Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

I still say the best solution is to get the Dot working with local libraries before April and then offer Dots for sale on the Sonos Website so you can use the voucher to pick up a couple of them.

Yes, that would be a brilliant idea, except for those who don’t accept voice control as a substitute for the CR100. They did hand out $25 vouchers for Dots a few months back, usable on Amazon.

If Sonos would support the Alexa AudioPlayer interface, which should have been supported from October 4th, 3rd Party skills like My Media would already allow Alexa control of your local files through Sonos. I’m more than a little miffed that this is still not supported, 4 months later. It’s affecting several skills.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-support-for-alexa-audioplayer-interface-6796636
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@George H. Harlan, can you share what they did? I know that Sonos uses port 80 and 4444 for updates. However, port 80 is also internet access for other devices, so, I cannot just block that port.
Like (0) Quote

What I did was a little simplistic but comcast allows you to set parental controls for internet devices. Presumably this is to restrict your kids from seeing p**n.

I created a group, put all my players and speaker in that group then set the access for no internet and there you go. Very easy..

I remember that in my last house in MA the gateway was not as user friendly but it also had the ability to restrict devices from accessing the internet. You may need to get the MAC addresses for your devices to do so. My old school Linksys router could do the same thing, just had to fiddle with it.

If you are a Comcast customer you will probably need advanced support. I found the initial tech support doesn't understand what you need. Just keep repeating that you have devices that you need to isolate from the internet but still maintain local internet connectivity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I still say the best solution is to get the Dot working with local libraries before April and then offer Dots for sale on the Sonos Website so you can use the voucher to pick up a couple of them.

Yes, that would be a brilliant idea, except for those who don’t accept voice control as a substitute for the CR100. They did hand out $25 vouchers for Dots a few months back, usable on Amazon.

this topic became so long due to the fact that the users of the CR100 want the functionality of the CR100 that we paid for, Tactile buttons and a display to browse and select the music, a rather basic and expected capability of the Sonos system.
Voice control is not my desire, and when I purchased the product was not an option and If the product only had voice control I would have not purchased it, again, another choice I would have made.
the Dot with its limited buttons OR the only other option that Sonos has will not replace the CR100 abilities and for that matter if its only 4 or 6 blond buttons I would not even consider paying $50 for such an item.... but the item is useless for my purpose.
continuing to suggest those options as suitable replacements is also getting old.

Make it possible to "exempt" my hardware from future upgrades which would require the termination of my CR100;s and then I am kept whole, the rest I could not care about, and if I decide down the road that I want that new widget I will make the informed decision based on all details provided that I would loose my CR100's to obtain the new toy, but I would be the one making the choice.

forcing me to accept the demise of ANY of the hardware I built as long as its still physically working is just plain wrong and likely not totally legal.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I want to say a few things.
1-- We have been very fortunate to have the level of customer support from Sonos over the years. Many companies discontinue any support after some short period following the purchase. I don't know any that do so for 14 plus years.
This costs money.

2- I have to believe that this decision to not have a seperate, legacy final release has to do with some income stream we are unaware of. Forcing this change on the customer base instead of just starting over with a new line of models capable of meeting future technological requirements has to be related to that. Somehow our existing already purchased systems must be important to them in a revenue way, important enough to collect data and important enough to anger the existing base.

3. I'm not a lawyer (although I have watched Perry Mason) but I believe that if you accept the coupon in exchange for bricking your device you have by that action agreed to the companies terms.
To have a legal claim you must have injury, but once you accept the compensation offered you now have relinquished your claim. I for one will not accept the coupon, not soley for that reason, I have no desire to profit from this debacle, but simply because I find the offer insulting. I feel the company is not being forthright and honest in the reasons why they are doing this,.
They need us for some reason, and the hardware will no longer support that, and rather than leave us in peace they will drag us kicking and screaming with them because the subscription based services will give Sonos a cut. That's my belief.
I too have just had a reply from Sonos customer service as below. I wasn't actually aware of this product, does anyone currently use it?
To confirm the 100GBP voucher offered for being a loyal Sonos customer can be used to purchase the dedicated controller we currently offer on our website, the iPort xPRESS Audio Keypad. This device can be used as a dedicated controller for your Sonos system.

The iPort xPRESS is presented on the Sonos shop as "Play Sonos instantly with the press of a button — without having to take your phone out of your pocket. Install and use anywhere around the house in convenient locations like the entry into a room or on the fridge in the kitchen." Somehow, they acknowledge that the iPort device brings some functional added value to their Sonos app installed on a smartphone or a tablet. This device would be of a great interest for us if it was able to group/ungroup zones, navigate through our own music library,... Oh wait isn't it exactly the functional requirements that would lead to our CR100 device :?:?:?

