Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

... One thing I have not stated, one of the actual enduring qualities of the CR100 is the heft and size, while some may love the delicate and difficult to hold touchscreen devices I want something I can grab onto, work with, drop, pass on to anyone else (adult and child alike) and NOT have any chance they are going to be looking at a different app, email, browsing history, etc, and be able to figure it out without a manual. Not to mention the cradle and charging abilities are top notch as well.....

I can pick it up, it wakes itself up, I can visually verify what zone(s) I am working with a press a single button to simply resume playing what I was listening to, or chose something different right there. I could basically do all that while you are still opening the app and trying to see your zones.....

Sonos really did build a great example of what all control product should be, and now they are regretting it it seems.....

+1 and well said

Three good points made here:-

1 The size and robustness of the CR100 are real advantages over the touch screen alternatives including the CR200 (despite its improved Zone linking and search capabilities).

2 If I pass my laptop or smartphone to another person there is always a chance that the Sonos App get replaced with something else because one of us touches the screen in the wrong place.

3 The "flash to bang" delay from picking a controller to getting the music out of the speakers is critical to the overall user experience. Nothing beats the CR100. For those who have said that they are content with the 5 seconds or so the App based controllers take, I am happy for you. But remember the iPad was not the first tablet, one of the things that made it so successful was that Apple reduced the "boot up" time compared to all the competitor Windows running alternatives. If Sonos replaced the CR100 with a CR300 it would give them back this UPS over all the other Sonos copycat products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I owned and used a CR100 for years. Heft, convenient hard buttons, and other things aside, for anyone who ever tried to search using the CR100, "elegant" would be the last word used to describe it.

Oh, so true!! Although Sonos addressed much of the CR100's faults when they created the CR200.

Sadly for us Sonos made the CR200; small, touch screen operated, without enough hard buttons and unforgivably (from a quality control perspective) with a faulty main component (the touch screen! 😛 ).
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I owned and used a CR100 for years. Heft, convenient hard buttons, and other things aside, for anyone who ever tried to search using the CR100, "elegant" would be the last word used to describe it.

"Elegant" can mean "graceful" or "stylish" and by today's standards of user interface design, I wouldn't call it that. At the time it most certainly was elegant by those standards.

"Elegant" can also mean "pleasingly ingenious and simple" and I would absolutely call it elegant by those standards because nothing else like it exists; it serves its purpose exceptionally well; and it is simple, useful, and helpful for me.

Ok I love our CR100s and do not agree with much that jgatie has posted on the subject.

But I have to say in this instance jgatie's meaning was clear and correct. Yes, we can all garb a dictionary and "nit pick" to death the wording used, although the use of quotation marks around the word "elegant" should have stopped that. But the thrush of the post was clear and objectively not really disputable.

I seem to remember, back in the day, posting on the original Sonos Forum a few suggestions for improving the menu structure (and which button did what) on the CR100 which Sonos did not implement as they introduced the CR200 instead.

My criticism of the "inelegant" search functionality of the CR100 did not stop me purchasing more units nor pushing hard (too hard?) for its retention or replacement with another dedicated (CR300?) controller.
Anyone else a bit disappointed that from April 2018 our cr100's will no longer work? I have 4 of these and Sonos's solution is to offer me a voucher for £100 off my next Sonos purchase. Unfortunately they don't sell any controllers any more so that's not really going to help.

It looks like I'm going to have to purchase some kind of ipods or something , as I need dedicated devices that I can leave in each zone. Anyone got any suggestions of the cheapest options?
. Even worse the voucher can’t be used to purchase any “Sonos certified refurbished’ product, which is pretty insensitive treatment of its customers by sonos....
Userlevel 1
V Unhappy about this whole event, seems very much like planned obsolescence. I have 2 CR 100's as part of a 7 zone system and use them in bathrooms & outside. I have new batteries in both so the only reason they wont work is due to SONOS actions. Thanks. Glad to know you appreciate my business over the last years.
Will consign SONOS to the same bin as I dumped Apple into years ago if they continue with the action to stop the CR100. I (and many others) need water proof (resistant) control solution. Why would you reduce your system's flexibility? Don't need more functionality, just basic browse and play operations in wet and outside areas.
And a £100 voucher for store that doesn't provide the solution? thanks! I'll keep it in my chocolate teapot!
Userlevel 1
Thought I'd video my last use of the CR100 for posterity :(

