Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
2) Are these able to be used concurrently eg 4x$100 coupons = $400 coupon or just 4 discount vouchers that must be used separately? eg could a valued customer with get something they want with the vouchers or just a discount on 4 things they have little need of?

Certainly the one I received in the uk was used against one purchase
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
[...] More positively the updates URLs have been blocked at their end through their account management interface. That's good news as I can add more URLs if necessary and I had been concerned a new router (they've already replaced 2) would be immediately vulnerable. My CR100s can't update! :D
The CR100s won't update anyway, they will remain on firmware v4.3.2. The pending update v8.5 refers to the speakers, and I think afterwards the CR100 will not be able to identify/recognize the units any longer.

Good point. At least in terms of "belt and braces" I am less vulnerable than before.

Thankfully I have 2 sets of Sonos speakers that are absolutely future-proofed - some SP100s which I didn't realise are also magnetically shielded. Should have kept my CRT TV and gone retro - no need for a Playbar or Playbase as it had its own subwoofer .:D

So I spent last night cross-checking the IP addresses of 20 devices shown in the "About my Sonos system" with those that my router was declaring. The router had a couple of extra ones "SonosZB" and "SonsCR". Within the router's "Port Management" option I set "Port Mapping" rules (TCP for 4444 local and public) for each of the IP addresses until when it came to apply an error message suggested I couldn't have duplicates.

I've previously stated that I'm happier for my newer "black" kit to continue with updates, so faced with a dilemma on which IP address to test, I rewired my system so that the only my black Playbase connects physically to the router and chose its IP address as the one associated with the Port Mapping rule/switch. I'll find out soon enough if it protects the Playbase i.e. whether its a rule turned off or switch as the ISP was unable to tell me! In the meantime I might turn off all my "white" Sonos just in case.

One thing I have noticed is that the first line in the "About my Sonos system" pop-up shows the IP address of the "Associated ZP". This turns out to be an ex-demo unit I bought from my supplier (SS/SS&V) in my first tranche, so will have been at the then current version whereas my virgin kit may have been on a previous one or taken longer to associate with the mothership at the first request. I'm just wondering whether this is the better candidate for protection (if indeed the port mapping rules give that). I might just leave that on as my sacrificial "white" piece since it's only running some nasty speakers in the garage so I don't upset the neighbours with full-range sound.

Meanwhile the prospect of compensation per CR100 looks promising. I just wish I hadn't discarded the original boxes for 2 originals now gracing some eco-hellhole. The boxes were burned when I moved house before Christmas and I'm sure they had serial numbers on them. Glass half full or half empty? I never know which way round it is. :)

Thanks for sharing the bumpy ride folks. 99% of my forum life here has been on this thread and it's opened my eyes to how knowledgeable and helpful 98% of members are.

Cheers.

Jeeves
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Just realised SonosZB is a bridge and would be an even better device to sacrifice due to its relative cost/value. The "Associated ZP" in "About..." changed dynamically as the "white" kit was turned off. Waiting for the inevitable update now to see the fallout...
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Folks,

Finally a reply from Patrick Spence.

I haven't replied yet, I'm on my way in to the office, but will write a brief reply back this afternoon.

As least the formal offer of one voucher per controller has been made, so get those applications in

We recognize the early investment you made in these devices, so in direct response to your feedback, we have been extending the $100 coupon to all CR100 devices you own. Please contact our customer care team to make the request if you have not done so already.

OK, so some worthwhile progress at least... I've just submitted a case to customer support to ask precisely how I should go about requesting multiple coupons. Hopefully I'll hear back something useful soon (more useful than "What, we don't know anything about this offer?")...

Assuming that goes to plan, I'll have a coupon per CR100, each worth pretty much the same as an iPort Express keypad, which, being the only thing I can use it for that comes even close to being a replacement controller, is potentially what I'm going to go for... (I'll likely explore tablet options too, but the research for that will take way longer, and the combination of a tablet - for the display, plus an iPort - for the dedicated hard buttons for basic functions - just may come close enough)

However, I'm not convinced - until I try them - that I'm going to be satisfied with them, and so I'm going to want to run them in parallel for a while until I can decide if I can switch to them, or if I'd rather stay locked-down with my CR100s...

