Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Actually, before I give Mrs jguk her Toad In The Hole, I suppose I should make a public service announcement certainly for those of us in the UK and I think most of Europe and maybe even worldwide.

The clocks go forward one hour tonight

Something else that's forced upon us that most of us don't want...........
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Well I’ve just added my final two sonos devices like others here. I see now the set up requires me to log in to sonos so they can steal all my info. Don’t remember having to log in before when setting it up but it was some time ago so I might be wrong.

Only reason I mention this is that I had thought I might be able to add v.8.4 devices in future ( buying off eBay etc) but this is not going to be possible as every new device needs contact with the mothership. I didn’t know this...so just posting for the benefit of others . Apologies if I was the only one who wasn’t aware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Logging in has been required since the Alexa integration
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Actually, before I give Mrs jguk her Toad In The Hole, I suppose I should make a public service announcement certainly for those of us in the UK and I think most of Europe and maybe even worldwide.

The clocks go forward one hour tonight

Something else that's forced upon us that most of us don't want...........

thats funny, the Gov made us do that last week, or was that the week before, anyway, it was obviously not all at the same time.
Enjoy your Toad in the hole......
Sonos is really dissembling here. Saying that the aging CR100 battery is prone to overheating and possible danger is simply ridiculous and very akin to the Apple iPhone dissembling remarks about intentional slowing down the aging iPhone for similar reasons. It is very simple to replace the battery in the CR100 at a very cheap price (under $10) and can be done by the user. I have replaced all 6 of my CR100 Controller batteries without any issues. I mean, come on who doesn't expect to replace batteries in any device! To intentionally brick these controllers for this very specious reason is the height of corporate irresponsibility and corporate arrogance. There just is no valid reason to do this. I have a system with 6 controllers and 16 room devices but in the future I will definitely not buy Sonos again nor will I recommend it to any of my friends. Sonos has gone from being a trusted vendor of a reliable product to a bad corporate citizen acting against their customer base.
Morning / Afternoon / Evening all

Here's the daily update - nothing added, nothing removed, nothing edited

Reposting to keep momentum.

Please feel free to suggest additions / corrections / removals, I will post again tomorrow evening.

My intention is to finalise this list by Wednesday evening (GMT) and get it away with a covering letter by email to Sonos Central in time for Thursday morning.

Right, must go, Mrs jguk is crying out for Toad In The Hole. That's our evening meal for those not familiar with the term.

Reasons to maintain support for the CR100
1. We don't want our kids using tablets / smartphones to control Sonos in their bedrooms as this gives them unsupervised internet access

2. It's splashproof and robust - great for kitchen, bathroom, pool, outdoor use & for the kids

3. We feel we are currently forced (but don't want) to lock down our systems from future upgrades and potentially lose our streaming services in the future as a result. This forced locking down of systems to protect our CR100s is effectively preventing us from ANY future Sonos purchases.

4. Casual users (an example, holiday home users but also anybody who chooses not to upgrade to each and every new release) might innocently perform an upgrade in 6 months and lose their CR100s without any warning.

5. It is easier for people with certain disabilities to use over a touchscreen / PC based app

6. We have invested a lot of money in CR100s (several users citing ownership of 4, 5, 6 or more units) and still see them as an ongoing concern with plenty of life left. We do not want to re-invest in a corresponding number of new tablets (or other equivalent devices) to take over the job.

7. It is easy for guests to use. We are happy to hand over our CR100s for them to use but not our smartphones or tablets.

8. It is our preferred method of controlling our Sonos systems. We do not want to move to solely app or voice controlled methods.

9. Many of us have affixed our CR100 charging cradles to walls and buried the wires. We do not want these to become a useless ornament

10. We use the alarm clock feature - very easy with the hard buttons

11. We accept the "aging battery" issue at our risk although many users have changed their own batteries anyway

12. We are not comfortable about disposing equipment that works perfectly (even through proper recyling channels) - unnecessary e-waste is bad for the environment.

13. It is instantly available to control our systems - we don't want to have to go through the process of unlocking our device and waiting for an app to launch

14. We like the feel of hard buttons and can use it in the dark with our eyes closed. Other button based options Sonos currently sell fall completely short in terms of full system control.

