Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
An Echo Dot does a better job than the CR100 for a good chunk of your list...
Cheers - noted but I don't own one

Also been previously mentioned (by me), but consistently overlooked (by some), the Echo devices are not supported and not officially available in all territories.

Amazon do not operate in any Scandinavian countries for example, there is no Amazon.NO or Amazon.SE, and so on... - take a look here if you want proof; https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202207000

Although there is an "international version" the only languages available (on that list) are English and German....
Sonos is sold here in Scandinavia... - I've bought 2 Play:1's in Norway for example.
I've had to import my Echo devices from the UK, and they only work in English...
Which is fine for the English-speaking world, but what's everyone else supposed to do?
English, although widely spoken & understood here - particularly by the younger generations, is not the official language, and is most assuredly not universally understood. In my day to day experience I come across people who do not (or do not like to) speak English. Also, the older generations just can't as they weren't taught it at school. - my Mother -in-law knows barely more that a few words of English, so she is totally unable to use an English-only voice assistant to control Sonos. She can, and does, however, use our CR100's perfectly happily.

When Alexa works in just 2 languages, what are people supposed to do in the rest of the world where Sonos sell their wares?
Are you going to tell the French that they *have* to speak English to control their speakers? - good luck with that one!

This is just one example of the short-sighted, parochial attitude of those who continually cover their ears and go "LA-LA-LA-I'm-Not-Listening" when confronted with perfectly rational, reasoned, and factually correct justifications as to why the current generation of voice assistants are NOT the be-all-and-end-all to the argument of our choice of control mechanism for our systems.

I suppose I should also pre-empt the inevitable "but the CR100 is only in English too" tropes that will probably be hurled back at me... That is true (AFAIK), but also largely irrelevant. The on-screen menus utilise an exceedingly limited vocabulary, can be memorised by position, and don't even need to be used for basic transport & volume functions - the play/pause/stop/vol iconography used on the hard buttons is as near to globally universal as anything is possible to get. As an IT consultant who has worked for customers all over the world, I can tell you, that I don't struggle too much, after a bit of orientation, to work on GUI based systems in other languages... Windows UI's are pretty recognisable in any language, and so it is with the far-more limited UI elements on a CR100.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
After all we're talking about an inanimate electronic device that Sonos ceased selling nearly a decade ago and whilst man are perfectly entitled to be cheesed off, the end of the world it most certainly ain't.
Stuart, it's pretty obvious that the issue goes deeper than the forced retirement of the CR100. The retirement is just a symptom of the problem.

The problem is that Sonos gives us virtually no control over our firmware and by extension, our music systems. Yes, we can block the update servers to avoid an unwanted upgrade - but even that strategy only works until a component needs a factory reset, a new component needs to be added, etc. This firmware issue was driven home by the quasi-forced CR100 retirement plan that Sonos came up with.

But not only did Sonos management rub it into our faces that they were going to disable the CR100, they had to compound it with lies. Sonos management claiming that our Sonos CR100 would immolate themselves in short order was followed by a hasty retreat once users started inquiring about this being a potential recall issue. The forced retirement plan nevertheless continued, complete with references to old electronics (as if the identical CPUs, similar RAM, etc. in the zone players were somehow younger). Going forward, how are we to believe anything from Sonos management if it is possibly in any way self-serving?

Whatever extant trust there was between the user base is simply gone. Yes, there are plenty of 'helpful', 'longtime', and extremely 'charitable' users for whom Sonos can do no wrong who keep reminding the early adopters here that they had better embrace voice control and whatever other great new features Sonos may or may not come up with... users, who incidentally could show a great deal more empathy towards folk who mind having functional, paid-for equipment disabled by fiat. That kool-aid sure is powerful...

Anyhow, the first step that Sonos management could take to rebuild trust with me is to give the user base the ability to choose the firmware it gets to run on its devices. Competitors have figured this out... and Sonos could too, if it wanted to. However, instead of giving us a choice, they keep 'making things better'... by disabling perfectly functional hardware, for example. You might be alright with that but please also recognize that a whole bunch of early-adopters here see the much larger issue than the symptom you are focusing on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
An Echo Dot does a better job than the CR100 for a good chunk of your list...
Cheers - noted but I don't own one

Also been previously mentioned (by me), but consistently overlooked (by some), the Echo devices are not supported and not officially available in all territories.

