Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a random question and it's this: Of the CR-100 users active in this thread, when did you last purchase a piece of Sonos kit?

2018 A Playbase and 2016 a Play:3
Userlevel 2
Like stated before my ZP80 could also be obsolete so I took a bold step. With the voucher of €125,- bought a new Play1 for little money and sold my ZP80 and 3 Play1s including the new one. And immediately bought a Bluesound Node 2 for the living room. Soundwise it is a step forward even with my seperate DAC. And the nice part is that you can use any remote control to navigate the Node 2. So volume up and down, next track, play, pause, etc. Even 5 presets for the internet radio channels I mostly use can be configured. I use my Marantz RC from my amplifier which has a lot of unused buttons. I’m happy and my wife is also happy because this is almost as easy as using the CR100. Everything else is in the BlueOS app ofcourse, which has come a long way and is on par with the Sonos app now.

Just saw your post. How do you like the Node 2? I am really interested in this.

Any limitations on the number of mp3s?

How about the radio stations?

I like the Node 2 very much, like stated the sound quality is way better, although I mostly listen to .flac files and CD quality streaming from Deezer Hifi.
Finally able to play high res files as well and even some MQA files from 2L.no ( the Nordic sound). The app is ok too, it’s some getting used to maybe, but it works fine for me, Bluesound can index much more files than Sonos, no problem. I listen to TuneInn radio, all the local stations are available over here in the Netherlands. I’m glad to switch to Bluesound, will only miss the Play1 speakers. but since I didn’t use them in party mode I get me 2 nice Bluetooth speakers which will do the trick for the family. And maybe one Pulse Flex which I find too expensive for now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
There are two weeks, in theory, to go before the coffin nail is hammered in.

Two things will happen come April fool's day....

1. Sonos will announce a big PR gesture stating that the overwhelming outpouring of grief has swayed their decision and support of the CR-100 will continue.

2. They will do bugger all.

Who knows?

They know exactly what kit all registered users own.

I have a random question and it's this: Of the CR-100 users active in this thread, when did you last purchase a piece of Sonos kit?

I shall go first: - 2008

A Boast - 2017

Make that a Boost in 2017, no idea how to edit a post on this new and Sonos "improved" forum. 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
As best as I can tell, the Node 2 and PowerNode 2 can pretty much do everything a Connect and Connect:Amp can do, at similar price points. They have more interfaces (for whom that matters), more software upgrade options, and so on. For some, the addition of a Vault 2 is the cherry on top as it obviates the need to set up a NAS.

Thanks for the summary. The older I get, the more difficult it is to summarize for myself. There seems to be quite a bit of a price difference, but I'm ok with that. $1200 for the Vault is a bit pricey. I already have a small server at home and a PC with more than enough storage.

This does look like pretty slick equipment. But, we are off topic here. So, I'm gonna go shopping and see what I can find.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

336 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index58.html#post16214602

Many thanks for providing this. I found that if I blocked port 4444 I couldn’t access internet radio so I’ve had to re-open that port. At present I’ve only blocked update.sonos.com and the online update isn’t working (hooray) so hopefully that is me locked down.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

336 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index58.html#post16214602

Many thanks for providing this. I found that if I blocked port 4444 I couldn’t access internet radio so I’ve had to re-open that port. At present I’ve only blocked update.sonos.com and the online update isn’t working (hooray) so hopefully that is me locked down.

That is very strange regarding blocking port 4444 stopping internet radio. That was not my experience but I didn't test extensively. According to the official list of ports that Sonos uses (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692/kw/list%20of%20ports), port 4444 in only used for the Sonos update process. But as others have mentioned in this thread, the list of ports and their descriptions may well not be accurate or complete.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Having blocked port 4444 myself, I've just checked internet radio - all works OK
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sonos Lockdown Procedure Update

I have updated my Sonos lockdown procedure to include details of how to prevent the Sonos app from being auto-updated on Android systems (thanks to stevecomp3 for the information). I have also added a comment to the procedure recommending that you do not update to v8.4 if you haven't already done so.

My procedure for locking down a Sonos system to prevent it from bricking your CR100 controllers includes instructions on:
  • How to create "legacy" backups of all of the current desktop, iOS and Android apps.
  • How to lockdown your Sonos system to prevent updates.
  • How to install your "legacy" Sonos apps onto iOS and Android devices bypassing the Apple App store and Google Play store.
The procedure can be downloaded from here : https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkusSFHlKO4LnC8apkaX7t1lSA81

I don't have an Amazon device and as such the procedure does not include specific instructions for Amazon devices or the Amazon Appstore. If someone is willing to create such a procedure then I'd love to add it to mine.