So, - question for anyone who has an iPort Express... - Are they version agnostic? - do they force an upgrade to the latest version in order to be included in the system, or are they like other 3rd-party control apps, quite happy to join my 8.3 system?

Also a question for anyone who's already "recycled" their CR100 - you provide Sonos with the serial number in return for the voucher... - do they take any measures thereafter to "lock out" those serial-numbered controllers? - in other words, is it possible to provide the serial numbers, receive the voucher, but then to continue to use the CR100 for a period of time sufficient to make the transition? - heck, there will be a time delay between registering the serial number, then receiving the coupon(s), and then deciding for sure what to spend them on, and then actually receiving the new kit.. - I can easily imagine it might be 2-3 weeks before I were to actually have the iPorts (assuming that is what I go for) in my hands.. - I could not possibly go without either controller option for that waiting period, and like I said, I really want to not burn my bridges and allow for the possibility of deciding to stick with the CR100s if I (or more importantly the rest of the family) don't get on with the iPorts... - in which case the iPorts would likely go on eBay to fund some other tablet option...

Either way, I'm still going to end up out of pocket, as, - experience of them notwithstanding - I don't envisage that the iPorts are going to be enough on their own, and I'm still going to need to purchase 3 tablets, 3 cradles, etc....
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We weren’t as clear up front as we could have been around the fact that a customer can choose to stay on the existing software and forgo new updates if they want to continue to use their CR100(s). Of course the downside is you won’t get to enjoy the new features or add new products. I wanted to be sure everyone is clear it’s their choice whether to upgrade the software or not.
We’ll continue to add and share more in the community to help people with options that may address some of the valid concerns people have in making the transition.

Patrick Spence

@johngolfuk : In your response to Patrick can you please ask the following:

1. Can we please be advised what specifically we need to block in our routers to prevent updates while still maintaining Sonos access to the internet, e.g. for streaming music services.

2. Is it possible to implement the above, i.e. maintaining internet access, but still prevent the Sonos system hardware from detecting that updates are available and prompting for them to be installed?

3. A knowledgebase article providing the above information would be very useful.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask?_ga) and let them know what you think.

465 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done BEFORE TOMORROW(???), i.e. when the 8.5 software/firmware update is anticipated to be rolled out). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index86.html#post16220262
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Folks,

I haven't replied yet, I'm on my way in to the office, but will write a brief reply back this afternoon.

As least the formal offer of one voucher per controller has been made, so get those applications in

Full content below:
-----------------------------
Dear John,

Many thanks to you, and to all of our passionate customers that have taken the time to share feedback with me directly via email and in our community. The feedback/discussion in our community is something that all of us here pay close attention to. It illustrates a level of passion and engagement for Sonos that mirrors the level of passion that the team and I have for building, and making better every day, the Sonos experience.

We agree with the benefits of the CR100 that everyone has outlined. Many of them are the same reasons we introduced it back in 2005, and certainly why we’ve worked so hard to extend the life of the product as long as we have. It’s a product that we are very proud of.

Arriving at the conclusion that the CR100 could no longer be supported as part of the system is not something we took lightly. Hardware this old has real limitations that we’re no longer able to solve for without compromising the rest of the experience. By consumer electronics standards, the CR100 is essentially a 10-generation old mini-computer, and it is not sustainable or scalable for us to keep it going – or even for us to keep supporting it via a legacy build, as you proposed (as it’s something we contemplated).

It is our commitment to you, our customers, that we will always strive for the best possible experience for the system. Continuing to keep the CR100 in the mix would come at a negative impact to the Sonos system overall as we look ahead, which is a reality independent of the state of the battery in your device.

We weren’t as clear up front as we could have been around the fact that a customer can choose to stay on the existing software and forgo new updates if they want to continue to use their CR100(s). Of course the downside is you won’t get to enjoy the new features or add new products. I wanted to be sure everyone is clear it’s their choice whether to upgrade the software or not.