Amazon do not operate in any Scandinavian countries for example, there is no Amazon.NO or Amazon.SE, and so on... - take a look here if you want proof; https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202207000

Although there is an "international version" the only languages available (on that list) are English and German....
Sonos is sold here in Scandinavia... - I've bought 2 Play:1's in Norway for example.
I've had to import my Echo devices from the UK, and they only work in English...
Which is fine for the English-speaking world, but what's everyone else supposed to do?
English, although widely spoken & understood here - particularly by the younger generations, is not the official language, and is most assuredly not universally understood. In my day to day experience I come across people who do not (or do not like to) speak English. Also, the older generations just can't as they weren't taught it at school. - my Mother -in-law knows barely more that a few words of English, so she is totally unable to use an English-only voice assistant to control Sonos. She can, and does, however, use our CR100's perfectly happily.

When Alexa works in just 2 languages, what are people supposed to do in the rest of the world where Sonos sell their wares?
Are you going to tell the French that they *have* to speak English to control their speakers? - good luck with that one!

This is just one example of the short-sighted, parochial attitude of those who continually cover their ears and go "LA-LA-LA-I'm-Not-Listening" when confronted with perfectly rational, reasoned, and factually correct justifications as to why the current generation of voice assistants are NOT the be-all-and-end-all to the argument of our choice of control mechanism for our systems.

I suppose I should also pre-empt the inevitable "but the CR100 is only in English too" tropes that will probably be hurled back at me... That is true (AFAIK), but also largely irrelevant. The on-screen menus utilise an exceedingly limited vocabulary, can be memorised by position, and don't even need to be used for basic transport & volume functions - the play/pause/stop/vol iconography used on the hard buttons is as near to globally universal as anything is possible to get. As an IT consultant who has worked for customers all over the world, I can tell you, that I don't struggle too much, after a bit of orientation, to work on GUI based systems in other languages... Windows UI's are pretty recognisable in any language, and so it is with the far-more limited UI elements on a CR100.

BUT PAUL,
will the CR100 work in every country?? and even if the internet is down?

Of course it will.

And by the way, check the advanced settings of the CR100, there is a Language option you would see upon factory reset OR if you go to advanced settings.... so it DOES speak multiple languages.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I only found out about the CR100 being canned last week when I got a message on my controller following an upgrade to the software

One wonders how many others there are out there with a system not connected to the internet, using just a NAS drive for music. They will never receive the warning about the dangers of using a CR100. These peoples' lives are at stake, one wonders why a formal recall hasn't been issued for these inherently dangerous products.

No CEO would scrimp on a safety recall would they?
For those who’ve been ranting on about this being unique, etc, etc. How are your perfectly good 2G cellphones working? Even your much newer 3G phones will be bricked very soon. Sorry, but this sort of thing is very common with aging tech, nothing unique about Sonos doing it.

https://www.wirelessdesignmag.com/blog/2017/12/end-could-be-near-3g-united-states

Good grief, this is trolling at its worst... go away and stop commenting on a thread you clearly are taking glee at other peoples' misfortune.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Chris,
You see people choosing to leave SONOS as them "cutting off their noses to spite their face" but there is another perspective, that is SONOS are no longer offering what these customers want going forward, in fact SONOS have chosen to almost forcibly and retrospectively "downgrade" (or "upgrade" depending on your perspective) the experience of these users as such they are unsurprisingly "less than happy".

I think one user was proposing to replace their sonos system with a dedicate hardwired home automation system, others are looking to ditch older Sonos players whilst they still have resale value. If they decide on cheap disposable bluetooth speakers, Apple/google speakers, Sonos clones, or top end systems is almost irrelevant, the main point is they are saying Sonos no longer meets their needs and worse still don't seem very willing to let them keep the system running they think does meet their needs.

What they are truely asking for is choice and Sonos to respect that choice, even if that is different to Sonos path forward. They want to listen to their music, their way and they don't want anyone messing with their decisions.

I think you will find that the technical differences between these systems or the money involved are secondary considerations in their decision making process.:?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.

But you haven't been honest in the slightest! Answer me these three simple questions with direct answers:

1. If there is a battery risk, legally in the UK there needs to be a recall. Is there a battery risk?
2. With the update methodology adopted by Sonos it is almost impossible to avoid updates in future (e.g. a new phone, a new Sonos Play 1, etc.). Given this, how are users supposed to avoid updates over the long term?
3. Explain how you can talk about security vulnerabilities yet do not support SMB v2?

