Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
In 2015 Sonos was installed in over a million households in the U.S. alone; they must know exactly how many CR100s they're still serving updates to. From the 350 signatures on the petition one might guess that they have correctly made a calculated decision that they can afford to lose these customers — and in practice even most of them will probably just suck it up. I've asked Sonos support about open sourcing the CR100, and they say it's not something they would look to do “right now” (which begs to ask if not *now*, then when?).

I remain a little mystified that they're being so intransigent about killing the product; one would think that open sourcing it would be a relatively low effort PR win for them; if the community fails to keep it going then it's not even Sonos' fault any more, just proof that the CR100's time has come.

For myself I last bought Sonos hardware in 2013: both second hand CR100s and new amplifiers. With only one device in the house capable of running the controller app, and given that there's no way I can find that device, enter the PIN, start the app, connect to the network, find the room and hit pause in the time it takes for my phone to ring out, I don't understand how non-dedicated controllers are regarded as sufficient. Depending on how long things continue to work after lockdown to 8.4 I'll be interested to see how others' experiences with alternative systems go.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Dear Sonos

I say AMEN to keviwil0 - I brought my Sonos system in 2004 because I am disabled with a spinal cord injury and it was THE system that gave me access to radio and my music anywhere in our old large house. The CR100 was an integral part of this choice as my hands have limited function but the design of the CR100 was so clever that I could access everything. Of course I can use the app on my PC or Tablet but NOT by my bed. I've never been able to hold or use a phone (it falls out of my clumsy hands) so basically I'm stuffed! Thank you Sonos! I wish I could withdraw all the recommendations I have made for you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I have 6 CR100 devices. I was one of the first to buy the AMP/CR100 combos. I invested quite a bit of money into these. And now, you just toss them in the trash. I don't believe to whole battery overheats issue. All 6 of my controllers have been plugged in for years. Same on Sonos. We should ship all the dead CR100's to Patrick Spence.

But here's the worst part - only 1 coupon per household? Why?

Pretty much like you, I invested at the beginning and had 8 CR100s of which 6 remain still working on original batteries. It's not even as if I've bought anything second hand which may have mitigated my forthcoming loss.

And to cap it all I bought a pair of Sonos Ones just before they announced the bundle on them. It's not like I need to have salt rubbed in the wound again by buying more.

Thanks a lot $ONO$. (:
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sonos Lockdown Procedure Update

Many thanks for all your hard work and generosity in putting this together. I have now locked down all my Sonos components and controllers, with a heavy heart.

What a deplorable way of treating loyal customers.

T

You're welcome and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments regarding Sonos treatment of loyal customers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

350 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index70.html#post16217266
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Dphilips63 is right to suggest that 3 months is too short a time to kill off the CR-100

No offence to Ikrananka but 350 signatures on a petition ain't many if Conrad_1's statement "In 2015 Sonos was installed in over a million households in the U.S. alone" is true. I read this to mean a million users since Sonos was born, ie lots of people out there still using their very reliable CR-100s

How many CR-100 users are there still globally? 350? Thousands? Maybe hundreds of thousands? Only Sonos knows.....

If some of these CR-100 users are like me, they'll use their system a fair bit but it won't get hammered. They see no need to upgrade software at every release or add new hardware. I haven't bought any kit since 2008, this time last week I was on 7.4.

They might decide in 6 months that it's time for a software upgrade (just in case) and then bang - too late - they are on version 8.5 or whatever and out of action.

I fear for them. For the record, I never received the email advising the demise of the CR-100 although I regularly receive sales pitch emails from Sonos, the last being 9th Feb. So I am on "their system", they know I own a CR-100 or 3.

I only stumbled across this thread because funnily enough I was searching for info about changing a CR-100 battery.

I think Sonos will get seriously bogged down in the support dept. not just in April when the kill switch is activated but months & months down the line as the casual user upgrades.

350 signatures suggests only 350 people want to keep their CR-100 or the majority have no idea of what's going on here. I suspect the latter.

How to better "connect" with this latter group as Sonos might say?

I'm no Internet boffin but surely there must be a way to push a message on to a CR-100 screen from Sonos HQ regardless of what version it is at?

Of course, I may be wrong in all this - maybe there are just 350 CR-100 users left in the world?

I doubt it very much!
I have only just heard about this issue and found this forum. Is there any major update to what is on the first page.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Welcome aboard.....

No major update.