https://youtu.be/-uHVIufXIYo
Userlevel 2
Like stated before my ZP80 could also be obsolete so I took a bold step. With the voucher of €125,- bought a new Play1 for little money and sold my ZP80 and 3 Play1s including the new one. And immediately bought a Bluesound Node 2 for the living room. Soundwise it is a step forward even with my seperate DAC. And the nice part is that you can use any remote control to navigate the Node 2. So volume up and down, next track, play, pause, etc. Even 5 presets for the internet radio channels I mostly use can be configured. I use my Marantz RC from my amplifier which has a lot of unused buttons. I’m happy and my wife is also happy because this is almost as easy as using the CR100. Everything else is in the BlueOS app ofcourse, which has come a long way and is on par with the Sonos app now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I'm curious why the CR100 seems so popular in the bathroom? I cant imagine myself wanting to use a remote control whilst I'm 'doing my business' in the bathroom, be that showering, shaving, brushing teeth, etc etc. The CR100 requires 2 hands to operate, so whilst you are using the CR100, you are not actually doing what you went into the bathroom for?

Voice control maybe, eg small echo dot. The thought of taking a hand held remote control to the bathroom just seems wrong (to me).
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You can buy an older android phone and use it for a controller. Also, there are inexpensive solutions to making said phone wireless charge. Lastly, there are wireless charging stands that have a nice look.

Careful with this as well, I had a barely used Intel Android Tablet, (it was a dealer demo I had gotten from Intel) would have been perfect for the use and you know it, its OS was not up-gradable AND the Sonos App would not run on it.
this is a perfect reason why I want a Sonos Remote that I will know will be kept operational and no 3rd party vendor or compatibility issue is going to kill it.
I can live with no further advances to the device, and can opt to use the PC software or an APP based device for new features, but why simply Kill off a device that up to this moment is working as perfectly as its first day?

Point being made, you will have to make sure that "older" device will actually be compatible, and you will never know which side will announce it is no longer......

That's a valid point. Some folks are just looking for solutions. Buying a used phone for $50 or less will give a good bang for the buck. Most folks who have smart phones have ones they have retired from service. In most cases, the OS can be upgraded.

If I want to keep my system and use it, I have to make a choice to upgrade my controller to something else. Eventually, replacement batteries for the CR100 are going to disappear because of lack of demand. So, what are folks going to do then?

There's really not anything that can be done about the decision to stop supporting the CR100. I accepted that fact after trading emails with the CEO and one of the Technical Support managers. I prefer to find a solution and will say goodbye to my to CR100s.

For me, the other option is to sell all of my Sonos devices. I am considering this after recently seeing a rather nice DAC. I'll miss the internet radio, but I'm sure I can find a solution to that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Like stated before my ZP80 could also be obsolete so I took a bold step. With the voucher of €125,- bought a new Play1 for little money and sold my ZP80 and 3 Play1s including the new one. And immediately bought a Bluesound Node 2 for the living room. Soundwise it is a step forward even with my seperate DAC. And the nice part is that you can use any remote control to navigate the Node 2. So volume up and down, next track, play, pause, etc. Even 5 presets for the internet radio channels I mostly use can be configured. I use my Marantz RC from my amplifier which has a lot of unused buttons. I’m happy and my wife is also happy because this is almost as easy as using the CR100. Everything else is in the BlueOS app ofcourse, which has come a long way and is on par with the Sonos app now.

Just saw your post. How do you like the Node 2? I am really interested in this.

Any limitations on the number of mp3s?

How about the radio stations?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Sonos don't want to 'move on to another control method', they just want to move on. Count me out of this ageist, beyond-parody nostalgia. I am nearly 60 but please, give me touchscreen any day, develop new services and ways for me to interact with my system.

If something changes in life you adapt. And in the grand scheme of things you are being asked to control your expensive hifi system in a slightly different way, not throw the system in the bin.

Never on this forum has there been a thread so lacking in perspective and reason. It redefines the expression 'first world problem'.

Life's too short. Good luck and goodbye.