15. It operates without the need for access to the Internet.

16. It does not depend on a service that has additional privacy implications / concerns.

17. It is dedicated to the whole-home music system so it is intuitive – so much more so than the apps.

18. It has a quick response for essential functions, visual feedback on the screen & great zone control compared to apps.

19. We feel it starts a bad precedence for forced obsolescence which can only be bad for the Sonos brand.

20. The CR100 is a branded Sonos item so anybody using it immediately knows what system they are controlling.

21. We are not seeking to hold back Sonos development at the expense of other non CR100 users. However, the CR100 is a fixed piece of hardware that will never change. We feel that this makes it easy to remain part of the Sonos system for future updates. We accept that new features will not be added to the CR100

Expanding on number 5 it is not just people with disabilities who struggle with touch screens but any family member who's hands are too old or too young to have the required level of physical dexterity to operate one comfortably. Even cell phone manufacturers are sensitive enough to offer alternate devices that work for people who can't deal with touch screens. It would be pretty ageist to assume this was a suitable one size fits all solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Morning / Afternoon / Evening all

Here's the daily update - nothing added, nothing removed, nothing edited

Reposting to keep momentum.

Please feel free to suggest additions / corrections / removals, I will post again tomorrow evening.

My intention is to finalise this list by Wednesday evening (GMT) and get it away with a covering letter by email to Sonos Central in time for Thursday morning.

Right, must go, Mrs jguk is crying out for Toad In The Hole. That's our evening meal for those not familiar with the term.

Reasons to maintain support for the CR100
1. We don't want our kids using tablets / smartphones to control Sonos in their bedrooms as this gives them unsupervised internet access

2. It's splashproof and robust - great for kitchen, bathroom, pool, outdoor use & for the kids

3. We feel we are currently forced (but don't want) to lock down our systems from future upgrades and potentially lose our streaming services in the future as a result. This forced locking down of systems to protect our CR100s is effectively preventing us from ANY future Sonos purchases.

4. Casual users (an example, holiday home users but also anybody who chooses not to upgrade to each and every new release) might innocently perform an upgrade in 6 months and lose their CR100s without any warning.

5. It is easier for people with certain disabilities to use over a touchscreen / PC based app

6. We have invested a lot of money in CR100s (several users citing ownership of 4, 5, 6 or more units) and still see them as an ongoing concern with plenty of life left. We do not want to re-invest in a corresponding number of new tablets (or other equivalent devices) to take over the job.

7. It is easy for guests to use. We are happy to hand over our CR100s for them to use but not our smartphones or tablets.

8. It is our preferred method of controlling our Sonos systems. We do not want to move to solely app or voice controlled methods.

9. Many of us have affixed our CR100 charging cradles to walls and buried the wires. We do not want these to become a useless ornament

10. We use the alarm clock feature - very easy with the hard buttons

11. We accept the "aging battery" issue at our risk although many users have changed their own batteries anyway

12. We are not comfortable about disposing equipment that works perfectly (even through proper recyling channels) - unnecessary e-waste is bad for the environment.

13. It is instantly available to control our systems - we don't want to have to go through the process of unlocking our device and waiting for an app to launch

14. We like the feel of hard buttons and can use it in the dark with our eyes closed. Other button based options Sonos currently sell fall completely short in terms of full system control.

15. It operates without the need for access to the Internet.

16. It does not depend on a service that has additional privacy implications / concerns.

17. It is dedicated to the whole-home music system so it is intuitive – so much more so than the apps.

18. It has a quick response for essential functions, visual feedback on the screen & great zone control compared to apps.

19. We feel it starts a bad precedence for forced obsolescence which can only be bad for the Sonos brand.

20. The CR100 is a branded Sonos item so anybody using it immediately knows what system they are controlling.

21. We are not seeking to hold back Sonos development at the expense of other non CR100 users. However, the CR100 is a fixed piece of hardware that will never change. We feel that this makes it easy to remain part of the Sonos system for future updates. We accept that new features will not be added to the CR100

Expanding on number 5 it is not just people with disabilities who struggle with touch screens but any family member who's hands are too old or too young to have the required level of physical dexterity to operate one comfortably. Even cell phone manufacturers are sensitive enough to offer alternate devices that work for people who can't deal with touch screens. It would be pretty ageist to assume this was a suitable one size fits all solution.