Note: the previous revision of the procedure is now offline and the links I previously posted to the procedure will now not work. Please use the new link provided above.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Having blocked port 4444 myself, I've just checked internet radio - all works OK

Thanks for the confirmation.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Thanks for the summary. The older I get, the more difficult it is to summarize for myself. There seems to be quite a bit of a price difference, but I'm ok with that. $1200 for the Vault is a bit pricey. I already have a small server at home and a PC with more than enough storage...This does look like pretty slick equipment.

I'm not surprised they're charging that much... it's basically a PowerNode2 with a 2TB hard drive and a built-in CD drive so you can rip your entire music collection without the need for a separate computer. Start adding up all the components, software, etc. needed plus add the usual markup and $1400 for the solution does not seem that out of line. Put another way: Do you think a typical CR100 contained hundreds of dollars worth of components or was the total build cost closer to $100?

Don't get me wrong, the Vault 2 is not for me; I prefer ripping my music, adding album artwork as needed, etc. myself but for some, the convenience of a appliance-like experience is exactly what they're looking for. I similarly don't get the current obsession with streaming music and voice control instead of owning music content and exercising your fingertips...

However, the Vault is not needed to run a network of (Power)Nodes. It can be as simple as attaching a Fat32-formatted USB hard drives directly to a (Power)Node and serving up the content that way, which is even less expensive / complicated than using a NAS to do the same.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I have also added a comment to the procedure recommending that you do not update to v8.4 if you haven't already done so.

Like Stevecomp3, I updated all my kit to 8.4 since I have a ZP100 which had been offline for about 12 months. After some thought and much reading, I didn't want to bin the ZP100 so bit the bullet...

For those joining the forum late, the message on the CR100 after the update to 8.4 reads (in part):

"Due to its aging internal components, we will release a software upgrade in early April that will no longer support the CR100"

Thus suggesting that 8.4 is fully supported for the CR100 by Sonos and would warrant full tech support from them (and fixes) if it became subsequently "bricked" whilst still running 8.4
I have 6 CR100 devices. I was one of the first to buy the AMP/CR100 combos. I invested quite a bit of money into these. And now, you just toss them in the trash. I don't believe to whole battery overheats issue. All 6 of my controllers have been plugged in for years. Same on Sonos. We should ship all the dead CR100's to Patrick Spence.

But here's the worst part - only 1 coupon per household? Why?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I have also added a comment to the procedure recommending that you do not update to v8.4 if you haven't already done so.

Like Stevecomp3, I updated all my kit to 8.4 since I have a ZP100 which had been offline for about 12 months. After some thought and much reading, I didn't want to bin the ZP100 so bit the bullet...

My recommendation to not upgrade, if not already done so, is primarily because upgrading to 8.4, in my opinion, adds no useful functionality to those locking down their system. My understanding is that the warning message is shown a total of five times, but there is no guarantee that it will not be repeated at further intervals in the future. So, no harm in upgrading to 8.4, just potentially undesirable if the message does indeed repeat itself in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

1. Sonos will announce a big PR gesture stating that the overwhelming outpouring of grief has swayed their decision and support of the CR-100 will continue.

Who knows?

A Boast - 2017

Make that a Boost in 2017, no idea how to edit a post on this new and Sonos "improved" forum. :D

TJRL,
I just figured this one out today myself, you can click on the "3-dot" menu item on the bottom right corner of the post that you posted and you will see "edit" as an option.

Might be able to fix some of my typos now as I go along.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My recommendation to not upgrade, if not already done so, is primarily because upgrading to 8.4, in my opinion, adds no useful functionality to those locking down their system. My understanding is that the warning message is shown a total of five times, but there is no guarantee that it will not be repeated at further intervals in the future. So, no harm in upgrading to 8.4, just potentially undesirable if the message does indeed repeat itself in the future.

I would agree on this as well, if all of your stuff is already at a running version then lock it down.
I had old broken gear that thanks to Sonos is now all working but needed to be upgraded to even get to where everything else was, at that point there was no looking back, it all had to be brought to the same level.

Had to remember to get the Play5's and Pool Shed gear out as well, a couple months ahead of time at this point.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For those joining the forum late, the message on the CR100 after the update to 8.4 reads (in part):

"Due to its aging internal components, we will release a software upgrade in early April that will no longer support the CR100"

Thus suggesting that 8.4 is fully supported for the CR100 by Sonos and would warrant full tech support from them (and fixes) if it became subsequently "bricked" whilst still running 8.4

John,
that "warning" so will go away after 5 showings... but I have no idea if it will reappear sometime down the road or due to a reset, etc.....
so far so good on the 8.4, and all the gear appears to be working just fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the confirmation.

