Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Unfortunately your old laptop isn't reliant on other services/devices to work though, it can stand on its own. The CR100 is dependent on the Sonos system itself, and considering the underlying software of the system undergoes changes over the years, the support for the CR100 (and subsequently the CR200) will be harder and harder to manage.

Well, actually it is, for the most part. It can still access the web and much, much more. If the web were lost that would be different, but I have no reason to expect that - unless Mr Putin arranges it.

The Sonos system is entirely capable of further development while maintaining a long-term compatibility with earlier generations. If the management of that company have been told otherwise, then they need to revisit the matter urgently. This is a lazy, sloppy approach to 'moving on' that cannot, and should not, be excused.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Plus Sonos has upnp control support (UNIVERSAL) so why not just strip the CR100's back to that - most of the services don't work anyway on the CR100 - just keep the music library and radio and we'll be happy
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I have in the last few minutes, reached out to the BBC Click team via their FB page, and to engadget via their website, to alert them to this story, and I've given them the links back to this discussion thread. I'm going to continue to check for what other media outlets I might be able to try to garner interest with.... Please might I suggest that you all do the same... - contact your tech news outlet of choice...

It worked for Star Trek!! 🆒
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Sonos UK has a facebook page, just posted a link to this thread there.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
You know - to clarify - I love the app, we have a Sonos One and three echo dots, but you know for some reason Alexa won't play our local music library - where all our audiobooks are...

BUT...

The look on my baby's face when he's just playing with the controller and Nellie the elephant comes on is priceless (I had to play with the mp3 tags but it works)

The fact my 7 year old who is NOT allowed a smartphone OR tablet can just grab the controller and put stories on in his bedroom (and has done since he was 5)

The way you don't have to train anyone on how to use it, or give them your phone or wifi password....
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
You know - to clarify - I love the app, we have a Sonos One and three echo dots, but you know for some reason Alexa won't play our local music library - where all our audiobooks are...

BUT...

The look on my baby's face when he's just playing with the controller and Nellie the elephant comes on is priceless (I had to play with the mp3 tags but it works)

The fact my 7 year old who is NOT allowed a smartphone OR tablet can just grab the controller and put stories on in his bedroom (and has done since he was 5)

The way you don't have to train anyone on how to use it, or give them your phone or wifi password....

Absolutely! - few here are dismissing the other alternatives... - yes there have been some issues lately with the UI / UX on the latest couple of iterations of the app, but still I have the app on several iPads, and my phone, and I have the desktop controller on my PC (which has a touchscreen)... that's all fine and great, and once I got over the initial shock of the recent app redesign (I literally shouted out loud the very first time I tried to use it!), I'm perfectly happy to use those control points in the use cases where they are the most appropriate...

But.... none of those devices are going anywhere near my bathrooms, which is where 2/3 of my CR100's are - and as luck would have it, I'm actually about to embark on building a 3rd bathroom (2 teenagers in the house!) and I had plans to relocate the 3rd CR100 from its current home in the lounge (where I can use any number of alternate control options). 3 Bathrooms, 3 CR100's - sweet...

Except... Wait... what?!?!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
You can add CEDIA and TechRadar to the list that I've reached out to...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks for the feedback on the coupon. Honestly, the coupon isn't enough incentive with the possibility of other products getting discontinued support.

I'm finishing out my basement and am planning on a large screen TV or projector of some sort. I've been thinking of a sound system. The Playbar would have been the natural choice, but not now.

I see there is another thread on the CR100. Shouldn't we just be posting to a single thread? Multiple threads on the same subject is such a bad idea.
You can add CEDIA and TechRadar to the list that I've reached out to...

I’m sure they’ll be amused.
Getting rid of the CR100 is a terrible idea. I have two and use them in conjunction with my other devices. Many times it is much more convient then trying to locate my phone or ipad to get Sonos going. Sonos does not need to fully support CR100. i have no problem with them not having newer functions as long as I can still go some of the basic activities like grouping rooms, adjusting group volume, stopping play for the group and accessing my Music Library. JUST DON"T DISCONNECT THEM ENTIRELY.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Thanks for the feedback on the coupon. Honestly, the coupon isn't enough incentive with the possibility of other products getting discontinued support.

I'm finishing out my basement and am planning on a large screen TV or projector of some sort. I've been thinking of a sound system. The Playbar would have been the natural choice, but not now.

I see there is another thread on the CR100. Shouldn't we just be posting to a single thread? Multiple threads on the same subject is such a bad idea.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed... I'm following, and am active in both threads, but it would be helpful to only have a single one to deal with... If I might be so bold as to suggest the *other* one - https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510 should become the main one... I'm not biased, but that thread is longer, has more posts, *and* is the one I've linked to in all the emails I've sent (and am continuing to send) to all the tech news/media outlets I can think of... 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
All of us who bought your products invested in hardware and your company. You are essentially abandoning the people who put you on the map. This is a bad business decision. As a buyer, I will no longer trust that you will continue to support the products you manufacture. So, that means, I will not be buying any of your products.