Would this go against the ADA "Americans with Disability Act"? if a touchscreen only device is all that is available?
Oh and please do not bother to remind every one about the simple 6-button only and no display option that Sonos does not make nor they have to support, it may be an option for some, but its certainly not a replacement.

just fanning the flames here, no reason to berate me on it.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Logging in has been required since the Alexa integrationLogging in has been required since the Alexa integration
Interesting info, I had not realised that in the process of Sonos adding features I do not want or need they also lumber me with additional steps to do the things I do want to do (like adding addition units to my system).
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Been a long haul to this point.

Its been a long trip to where we are now, 79 pages and almost 2000 replies on a topic that I am convinced Sonos must have known would raise the ire of many, but I am also now convinced they have made the decision, that in 2018 in order to follow the fad of Voice Control, and change the original path of the "Sonos Eco-System" more towards the "All Streaming Service All The Time" (VS the original PRIMARY purpose of Sonos which was Local File Storage) they must start to shed things that they simply DO NOT want to support any longer.

The CR100 is a Control, it is not a streaming device and only needs to control the streaming device, It also connects thru SonosNet, I believe there may be changes coming to SonosNet which is why the Players will simply no longer talk to the CR100.
I also believe there is going to be a change in "services" that Sonos will be pushing, like all other vendors. The revenue is in continued services and NOT hardware. If Sonos agrees to put out a Legacy Firmware platform for those of us that want to stay put, and keep our CR100s, then they will be having to put effort and expense to provide a continued platform that will reap them absolutely no additional revenue.
Even if Sonos does not actually provide any services themselves, they can be "partners" with service providers that in turn will pay them.

the real issue from the start was the "moral" or "ethical" decision by any company to unilaterally make a decision to end the life of a product they sold with short notice and zero option to allow the rightful owners of that product a method to keep them "As IS" and functional. In my 40+ years of working in Electronics repair, audio/Video sales, and IT Consulting I have certainly had to upgrade and replace many items BUT I have never been told by any manufacturer that as of a given date that item will no longer work.
Sonos is setting a bad precedent and I truly hope someone takes them to task for it, count me in as one to join any group in a complaint.
I would suggest that if Sonos had created that "better" controller, or the Desire to move away from the CR100 then yes, we would move. But they have not created anything better in a single purpose controller and making all of us Beta Testers as they keep trying to make the App work with Voice and new features.

I have never jump on a topic which enticed me (for the first time) to join ANY message board and speak out. I have certainly learned much more than bargained for about the "Board Police" that if they do not work for Sonos, and with their berating attitudes and "Legends in their own minds" Posting they are certainly not "helping" Sonos in making people with some real concerns "happy customers". When all is said and done I will be sure to go back to my regular life and not think about this mess at all.

somewhere in the middle of all this (and I was not really going to go here, but why not) about 4 weeks ago, my much loved Dog (See my Avatar) of only 8 years old had to be put down. this was NOT an easy decision, and there was absolutely nothing I could do, and as Kada's Owner I had to make the best responsible, ethical and moral decision for what was best for Kada, not myself.
while we are talking about "Just" a small piece of electronics in the CR100, it is something that (I will guess) at least many thousands of people use and enjoy and make it a huge part of their system. Many have taken the time to perform the required maintenance and replace the battery and we all sung the praise of Sonos and the music their hardware plays for us in our lifestyle.
I have said this in past posts, and at the risk of the board police crying foul, I will again say that Sonos has a responsibility to officially provide the buyers of their product a choice which would allow these products to work as designed. This must come from Sonos.

Only the Owners of the product should be the ones to make the decision WHEN to stop using a product and not simply find the product is no longer functional due to the manufacturers decision. If I cannot move forward with your desire to add new features and abilities AND keep my CR100, then please, let me stay the way I am and you can take that new path. But you do not have the right to shut off my gear. and until you provide an official Sonos Sanctioned option, I have not been provided one.

This entire thread has brought out a lot of passion from everyone, I do not care what the Board Police have to say on this topic I only care to hear what Sonos has to say,
In the end its not even what they say that matters, its what they do.
Their "reasons" for terminating the CR100 is a smokescreen, the real reasons we may never know, and as users we do not care, we just expect they will continue to work and life goes on.