I read all posts on this thread and none of the Sonos contributions are really convincing. The few answers from Sonos community managers are basically to contact individually the Sonos customer service to find the right alternative to the CR100 justifying that each case is specific. However in all the user posts I can only see a lot of commonalities!! Why then such kind of behaviour? "Diviser pour mieux régner" as we say in French?

I am personally still waiting a convincing answer why the CR100 cannot be kept alive with the basic functions play/pause, next/previous, volume/mute, group/ungroup zones, scroll our music database,... They already removed a long time ago most of the settings options. Therefore, why not remove all those internet music services (maybe keeping tunein for the radios) that seem to be the main driver why the old CR100 electronics would not be sustainable anymore.
Can sonos finally give sound justifications why such path cannot be retained for the CR100?

Cheers from Belgium

this topic became so long due to the fact that the users of the CR100 want the functionality of the CR100 that we paid for, Tactile buttons and a display to browse and select the music, a rather basic and expected capability of the Sonos system.
Voice control is not my desire, and when I purchased the product was not an option and If the product only had voice control I would have not purchased it, again, another choice I would have made.
the Dot with its limited buttons OR the only other option that Sonos has will not replace the CR100 abilities and for that matter if its only 4 or 6 blond buttons I would not even consider paying $50 for such an item.... but the item is useless for my purpose.
continuing to suggest those options as suitable replacements is also getting old.

Make it possible to "exempt" my hardware from future upgrades which would require the termination of my CR100;s and then I am kept whole, the rest I could not care about, and if I decide down the road that I want that new widget I will make the informed decision based on all details provided that I would loose my CR100's to obtain the new toy, but I would be the one making the choice.

forcing me to accept the demise of ANY of the hardware I built as long as its still physically working is just plain wrong and likely not totally legal.

I appreciate your position and I know that voice control of local libraries is not an equivalent solution but it at least ticks a few of the boxes to compensate for the loss of the CR100. I am open to any better solution but in reviewing the facts as I understand them I don't really see one.

-Sonos says they cannot deploy certain new features (likely AirPlay2) and still provide a way for the CR100 to keep working. That is not to say it cannot be done or that somebody couldn't find a way to do it but I accept that it is beyond their ability to do it.

-The CR100 has specific advantages that cannot be replicated with a tablet running the Sonos app no matter how locked down or customized it is configured to be. Amongst these are the instant availability to grab from a drop in charger and quickly mute or volume change a zone. Another is tactile buttons with fixed location and function that can easily be operated by all users including elderly family members. Another is that it is intuitive enough to be used by occasional users or guests without any real guidance or learning curve.

-Tactile remote offerings from third parties have so far proven to be too simplistic to replace the functionality of the CR100 in any meaningful way. Also their lack of display or other feedback prevents them from being intuitive and generally require you to memorize actions needed to access favorites and other features.

-Sonos is not going to create a CR100 replacement for the small number of customers still using it nor could they accomplish such a thing in any reasonable time frame even if they were inclined to do so.

-Sonos is unlikely to support a separate firmware version for use by the small population who want to freeze their systems at a CR100 compatible version since this would additionally require them to develop a different deployment strategy that lets a user select which firmware version to use. I don't think they could do this before April even if they wanted to.

-Sonos is not going to add any features to help people block updates so you can be sure your CR100 will continue to function. I don't know if this would really create any significant problems for them but they have made it clear they are not going to do that and have even highlighted some of the situations that could trigger unintended upgrades such as using your phone to control other people's systems or letting people connect to your network and access your Sonos system. (The solution to that is set up a guest network and never ever ever share the password to the secure subnet where your Sonos system resides. If you absolutely have to give guests access to Sonos let them use a cheap tablet reserved for that purpose... and make sure the Wi-Fi password is not displayed in settings. DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR WI-FI PASSWORD TO GUESTS)

-Sonos is aware of their legal position around the retirement of the CR100 and disabling kit that people have paid for and they appear confident that this is not an issue for them.

-Streaming services alone are not going to be sufficient to satisfy all music needs. Even if you listen primarily to streaming sources you likely can't afford to have enough accounts to find all the songs you want to hear and there will always be tracks no streaming service will ever carry (rare out of print CDs or the track you got from little Susie's school of her singing in the school choir). Any solution must include access to local music files.

-Voice control through Alexa does not support access to local libraries. Amazon no longer allows uploads of personal music files and does not support control of Google Play Music or any other streaming location that has a personal music upload option.