We recognize the early investment you made in these devices, so in direct response to your feedback, we have been extending the $100 coupon to all CR100 devices you own. Please contact our customer care team to make the request if you have not done so already.

Additionally we have resources for alternatives to address some of the concerns outlined in moving to another controller. Here’s one to start.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3241?_ga=2.110335747.727596262.1523297296-281356077.1521237538

We’ll continue to add and share more in the community to help people with options that may address some of the valid concerns people have in making the transition.

I appreciate your feedback and passion on this. We’re here if you have any additional questions or need support. And, as always, this email is available if there’s anything else I can do to help.

Best Regards,

Patrick

______

Patrick Spence

Sonos | Chief Executive Officer | patrick.spence@sonos.com

O: +1 xxx xxx xxxx | Twitter: @patrick_spence

My take on this reply is much the same as the past 2 months.

We already know the FUD and FEAR attempts of Sonos to get everyone to willingly abandon their CR100s did not give them the result they hoped for. While no one has yet felt the results of Sonos disowning the original controller by upgrading everything else around it to no longer communicate, this is coming and only then will we know how the older Sonos owners really feel.

the CPUs and "Hardware this old has real limitations " and "the CR100 is essentially a 10-generation old mini-computer, and it is not sustainable or scalable for us to keep it going " lines are funny, as I have proven the hardware is the same as the ZP100 and likely ZP80, which will be a real problem if they are also intending to kill them off anytime soon I imagine.

What they are really doing is ignoring those of us that LIKE the systems as they are now (or really a year ago) and have no desire to move to the "new" Sonos Experience. as shown in the line "without compromising the rest of the experience" they are not listening to those of us that actually WANT To stay where we are and not be part of the "new Experience"

and last, "and it is not sustainable or scalable for us to keep it going – or even for us to keep supporting it via a legacy build, as you proposed (as it’s something we contemplated)."
I cry foul on this one and a flat out lie. They COULD certainly allow those of us that wanted to the ability to stay put in a legacy build BUT THEY CHOOSE NOT TO. (the fact a Beta program Exists proves it)
simple as that.
they do not want to spend the capital on a fork in the road, and they are ignoring the early adopters as they move forward.
the early ZP's must be next to go if I am take his comment on the "10-generation mini-computer" for its face value, and they truly want everyone to accept the short-lifespan of this gear and replace it as they deem necessary.

not a good response in my eyes, and its Sonos that will turn their own users away from them as they ignore their desires to take a rest from "progress" and enjoy the music instead.

I will remain walled off, no longer able to purchase any more product and will run this gear until I deem its time (likely due to the services Failing due to lack of Sonos Support)
all that can be said, has been, Sonos has been outed in this very poor attempt to simply kill off a unit they no longer care to, or have the talent to support, and has failed to recognize that for many of us, the "Sonos experience" has shifted to something we did not originally buy into, and we are offended that we have been given Zero options to officially stay where we are and continue to use the actual hardware "Sonos Experience" we bought into.

Unless something changes I will not consider myself a "Sonos Customer", just a user, for the time being.
I did not abandon Sonos, Sonos abandoned me!

sad......
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

What they are really doing is ignoring those of us that LIKE the systems as they are now (or really a year ago) and have no desire to move to the "new" Sonos Experience. as shown in the line "without compromising the rest of the experience" they are not listening to those of us that actually WANT To stay where we are and not be part of the "new Experience"

THIS !!!!!!!

If I could only revert my system to the final v7 firmware and stay there I'd be a happy camper. As it is I am not and am most certainly not interested in the "new" Sonos Experience.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

...We recognize the early investment you made in these devices, so in direct response to your feedback, we have been extending the $100 coupon to all CR100 devices you own. Please contact our customer care team to make the request if you have not done so already...