I am not deploying Sonos in my new house and will be selling my existing gear because you won't give straight, honest answers to the above (ready to apologise if you do...) and are demonstrating you do not value (read, invest in software engineering effort) your customers enough to code a solution to this perfectly solvable scenario.

To put it bluntly, with your actions you have lost my trust.

Your lack of response on this Sonos speaks volumes.

You can't even look your users in the eye and respond to simple questions.

Thats correct Ryan, I can no longer add Sonos products to my system, so the 4 play 1s I was to add in my garage block cannot now happen, so both sonos and I loose out because of a poor decision by sonos.

Lithium battery issue is not a legitimate excuse. I have I collection of cars, one of which is a 1990 BMW which has a pair of lithium batteries mounted in the instrument cluster. They are constantly charged, BMW have not taken a sledge hammer to my car, they have not recalled it or told me the dash will catch fire, nor issued any such warnings.Why? Because it is not an issue.

If there is a valid reason for not letting the controller remain connected to the system, perhaps eventually being reduced to only controlling the music collection I own on my NAS box, explain it, but don't roll out rubbish reasons to people who have spent thousands on your equipment.

Your decision and my desire to prevent anyone putting a sledge hammer (real or vitual) to anything I have spent good money on which still performs the tasks it was bought for now prevents me from future sonos purchases. As I said above that means we both lose. Come on, get a grip and come up with a better alternative, almost 100 pages and over 2000 comments clearly indicates its not the appropriate answer. Only a minute proportion of people are ever moved to comment in this way, so this is only a tiny proportion of the ill feeling this has created.
Hi everyone, there have been a few questions of late that we wanted to make sure to answer. I'm going to add this to the post that was marked as the answer also, so that it's up front for anyone who gets to the thread. Also, we're starting to get pretty off topic so let's try to stay on point.

We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.

This is not "Answered" in any way and sums up your approach as a company now...

Answer me these three simple questions:

1. If there is a battery risk, in the UK legally this is a safety recall which you need to undertake. Is there a battery risk?
2. Sonos have engineered their solution to make remaining on the current software release realistically impossible over the long term (new phone, new Sonos Play 1 with differing hardware, power on a device that's running older hardware, etc.). Realistically, how do you expect users to remain on a version with CR100 compatibility?
3. You mention security patches yet you have yet to add SMB v2 or v3 support, forcing your users to operate insecure environments for years. When are you addressing this?

It's clear that Sonos are not willing to invest any money (software engineering and testing time) into their products now else they would engineer a legacy route which could be done so easily.

I for one am not deploying Sonos to my new house directly as a consequence of this and will not recommend it as a solution any more. In addition, Iwill be selling my Sonos gear as I do not consider Sonos to be a company that I trust any more.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It is important to add my voice to those who are equally discontent and mutinous. We are the loyal customers who have adopted the CR100 as an integral hub of our home Sonos systems. We, as a legacy collective of CR100 owners, have been Sonos supporters since the very beginning. We are quite aware and accepting of whatever limitations of functionality you foresee for the future of the CR100 as long as there is a future. For myself, it is a beside alarm clock, a volume moderator, room dropping - song skipper/repeater but most of all – it is the BOSS – governing over the finicky, freezing, lagging IOS apps which are continuously unreliable and hogging valuable iPhone operating time. Your "battery warning" scare tactic is hogwash. As a self-confessed techno-tard, I have skillfully changed the CR100 battery with the aid of YouTube instructions

It is NOT disgraceful to change your company position on this issue. We accept that the CR100 may not operate future Sonos `bell and whistle` features, just so long as it is permitted to function. As you have already read in hundreds of posts by loyal owners, it is still a vital part of our overall Sonos experience, no matter how limited you may perceive that to be. It provides us simple and stable functionality

It IS disgraceful to turn your back on the outrage expressed in this forum. We oppose the unlawful execution of the CR100. Keep your guilty 100 bucks. We will never forget this heavy handed treatment of loyal invested customers. Our Sonos experience includes the use of the CR100 as an operational controller.

WE URGE YOU TO RE-CONSIDER THE FATE OF THE CR100 ………………
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Been a long haul to this point.

Its been a long trip to where we are now, 79 pages and almost 2000 replies on a topic that I am convinced Sonos must have known would raise the ire of many, but I am also now convinced they have made the decision, that in 2018 in order to follow the fad of Voice Control, and change the original path of the "Sonos Eco-System" more towards the "All Streaming Service All The Time" (VS the original PRIMARY purpose of Sonos which was Local File Storage) they must start to shed things that they simply DO NOT want to support any longer.