-Voice control of local libraries, while not a direct substitute for a tactile controller, does address some of the lost functionality. It is intuitive with a short learning curve. It is easy to use by elderly members of the family who do not have the eyesight or physical dexterity for touch devices. It provides some feedback even though it is by voice rather than LCD screen. It is aligned with current Sonos development strategy and complementary to voice control of streaming content.

-Amazon has provided tools to support this control strategy and are actively working to enhance and expand those tools.

-Sonos could probably (admittedly based on my limited knowledge) develop voice access to local libraries relatively quickly.

So that is kind of where I was coming from and why it keeps coming up as a proposed way forward.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
It's because of the revenue stream from the music services. Something we are not privy to. My guess is tracking subscribers, number of locations playing, commercial vs home use.

Somehow the existing hardware doesn't support this level of tracking, otherwise just adding another service on the screen is trivial.

It has to be something to generate revenue based on what streaming service is being listened to, and who is listening.

It is important to commercial music to verify license compliance. Sonos just doesn't want to be left out of the game.

Just MHO
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
So it looks to me like the plan is:

Transition over to the Xpress control from the CR100. The Xpress only supports music selection from your Favorites menu. that means only music service not local library.

Disable local library playback from the phone app and computer app. No revenue is gained from local library playback

Now Sonos is a streaming music gateway who derives a significant amount of revenue from streaming service kickbacks

That is why the CR100 has to go. The principal purpose was local library playback. Somehow that original purpose is so tightly integrated that they cannot eliminate it.

Just a guess of course.....
Lol. Devin Nunes would love to have you working for him!
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Transition over to the Xpress control from the CR100. The Xpress only supports music selection from your Favorites menu. that means only music service not local library.

Disable local library playback from the phone app and computer app. No revenue is gained from local library playback

Now Sonos is a streaming music gateway who derives a significant amount of revenue from streaming service kickbacks

That is why the CR100 has to go. The principal purpose was local library playback. Somehow that original purpose is so tightly integrated that they cannot eliminate it.

You might be right.
CR200 will probably be dropped soon.
Then maybe Sonos-Net.
Then playback of local files.
This would all be fine it was introduced on a new hardware platform. But removing functionality from an old platform is really bad behaviour.

Xpress is like 1995 compared to CR100 so "development" can not be a real explanation. A couple of stupid buttons, like they had on remot controls for TV in the eighties.

Well, maybe time for us who are more into our own music collection (with a LOT of music not online) than streaming to start looking for another solution.

You might be right.
CR200 will probably be dropped soon.
Then maybe Sonos-Net.
Then playback of local files.
This would all be fine it was introduced on a new hardware platform. But removing functionality from an old platform is really bad behaviour.

Xpress is like 1995 compared to CR100 so "development" can not be a real explanation. A couple of stupid buttons, like they had on remot controls for TV in the eighties.

Well, maybe time for us who are more into our own music collection (with a LOT of music not online) than streaming to start looking for another solution.
Never have I read such utter tripe on here or anywhere else.
Let's do a contest where everybody guesses the retirement date for each of the following and we'll see who gets the most right:

CR200
Dock
ZP80
ZP100
SonosNet
Play5 Gen1
Local Library Support
Play3
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Actually I like the Xpress for what it does. I have controllers in places I just need some simple local control. One regret I have is that I won't be able to add them to my walled off system later. This is forcing me to consider actually buying some before April. I don't want to give them more money when I'm upset with them. GRRR!!!

I haven't given up hope yet. You can bet every state AG will be looking at this...
At least you might be offered better terms.

If Sonos is successful then they demonstrate that they can disable function for some token fee.

In any event > wall off your system. Prevent the update from being installed.
Your system will be capped, but at least everything that you bought will stay working in the state you have it.
There won't be enough of us left to amount to much in the long run. We are just casualties not the focus.

Don't accept the coupon
Hold onto your controllers, they might be worth more than $100/N. if a challenge were to be successful.
Of course a bird in the hand is worth two or ten in the bush. LOL

I'm afraid your guess could not be more incorrect. It has been stated dozens of times that Sonos receives no kickback or any other revenue stream from music services. Their Music Partners program is free and open to everyone at no charge. So stop with the "derives a significant amount of revenue from streaming service kickbacks" nonsense.

Here are the plainly stated requirements to become a Music Partner with Sonos:

Who can play: Any music service, anywhere in the world.
In a nutshell: It’s easy to integrate using the Sonos Music API – and it’s free!
How it works: Do it all online, in 3 easy steps:

Register as a Sonos Music Partner.
Access the Sonos Music API, Technical Documentation & Tools Suite.
Develop & Submit to Sonos for Review.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That's today, not tomorrow.
What is the point of all this otherwise?
It would be trivially simple to keep systems at their given functionality?
Why not let use4rs determine for themselves what revision level suits them best.