@johngolfuk
When you reply could you please ask for clarification on the following questions,
1) The expansion of the Coupon scheme is this specifically for you or is this being extended to all signatures of the partition or all CR100 owners?
2) Are these able to be used concurrently eg 4x$100 coupons = $400 coupon or just 4 discount vouchers that must be used separately? eg could a valued customer with get something they want with the vouchers or just a discount on 4 things they have little need of?

Thanks for you effort with this.

I imagine Patrick Spence in no way expected his response to remain in the privacy of my inbox, so I doubt the offer is just for me!

The way I read the letter, the offer is open to all registered CR100 owners.

I shall ask the question but, if I were you, I'd crack straight on and open a ticket up.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Folks,

OK, so some worthwhile progress at least... I've just submitted a case to customer support to ask precisely how I should go about requesting multiple coupons. Hopefully I'll hear back something useful soon (more useful than "What, we don't know anything about this offer?")...

Assuming that goes to plan, I'll have a coupon per CR100, each worth pretty much the same as an iPort Express keypad, which, being the only thing I can use it for that comes even close to being a replacement controller, is potentially what I'm going to go for... (I'll likely explore tablet options too, but the research for that will take way longer, and the combination of a tablet - for the display, plus an iPort - for the dedicated hard buttons for basic functions - just may come close enough)

However, I'm not convinced - until I try them - that I'm going to be satisfied with them, and so I'm going to want to run them in parallel for a while until I can decide if I can switch to them, or if I'd rather stay locked-down with my CR100s...

So, - question for anyone who has an iPort Express... - Are they version agnostic? - do they force an upgrade to the latest version in order to be included in the system, or are they like other 3rd-party control apps, quite happy to join my 8.3 system?

Also a question for anyone who's already "recycled" their CR100 - you provide Sonos with the serial number in return for the voucher... - do they take any measures thereafter to "lock out" those serial-numbered controllers? - in other words, is it possible to provide the serial numbers, receive the voucher, but then to continue to use the CR100 for a period of time sufficient to make the transition? - heck, there will be a time delay between registering the serial number, then receiving the coupon(s), and then deciding for sure what to spend them on, and then actually receiving the new kit.. - I can easily imagine it might be 2-3 weeks before I were to actually have the iPorts (assuming that is what I go for) in my hands.. - I could not possibly go without either controller option for that waiting period, and like I said, I really want to not burn my bridges and allow for the possibility of deciding to stick with the CR100s if I (or more importantly the rest of the family) don't get on with the iPorts... - in which case the iPorts would likely go on eBay to fund some other tablet option...

Either way, I'm still going to end up out of pocket, as, - experience of them notwithstanding - I don't envisage that the iPorts are going to be enough on their own, and I'm still going to need to purchase 3 tablets, 3 cradles, etc....

Some valid questions there John and I too would like to know more before submitting any serial numbers. In contrast with my call to Sonos a week or so ago where the response was very guarded, today's was easy with their agent apparently sending an internal "custom not happy with £100 per household CR100 offer" with associated "no promises" comments shortly followed by Technical support email to me (with an incident number) requesting all my CR100 serial numbers.

I can't tell you anything about the iPort Express as we don't use Apple products (an exception was made to placate my wife for our fickle youngest son's birthday. I've only ever used the pad thing for Trueplay to optimize the sound). However, since my wife works for a retail stalwart (think "simply" and "it's not just...") she gets 25% off Logitech although I don't know it the Harmony Elite is worth it at even £230. I'm sure if you "recognise" someone from the store in an on-line survey they might assist you with a parallel purchase using their "perks".

My ageing 4G tablet (Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact) sits on a charging dock and is splashproof when not. I'm kicking myself for returning one to Argos when I found out it was Wi-Fi only and had bought it on clearance for £99 IIRC.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
[quote=Jeeves][quote=Paul Gordon]Folks,

To answer a couple of questions on the enhanced voucher offer (from my own experience):

- My CR100s all continued to work just fine for several weeks after I accepted the offer. I have since retired them but they were working when I turned them off.