Here are the Sonos items:

2X ZP100
1X ZP120
1X ZP80
2XCR100
1X Bridge

I've spent a lot of money on your products.
Userlevel 2
Badge
You’ve got to be kidding, Sonos. CR100 controllers are terrific. How can you do this to your customers? Give us a way to keep using our CR100 controllers. If not, I’ll never buy another Sonos product again.
https://iportproducts.com/xpress/#xpress-intro
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Can anyone remember the original price of the CR100's when new? - such a long time ago, my recollection is fading, and I also bought a job lot of SONOS at a show for what was then a good price... - I Think I recall the CR100's being the wrong side of £300 each, and for that you didn't even get the cradle, - that was another £40 a pop. Top of my head maths then suggests that my 3 CR100's and 3 cradles set me back almost exactly £1000.... - and that was in the days when a grand was worth something!!

I see that even today, there are units for sale on ebay in the £150 / $150 range, so clearly they have held up well, and people still want to buy them....
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
First piece of tech press coverage resulting from my email efforts this afternoon... 🆒

http://www.techradar.com/news/sonos-finally-kills-off-cr100-controller-and-long-time-fans-arent-happy
Userlevel 3
Badge
Can anyone remember the original price of the CR100's when new?

$399US

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
No, no, no, no, no. I have two and I use them all the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I don't own a CR100 but this does affect my trust of Sonos' long history of supporting their products. Should I stop buying Play:1s now? How long until they brick those too?

Also, reading how many kids use these controllers makes me aware that Sonos has made a huge oversight to this user group. If voice control is the future, it's not here yet (especially if you're an Apple user and won't get Siri on a One).

They should support these controllers for another 5 years until voice control is the norm and has had a chance to mature.
First piece of tech press coverage resulting from my email efforts this afternoon... 🆒

http://www.techradar.com/news/sonos-finally-kills-off-cr100-controller-and-long-time-fans-arent-happy

Their Response is pretty much what you’ll get elsewhere; Ho hum:

An inevitable move?

However, with the hardware now over 12 years old and having not been on sale for over five years, the writing has been on the wall for the CR100 for some time now as smartphone control has taken over.

After an initially shaky start, Sonos's app has seen excellent improvements over the years, and is now the primary way people will interact with their multi-room system.

With Alexa support having arrived on the entire range of speakers, and Alexa being directly built into the recently released Sonos One, voice control has now joined the app as a means to control the system.
Please dont do this, I have 4 and I use them every day :@:@:@:@:@:@
Userlevel 3
Badge
Can anyone remember the original price of the CR100's when new? - such a long time ago, my recollection is fading, and I also bought a job lot of SONOS at a show for what was then a good price... - I Think I recall the CR100's being the wrong side of £300 each, and for that you didn't even get the cradle, - that was another £40 a pop. Top of my head maths then suggests that my 3 CR100's and 3 cradles set me back almost exactly £1000.... - and that was in the days when a grand was worth something!!

I see that even today, there are units for sale on ebay in the £150 / $150 range, so clearly they have held up well, and people still want to buy them....

The MSRP was $349 and DID NOT include the CC-100 overpriced cradle with an MSRP or $49
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Can anyone remember the original price of the CR100's when new?

Mine was part of a bundle that included a ZP80 and a ZP100. I seem to remember it costing in excess of $1k.

[quote=chicks]With Alexa support having arrived on the entire range of speakers, and Alexa being directly built into the recently released Sonos One, voice control has now joined the app as a means to control the system.

I am not comfortable talking to a machine. I suppose that means I will not be a big fan of robots when they start walking around the planet and self driving cars.

Pardon me for being a bit old fashioned.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Their Response is pretty much what you’ll get elsewhere; Ho hum:

An inevitable move?

However, with the hardware now over 12 years old and having not been on sale for over five years, the writing has been on the wall for the CR100 for some time now as smartphone control has taken over.

After an initially shaky start, Sonos's app has seen excellent improvements over the years, and is now the primary way people will interact with their multi-room system.

With Alexa support having arrived on the entire range of speakers, and Alexa being directly built into the recently released Sonos One, voice control has now joined the app as a means to control the system.

Yes, I agree, it's not exactly a hand-wringing condemnation of the salient points of the situation which has got us all so riled. Namely:
So what that they're 12 years old? - my 3 - having each had 1 battery replacement last year, - are as good as new.
Smartphone control is "horses for courses" - no end of us have made the same point, that getting out your phone, unlocking it, swipe, swipe, tap, tap just to start a song playing is not as intuitive or elegant as "press"
Alexa voice control?? - got it... - it's crap. it's unreliable, it doesn't recognise the voices of half my family, more than half of the time she says "I can't find a device called bathroom" and inevitably I end up reaching out of the bath or shower to simply press a button on the CR100 which is mounted on the wall in easy reach of either.
I also don't have any concerns about having the CR100's in my bathrooms.... not so happy about the prospect of my new £800 iPhone in the same environment...

I could go on, but clearly we here all pretty much already know what else would be said...
Userlevel 3
Badge
My prediction is the CR-100 is not going to saved. I doubt there is anyone at Sonos who knows that platform anymore from both a hardware and software perspective. I doubt Sonos could muster up a new software build as the human knowledge base that made that happen is most likely no longer employed by Sonos.