I for one would roll back my system to 2005 if I could. I have never had an update that increased my pleasure of using the system. Each update has if not been neutral has resulted in loss of function.

All these users want is to be able to keep the their systems functional for their purpose.

Why else would the company force upgrades and system inventories and the whole "registration or get bricked process" on them.

What was the point of that? It was to assert control over the equipment you sold them. you had a check block in the settings (which by the way I had checked) that allowed voluntary usage feedback to help Sonos improve their customer experience.

Please spare me the "We just want to give you the best experience" so we are going to force you to comply.

I wasn't born yesterday. You did it for a reason. the same as this.
This thread has passed into tin foil hat territory. I knew I should have stayed out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Says the mind reading squidman from Venus!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Yes, about tinfoil hat territory!

"I have never had an update that increased my pleasure of using the system" Sure, de gustibus non est disputandum, but from my perspective that statement is pretty crazy. When we first ordered a Sonos in 2006, all it could play was our burned CDs, clunky internet radio, and line-in. Which was enough to justify the cost, but it was not that much. By the time our Sonos gear was delivered, it had gained a new feature, one online music service (Rhapsody, I think). This was a great unexpected bonus over what we ordered, and the bonuses kept accruing - more supported online music services, new types of players at better prices, the free smartphone controller, the Dock for your iPod, the ability to play the music on your iPhone without the Dock, better internet radio through TuneIn. All provided via software updates, and, totally surprisingly for the tech industry, at no extra charge.

And so we kept buying Sonos boxes, and recommending Sonos to our friends who bought it..

We are very disappointed at the impending end of the CR100, which is still way better than the app for some things (kids, for one), and we will keep using it on a daily basis until its last day, and we may extend that day by not updating our software for a month or so. But its end 1) is not unexpected - it has been losing functionality compared to the app over the years, and 2) does not wreck all that Sonos has done.

Also, what other pre-iPhone electronics from 2005 do you still use? A Palm Pilot? A Blackberry? (well yes, but because I am employed by a technologically backward organization, the US government), A Flip video camera or pedometer or pocket digital camera (well yes, but not one from 2005) or flip-phone or iPod or Zune? The CR100 seems unique in having lasted, and remained supported, through today.

All this is to say - I entirely share and sympathize with the underlying point of this discussion, but it has gone far off the rails in terms of reasonable expectations and reactions.

Also, what other pre-iPhone electronics from 2005 do you still use?

An Empire 398 turntable from 1962, a Mcintosh MAC-1700 receiver from 1969, ... But, they have definitely not added any new features over the years, lol.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
By the time our Sonos gear was delivered, it had gained a new feature, one online music service (Rhapsody, I think). This was a great unexpected bonus over what we ordered, and the bonuses kept accruing - more supported online music services, new types of players at better prices, the free smartphone controller, the Dock for your iPod, the ability to play the music on your iPhone without the Dock, better internet radio through TuneIn. All provided via software updates, and, totally surprisingly for the tech industry, at no extra charge.

I didn't buy the system for any of those features and don't use a single one except for the phone app and that was just for the novelty. Why should I have been required to update then or now to keep my system operational? Forget the support, that I understand, just don't brick it or allow it to be bricked.

All anyone is asking is to be not "upgraded" if someone comes with some smartphone and tries to use the app. Just put a checkbox in the desktop controller that says legacy only.

Everyone else thinks these streaming services are the way to go, well good for you. Enjoy them.

I agree with prior posters, it would be easy to just maintain local library and basic audio functions on the CR100. I also agree Sonos has absolutely no obligation to do so.

Anyway I'm completely walled off now, I'm adding a used ZP90 for a spare player and a ZP100 for my patio. Next I'm going to buy a few of those Xpress buttons, new phones, install everything and that should be it.

Sonos says just don't update. I'm just going to make sure. Severing the system from connecting to the internet seems to be the only way. If it updates after that without my permission then Sonos is just being malicious.

I'm just glad these guys aren't making cars, I might have bought one...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Oh, and to add to what Chicks said:
Seven Carver amps,two integrated
Two Velodyne subs
Some Adcom stuff for a spare.

My 2005 Audi. Only 75,000 miles runs perfectly. Hope Audi doesn't brick that when THEY roll out transportation as a service.

