Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

We "reached out" (sorry, but that phrase makes my blood boil) to Sonos with the letter almost a week ago.....(for the record, it was emailed to Patrick Spence and CCd to Mike Carlino and Julie Sochin)

Oooh somebody's edited the naughty word in my post.

Are you there RyanS.....?

I think we should perhaps remember that some very young children may pass by this open-to-all forum. I’m all for some censorship in those circumstances, as a responsible parent, and now a grand-father, myself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
[quote=johngolfuk]
For the record the original word is yellow stuff that goes down the toilet

Oooh I love a quiz - Pinot Grigio?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I wish Sonos would stop telling us they're "reaching out". They seem to reach just far enough to tug my chain.

I've also found out that my ISP doesn't release the security details to its supplied router which only allows the most basic admin features; but I've got the rest of the week to come up with a solution even if it means disconnecting the broadband to force my kids off their PS4s. Hmmm.:?

Had the same issue recently when I changed my ISP to a fibre provider... their "router" wasn't really anything of the sort, it's just a residential gateway, with no local access or management features.. all the normal router config stuff you'd expect to do was performed via a webpage on the ISPs servers, and the options on offer were laughable...

I very quickly had them set the gateway into bridge mode, and bought my own router to place between it & my LAN.. back to being able to fully manage my own internal network settings... :-)

I would imagine most ISP's would be able to do the same? - worth pinging their support desk with that query...

That's exactly what I did with mine years ago. My ISP router is in bridge mode, and is connected to my own personal router which handles all of the LAN stuff (DHCP, Wi-Fi, Firewall etc.). With this setup I get to choose the make/model/performance of my router as well as having full control over my LAN settings.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

432 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done BEFORE the next Sonos software/firmware update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index86.html#post16220262
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just another thought if I have to accept their £100 voucher I'm so inclined to move away from Sonos that I'm minded to sell the voucher for £75 on ebay and buy a couple of chromecasts instead as a matter of principle.

If you do go down this route just a quick note for you. The voucher is for $100 so we actually get £125 in the UK.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I like this snippet from the play 1 specs on Sonos Canada

https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/shop/play1.html

It's not on the UK or US sites - they must have forgotten to remove it from the Canadian one.....
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
[quote=F00tS0re]
For the record the original word is yellow stuff that goes down the toilet

Oooh I love a quiz - Pinot Grigio?

Warm....
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
There you go, johngolfuk - fixed it for you.

T
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I wish Sonos would stop telling us they're "reaching out". They seem to reach just far enough to tug my chain.

Dave - I applaud your selfless stance with regard to not accepting your exceptional (as in "not the norm") offer base on 3 CR100s. I didn't pursue this when I called them before Easter, I just wanted to see if they volunteered any escalation since RyanS had previously invited me to "reach out" (yep) to them.

I've found that the CR100 cradle makes an almost perfect unpowered stand for the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Perhaps Sonos would like to help me populate all my cradles with these large screened, splashproof android devices at £529 each since they're not offering me anything for my otherwise redundant cradles.

I've also found out that my ISP doesn't release the security details to its supplied router which only allows the most basic admin features; but I've got the rest of the week to come up with a solution even if it means disconnecting the broadband to force my kids off their PS4s. Hmmm.:?

Jeeves,
use your ISPs router just as the gateway, and add an appropriate Wi-Fi router that will do the filtering between the Gateway and your network. then you do not have to worry about your ISP.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Dave - I applaud your selfless stance with regard to not accepting your exceptional (as in "not the norm") offer base on 3 CR100s. I didn't pursue this when I called them before Easter, I just wanted to see if they volunteered any escalation since RyanS had previously invited me to "reach out" (yep) to them.

I've found that the CR100 cradle makes an almost perfect unpowered stand for the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Perhaps Sonos would like to help me populate all my cradles with these large screened, splashproof android devices at £529 each since they're not offering me anything for my otherwise redundant cradles.