I will end this message with a thanks to all of the other topic members that brought out some great thoughts on this topic, thanks to Dash who originally posted this topic in the first place, and my disappointment with Sonos for the entire way they handled this issue, and lack of any communication to the owners of their product, Ryan appears to have a tough job having to be the spokesman while not actually telling us anything of value and advising us to do things that officially is not recommended as an option.

I am walled up, will wait to see what Sonos does to my CR100s which will then guide me in all future dealings with Sonos, and to end on a good note, will try to look on the better things in life as I play with the new puppy we pickup tomorrow.

Sonos, your current direction shows a total lack of respect for those that want to continue using the CR100, do the right thing.

Oh YES - What he said !!

Other than being on the Sonos forums since 2005 and not having a dog (would love one but lifestyle precludes it) this post is a pretty good summary of our position. - We are not alone 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge
Anyway to stop PC and android apps from being updated manually by accident? I've noticed much bigger update buttons and more insistent nagging/message/update popup screens (or am I just being paranoid). I've already disabled autoupdates, etc.
Userlevel 4
Badge
:(( - after waiting for the thunder storms to recede I tried to update system from 8.3 to 8.4 tonight. Unfortunately it worked after a couple of tries, so that means blacklisting "update.sonos.com" in parental controls alone doesn't ring-fence the system. Still have to find a suitable modem with decent firewall before the kill day. :((
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

...then I would expect them to listen to people when they detail how the change will affect their experience in their particular use scenario and consider whether improved compensation will help them come to terms with it. My experience is that they have done just that. They offered me a voucher for each controller. I have made no secret about this - i posted it earlier in this thread. This was clearly an exception to the normal offer and I have to be honest - it was enough to reconcile me to losing the CR100. Indeed, I'll be buying more Sonos equipment now 🙂. I can see why they might not want to advertise this, but equally they didnt ask me to sign an NDA either.
If you think that a better offer might make you happier with your loss and encourage you to explore solutions that don't involve locking down your system and living in fear of an accidental update - then I suggest you contact Sonos individually to make your case. What's the worst that can happen? Otherwise I don't see them answering what are specific and individual use scenarios on this thread.

@Kenneth_14
I took your advice to email support and gave Sonos the opportunity to offer a personalised response reflective of my circumstances and the true cost of replacing this equipment with an equivalent solution.

This was there response:
Thanks for contacting Sonos Customer Care. Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the CR100 compensation. We believe this is a generous agreement as most companies do not compensate users for when their products are at their end of life period. The CR100 can easily be replaced with an android tablet of higher functionality. In our research you can purchase a suitable tablet for $50.

What specifically did you say to them that made them offer a unique solution in your case?

Looks like a very interesting interpretation of "end of life"....your product will end when we choose to kill them irrespective of if they are still functional as intended.

SONOS you should be ashamed.
Userlevel 4
Badge
My spare ZP100 won't connect to the system, though system can see it, still on V 1, won't upgrade.

What specifically did you say to them that made them offer a unique solution in your case?

Looks like a very interesting interpretation of "end of life"....your product will end when we choose to kill them irrespective of if they are still functional as intended.

It seems Sonos conflating "end of life" and "end of support". Sonos can determine end of support but end of life is up to the owner of the device. The tricky thing in this situation is that Sonos is saying they will not support any of your gear unless you are at the current firmware version. So to get warranty support that you are entitled to for a recent purchase such as a Sonos One you must accept the "April Fools Day Massacre" update that kills your CR100s. Many folks see this as unethical.

I have also seen the term "upgrade" incorrectly used in place of "update". There will be an update in April but it definitely won't be an upgrade for CR100 users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
:(( - after waiting for the thunder storms to recede I tried to update system from 8.3 to 8.4 tonight. Unfortunately it worked after a couple of tries, so that means blacklisting "update.sonos.com" in parental controls alone doesn't ring-fence the system. Still have to find a suitable modem with decent firewall before the kill day. :((

John,
were you trying to blacklist from a PC or within your router?
just to be clear, all of the filtering must be done within the network gateway, which could be your router, or vendor provided modem.
I personally would not trust the vendor provided unit as they could push updates which may wipe out custom filters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Anyway to stop PC and android apps from being updated manually by accident? I've noticed much bigger update buttons and more insistent nagging/message/update popup screens (or am I just being paranoid). I've already disabled auto-updates, etc.