The CR100 is a Control, it is not a streaming device and only needs to control the streaming device, It also connects thru SonosNet, I believe there may be changes coming to SonosNet which is why the Players will simply no longer talk to the CR100.
I also believe there is going to be a change in "services" that Sonos will be pushing, like all other vendors. The revenue is in continued services and NOT hardware. If Sonos agrees to put out a Legacy Firmware platform for those of us that want to stay put, and keep our CR100s, then they will be having to put effort and expense to provide a continued platform that will reap them absolutely no additional revenue.
Even if Sonos does not actually provide any services themselves, they can be "partners" with service providers that in turn will pay them.

the real issue from the start was the "moral" or "ethical" decision by any company to unilaterally make a decision to end the life of a product they sold with short notice and zero option to allow the rightful owners of that product a method to keep them "As IS" and functional. In my 40+ years of working in Electronics repair, audio/Video sales, and IT Consulting I have certainly had to upgrade and replace many items BUT I have never been told by any manufacturer that as of a given date that item will no longer work.
Sonos is setting a bad precedent and I truly hope someone takes them to task for it, count me in as one to join any group in a complaint.
I would suggest that if Sonos had created that "better" controller, or the Desire to move away from the CR100 then yes, we would move. But they have not created anything better in a single purpose controller and making all of us Beta Testers as they keep trying to make the App work with Voice and new features.

I have never jump on a topic which enticed me (for the first time) to join ANY message board and speak out. I have certainly learned much more than bargained for about the "Board Police" that if they do not work for Sonos, and with their berating attitudes and "Legends in their own minds" Posting they are certainly not "helping" Sonos in making people with some real concerns "happy customers". When all is said and done I will be sure to go back to my regular life and not think about this mess at all.

somewhere in the middle of all this (and I was not really going to go here, but why not) about 4 weeks ago, my much loved Dog (See my Avatar) of only 8 years old had to be put down. this was NOT an easy decision, and there was absolutely nothing I could do, and as Kada's Owner I had to make the best responsible, ethical and moral decision for what was best for Kada, not myself.
while we are talking about "Just" a small piece of electronics in the CR100, it is something that (I will guess) at least many thousands of people use and enjoy and make it a huge part of their system. Many have taken the time to perform the required maintenance and replace the battery and we all sung the praise of Sonos and the music their hardware plays for us in our lifestyle.
I have said this in past posts, and at the risk of the board police crying foul, I will again say that Sonos has a responsibility to officially provide the buyers of their product a choice which would allow these products to work as designed. This must come from Sonos.

Only the Owners of the product should be the ones to make the decision WHEN to stop using a product and not simply find the product is no longer functional due to the manufacturers decision. If I cannot move forward with your desire to add new features and abilities AND keep my CR100, then please, let me stay the way I am and you can take that new path. But you do not have the right to shut off my gear. and until you provide an official Sonos Sanctioned option, I have not been provided one.

This entire thread has brought out a lot of passion from everyone, I do not care what the Board Police have to say on this topic I only care to hear what Sonos has to say,
In the end its not even what they say that matters, its what they do.
Their "reasons" for terminating the CR100 is a smokescreen, the real reasons we may never know, and as users we do not care, we just expect they will continue to work and life goes on.

I will end this message with a thanks to all of the other topic members that brought out some great thoughts on this topic, thanks to Dash who originally posted this topic in the first place, and my disappointment with Sonos for the entire way they handled this issue, and lack of any communication to the owners of their product, Ryan appears to have a tough job having to be the spokesman while not actually telling us anything of value and advising us to do things that officially is not recommended as an option.

I am walled up, will wait to see what Sonos does to my CR100s which will then guide me in all future dealings with Sonos, and to end on a good note, will try to look on the better things in life as I play with the new puppy we pickup tomorrow.