Out of interest to others, how did you hear about this issue?

To summarise:

1. Accept future firmware upgrades from Sonos and lose your CR-100s

- OR -

2. Lock your system before the end of March to protect your CR-100 from future upgrades but lose out on new features and potentially lose streaming services at some point down the line.

Ikrananka wrote a guide to do this here https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index70.html#post16217266
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Message to Ryan S

2 things,
this message board is messed up and showing me detail that is not what I clicked, does not show the edit option any longer, and will not remove the private message reminder once I read the messages.
perhaps you need to kick the server or reboot it to fix things....

and lastly, the last message I sent to the list was put into "message review purgatory" and simply shared some detail on Sonos's direction toward Custom Integrators.
should not be something Sonos is embarrassed about, unless they do not want the CI community to know what they are doing to CR100 owners.

do you think you can resolve both of my issues?
[...] I'm no Internet boffin but surely there must be a way to push a message on to a CR-100 screen from Sonos HQ regardless of what version it is at?

Already done...

A message to all CR100 owners

We’re trying to reach as many people as possible, and so we are leveraging several methods to ensure everyone is informed of our update coming in early April that will disconnect the CR100 from Sonos systems. The update today includes a message visible on all CR100 controllers to inform owners of information they might have missed already in this forum or via email. For the discussion and main thread about this change to the CR100, please see this thread.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-8-4-inbox-and-alexa-for-canada-6803454
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
[...] I'm no Internet boffin but surely there must be a way to push a message on to a CR-100 screen from Sonos HQ regardless of what version it is at?
Already done...

We’re trying to reach as many people as possible, and so we are leveraging several methods to ensure everyone is informed of our update coming in early April that will disconnect the CR100 from Sonos systems. The update today includes a message visible on all CR100 controllers to inform owners of information they might have missed already in this forum or via email. For the discussion and main thread about this change to the CR100, please see this thread.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-8-4-inbox-and-alexa-for-canada-6803454

Yeah I know that, I'm talking about casual users who might be at, say, 7.4 now and then decide to upgrade "just in case" in 6 months time. Or buy a new piece of kit in 6 months time.

They will never have known about the CR-100 issue and end up on 8.5 or later with dead controllers.

That's why I said "surely there must be a way to push a message on to a CR-100 screen from Sonos HQ regardless of what version it is at"
[...] That's why I said "surely there must be a way to push a message on to a CR-100 screen from Sonos HQ regardless of what version it is at"
Well, if someone values their CR100 indeed as much I'm sure they get the message.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Already done...

Yeah I know that, I'm talking about casual users who might be at, say, 7.4 now and then decide to upgrade "just in case" in 6 months time. Or buy a new piece of kit in 6 months time.

They will never have known about the CR-100 issue and end up on 8.5 or later with dead controllers.

That's why I said "surely there must be a way to push a message on to a CR-100 screen from Sonos HQ regardless of what version it is at"

I agree with this thought and have stated this before.
how many users are a bit more casual, or like I have gear in a building/pool shed that (in there case) is only used in better weather. I had to bring all the gear in and get it upgraded along with the rest before the lock down.
For all of those that do not have active systems at the moment, or have not upgraded for many reasons in the past year, they are NOT going to get the news about the demise of the systems until its pushed out and then find they no longer have a way to control their devices.
I am thinking there must be some that have a PC or 2 loaded for setup of libraries but then only run the system using the CR100, they are going to be SOL.

the blanket termination of any device by a manufacturer, where the total decision was made by the manufacturer, and then pushed on everyone WITHOUT any sort of OPT-OUT or ability PROVIDED BY THE MANUFACTURER to choose a different path or sit still is not right, and most likely not legal, and certainly not moral or "good-will" building.
this could likely turn into the single largest decision by Sonos that HELPS their competition.

Screw me once shame on you, there will not be a screw me twice.......
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
the blanket termination of any device by a manufacturer, where the total decision was made by the manufacturer, and then pushed on everyone WITHOUT any sort of OPT-OUT or ability PROVIDED BY THE MANUFACTURER to choose a different path or sit still is not right, and most likely not legal, and certainly not moral or "good-will" building.... this could likely turn into the single largest decision by Sonos that HELPS their competition.
This entirely unnecessary episode / drama / whatever eerily reminds me of the "new coke" corporate history that the Coca-Cola company would likely like to forget ever happened. Giving your customers a choice always sits better than pretty-much dictating a course of action to them. Whether it's legal or not, that is not for me to decide. However, the potential impact on customer goodwill is likely going to be material.