John B,

speaking for myself I am not going to apologize for my desire to "keep things the way they are", as tech moves on (and I AM in the IT business) I get to play with all of the new product, thing is, what gives Sonos the right to make decisions on my behalf as to what hardware which I paid for, and used to actually make my purchase decision, is going to be trashed.
I say let Sonos move forward and bring Voice and further Touchscreen services into the realm, but figure out a way to either bring the hardware that they sold me along as well, OR give me the option to stay static and watch the world go past me.
Perhaps once the "new tech" becomes mature I will see a different light and WANT to move towards it, until then I did not sign up to become one of Sonos's Beta-Testers on crappy control design.

I still have a Mother that can tell me what is "safe" for me and what I should stop doing, I do not need Sonos to take her place.
instead of spending time on boardroom meetings and likely having lawyer discussions on how to present the BS story of bad batteries and weak CPU's they could have spent time on how to allow the CR100 to remain viable within the Eco-System while bringing new services and voice control to the scene.
here's a thought: If Sonos actually came out with a Control Design, either APP or Hardware that was actually BETTER Than the CR100 we would not be wasting our time on this topic and the game would be over, Sadly, they have not.

I use new tech, and I use the Sonos App on my smartphone and PC, I could also tell you that small children should usually NOT be in the room when the Sonos App is opened on the phone, may not be good for their ears.......
do not mistake the "nostalgia" talk as a sign that I do not want New tech, but isn't the "new" supposed to "improve" the old?
Touchscreen has its place, and so still does Tactile Buttons......

the case has been made, I do not care if they make any more "improvements" to what the CR100 can do, for that matter lock the thing down to old V7 code for all I care, just do not think its right to make the decision for me that the unit MUST be trashed "for my safety" that is a total line of crap.

if you cannot see that from the posts then what am I missing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I'm curious why the CR100 seems so popular in the bathroom? I cant imagine myself wanting to use a remote control whilst I'm 'doing my business' in the bathroom, be that showering, shaving, brushing teeth, etc etc. The CR100 requires 2 hands to operate, so whilst you are using the CR100, you are not actually doing what you went into the bathroom for?

Voice control maybe, eg small echo dot. The thought of taking a hand held remote control to the bathroom just seems wrong (to me).

In our household we run in "Party Mode" (all Zones linked) most of the time and when the ads come on the TV (or we just need to go!) one of us may take the opportunity to nip to bathroom and if the volume needs to be increased, grab the CR100 (one handed or leave in its wall mounted dock) and voila it is done.

No having to remember to take a smartphone with us, or waiting 5 - 10 seconds and many touchscreen presses just to get the volume up or down, after all as the OP said this is "not actually doing what you went into the bathroom for". So the CR100 is the fastest most convenient (!!) way to do this.

Of course there are many other times our bathroom CR100s get used, such as whilst having a bath and listening to the a radio podcast, I pick the CR100 off the bathroom wall and put it on the side of the bath so if I want to add some more hot water a single button press pauses playback and another single button press resumes it once the water in the bath is at the right temperature.

The CR100's waterproof feature is also of utility in kitchen not just in the bathroom, being able to grab a CR100 up and change volume, music source or just mute without having to dry my hands first is a real "like" factor and one that will be sourly missed.

We do not have Echo Dots everywhere (but we do have 7 CR100s wall mounted where we need them; hall, landing, garage, bathrooms, bedside etc.). Even if we did, I am not sure they would work effectively with the bath taps running full pelt, or that I want to have to change from a one button press operation to having to speak a whole sentence to some machine, or to have some machine listening to me in the bathroom!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

In our household we run in "Party Mode" (all Zones linked) most of the time and when the ads come on the TV (or we just need to go!) one of us may take the opportunity to nip to bathroom and if the volume needs to be increased, grab the CR100 (one handed or leave in its wall mounted dock) and voila it is done.

No having to remember to take a smartphone with us, or waiting 5 - 10 seconds and many touchscreen presses just to get the volume up or down, after all as the OP said this is "not actually doing what you went into the bathroom for". So the CR100 is the fastest most convenient (!!) way to do this.