Sonos, your current direction shows a total lack of respect for those that want to continue using the CR100, do the right thing.
Userlevel 1
Dear Sonos

To say I am disappointed by your actions is an understatement. I have four CR100 controllers used in bedrooms as part of a ten zone system costing many thousands of pounds. Like many other parents we do not allow any computers, smartphones, tablets and the like to be taken upstairs. This will not change. My children all have Play 5's and I love them having unfettered access to music via their CR100's with no risk at all of them accessing anything else.
Your decision to stop supporting the CR100 therefore also effectively makes three of my Play 5's and the three Play 1's my wife and I have in our bedroom and en-suite redundant as we also follow the 'no browsers upstairs' rule.
Like many others I understand that your development into voice control and so on may not be implementable on the CR100. That's fine but I don't want it anyway and never will. It's not what I bought it to do. My Sonos system does exactly what I need it to, perfectly, it cost me a lot of money, it is my property. PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE!
As for the battery concerns, I, like many others have installed new batteries so it's a total nonsense to cite this as a reason to throw all this tech in the bin.
I know I can follow your alternative and 'lock down' my system to keep CR100 functionality but equally I know full well that it will be but a short while before Spotify, for example cannot be accessed without an update to the latest (increasingly unwieldy and un-user-friendly) app.
I know also that I can buy a load of other stuff and cobble together controllers for the kids. Why the hell should I have to? I have four functioning items that do the job perfectly well as long as you keep your meddling fingers out.
I have always championed Sonos and your customer service to press has been outstanding. Now I'm left feeling cheated and angry. I am being railroaded into doing something I don't want to do or to accept that you have just consigned a lot of my perfectly functional and expensive equipment to the bin.

I doubt you will change this decision and so once I am unable to use my system any longer just as I do today it will have to be replaced and no Sonos product will ever enter my house or workplace again. Additionally I will make a point of reversing my hitherto hearty recommendation to all and sundry to invest in your products and instead advise that they stay well clear.

Your paltry offer of a voucher is of no use. In the first place it should be a voucher per CR100. In the second place you offer no viable alternative controller. In the third place it's only any use if I wanted more Sonos......ha ha ha ha dream on!

In short Sonos, this is very, very poor.
Userlevel 3
This is all about trust. The trust that is established between a company and customer who has paid hard earned dollars to purchase their products. I have purchased a lot of stuff in my 60 plus years and have never, I repeat never, had a company send code to disable a perfectly working hardware product. And for the few trolls on this thread. It is the CR100 today (apparently you don't care about it) but they could disable ANY Sonos hardware in the future with a forced upgrade. Don't care about it now? I thought not.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have 5 controllers spread around the house and losing them will be a real problem. The Sonos app is really clunky and nowhere near as easy to use as the CR100. What's more Sonos completely redesigns it every year or so and it takes ages to get used to the new design. Please keep the CR100.
Indeed, the last revamp of the controller app is especially bad, moving away from a single pane to access all functions was a very bad decision in my opinion. Please move back to the screen layout as is still used on the macOS controller version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Recap:
42 pages in 14 days, I have posted a number of times to make my point, perhaps its time to regroup.
there has been a LOT of theories tossed around, and as far as I can tell:
We know we have been told the CR100 is going to killed off "for our safety", and then "its CPU is getting old and frail"
not very good excuses.

I believe its going to due to a combination of the following:
1: Technically they need more memory/resources to begin supporting the future enhancements and "Streaming as a service" model. the code base required to operate the CR100 can be reused for the new "need" (comments of how support mentioned that on the fateful day the CR100's display will just be "searching for Sonos Network" implies the firmware in the ZonePlayers will update and orphan the controllers due to lack of communication.)
2: the CR100 only connects thru SonosNet, and there could be a change coming to those protocols to support the future "service enhancements" which could not be supported with the CR100
3: Sonos at some point and time just wanted OUT of building and supporting a controller that they felt was "less featured" than the App on a Smartphone.(I will never understand NOT making a control for the product you make)

these may all be valid "reasons" why Sonos could or (in some peoples minds) "Should" kill off the CR100, but I will add:
when Many of us purchased our systems (and I will only speak for myself) we were "audiophiles" and had lots of music on many formats that we were looking to migrate to the "digital domain" and we found Sonos as the best product for the job.
this is AUDIO GEAR before its considered "Computer Technology" and while the upgrades and added features above and beyond the original purchase have been great, I have never seen any company reach a point in either Audio or Computer Tech where THEY DECIDE for us that "time is up" and "We are going to kill off the product you purchased from us" and based on my assumptions above "Because we want to change the entire mode of what our product does and the services we provide and we (Sonos) have made this decision for you"
Be it for the Streaming enhancements, or the Voice Control, or the need to change the SonosNet, they have decided the One-Size-Fits-All model is it, and we as loyal customers should sit on our hands, shut up, and continue to sing Sonos praises for knowing what is best for us.
the CR100 is a piece of hardware that as of now has worked flawlessly, I am offended that Sonos is making this decision for me and not providing me with a method to decide IF I WANT To join them in their choice to make major changes to the hardware I purchased, changes that would render a controller (I consider it a principle part of the system) trash.