Furthermore, I expect the 'awakening' of the customer base will happen in stages. There will be the daily users who notice early but given how popular Sonos is for vacation homes, etc. I expect this will be an ongoing issue going into next year. It's going to be an unhappy year for the customer support team; especially if Sonos keeps relying on its fanbase community to come up with semi-coherent CR100 substitutes.

How hard is it to put together a good guide that allows the customers to follow along as they learn how to program an Android-based CR100 substitute? Give them the specifics. Not everyone is or aspires to become an Android expert. Or, ship a fully pre-configured one from Sonos for a reasonable price. It doesn't have to cost much and it helps the customers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Since I never received it, I'm curious about the email sent out by Sonos advising owners of the demise of the CR-100

Was its subject line:

"ATTENTION CR-100 OWNERS, YOUR DEVICE WILL BE DISABLED SOON"

or was it:

"Important announcement from Sonos"

Seriously, one is likely to read & react to the first, and ignore the second.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Or, ship a fully pre-configured one from Sonos for a reasonable price. It doesn't have to cost much and it helps the customers.

It costs more than zero though.

There's a thought - get rid of the useless £100 / $100 / €100 voucher offer and simply send all registered & active CR-100 users a pre-configured Android tablet.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I have never read the Sonos terms and conditions but does anyone know if there is anything in there that states they will not support the customer unless they are running the latest firmware?

We here know what's going to happen, many likely don't.

More support headaches for Sonos in the coming months I feel.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
get rid of the useless £100 / $100 / €100 voucher offer and simply send all registered & active CR-100 users a pre-configured Android tablet.

I don't expect them to send me something new. However, I don't accept that they will knowingly disable working hardware in my home that I legally purchased and am using legally.

To me, disabling the CR100 is the tip of the iceberg when the much bigger issue is that the company does not really allow their customers to effectively control the hardware in their home. We have a extremely limited choice re: the firmware that runs our devices, more accurately speaking we merely get block updates. However, go down that path and future component additions or later iOS Apps become incompatible. In other words, staying put re: a firmware is difficult at best, especially in the long run.

However, I imagine that getting rid of the hardware players was a big part of this vision - the hardware players were only too happy to do what they did. They were too reliable. They didn't need constant firmware updates to function. As a result, the firmware churn that Sonos relies on to expose its customer base to new features (and presumably future income streams) is much more easily implemented with an App-dominated program (because people have gotten used to updating their apps all the time).

Sonos will likely shoot itself in the foot with its most loyal customer base over this forced obsolescence issue. However, the bigger issue long term is one of control - who gets to decide what my music player can and can't do? The OEM that sold it years ago and that keeps tinkering with its innards or I, who legally own the gear? The competition has figured how to give their customers a choice re: what runs on their music players; it's too bad that Sonos has not.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
get rid of the useless £100 / $100 / €100 voucher offer and simply send all registered & active CR-100 users a pre-configured Android tablet.

I don't expect them to send me something new. However, I don't accept that they will knowingly disable working hardware in my home that I legally purchased and am using legally. To me, disabling the CR100 is the tip of the iceberg when the much bigger issue is that the company does not really allow their customers to control the hardware in their home. We don't have choice re: the firmware that runs our devices, we merely get block its worst potential impacts.

The competition has figured this out; too bad that Sonos will likely have to weather a ton of customer unhappiness when the next firmware revision is released and a bunch of unprotected hardware goes offline.

It was a kind of tongue in cheek remark of how Sonos might have handled the situation better, especially for the casual user.