- The voucher code I was given allowed me to offset the total value (£400) on a single purchase. Special bundle offers were I believe excluded, but as I wasnt looking at them it didnt affect me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Ok folks, below is my response to Patrick

-------

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your personal reply, it is very much appreciated.

If I may, I would like to raise a number of points with you.

For those that wish to recycle:

1. Thank you for extending the voucher offer to $100 per unit. Please could you confirm that this offer is valid for ALL registered CR100 users?

2. That being the case, can you confirm that it will be one single voucher, ie $500 for 5x CR100s rather than 5x $100 vouchers?

3. Are your development team aware of any 'cut above' Android or equivalent devices (with their own charging docks, hard buttons etc.) that you could recommend as a quality replacement for the CR100?

For those that don't wish to recycle:

1. Since you have confirmed that it is our choice to forego updates and carry on using our CR100s, could you please advise:

- what specifically we need to block in our routers to prevent updates while still maintaining Sonos access to the internet, e.g. for streaming music services.

- whether is is possible to implement the above, i.e. maintaining internet access, but still prevent the Sonos system hardware from detecting that updates are available and prompting for them to be installed?

- whether you would be prepared to publish a knowledgebase article providing the above information?

2. As to legacy software, the community has expressed disappointment that although apparently considered, you are not prepared to provide this for us.

- From our viewpoint, we see the provision of legacy software as being relatively simple as you already have the code and it would be a one off. Once implemented, you could effectively 'wash your hands of it' as no further changes by you would need to be made and anyone installing the legacy software would certainly not expect any level of technical support whilst running it.

- As I mentioned in my original email, this legacy software would also benefit you in the long term as it would mean that we could continue to purchase any product from the current Sonos range and add to our system at the legacy version.

- As far as we can see, the CR100 shares much of its hardware with the ZP80 / ZP100 and the fear, naturally, is that these units will at some point follow the same fate as the CR100. Legacy software would protect us from this as well.

- It would allow late upgraders and casual users (who would more than likely be unaware that they are about to lose their CR100s) to at least roll back for a time and consider their options.

If you are still unwilling to provide this path for us, once again, we would appreciate knowing the reasons for this.

Thanks for your time again,

Best regards

John
Userlevel 1

I bought an iPort Xpress with my voucher. As far as I can see it doesn’t care what version you’re running as when you set it up, you connect your phone to the iPort’s own WiFi to link the 2 together, and then it just connects to whatever Sonos system your phone is connect to.

Should say that, once connected, it’s a totally standalone device and doesn’t need to be connected to your phone!
Userlevel 1

Meanwhile the prospect of compensation per CR100 looks promising. I just wish I hadn't discarded the original boxes for 2 originals now gracing some eco-hellhole. The boxes were burned when I moved house before Christmas and I'm sure they had serial numbers on them. Glass half full or half empty? I never know which way round it is. :)

I haven’t got the boxes either, but that was no problem as the serial number is on the back of the CR100!
Interesting new update today from Harmony for their various remotes... just in time for the CR100 demise perhaps? (see screenshot attached)... devices that ”Work with Sonos” ... presumably other similar manufacturers will also be looking to fill any gaps.
Interesting new update today from Harmony for their various remotes... just in time for the CR100 demise perhaps? (see screenshot attached)... devices that ”Work with Sonos” ... presumably other similar manufacturers will also be looking to fill any gaps.

I don't really follow what this means. When Control4 moved to the official API they lost significant functionality. Does it explain someplace what Harmony will be gaining by this change?

I bought an iPort Xpress with my voucher. As far as I can see it doesn’t care what version you’re running as when you set it up, you connect your phone to the iPort’s own WiFi to link the 2 together, and then it just connects to whatever Sonos system your phone is connect to.

Should say that, once connected, it’s a totally standalone device and doesn’t need to be connected to your phone!