If they do not want to build a new controller, then I get it. However, from the looks of these 43+ pages there are people from all over the world that would likely be interested in an "upgrade" to the CR100 if you had made one. I would suggest most CR100 users do not even yet know what is coming.
NOT allowing the users to opt-out at a critical point like this is just wrong, and I certainly have the right to express my belief and ask Sonos to Please consider a Legacy Firmware path which would require "Legacy" controller software and APPS and simply by default once they are installed will END all further updates just by the nature of it being a separate Legacy product and no further updates would come out.
Do not want to call it "Legacy"? fine, leave what we have alone and Offer up to all the customers that do not care about the CR100 OR want to move full steam ahead into your "next generation" of product to download and install a SonosV2 app to move forward.
Either way, Sonos should be giving us a choice, this is not what I purchased.

Not giving your customer base a choice will create the walling off of some of our networks, and likely disgust and selling off of gear as users look for other options, and certainly not a lot of "good reviews" from the users that have been slighted.
Sonos, if you have done the polls and stuck your finger in the wind, and made your final decision that our customer experience and expectations are expendable, then so be it. thanks for the great product while it lasted and I will wall off the gear and not possibly be able to purchase any more gear.
allow me a "legacy" path then there could still be a method to bring on new hardware and keep my system running.

we are all adults here, that was NOT a threat just my thoughts on how Sonos should be dealing with this. In MY opinion they really dropped the ball on this topic. but I am sure they could fix it if they really cared, or possibly had any worries that those of us with this "old hardware" are of any value to them.

Unless you are speaking for Sonos, please do not tell me something is too expensive or we are too small a number of people to bother with, I did not ask you, and I am tired of the Bully's and know-it-all's that are truly not interested in the CR100 being kept alive, really, why do you care other than to suggest to all of us that we should do things your way?

this is the "save the CR100" . If you want to hear yourself talk go start your own conversation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Indeed, - a couple of my 8 zones are pretty much permanently & exclusively used for TuneIn radio stations. SWMBO has been saying for ages that for at least 1 of my zones, a simple DAB radio would be "better" - she *hates* the iOS app - even more so since the last disastrous redesign, but is perfectly happy with the simple & intuitive CR100. This announcement *may well be* the straw that breaks the camel's back, and force me to acquiesce to her request to ditch the Play:1 in the kitchen in favour of aforementioned DAB radio... - could this be the trickle that starts the flood????
Userlevel 1
I got 3 old CR100 (having 9 zones) because the iOS on my iPhone or iPad was not up to date. I got 3 iphone4, 2 I-touch an 2 iPads that I can no longer use as controllers (yea, plus a pc with vista) I'm afraid that it's only Apple that are happy with this discontinuation.

Any one know of any alternative controller options. Maybe it's time to look for an alternative to sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I have just read the email about the CR100 being discontinued from April (unfortunately the email was in my SPAM folder), effectively forcing us to use the android app just when it has gone severely downhill in recent months.

I find the dangerous battery excuse to be completely bogus as batteries are freely available and changeable by any competent technician. Indeed, I already have spare batteries and a virgin/unopened CR100 as backup (neither needed yet).

I accept that Sonos may not be able to support the ever changing interfaces of external services, but please keep the dedicated CR100 controller operational, albeit with reduced function, i.e. with library and tunein radio. It is the visual and operational focus of my systems.

I personally have Sonos multiroom systems in two countries and have bought and recommended Sonos systems for families, friends and customers.

SONOS - PLEASE DON'T BETRAY MY CONFIDENCE, PATRONAGE AND EVANGELISM FOR THE SONOS PRODUCT RANGE!

JohnD
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

from what I had read and seen from my own CR100s, the "warning" message will appear 5 times, then go away.
I do not yet know if it will come back again after a reset or battery drain/recharge.....
I was wondering the same thing when I first saw it wishing I had gotten the lockdown completed before V8.4, but its not that bad.

I just made a post that seems to have gotten deleted? Thank you for the info, I hope you're right. I saw that you posted here that you successfully changed the batteries in your CR100s. I'd like to do the same and was wondering if you had seen any instructions on how to do this that you followed successfully? What did you do to lockdown your system?