Don't get me wrong - I am firmly in your camp. I'm locked down and ready but that doesn't make it feel right - quite the opposite in fact
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Apologies, I edited the original post a bit to focus on the customer choice bit.
Userlevel 2
Forced obsolescence of this device is illegal !!! Safety concerns for battery overheat is a legal smoke screen for killing the CR 100. Sonos shame on you !!! Have Ford or Mercedes ever taken your car keys away at 10 or 15 or 20 years of age so you car is stuck in the garage or a "safe waste disposal site as recommended by Sonos". You bet No , they value their loyal customers too much to be so stupid or provocative. I have 9 zones and 3 CR 100s and 2 CR 200s plus tablets and PCs, all in regular use. The investment is enormous, and my loyalty over the 13 years has been unwavering, I almost consider myself a UK founder member having recommended Sonos to many friends and family members. Do I want to press multi buttons on a beeping phone by my bedside ,no. Do I want to hand a phone around at grown up dinner parties and grandchildren's birthday parties, no. CR100s and 200s are tactile , special in the hand, a cut above the competitors kit at social gatherings.
The compensation on offer is derisory, after taking the proposed discount and paying the difference for a One, Sonos has even covered their costs of the offer. I don't need a One, I need a classy tablet replacement, 3 actually. Very clever people/ accountants at work here, all because it is too costly for them to keep out kit going, rubbish. Get away with this derisory compensation offer and life then becomes easy to kill the CR 200 which I am sure is also next on the agenda and soon to follow.
Am I angry , you bet I am angry, and rightly so. Come on Sonos community lets raise the heat , we want dedicated replacement tablets at rock bottom prices to be our new controllers. Check out Sonos's parent company, my goodness they have money to do the right thing by us LOYAL SONOS customers. Dave
Sonos' "parent company"??? Sonos' "parent company" is . . . Sonos. :?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Get away with this derisory compensation offer and life then becomes easy to kill the CR 200 which I am sure is also next on the agenda and soon to follow.

It might be the CR200 which is next to be shot. But equally it might be the ZP80 and ZP100 which (see p65) seem to have the same CPUs as the CR100. Before the fanboys start putting the boot in, this isn't FUD, it's a reasonable interpretation from the following statement from Sonos Support:

"We don't have any news to share at this time for the ZP100 but we strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible. As we add new features, older products may have more limitations."

T
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Get away with this derisory compensation offer and life then becomes easy to kill the CR 200 which I am sure is also next on the agenda and soon to follow.

It might be the CR200 which is next to be shot. But equally it might be the ZP80 and ZP100 which (see p65) seem to have the same CPUs as the CR100. Before the fanboys start putting the boot in, this isn't FUD, it's a reasonable interpretation from the following statement from Sonos Support:

"We don't have any news to share at this time for the ZP100 but we strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible. As we add new features, older products may have more limitations."

T

the more I talk to buddies in the convergence and integration business the hype today is "Voice Control"
every vendor in the market is pushing voice as the total replacement for "sliced bread" not just better than.....
Personally I am not a fan, and most of my buddies agree that while voice can be useful, its should not be a replacement for good. well created and ergonomic controls.

With that said I also want to suggest everyone do a search for:
wir-sonos-feeling-confident-future-integrators
I tried to post an actual link to the site this morning but it went to "moderator purgatory" and never saw the light of day.
Sonos has been "accepted" into the "Custom Integrator s Channel" and in turn they have promised the farm to doing all that is needed with their API's to make it all work.
the CI channel is 100% into voice control, so you connect the dots.

AFAIK this is a sign that Sonos is willing to toss all previous owners that actually consider their hardware controls as being a primary item that makes the Sonos so good under the bus as they drive down the road to Voice Control and interfacing to the entire much larger Whole-Home Integration product base that has now welcomed them to the club.
this may change the business and re-seller model as well, but only time will tell on that one.

Sonos wants to tell us "Its all for our safety" and then "its an aging CPU" but the writing appears to be on the wall. They are after going towards the future, which I have no issues with. however, in that process they MUST find a way to keep their existing client base operational as expected. I am sure they had to evaluate every option and have decided down the FUD and Fear coarse of action.

Without a doubt, the ZP80/ZP100/CR200 are next to go as they will want everything to be "voice enabled", so I may need to include most all of the first gen product. this would add the Play3, Play5 first gen as well.

Unless they come up with a method to allow us, the buyers of their product, a choice to follow or stay put, its only going to be a matter of time before this stuff no longer functions as expected.

Sonos Management, it would be really nice if you came out from behind YOUR walls and actually tried to have a conversion with this small group of users that have expressed their total anger to your current direction.
Or are you so sure that come April all Hell is not going to break loose?

Only Sonos can truly allow us to remain happy customers of theirs, if they are interested.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Without a doubt, the ZP80/ZP100/CR200 are next to go as they will want everything to be "voice enabled", so I may need to include most all of the first gen product. this would add the Play3, Play5 first gen as well.

You mean all current products save for the One, since that's the only one voice capable.

Come up with a new theory or start thinking about what Sonos says might actually be what it is....