Same here, but as of sometime least year the local "I-HeartRadio" stations were no longer playing on general "Radio" and I assumed they are just forcing users to use the I-Heart portal.
So there are the known local stations that are listed on I-Heart that will not play unless I use my I-Heart account.
I would suggest port 4444 is not related to the Radio stream, and I was going to link to the same document from Sonos Support on the ports and web addresses but I saw someone else already did.

hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have updated my Sonos lockdown procedure to include details of how to prevent the Sonos app from being auto-updated on Android systems (thanks to stevecomp3 for the information). I have also added a comment to the procedure recommending that you do not update to v8.4 if you haven't already done so.

My procedure for locking down a Sonos system to prevent it from bricking your CR100 controllers includes instructions on:
  • How to create "legacy" backups of all of the current desktop, iOS and Android apps.
  • How to lockdown your Sonos system to prevent updates.
  • How to install your "legacy" Sonos apps onto iOS and Android devices bypassing the Apple App store and Google Play store.
The procedure can be downloaded from here : https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkusSFHlKO4LnC8apkaX7t1lSA81

I don't have an Amazon device and as such the procedure does not include specific instructions for Amazon devices or the Amazon Appstore. If someone is willing to create such a procedure then I'd love to add it to mine.

Note: the previous revision of the procedure is now offline and the links I previously posted to the procedure will now not work. Please use the new link provided above.

Just to mention, Further Android tips:
I tested the Android ability to keep a copy of the App version you desire, lock down updates on JUST the Sonos App, and uninstalling/reinstalling the specific version you want and it all works.
I also found it was unnecessary to go into your android device security settings and open up the ability to install your own copy of the file. If you simply copy the App File to your Download folder and then run it on the Android device it will simply ask you "are you sure you want to run this....." and give your a defaulted check box to "allow this to happen with just this file".
so essentially it warns you and allows you to continue without having to open up the OS to all files.

My attempts to get an older Android device to work with the V8.4 hardware also showed there was no way. While I could easily find all prior version of the Sonos App on that Android Mirror website AND find the version that would install on my older device, it would not connect to my Sonos network.

SO one additional reason to keep your system on an older Sonos version would be the ability to continue to use the Older Android devices that are no longer support and yet should likely be great Sonos Controllers.
Follow the directions on how to download the Android Mirrored Apps and you will find all previous Sonos Apps available and not just V8.4.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thought I'd video my last use of the CR100 for posterity :(

https://youtu.be/-uHVIufXIYo

loved the video, but please, wake that puppy back up and lock down your network. , still loads of life.
Can't you hear it calling out.... "I want to live".............
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
One reason to lock down at 8.4 could be to maximize the longevity of access to various radio streams that still have to get the go ahead from the Sonos mothership. Older revisions of the Sonos OS may become disconnected sooner.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I'm curious why the CR100 seems so popular in the bathroom? I cant imagine myself wanting to use a remote control whilst I'm 'doing my business' in the bathroom, be that showering, shaving, brushing teeth, etc etc. The CR100 requires 2 hands to operate, so whilst you are using the CR100, you are not actually doing what you went into the bathroom for?

Voice control maybe, eg small echo dot. The thought of taking a hand held remote control to the bathroom just seems wrong (to me).

That's exactly the point, - except the opposite way round to what you suggest... 2 of my 3 CR100's are wall mounted right next to the hand basin in my 2 bathrooms. Rarely do I need to pick it up from its cradle, so rarely do I need to use 2 hands to operate it for what I use it for 99% of the time, which is almost exclusively volume & radio station selection from a small-ish list of favourites. I adjust the volume with one hand while brushing my teeth with the other...

Compare that to having to use my phone to access the app... - it's a very poor experience in comparison.. then I definitely do need 2 hands, then I have to worry about dropping the phone ('cos I've got wet hands at this point remember) in the basin with the tap running - potentially trashing a £1000 phone (in truth I virtually never have my phone on me in the bathroom anyway, so it becomes even more of a PITA, as I have to go into another room to control the Sonos).

Compare that to having to use Alexa... - first off I have to purchase & install a dot... - I have 4 of them already, and 1 of my bathrooms does have one in addition to a CR100 (the other bathrtoom has CR100 only). Honestly... the experience is pants! - It takes 3 times as long to say "Alexa, play classic rock in the upstairs bathroom" as it does to just extend my finger to the button that's right... there... At least 75% of the time I try to control a speaker with Alexa, it fails on the first attempt, so I'm stood there repeating myself trying to find just exactly what form of words it is she will accept.