Jeeves,
use your ISPs router just as the gateway, and add an appropriate Wi-Fi router that will do the filtering between the Gateway and your network. then you do not have to worry about your ISP.

Hmm. I saw a diagram during a search that showed a WAN socket for connecting to another router for this type of configuration, but my Mickey Mouse one doesn't have this (always wondered what this was for on my old ISP's one).

I have found access to "Port Mapping" and "Port Triggering" so I don't know if setting up some rules and then disabling them will work e.g. 4444 -> 4444 but disabled (is that the port or the "rule" though). Seems you have to do this for every Sonos IP address and I've got quite a few...

I've sent the ISP support a message but as you can probably tell I'm fumbling in the dark and their Firewall switch is a simple on/off without other options.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Jeeves,

Agreed, we run a router from Draytek (two actually), that links two differing WAN (broadband) connections for more bandwidth. Plus we have full control over what the router is doing.

- It lets me shut down WiFi for the kids at certain times but leave it open for others
- it lets me prioritise traffic for my work stuff (I really mean the PS4)
- I can route non-priority traffic on the slow broadband
- block certain things from being viewed
- create a separate LAN for IoT that never need to be talked to locally (reduces hacking risks)

Some of the above, especially the kids stuff is handled better by other routers but the multiple WAN handling & routing makes Draytek the best choice for me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
For some reason, my previous reply has vanished.

Anyway, quick update. I've found "port forwarding" and "port triggering" options but no obvious blocking facility. The Firewall switch is just that, on/off with no further options. I'm waiting for the ISP community forum's response, but all their questions seem to be about unblocking.

Thanks for the recommendations btw. My router doesn't have a separate WAN socket so I'm not sure it can be used as a gateway. I'm convincing myself I sound like I know what I'm talking about here...:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Anyway, quick update. I've found "port forwarding" and "port triggering" options but no obvious blocking facility. The Firewall switch is just that, on/off with no further options. I'm waiting for the ISP community forum's response, but all their questions seem to be about unblocking.

Thanks for the recommendations btw. My router doesn't have a separate WAN socket so I'm not sure it can be used as a gateway. I'm convincing myself I sound like I know what I'm talking about here...:D

You can always leave router in standard mode and connect another router to it. You then control what passes in/out of the second router. Technically packets are being handled twice but I doubt you would notice the speed difference. Technically you would be double NAT'd but unless you need to allow outside traffic in (e.g. VOIP) then it shouldn't be an issue.

Dave

Jeeves,
Are you with VirginMedia? I don’t think they allow port blocking, or many other features in their router configuration pages. But it is possible to switch their hubs to modem-mode and buy your own router which you can then configure port blocking.

Some ISP's are just a 'nuisance' and take away lots of features including configuration backups ... which is a real pain whenever you are forced to reset or replace your ISP router with an identical model.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
All, just a formal post to let you know it is now precisely 7 days since "the letter" was sent.

Still no reply - it's all really rather rude.

I'll give it another 24 hours then I'll forward it on again with updated numbers.

For those late to the discussion, this is the letter that was emailed to the Sonos CEO and other seniors last week.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index87.html#post16220661

Ken, you'll probably tell us we're wasting our time but I would at least expect the courtesy of a timely reply, whatever the outcome.
I'm pretty sure you already got a timely, not to mention official reply right here in this thread. Ryan S speaks for Sonos, and he certainly would not be able to state anything but the approved company response. In my humble opinion, you are screaming at the wind here.
All, just a formal post to let you know it is now precisely 7 days since "the letter" was sent.

Suggest you go back and read Sonos’ official reply, right on the first post of this thread. You have your reply, it’s just not the one you want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Suggest you go back and read Sonos’ official reply, right on the first post of this thread. You have your reply, it’s just not the one you want.

I'm pretty sure you already got a timely, not to mention official reply right here in this thread. Ryan S speaks for Sonos, and he certainly would not be able to state anything but the approved company response. In my humble opinion, you are screaming at the wind here.