Thanks for the heads up that a phone running the Sonos app is required to set this device up. I don't use the app or have it installed on any devices so if I purchased one I would not be able to use it!
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I haven’t got the boxes either, but that was no problem as the serial number is on the back of the CR100!
Yes, I was on about a couple of long since dead ones (bought in my first Sonos spree) where the boxes had been carefully stored until my recent move. There are other ways of getting serial numbers if your morals allow it. I'll stick rather than twist at this point and accept the offer on my remaining 6 regardless of whether I use the voucher(s). They've moved from their original position and recognised seed customers so I'll not abuse this warmer relationship.

Thanks for the heads up that a phone running the Sonos app is required to set this device up. I don't use the app or have it installed on any devices so if I purchased one I would not be able to use it!

You don't need the Sonos controller on the iDevice used for xPRESS setup. Once pointed at the correct WiFi the xPRESS looks for players on the local subnet and gets info from them.
Userlevel 1

You don't need the Sonos controller on the iDevice used for xPRESS setup. Once pointed at the correct WiFi the xPRESS looks for players on the local subnet and gets info from them.

Sorry for my mistake. Yes you’re correct. Of course, you do need an iOS device running the iPort app to do this.
Upstatemike,

Not sure if it does help others here? I thought it might prove to be useful.

This latest firmware update and software only came out a few hours ago here in the UK. I know they make several 'button' remotes and a hub and I found this information link on their website.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-sonos

What the new firmware features are though, are still not clear to me at the moment.
Upstatemike,

Not sure if it does help others here? I thought it might prove to be useful.

This latest firmware update and software only came out a few hours ago here in the UK. I know they make several 'button' remotes and a hub and I found this information link on their website.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-sonos

What the new firmware features are though, are still not clear to me at the moment.

Thanks for the link. This looks promising:

Have a Sonos One, Sonos PLAY:1, PLAY:3 or PLAY:5?

Harmony lets you start a Listen to Sonos Activity, choose your music, view and control what's playing, all without leaving Harmony.

Have multiple players? Add them to your Listen to Sonos Activity, Harmony will group the speakers when your Activity starts.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
In previous postings I have described how I have struggled to block Sonos from destroying my CR100s because the subscription modem/routers I have at both my homes allow only limited access controls. So I thought I’d do a final post with an update to help anyone else with the same problem.

I have now installed a TP-Link TL-R470T+ router downstream of my modem/routers. It works brilliantly and totally transparently. I know that technically I should then run the modem/routers in bridge mode, but I can’t do that either, and it still works. Even with Skype but I haven’t tried any other VOIPs. If anything I get better overall download speeds WITH this setup than before (despite not using the load balancing capabilities of this router).

Instead of blocking individual Sonos addresses, I have simply chosen to block everything from sonos.com, so this is my last appearance here.

Goodbye Sonos, and good riddance. Your loss, I assure you.

And godspeed to the rest of you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask?_ga) and let them know what you think.

466 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done BEFORE TOMORROW, i.e. when the 8.5 software/firmware update is anticipated to be rolled out). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index86.html#post16220262
Userlevel 2
In previous postings I have described how I have struggled to block Sonos from destroying my CR100s because the subscription modem/routers I have at both my homes allow only limited access controls. So I thought I’d do a final post with an update to help anyone else with the same problem.

I have now installed a TP-Link TL-R470T+ router downstream of my modem/routers. It works brilliantly and totally transparently. I know that technically I should then run the modem/routers in bridge mode, but I can’t do that either, and it still works. Even with Skype but I haven’t tried any other VOIPs. If anything I get better overall download speeds WITH this setup than before (despite not using the load balancing capabilities of this router).

Instead of blocking individual Sonos addresses, I have simply chosen to block everything from sonos.com, so this is my last appearance here.

Goodbye Sonos, and good riddance. Your loss, I assure you.

And godspeed to the rest of you.

Totally agree with the sentiment here and sums up my feelings towards Sonos right now.
We have chosen to set up our kit on a closed network using a spare router without internet access to avoid any issues with components updating and wrecking my perfectly operational CR100.
As we don’t stream any services, only listening to music stored on our NAS or radio via line in, this seemed like the best solution for now but obviously precludes adding any new devices.
So farewell Sonos.