I've had to re-cap some of the Carvers, expect to complete that next year. But then again I've had to do that to my seven ZP80's also although they were defective by design. The Carvers survived more that 40 years.

Tires and oil for the Audi...
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Also, what other pre-iPhone electronics from 2005 do you still use? .

Well let me see, my daughter was born that year so anything that pre-dates her:
Dualit toaster (circa 2000)
Toyota LandCruiser Amazon (2001)
VW Phaeton (2005)
Honda Accord (2001) (all three cars have working SatNavs)
iPod nano (Gen1 - not sure on date) - mainly for running
Denon AV Amp
Denon FM Tuner - line-in to Sonos for radio to save bandwidth and deliver higher quality
Terastation II NAS drive (*2 paired for back-up)
FM radio in garage (make unknown but probably late 80s)
FM radio in stables (make unknown but its grey so probably Sony, possibly mid-80s)
FM radio in workshop (think it could be a Pioneer, got at university so 1994)
Senheiser Headphones (2005)
Samsung TV in kitchen
Dishwasher (yes it is that old)
Desk Calculator
Probably got a couple of network switches that old
Karcher Pressure Washer
Bathroom Scales (2001) - wedding present

There could be more but I see your point. I have racked my brain and I can't think of a single device that I have owned where the manufacturer has said they will issue an instruction that will immediately render it obsolete. That includes software and hardware. Sure they withdrew support, sure they didn't add new features to stuff, sure they brought out new models to tempt you to replace stuff (except Nokia & RIM ;-)).

But no, I cannot think of a single system that has been bricked on purpose.

Also, what other pre-iPhone electronics from 2005 do you still use? .

Well let me see, my daughter was born that year so anything that pre-dates her:
Dualit toaster (circa 2000)
Toyota LandCruiser Amazon (2001)
VW Phaeton (2005)
Honda Accord (2001) (all three cars have working SatNavs)
iPod nano (Gen1 - not sure on date) - mainly for running
Denon AV Amp
Denon FM Tuner - line-in to Sonos for radio to save bandwidth and deliver higher quality
Terastation II NAS drive (*2 paired for back-up)
FM radio in garage (make unknown but probably late 80s)
FM radio in stables (make unknown but its grey so probably Sony, possibly mid-80s)
FM radio in workshop (think it could be a Pioneer, got at university so 1994)
Senheiser Headphones (2005)
Samsung TV in kitchen
Dishwasher (yes it is that old)
Desk Calculator
Probably got a couple of network switches that old
Karcher Pressure Washer
Bathroom Scales (2001) - wedding present

There could be more but I see your point. I have racked my brain and I can't think of a single device that I have owned where the manufacturer has said they will issue an instruction that will immediately render it obsolete. That includes software and hardware. Sure they withdrew support, sure they didn't add new features to stuff, sure they brought out new models to tempt you to replace stuff (except Nokia & RIM ;-)).

But no, I cannot think of a single system that has been bricked on purpose.
Leaving aside the fact that many of your items are electrical goods not electronics, you ignore one huge difference between the CR100 and everything in your list. The CR100 is just a part of an integrated system that has evolved enormously already since it was designed and will evolve hugely in the future. Sonos are not arbitrarily shutting down the CR100, they are saying that it just cannot cope with even the system developments Sonos know are coming. I don't mean that it cannot just cope with new features, I mean it cannot cope with the system.

A viable free alternative is available and the system as a whole does far more than when any of us bought in.

And if you wish to use the system as it is now, with the CR100, then don't update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh come on I have a Honda Accord 2005 and I would hardly call the Sat Nav functional. Many times I appear to be driving across a field or lake!

Merely for a bit of balance, here are a few tings that now no longer work in our house.
  • HP Laptop running (or should that be crawling) Windows Vista
  • Bamboo Tablet
  • Polar HRM, does not work with Windows 10
  • All my Sony Clie 2005
  • Nokia N9 phone 2010
  • Nokia N900 phone 2009
  • Jolla Sailfish Phone 2013!
  • Nintendo Wii Online services 2006
  • 3xAndroid tablets all post 2005, no Android Updates available and all useful apps no longer working
  • Smeg Cooker 2004 - control panel blown and replacements no longer available .
  • All our old TVs from 2012 when analogue turned off.
  • 2x iPad 2, yes they switch on, but apps unusable and battery life measured in minutes and seconds.
  • Sky Plus boxes x3
  • All Windows Phones, in fact all phones older than 5 yrs.

Many of the above will switch on, and some even functional in a limited fashion but they are no longer practical to use.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have just received confirmation that one voucher is to be offered for each CR100 owned and have received my voucher code.