Point of order: - Any post at the start of this thread or a reply within this thread cannot be a reply to a letter sent after the post(s) was/were made - Come on!

It is common courtesy to reply to a letter with a letter written by (or formally on behalf of) the person the first letter was addressed to, not to do so is indeed rude. But perhaps expecting a formal a reply within a week is a bit optimistic. :?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
It's very echo like in here.

Thanks for pointing that out. I read that corporate twaddle at the start of the thread and the same corporate twaddle on the 23rd March. I suppose I should have just laid down and accepted that.

However, if I then choose to send an email - whatever the contents - to the CEO & 'Director of global customer care' I expect the courtesy of a response.

Wouldn't you?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Point of order: - Any post at the start of this thread or a reply within this thread cannot be a reply to a letter sent after the post(s) was/were made - Come on!

It is common courtesy to reply to a letter with a letter written by (or formally on behalf of) the person the first letter was addressed to, not to do so is indeed rude. But perhaps expecting a formal a reply within a week is a bit optimistic. :?

Bet me to it!
Nope. I would never expect a CEO to bother replying to a series of questions that were already dealt with by his subordinates. I would take the answers I've already got as definitive and final. Then again, I also do not tilt at windmills. I find the fight to be very unfulfilling.

However, if I then choose to send an email - whatever the contents - to the CEO & 'Director of global customer care' I expect the courtesy of a response.

Wouldn't you?

No, i would expect, and would almost certainly get, exactly what Sonos has already provided. A response from subordinates, or a boilerplate response. You have the response, you just don't like what it says. I happen to be disgusted by the outcome of a recent election. Life ain't fair.

Ken, you'll probably tell us we're wasting our time but I would at least expect the courtesy of a timely reply, whatever the outcome.

No, I’m not here to really say anything John... I have already said the things that I wanted to say before. I don’t blame any of you for trying.

I still sincerely hope you get a reply to the letter, at least at some point, but I don’t ever see it being the type of reply that you were hoping for.

I think the one chap, earlier in this thread, who turned down £300 or $300 for his three old controllers (can’t recall his name or find his post now), but I think he may have missed an opportunity, but other than that, I’m sat on the fence. I appreciate he and many others will disagree with my point of view on that matter, but let’s not flame each other here over what we each may see as a reasonable and fair offer.

I would just have liked to see a fair and reasonable settlement that actually suited the majority of genuine folk here, and Sonos too. Then we could have all just moved on (together). That’s what I was hoping that such a 'collectively formulated' letter to the CEO would have achieved.

So that’s really all I can say at this stage. I assume many here will continue to disagree with my own views in any event.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Jeeves,
Are you with VirginMedia? I don’t think they allow port blocking, or many other features in their router configuration pages. But it is possible to switch their hubs to modem-mode and buy your own router which you can then configure port blocking.

Some ISP's are just a 'nuisance' and take away lots of features including configuration backups ... which is a real pain whenever you are forced to reset or replace your ISP router with an identical model.

No, not Virgin.

The sole forum reply there so far is:

If you configure the Sonos so that it has a fixed IP address, no 'default gateway' and no dns then it won't be able to access anything beyond your router.

I've explained a little more about Sonos. 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
You can always leave router in standard mode and connect another router to it. You then control what passes in/out of the second router. Technically packets are being handled twice but I doubt you would notice the speed difference. Technically you would be double NAT'd but unless you need to allow outside traffic in (e.g. VOIP) then it shouldn't be an issue.
Hi Dave, I'm one of those with limited control of my VDSL modem/router, so I'm interested in this.

I can’t switch my router to bridge mode, nor can I switch off DHCP. Just to be clear, are you saying I can put a second router behind this one without causing problems? You mention VOIP - I use Skype a good deal, so would that be a problem?

I am using Parental Controls to guard my main Sonos system against CR100 theft and a firewall for the system in my holiday home, but I can't block ports on either, so adding a second router with more control might offer more protection.