Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
  • Enthusiast II
  • 325 replies
Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household.

My ONE YEAR OLD can play his favourite music by just pushing the button over and over again. My 7 year old will now PESTER ME CONSTANTLY to use my phone whenever he wants to listen to Harry Potter (which is ALL THE TIME)

My parents in law - NEITHER OF WHOM OWN SMARTPHONES will now have to go downstairs and switch on their PC in order to listen to the audiobooks and radio programmes I've given them. They don't use all these 'services', but Sonos is amazing so we built it for them, at great cost for the convenience of having the controller.

My wife won't be able to roll over in bed and hit the volume without blinding us all with your WHITE app in the middle of the night (swipe tap tap tap vs reach and push a button?????)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SONOS!!!!!

My Children and in-laws are going to HATE me for this.

DO NOT criticise our choices not to use smartphones, or Alexa, or Spotify. Why should we buy new things to make your system work?

PLEASE don't take away the ability to connect we are happy with basic controls?

What am I going to do now? Tell me WHAT?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 February 2018, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I don't own a CR100 but this does affect my trust of Sonos' long history of supporting their products. Should I stop buying Play:1s now? How long until they brick those too?

I *do* own 3 original vintage ZP80's and 1 original vintage ZP100 - all the same age as my CR100's - all were purchased at the same time in a bundle deal. The price of all those 7 units was in the region of £350 each... which represents a cost to me of approximately £2500. As of right now, they all still work perfectly, which is testament to the quality of the kit... I'm now worried that they are going to be next... which is a scary prospect... my confidence in SONOS as a brand, and as company that can be relied upon to do the right thing, has been shaken to the very core. Not that I was realistically planning to, (although I have long agonised about getting a SUB) I am absolutely NOT going to purchase any more Sonos kit from this point forwards, as I just can't have the confidence that it will still work in 10-12 years time....

They should support these controllers for another 5 years until voice control is the norm and has had a chance to mature.

They don't need to actively 'support' them, they just need to not actively kill them... if a CR100 on a sonos network is incompatible with planned future features or software updates, then we should have the option to opt out of such updates until such time as WE decide otherwise. We all are capable of making a value judgement of "new feature X" against "loss of old feature Y"
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
My prediction is the CR-100 is not going to saved. I doubt there is anyone at Sonos who knows that platform anymore from both a hardware and software perspective. I doubt Sonos could muster up a new software build as the human knowledge base that made that happen is most likely no longer employed by Sonos.

But isn't part of the point that they don't *have to do anything*??? - they work NOW, with the current software, including the latest update which I have applied literally just in the last few days... there is no technical reason that has to change! - I'm certainly not advocating, - and neither to my knowledge is anyone else here, that Sonos therefore have to stop innovating, to stop improving the system, adding new features, or updating the software... all of that can go on regardless...

All that needs to happen to make this whole ludicrous situation go away, is that end users are given the option to opt out of future updates!

My Sonos system, as it exists right now, meets all my requirements as they exist today. As of right now, I neither need, nor want any new features or bells & whistles... of course there's the "you don't miss it if you never had it" argument... I get that, but I don't get why I should be forced to throw a significant and expensive part of my investment in the trash today, based on some flavour of "jam tomorrow" that I may or may not want if & when it becomes available... - that is a choice, that I, as the customer should be able to make when the "jam" is released, & I can decide then if I want it enough to render £1000 worth of kit into paperweights.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I still haven't seen anyone state when the CR100 was last on sale. When was it obsoleted -- i.e., what's the minimum age of these devices?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey Sonos,
I have 5 or 6 of the CR100's and use them with along with my (single) smartphone. I have absolutely NO desire to go to "Voice Control" and find that the CR100's ability to be in the Bedroom at night or in the Garage/Barn and Pool Shed makes it really simple to manage and control all the zone players, Play1's and Play5's all across my home and 2 barns. (total of 10+ players and a couple bridges to date )
I could never understand the decision to drop the CR100 and force everyone to move to a touch screen device as NONE of them were as convenient as the CR100
I do not find it "simple" to use my smartphone and your APP. , and would never just hand my Smartphone to a guest or a child to allow them to play with the Sonos system.
In the dark while half asleep I can manage the CR100 without opening my eyes, you will never do that with a touchscreen.
I do not care if "new features" and "voice control" works with the system, I want the hardware I purchased, and spent quite a bit of money on, to work until I decide I am done with it, Unless you are going to send me CR200's to replace all my CR100's (which would still force me to open my eyes) I do not believe you should simply "decide" for all of us that these units are no longer any good! I do not believe in making my tablets and phones the "default" controller for this audio gear.
as a component level tech in electronics I have had no issues replacing the batteries and repairing these units, and with online information out there for everyone I do not believe anyone has any issues replacing the batteries, so please, do not use the batteries as an excuse for killing off a product you no longer want to support. nice try.
Sonos IS the best multi-room system of its type, this decision is not going to improve your "thumbs up" status any.