Of course there are many other times our bathroom CR100s get used, such as whilst having a bath and listening to the a radio podcast, I pick the CR100 off the bathroom wall and put it on the side of the bath so if I want to add some more hot water a single button press pauses playback and another single button press resumes it once the water in the bath is at the right temperature.

The CR100's waterproof feature is also of utility in kitchen not just in the bathroom, being able to grab a CR100 up and change volume, music source or just mute without having to dry my hands first is a real "like" factor and one that will be sourly missed.

We do not have Echo Dots everywhere (but we do have 7 CR100s wall mounted where we need them; hall, landing, garage, bathrooms, bedside etc.). Even if we did, I am not sure they would work effectively with the bath taps running full pelt, or that I want to have to change from a one button press operation to having to speak a whole sentence to some machine, or to have some machine listening to me in the bathroom!!!

the CR100 in the barn/garage looks like its been doing all the oil changes itself, and never fails to work.
the fact the unit is basically "all liquid-proof" and I do not have to worry about my hands grime content like I would if I was having to pull the smart phone off my hip and wake it up is a huge plus for this use as well.

its purpose built function simply works.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Sign the petition and contact Sonos customer support and let them know what you think.

336 signatures and growing :D

https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system?recruiter=121008685&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined

Also, consider locking down your system to prevent your CR100 controller(s) from being bricked - must be done before the end of March (or the next Sonos update). Checkout my guide here : https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index58.html#post16214602
Userlevel 1
If Sonos' leadership goes forth, it is an awkward at best way to reward its most loyal customers. The only people who own a CR100 were the Sonos early adopters. I purchased Sonos in Septermber of 2007 and later added the CR100. I purchased 5 of them to outfit a large home, and if my recall is correct, there was no smart phone app available. So due to the time and technical support (i.e., cost) to continue to support the CR100, Sonos is faced with making a decision for themselves or for their most loyal customers. I have easily replaced the batteries a few times with no difficulty. Also, to offer "one coupon per family" suggests that my loyalty of purchasing 5 CR100's is also of no value to Sonos. Leadership matters and trickles down to every employee of a company, and then it diffused out to customers. What's the message you are trying to send me, Sonos?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
The thought of taking a hand held remote control to the bathroom just seems wrong (to me).

What's wrong with having a shower radio to sing to? Never installed that feature in my home but can see why people might like to.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Any limitations on the number of mp3s? How about the radio stations? Let's see some of those differences:
  • SMB3 implemented
  • Indexing capacity = 200,000 songs.
  • Same radio station choices as far as I could tell.
  • Upgrade choices for the firmware include auto-update, no update, update via USB stick
  • Trigger and IR in (good for whole house system integration, especially with legacy remotes)
  • Separate Subwoofer out on the Node 2 (not just Coax / fiber optic - they both have that).
  • Analog / Digital in on the PowerNode 2
  • Ability to attach a USB hard drive with music content

I wonder how many potential Sonos customers are choosing Bluesound instead of Sonos because of these differences alone. The big differentiator (CR100) is going away, I hear many of the CR200's appear to have failed due to touchscreen weaknesses? How many existing legacy customers will throw up their hands in frustration and adopt this system the next time something Sonos-related breaks on its own or is broken by the OEM?

As best as I can tell, the Node 2 and PowerNode 2 can pretty much do everything a Connect and Connect:Amp can do, at similar price points. They have more interfaces (for whom that matters), more software upgrade options, and so on. For some, the addition of a Vault 2 is the cherry on top as it obviates the need to set up a NAS.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos is clearly underestimating the emotional value and the huge negative impact on their image here.

If you'd announced this a year ago then emotions would have been less right now, just throwing this out with a 3 months notice is bad. Don't leave decisions like this to your technical product line manager but to someone who has an international touch with the market..

I realise @Ryan from Sonos is quiet for some time already but @Ryan how about postponing the decision for at least 9 months to give everybody slack and the market the opportunity to come with alternatives ? Can you bring this up to management ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
As long as SonosNet is still operational or the API doesn't undergo a major change, accommodating the CR100 should be no more difficult than accommodating the CR200. The commands, data exchange requirements, and so on are likely the same for both controllers. However, I don't discount the possibility that Sonos is about to roll out a major architectural change for which the company does not want to spend the resources to keep the CR100 updated.

