sonos UK give us a £100 voucher for EACH of our CR100s (which I find hard to believe given what they do in other countries, which is strictly ONE voucher per household, but I'll check) how does that help? The voucher they give you is for MORE SONOS EQUIPMENT, so if you already have all the players you need, how will even a (in my case) hefty £800 Sonos voucher help me buy hardware on which to run apps to replace my CR100s?

In fact, I looked at that option. It would cost me £1200-1500, and I’d end up with an update nightmare because whatever I bought would only last until Sonos decided not to support that particular platform any more, and on current form that could be anytime.

And even if vouchers did pay for new hardware, it would not solve the problem. I’m like lots of others; I DON'T WANT the Sonos app to replace my CR100s. I do use the app sometimes, but it is not as easy and convenient as the CR100, it is not easy to use for kids or the elderly and many others, and it can’t be used in a wet environment. The list goes on.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Well I can say that if you press hard the nice people at UK Sonos will credit you with £100 for each of your CR-100's - which since I have 4 (all with new batteries) is good. Thanks UK Sonos for listening.

This follows emails to the CEO and the support unit pointing out the high original cost of this equipment - bought as part of packages with the audio units, so definitely part of the same "kit" - and the convenience to my non technical relatives, the fact that there is no fire risk (the new batteries) and the general discontent...

Even if Sonos UK give us a £100 voucher for each of our CR100s (which I find hard to believe given what they do in other countries, which is strictly ONE voucher per household, but I'll check) how does that help? The voucher they give you is for MORE SONOS EQUIPMENT, so if you already have all the players you need, how will even a (in my case) hefty £800 Sonos voucher help me buy hardware on which to run apps to replace my CR100s?

In fact, I looked at that option. It would cost me £1200-1500, and I’d end up with an update nightmare because whatever I bought would only last until Sonos decided not to support that particular platform any more, and on current form that could be anytime.

And even if vouchers did pay for new hardware (which they won’t), it would not solve the problem. I’m like lots of others; I DON'T WANT the Sonos app to replace my CR100s. The app is not as easy and convenient as the CR100, it is not easy to use for kids, the elderly and many others, and it can’t be used in a wet environment. The list goes on.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Attempt to do a "check for upgrade" from any controller.... it should fail with an error message...

This should be a fairly safe option... - the lethal upgrade isn't released yet, and the check for upgrade does not imply installing one, you can still say no to the upgrade if your router config is incorrect and the controller is able to find one...

P.

Thanks for that and to Constantin for the DNS solution. Unfortunately my router is a bit limited regarding DNS assignments, however I have achieved the same result using its 'Parental Control' aspect and blocking the URL access in the router. That does not fully protect me, but will certainly block any updates initiated accidentally through my 'base' network.

For the Android devices at version 4.2.2, I have removed the Sonos App and replaced it with Andronos. This works well enough to be a good alternative with the only thing it is missing for me is control over the wake up alarm. Well worth donating to the developer as I now have 3 further devices that can control the Sonos system without needing to be aligned to some particular software version across the whole eco system. In fact, that might mean I can have different software versions on different devices (not sure I'll ever know that given they are all now at 8.4, and I do not intend to buy a new device just to find out I can't use it).

One other word of caution for anyone who might be looking at getting second hand units (Amps/Speakers/Controllers etc). If they are not at the same version as the rest of your system, the only way you will be able to use them will be if you update the system, and if you cannot limit the update to 8.4 (or less), you might gain a component at the cost of some other component, currently the CR100, but who knows what might be on the cards for those old (perfectly serviceable) ZP80s/ZP100s etc.
Userlevel 2
Very unhappy as well with this news.

I have been using 2 CR100s and 4 CR200 for years and nothing can replace dedicated controllers:
- faster than using any app, just the touch of a button
- available in kid's rooms even for those who don't have smartphones yet
- always available in each room whereas we don't carry our smartphones everywhere with us across the house, especially for shaving or showering...
- waterproof for the CR100 which is great for bathrooms as well

Not too mention the cost of CR100s and CR200s at the time.

SONOS, I don't see how CR100s could not be maintained even with simpler functionalities. As relates to the battery pretext we can for sure provide you with an acknowledgment of the risk we take but the procedure for changing batteries is quite simple anyway.

I fully join the "Save the CR100" movement.

Alex
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
... Unfortunately my router is a bit limited regarding DNS assignments, however I have achieved the same result using its 'Parental Control' aspect and blocking the URL access in the router.

Brilliant, thanks a million Kelson 🙂 I can't edit my router's firewall or DNS, but I have now blocked update.sonos.com in Parental Controls. Works fine and makes me feel a good deal safer.

It won't protect against unintentional iPad/Phone app updates, though. So I can no longer use "Update all" but have to update every single app manually.

BAD SHOW SONOS, REALLY BAD SHOW! MAY YOU ROT IN CORPORATE PERDITION!!!

I wonder if this sad story will appear as a "How to trash your reputation overnight" chapter in future business school textbooks.