I would rather stop receiving all further updates on these devices and at the same time STOP buying any additional Sonos gear if there is no other fix to this issue.
How about giving your customers, the owners of this hardware and the people that spent their money on this gear the option to keep the remotes going?

Taking the ability to easily control the units will become a reason to drop the product and move on.
Sorry to see your notice of this decision, I do not agree with it, and believe you just made your product less user friendly.
Userlevel 3
Badge
My prediction is the CR-100 is not going to saved. I doubt there is anyone at Sonos who knows that platform anymore from both a hardware and software perspective. I doubt Sonos could muster up a new software build as the human knowledge base that made that happen is most likely no longer employed by Sonos.

But isn't part of the point that they don't *have to do anything*??? - they work NOW, with the current software, including the latest update which I have applied literally just in the last few days... there is no technical reason that has to change! - I'm certainly not advocating, - and neither to my knowledge is anyone else here, that Sonos therefore have to stop innovating, to stop improving the system, adding new features, or updating the software... all of that can go on regardless...

All that needs to happen to make this whole ludicrous situation go away, is that end users are given the option to opt out of future updates!

My Sonos system, as it exists right now, meets all my requirements as they exist today. As of right now, I neither need, nor want any new features or bells & whistles... of course there's the "you don't miss it if you never had it" argument... I get that, but I don't get why I should be forced to throw a significant and expensive part of my investment in the trash today, based on some flavour of "jam tomorrow" that I may or may not want if & when it becomes available... - that is a choice, that I, as the customer should be able to make when the "jam" is released, & I can decide then if I want it enough to render £1000 worth of kit into paperweights.

We honestly do not know. Keep in mind that these older controller do have to "get onto the network". If that mechanism is changing for product enhancement they may not be able to update the controller with the reason I mentioned as a possibility.
Userlevel 3
Badge
..Unless you are going to send me CR200's to replace all my CR100's (which would still force me to open my eyes) I do not believe you should simply "decide" for all of us that these units are no longer any good! I do not believe in making my tablets and phones the "default" controller for this audio gear.

CR-200's are not made anymore and once inventory is exhausted for warranty purposes they will probably kill it too.
If you don’t like voice control, get one of these: https://iportproducts.com/xpress/#xpress-intro
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
the CR100 (AFAIK and understand) uses the private Sonos Mesh Network to communicate with the zone players, so even if you took an older ZP and configured it to use the Wi-Fi Network instead of the Mesh Network, the CR100 could still only connect to a ZP directly thru the Mesh Network to join the Sonos network.
this is likely Sonos's desire to kill off the Mesh Network or going forward the new devices will not connect or support the mesh network,
to date, they have not (or cannot) get the CR100 to connect directly to your Wi-Fi Network.
(I believe the CR200 CAN connect to the Wi-Fi network directly, if they cannot, then I would have to ask Why the CR200 has also not been dropped? )

from what I can surmise, this is likely the technical reason to kill off the CR100, but they are taking from me something I value and really do not want to lose. the offer of $100 off another purchase is useless, at this point I would not purchase any more of this product.
Userlevel 2
Badge
PLEASE don't kill the CR100, how about offering it as an unsupported device going forward that does not receive updates??
Userlevel 1
Can't believe that E-Mai! I payed money for the device and they want to shut it down, by installing an update! I really don't need that! There is no technical reason why I should not further use the controller - the controller does only need to interact with the players and not with outside of my home. Imagine you bought a car and the manufacturer stops it from driving, just because they want to sell a new one! SONOS completely sucks!
Userlevel 1
How can that stupid updates from SONOS beeing stopped? Don't even know for what they are good, my SONOS plays music the same like it was doing 10 years ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We honestly do not know. Keep in mind that these older controller do have to "get onto the network". If that mechanism is changing for product enhancement they may not be able to update the controller with the reason I mentioned as a possibility.