John,
there was a great write up done and recently updated, its posted in this topic and repeated often.
it will give the needed info on how to lock down your system.

I found it and to copy/paste the detail from Ikrananka :

Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

377 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index70.html#post16217266
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
My spare ZP100 won't connect to the system, though system can see it, still on V 1, won't upgrade.

John.
and last, I had the same issue a couple weeks ago, seems some people have no issues while others did getting a remote to connect with the newest firmware (I believe they already started making changes to the network protocols being used and this shows the Player will stop talking to the remotes)
the only solution is to get all the rest of the gear setup and working and then call Sonos support.
they will have to connect to your PC, then they will put one of your players into development mode which will allows the new remote to connect.
trouble is, once they reboot the player devmode goes away and you would need to call them again if the problem arises.

If sonos is going to start to suggest "end of life" and therefore "end of support" and we have locked down systems it will be "game over" as we will not be supported unless we allow the death or our remotes and update to the latest code.

if you have issues now, call now, who know when "end of life" will be officially pushed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

...then I would expect them to listen to people when they detail how the change will affect their experience in their particular use scenario and consider whether improved compensation will help them come to terms with it. My experience is that they have done just that. They offered me a voucher for each controller. I have made no secret about this - i posted it earlier in this thread. This was clearly an exception to the normal offer and I have to be honest - it was enough to reconcile me to losing the CR100. Indeed, I'll be buying more Sonos equipment now 🙂. I can see why they might not want to advertise this, but equally they didnt ask me to sign an NDA either.
If you think that a better offer might make you happier with your loss and encourage you to explore solutions that don't involve locking down your system and living in fear of an accidental update - then I suggest you contact Sonos individually to make your case. What's the worst that can happen? Otherwise I don't see them answering what are specific and individual use scenarios on this thread.

@Kenneth_14
I took your advice to email support and gave Sonos the opportunity to offer a personalised response reflective of my circumstances and the true cost of replacing this equipment with an equivalent solution.

This was there response:
Thanks for contacting Sonos Customer Care. Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the CR100 compensation. We believe this is a generous agreement as most companies do not compensate users for when their products are at their end of life period. The CR100 can easily be replaced with an android tablet of higher functionality. In our research you can purchase a suitable tablet for $50.

in the IT world there certainly is an "end of life" on many items., However, it usually applies to items (like firewalls) that age out due and require subscription services that the vendor cannot support due to additional resources needed to KEEP THE CLIENT CURRENT on the services.
end of life, however is not used as an "Termination Date" of those items, if the owner decides to continue using them then generally they will still function as they did when the "EOL" date was passed. the vendors do not klll them.

If they elect to now move to EOL="End of Support" then this may be the first item they stop supporting one of their items, and since their latest 8.4 firmware appears to have broken the ability to even attach a CR100 to a player it looks to me like they setup a great way to walk away and simply screw all owners.

this will get interesting, since it appears that there is a way to change code as an option (like the Beta program), time will tell what will happen if the crap hits the fan and enough of a stir is made to force Sonos to allow for a Legacy code base, at which point IF we are provided with one the units could be "downgraded" to a code that will allow the CR100 to once again connect.

Come on Sonos, enough with the semantics on this issue, your excuses and continued explanations are an insult to the owners of this hardware which you sold for a defined purpose. this entire issue stinks on many levels and all we are seeing it you are not interested in providing a legacy path for those of us that would desire to keep Operational controllers.
... and since their latest 8.4 firmware appears to have broken the ability to even attach a CR100 to a player it looks to me like they setup a great way to walk away and simply screw all owners.Do you mean that even before the upcoming April update I cannot now add a CR100 to my existing 8.4 system? I hope not, because I just bought two of these units to replace my dying CR200. 😞
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The interpretation of "end of support" being equivalent to "end of life" is a very interesting question (not only as a legal question but mostly as an ethical one) which will have wide reaching precedent to other parts of our ever connected lives and devices.

A friend of mine just sunk a good sum of money into a shinny new Tesla part of the appeal being the interconnect ability of the manufacture to offer "updates" to the firmware of the car and have it "improve" with the latest services & software developments. (sound familiar anyone?)
Can you see Tesla deciding to "end of support" and issuing kill updates to any older cars? (They use batteries after all and they may no longer be compatible with the latest services)
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
To me it looks like there are only a few reasons sonos would do something like this:
1) They didn't think. (If so its not to late)

2) If there exists a genuine product safety Issue that should prohibit allowing these devices to continuing fore-filling the roles they where purchased for. Then Sonos is obliged to issue a product recall.