As to "why" you'd want a controller in the bathroom... - well perhaps you don't want one, but I and plenty of others do like to listen to listen to music whilst "doing the business" 🙂 And Sonos obviously thought it was a valid use case when they designed the product originally, otherwise why else make it so water resistant?

I will admit that for the use case I described in the 1st paragraph, perhaps an iPort eXpress might come close, except for one thing... - TuneIn isn't the most reliable service in the world, once or twice a month, some of their streams of some of my favourite stations is unavailable, and the screen is useful to get the feedback, to know what station is currently selected, to SEE the error message about the stream not being available. I also very frequently look at the screen to check what track is playing, so having been used to always having that screen there, I'm fairly sure I'm going to miss not having one, so again, that's a degraded user experience over what I have now.
Userlevel 1
Dear Sonos

To say I am disappointed by your actions is an understatement. I have four CR100 controllers used in bedrooms as part of a ten zone system costing many thousands of pounds. Like many other parents we do not allow any computers, smartphones, tablets and the like to be taken upstairs. This will not change. My children all have Play 5's and I love them having unfettered access to music via their CR100's with no risk at all of them accessing anything else.
Your decision to stop supporting the CR100 therefore also effectively makes three of my Play 5's and the three Play 1's my wife and I have in our bedroom and en-suite redundant as we also follow the 'no browsers upstairs' rule.
Like many others I understand that your development into voice control and so on may not be implementable on the CR100. That's fine but I don't want it anyway and never will. It's not what I bought it to do. My Sonos system does exactly what I need it to, perfectly, it cost me a lot of money, it is my property. PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE!
As for the battery concerns, I, like many others have installed new batteries so it's a total nonsense to cite this as a reason to throw all this tech in the bin.
I know I can follow your alternative and 'lock down' my system to keep CR100 functionality but equally I know full well that it will be but a short while before Spotify, for example cannot be accessed without an update to the latest (increasingly unwieldy and un-user-friendly) app.
I know also that I can buy a load of other stuff and cobble together controllers for the kids. Why the hell should I have to? I have four functioning items that do the job perfectly well as long as you keep your meddling fingers out.
I have always championed Sonos and your customer service to press has been outstanding. Now I'm left feeling cheated and angry. I am being railroaded into doing something I don't want to do or to accept that you have just consigned a lot of my perfectly functional and expensive equipment to the bin.

I doubt you will change this decision and so once I am unable to use my system any longer just as I do today it will have to be replaced and no Sonos product will ever enter my house or workplace again. Additionally I will make a point of reversing my hitherto hearty recommendation to all and sundry to invest in your products and instead advise that they stay well clear.

Your paltry offer of a voucher is of no use. In the first place it should be a voucher per CR100. In the second place you offer no viable alternative controller. In the third place it's only any use if I wanted more Sonos......ha ha ha ha dream on!

In short Sonos, this is very, very poor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Who knows?

A Boast - 2017

Make that a Boost in 2017, no idea how to edit a post on this new and Sonos "improved" forum. :D

TJRL,
I just figured this one out today myself, you can click on the "3-dot" menu item on the bottom right corner of the post that you posted and you will see "edit" as an option.

Hi stevecomp3,

Thanks for this tip, but I guess the edit option is only available for a short time as when I try clicking the 3-dot menu at the bottom right of the original post there are only two options "Link to URL" and "Flag".

But now I know about this menu I may be able to catch some of my errors before they become part of my electronic presence for all time!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Many thanks for all your hard work and generosity in putting this together. I have now locked down all my Sonos components and controllers, with a heavy heart.

What a deplorable way of treating loyal customers.

T
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Who knows?

A Boast - 2017

TJRL,

Hi stevecomp3,

Thanks for this tip, but I guess the edit option is only available for a short time as when I try clicking the 3-dot menu at the bottom right of the original post there are only two options "Link to URL" and "Flag".

But now I know about this menu I may be able to catch some of my errors before they become part of my electronic presence for all time!

I think someone needs to restart the message board software because I did "see" the ability was there, and I am not aware of a time frame to use it, but, all day into NOW I show 2 private messages waiting for me and I have already read them.
I think the message board server is as broken as Sonos's half-baked idea that we are all lemmings and will go away quietly as they shut down our controllers.
Perhaps the moderator can do something about the broken message board???