Look, if someone from SONOS wants to come on here, & explain to us the technical reason why CR100's cannot continue to join the network, then I'm perfectly prepared to listen with an open mind. but the evidence *just doesn't support that assertion*

As I'm kinda getting tired of repeating: they work now, today, with the current software... - if MY SONOS system were to be frozen in time as it is right now, I can conceive of no technical reason why that would have any impact on any other SONOS customer or any of SONOS's future plans. If I disconnected from the web 5 years ago & never applied a single update, it would continue operating indefinitely until hardware failure.... The only reason I have constantly applied updates over the years is because SONOS has pretty much forced me to... I only even knew updates existed because the components either call home, or SONOS pushed them out, but the mechanism always relied upon the internet... - no internet connection = no software updates (and no complaints about not updating, because the units wouldn't even know)...
How is that situation any different from if I were to disconnect my entire sonos system from the internet now, tonight.. - set up a firewall that isolated them completely? - they talk to no-one & nothing outside my local LAN... - what do they do then? - will the CR100's still die? - that would imply that they've already sneaked in a kill-switch into the software before I was forewarned not to upgrade, so it may be too late for me? - and perhaps that's why this announcement has come with such short notice - perhaps they already know that most/all CR100s still out there in use already have their kill-switch in their DNA??

So, by logical extension, if I don't upgrade my software beyond a version where everything works, then everything should continue to work. Ergo, they don't *have* to kill them, just let me not update any more until such time as I'm ready to...

It really isn't too much to ask....
Userlevel 1
I love these Controllers. I know they are dated Sonos but can you please keep the controllers working with the upgrades you have planned. If I have to sign a disclaimer so I cant sue you if my battery blows up then fine. I do not want to use the App on my smartphone, so just pick up the controller its so easy. Please reconsider this,
Userlevel 2
Badge
The CR100 is the heart of my sonos system 😞
Userlevel 1
Hello,
I just started the petition "Patrick Spence CEO Sonos: Stop Sonos from disabling the CR100 Controller From Their System" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.
My goal is to reach 100 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://chn.ge/2EsXmwG

Thanks!
John

this is likely Sonos's desire to kill off the Mesh Network or going forward the new devices will not connect or support the mesh network,
to date, they have not (or cannot) get the CR100 to connect directly to your Wi-Fi Network.

Ridiculous. SonosNet is one of their biggest advantages vs the competition. It’s not going anywhere.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So, by logical extension, if I don't upgrade my software beyond a version where everything works, then everything should continue to work. Ergo, they don't *have* to kill them, just let me not update any more until such time as I'm ready to...

It really isn't too much to ask....

Fully agree!! Sonos can we please have one more upgrade that contains the following two items;
1) An option to opt out of any further software updates/upgrades. (unless serious security gaps are discovered)
2) A privacy option ( like in Apple IOS and macOS ) to opt out of any data fed back to Sonos.

You'll keep a significant portion of your customer base happy.
Userlevel 1
Oh SONOS, i cannot believe how low you value you customers. Stating that „old batteries are dangerous“ as a justification to simply switch off thousands of devices and render them useless? Seriously? At a time where eg. Apple is taking hits for allegedly making old IPhones slower. So, SONOS, guess what, Apple has not threatened to turn of my old IPad 1 or my IPhone 3GS off once and for good... I don‘t know if anyone from SONOS actually monitors these forums, but I think that especially in this day and age of discussions about „planned obsolescence“ of older devices this just makes SONOS looks so so bad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ridiculous. SonosNet is one of their biggest advantages vs the competition. It’s not going anywhere.