3) If there is some technical reason or limitation (say adding voice updates or new services) that is inhibiting the growth of the larger Sonos eco-system, customer base & profits for the company. (They are remaining extremely tight lipped over technical reasons, perhaps with good reason) but if so why don't they offer a compensation that would actually get close to replacing the "value" they are removing from people systems?
After all they think there are so few of these in existence that they are indifferent to their oldest and most loyal customers.
Really what would it cost?
How much would the customer good will be worth alone?

4) Or most likely (reading between the lines of all that has been said & not said by Sonos) they just want to "end support" costs for a legacy hardware.
I think most people would say "fair enough" but then way not just "end support" and allow it to degrade elegantly and organically (after all there are third party controllers that are agnostic to the base Firmware version people are running on there systems)
Why not open source the controllers and have a PR win, after all what does it matter with legacy hardware - Give the community the chance to Save the CR100s, from my experience there are some very talented and passionate people in the early adopters

SONOS there are some many more elegant options than what has been proposed and in real terms they need not be a significant cost to the company in financial terms or good will terms.
Perhaps its time for some slightly more creative thinking Sonos!

Sonos just imagine how the customers in this forum would be feeling about forking out for new controllers if Sonos had written a letter saying something to the effect of we no longer feel we can do justice to the CR100s but as we value our oldest and most loyal customers here is a voucher (per controller) for a shinny new piece of kit as we feel we can no longer support (or do justice to) the CR100s.
I suspect the "tone" of this forum would be extremely different.
Userlevel 2
Ironically, my last post to this forum congratulated Sonos for continuing to support the CR100 for so long. Perhaps I should have kept my big mouth shut.

Anyway, like several others, I found out about this quite recently by accident. Sonos, despite having my email address that hasn't changed in twenty years, never contacted me about it (I've checked my mailer logs; there is nothing there). When I contacted Sonos support, they told me that I wasn't unique; lot's of people are only now discovering what is about to happen.

I have read all 80 depressing pages of this thread in the vain hope that there would be an announcement that somebody in the Sonos senior management has had an attack of common sense. No luck so far, and it's not looking good. I just don't understand the rationale behind doing something that is guaranteed to piss off the early adopters (and probable evangelists for the system).

If the "compensation" offer had been per CR100, rather than per system, then I think it would not have been seen in such a negative light. And, despite my anger at this decision, I think that £100 per CR100 would have been a generous offer for hardware that is ten years old, or more. Despite that, I'd rather have my CR100 controllers working than "compensation". Add me to those who would like a legacy version of the software going forward, without the risk of it being accidently updated. Ideally, I'd like a password that must be supplied before an update is possible. That way, somebody couldn't accidently "improve" my system without my consent.

I also would like an answer to the "is this a safety recall or not?" question.

I'm not one of those who think that the UI of the CR100 is exemplary. For example, burying the power-off function four levels deep (System Settings -> Controller Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Turn Off Controller) ... Really? Turning it off is "advanced"? And text input has always been clunky. But, despite its faults, the CR100 is rock solid reliable. When my other controllers are having a bad day and reporting that they can't see any sonos components at all (happens once or twice a month) my CR100 controllers have NEVER had a problem.

I can't claim that the CR100 is my main controller. These days, I'm much more often to be found using a tablet or phone to select music —except, of course, when the damn things can't see the zoneplayers. But there is one use case where they are in regular, everyday, use by my wife: coming down in the morning and turning on the radio. She really doesn't want to faff around looking for her phone/tablet, fire up the controller app, select the radio station and then start it up. She wants an "on" button. For that one use case there is an answer: the iPort xPRESS audio keypad. Programming the radio station as the top favourite means that she can come down in the morning and turn everything on with a single button press. By coincidence, it is priced at 1p less than the compensation figure Sonos are offering and is available at the one place where the compensation voucher must be spent. It isn't a replacement for a bricked CR100, but it's better than nothing and it also acts as a quick mute. [Edit: Unfortunately for some, it requires an IOS device to program, which may be a showstopper if you are in the "no Apple products for me" camp]