Reviewing just the interfaces between the Bluesound (Power)Node 2 and the Connect(:Amp) seems to suggest that Sonos has been resting on it's laurels. Never mind SMB3, indexing differences, and so on.

Contrast the progress in the Connect(:AMP) series with the explosion of speaker types at lower and lower price points out there (never-mind Alexa integration). No multi-room Amp like Denon, no NAS-equivalent like Bluesound's Vault 2. Etc. The Bluesound (Power)Nodes work easily with existing IR remotes, replicating the Xport functionality at a lower price point.

All this suggests that Sonos has turned its back on this market segment and went from a niche leader to being a follower. But hope springs eternal, perhaps there is a new Connect series around the corner?

In any event, for anyone looking for a snarky comment / rant on the current CR100 situation, tune into David L. Jones youtube video (aka EEVBlog), which has been watched about 80,000 times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac1zZo7wLo8

Makes you wonder how many Sonos advertising / customer goodwill dollars are going up in smoke.
Userlevel 1
Hi. I just want to add my voice to the majority here who think that ending support for the CR100 is a bad idea. It really is not an option to not upgrade the software when you have multiple users. Any user can accidentally upgrade and then the controller is useless.

As many have said, if Sonos actually made a replacement that was simple to use, it would not be so bad.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
There are two weeks, in theory, to go before the coffin nail is hammered in.

Two things will happen come April fool's day....

1. Sonos will announce a big PR gesture stating that the overwhelming outpouring of grief has swayed their decision and support of the CR-100 will continue.

2. They will do bugger all.

Who knows?

They know exactly what kit all registered users own.

I have a random question and it's this: Of the CR-100 users active in this thread, when did you last purchase a piece of Sonos kit?

I shall go first: - 2008
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I have a random question and it's this: Of the CR-100 users active in this thread, when did you last purchase a piece of Sonos kit?

2014 - Acquired two used CR200s (because new ones were not available), two new connect:amps, set them up for a friend. The controller was a big selling feature for them. They would have preferred the CR100, but eBay didn't have a plentiful supply at the time. Had I known about the screen issue on the CR200 series, I would have looked harder.

Anyhow, anyone wondering whether this isn't getting noticed elsewhere, David Jones' EEVBlog video on just this issue (i.e. Sonos deliberately disabling the use of working hardware) has been watched about 80,000 times. Makes you wonder how many advertising dollars went up in smoke. I would post a link but Google is your friend and the last time I posted a link, the post disappeared.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

1. Sonos will announce a big PR gesture stating that the overwhelming outpouring of grief has swayed their decision and support of the CR-100 will continue.

Who knows?

The last (2) Play-1's purchased were for my daughter as she moved away to TX as a gift. She wont miss the CR100 as she preferred the App, but she "gets" the benefits of the CR100. She loves her units and they are used daily.
as for me, I purchased one of the new Play-One units in January, and once I heard of the CR100 demise by Sonos I sent the thing back for a full refund before I opened it. (thank you Amazon)
I own quite a bit of Sonos product, and would buy more, but not if I am to understand that ANY of the product I purchase can be "shut off" by the company at their whim.......
unless the thing turns to dust in my hands I expect the company to keep the unit usable. I am not saying "upgrade it and make it do more than it did when I bought it" , I am saying I expect it to work as advertised when purchased. nothing more, nothing less.
if they feel they simply cannot keep it in the Eco-System while moving the Eco-System forward, then fine, explain it to me as an adult without spreading FEAR and FUD (Thank you board trolls for that great description) and YET provide me an abiliy to choose if I want to travel down your path to future OR allow me the ability to step aside and keep my CR100 functional.
I should not have to build walls around my own system to "Protect it from its maker"

I have never seen any company do this before, Could not recommend any that did.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Who knows?

A Boast - 2017
Userlevel 2
Badge
Wow. I just found this out yesterday. I have 7 cr100’s and cradles. It’s insulting that Sonos is only giving 1 $100 credit to customers. My family uses these, as I have 4 kids and only one has an iPhone. This is crazy - and really unfair. I understand that they are old- but they have been reliable workhorses for the sonos system in our house.
The credit should be for each controller. After all - we bought all this equipment. I have a ton of Sonos devices, and I feel like chucking all of it!!!