I was just thinking out loud here, if that was not a valid reason for Sonos to kill the CR100, then what is?
I agree, the SonosNet was a huge plus to keep the units synchronized but the shift to allow users to select their own Wi-Fi could suggest that so long as the users Wi-Fi is fast enough they could do it. (this is exactly why some others failed)
Using the Battery as an excuse is not valid.
Sonos COULD try to explain it to us. I would love to hear a valid technical reason why they are making the choice for me to no longer use something I paid for.
It is likely they also know exactly how many CR200's are still in use as these systems all report back home, so I am sure they are aware there would be a load of complaints.
Userlevel 3
Badge
First piece of tech press coverage resulting from my email efforts this afternoon... 🆒

http://www.techradar.com/news/sonos-finally-kills-off-cr100-controller-and-long-time-fans-arent-happy

A more hard-hitting report is up on this Dutch site:

https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/26391/Sonos-CR100-R.I.P-vanaf-april-2018,-bedankt-voor-de-trouwe-dienst.html

English machine translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifi.nl%2Fartikel%2F26391%2FSonos-CR100-R.I.P-vanaf-april-2018%2C-bedankt-voor-de-trouwe-dienst.html

"In fact Sonos lays a fundamental issue on the table. Hardware builders who are connected to the internet can read their hardware from a distance, manipulate it and thus also expand it. The user can not legally oppose, because the user has given consent to the maker of his hardware by accepting user conditions. Probably also for switching off. We did not check that. The lawyers of Sonos have certainly thought about it. The Marketing & Customer-friendliness department of Sonos clearly does not. Hopefully, car manufacturers will not get the idea to turn off their cars after ten years because the hardware would be outdated....We still have to thank the CR100 for its many years of loyal and reliable service. We can use it for about two months and we will miss it afterwards. It feels weird, a bit like the funeral of a healthy and still living person is planned."
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hello,
I just started the petition "Patrick Spence CEO Sonos: Stop Sonos from disabling the CR100 Controller From Their System" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.
My goal is to reach 100 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://chn.ge/2EsXmwG

Signed!!!!
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. I will try to correct:

1) Sonos never "pushes" any update. However, they do require all devices and controllers to be on the same version for full compatibility. The misnomer about "pushed" updates comes from the fact some people have their mobile devices set to auto-update apps, which causes the need to then update the hardware.

2) You most certainly can freeze your Sonos at a given version. Turn off the above mentioned auto-updating on your mobile devices and turn off update notifications in the Sonos app.

3) Freezing a Sonos system at a certain version does not mean it will continue to work ad infinitum. Security issues change, streaming protocols change, and you cannot ever add any new hardware. Eventually, your system may cease operating, and at the very least will lose functionality as the services and infrastructure pass you by. This is the trade off for freezing a system.

I was just thinking out loud here, if that was not a valid reason for Sonos to kill the CR100, then what is?

Most likely to save precious RAM space on existing speakers and nodes so that new features, like Google Assistant and Airplay 2 can be added. Removing code required on them to support a 10+ year old peripheral. Which hopefully means one of these will be available mid-April.

Also a possibility that they aren’t secure, something that is getting much more problematic with all sorts of WiFi devices in the home.

Does anyone really miss the old parallel and serial ports on your PC? They’re long gone, because they’re obsolete, just like the CR100.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

2) You most certainly can freeze your Sonos at a given version. Turn off the above mentioned auto-updating on your mobile devices and turn off update notifications in the Sonos app.

The question remains that even if one does manage to "freeze" the system from looking for and installing updates, will this still prevent Sonos from disabling the use of a CR100 on it, e.g. are they using a kill switch and if so has this already been installed.
Userlevel 1
How can it be safely freezed?

See where I'm going with this? - none of those aforementioned devices are still supported by their manufacturers, and won't get repaired if/when they die, but until such time as that happens they will continue to work in whatever capacity is afforded by their hardware

Unfortunately that's software vs hardware. Hardware is static, you buy a product and it will have that same hardware for the next coming years. The software on it though gets updates and updates and updates. Eventually the software will outdate the hardware. That's not Sonos limited, that's pretty much every hardware company that has devices that predate 2010

But it should always possible to decline software upgrades that bricks (part) of the system. I'm happy to freeze my current system with the current software and keep the CR100 running with what I have. I don't need any new functions in the software from Sonos!!