It is shameful that we have not been given the real reasons for the decision to brick the CR100 (the battery scaremongering is just FUD) but, as long time customers already know, Sonos have always been secretive and dictatorial. When the dictatorship is benevolent that's OK; not so much when it turns malevolent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
... and since their latest 8.4 firmware appears to have broken the ability to even attach a CR100 to a player it looks to me like they setup a great way to walk away and simply screw all owners.Do you mean that even before the upcoming April update I cannot now add a CR100 to my existing 8.4 system? I hope not, because I just bought two of these units to replace my dying CR200. :(

from my experience you may have trouble without Sonos support working their magic to setup a player on your system to "allow" it to talk.
I had just resurrected (2) CR100s from the scrap pile and they go thru the motions of trying to connect, Once I pressed the buttons on the ZP100 the remotes would shift to "setting up system" or something to that effect and after a minute of 2 fail.
(So, the remote "would" see the button press but not connect)
so to verify this issue I factory reset a long working CR100 and it did the exact same thing.
Ultimately I had to call support which setup one ZP100 into DevMode and I was able to connect all (3) CR100s back to the network.

Once you get those remotes you will need to call them ASAP.

anytime after the April update I suspect the support lines will be quite busy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
In repairing the CR100 I have come to realize:

In reading Don Ward's question, and thinking about what I have seen while actually repairing the CR100s from simple battery replacements right down to resurrecting (4) additional units from scrap parts involving surface mount soldering and screen replacements this is what I have learned.
Sonos created one hell of a remote in the CR100. the CR200 would only wish to be so well designed and assembled.

1: the Battery,
at the risk of calling Sonos "out and out liars" on the battery issues (do not hurt yourself reading between the line on this one, I AM Calling Sonos liars)
this is a hermetically sealed 3.6v Lithium battery with a very nice connector on the end of the wires. (So if it truly was NOT meant to be replaced, why was it not soldered to the board)
this is a rather low current and certainly low voltage battery. Everything made today that started the whole "Battery fire risk" issue in the media are all of higher voltage and MUCH higher current and the devices were typically created to USE the very high current (think hover-boards).
Oh, and for the board police that are going to jump all over the Samsung Exploding phones, that was a bad battery design and manufacture, I will submit to the court for consideration that after these long 12+ years of use I have no evidence of "battery failure or fire" from the CR100.
As a matter of fact, all the very old batteries in my junk pile were simply DEAD, and did NOTHING when reconnected to the charger as they were designed with monitoring circuits for temperature and charge current monitoring during charge.

Only risk I have seen:
there was one thing I noticed on a number of remotes that had me thinking it was "battery related" but now I realize it was not.
I found this to be typical in the CR100 and the ZP100, these units all have MOV's (Over-voltage protection, or surge protection) built in them.
An MOV will short itself out in the event of an over-voltage spike, IE: lightning hit or power surge.
I DID find about 50% of my scrap units (I had bought a pile of junk CR100 a couple years ago, they came to me as scrap) had an interesting "melting" of the plastic on the inside, initially I thought it was the battery but then I found there was an MOV and a surface mounted FUSE on the power supply/charging circuit board.
I was even able to repair a couple of these board to bring back to life more CR100's.

This MOV protection is built into the ZP100s and I will assume most others. On the CR100 its a rather low voltage unit since it only get 6V from the charger, on the Players its line voltage.
Best Advice I can give everyone that would like to limit the damage to ALL of the Sonos Gear, place a good surge protector on EVERY item you are plugging into power, this way if the surge happens it will easier to replace the external protector than repair the unit.

As for the CR100, the Power Supply / Charging board was very well designed, I never once saw anything to suggest the batteries were even able to "overheat" or cause fires.
an MOV committing hari-kari (as its designed to do) doing its job during an surge situation will short itself out, could create a small amount of heat and in the end blow the soldered fuse on the board. (as its designed to do)

in the end, and much to Sonos's dismay, these units do not die of natural causes, surges will kill them, and even if the battery is dead due, due to the design of the charging circuit you can leave the charger connected and the unit simply works.

Battery failure fire issues, not in what I have seen, Sounds like they are using Fear to get people to toss out something they simply no longer want to support.

if I am wrong Sonos, show me otherwise, please.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Well done all- 2000 posts!

The biggest thread in the history of the forums?