I've decided that since I haven't received any coupon (!?!), and since I don't know that Alexa will be able to play my files (probably not), and since I purchased SONOS way back when as a FILE PLAYER and this is what I still use it for 90% of the time (the other 10% as an occasional radio player/alarm clock), the best answer for me is to not upgrade ever again and to keep my CR100s that I love so much.

This might not be what SONOS wants to hear, but it is what my device was advertised as, and what I want it to continue to be. If I wanted streaming services, I'd have bought that. But I didn't. I bought a media player to play files from my NAS. It's kind of annoying that in the desktop controller those stupid services are up front, and the services I actually use are hidden behind multiple clicks. I'd be perfectly good with my CR100 only functioning to play files and being an alarm clock.

I used to do the beta test thing but I stopped a number of years ago because all they wanted tested was streaming services that I am not interested in. I'd be more interested in knowing how someone used their Squeezebox as a controller (lol I have one somewhere around here), or if I could use my Chumby as a controller. I am, after all, still waiting for a controller for Windows Mobile 6. Yep, still waiting, hehe.

Wow, I could have written that post!!

We have had Sonos since 2005 for NAS based playback, alarms and internet radio. I did lots of Beta testing back in the day but stopped when the Betas just had streaming functionality to test which we could not help with. We would never have started down the Sonos route if it did not have a dedicated button operated controller like the CR100.

Almost since the start people on the "Gadget Show" and alike bemoaned the CR100's size and lack of touch screen (both of which I like!!) - Sonos caved in and released the CR200. Which had better zone linking and searching functionality but was too small and fiddly to that coupled with the early units having dead areas on the touch screen meant that it was quickly withdrawn.

As soon as Sonos issued the smartphone app controller users began to question the cost of the CR100 / CR200 against a new or second-hand smartphone. Most went for a smartphone but others like us were prepared to paid the extra in order to have the best hand held controller rather than an "ok" one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The fact that few people purchase them after 2009 more reflects the price point these units cost vs the free app rather than did they do or not do a go job of being a controller. This is a value argument not a functionality consideration.

Actually, it reflects the fact that the CR100 was discontinued in 2009. ;)

I would like to say I have been using Sonos since the beginning, but honestly, it took a number of years of looking at other option to determine that the SONOS product was the best in the market to allow for local file playing and added steaming of Internet Radio to mix along with perfect Multi-Room synchronization. Basically, it did everything I wanted and the remote (CR100) was great.
I only got into the product technically after the CR100 had already been discontinued, and now I have (10) CR100s and (2) CR200 (cannot stand how small and clumsy the CR200 is and will pickup the CR100 first every time)

a lot of these units have been resold over time, and its amazing how they were always available.
the fact they were always being resold showed the "market" for the units, as well as the fact the batteries are readily available from multiple manufacturers.

I have said it before, I will not be going to voice control, and do not have a need for music file streaming as I own my own music. If I stream its typically talk radio or XM Satellite,
take away my remotes and the system simply sucks if forced to use a touchscreen device......
the CR100 was the perfect tool for the job I have to do, and killing it off on me for "safety" reasons while I have replaced all the batteries is insulting.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
See where I'm going with this? - none of those aforementioned devices are still supported by their manufacturers, and won't get repaired if/when they die, but until such time as that happens they will continue to work in whatever capacity is afforded by their hardware

Unfortunately that's software vs hardware. Hardware is static, you buy a product and it will have that same hardware for the next coming years. The software on it though gets updates and updates and updates. Eventually the software will outdate the hardware. That's not Sonos limited, that's pretty much every hardware company that has devices that predate 2010

But it should always possible to decline software upgrades that bricks (part) of the system. I'm happy to freeze my current system with the current software and keep the CR100 running with what I have. I don't need any new functions in the software from Sonos!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'm not happy, either. I paid good money for both of my controllers. Now, my investment is going to be useless and of no value other than scrap? Not only did I invest in the two controllers, I also replaced the batteries last year.

Look, I don't care if they don't add or update the features to the controller, but for the love of Pete, please do not disable them. That's a bad business practice, SONOS!

What are you guys going to dump, next? The ZP100? The ZP80? This really stinks. Its folks like us who put SONOS on the map. This is what we get for investing in your products and your company?

Maybe it's time to look for a different product. I don't want to be worried that SONOS is going to discontinue support of another piece of hardware and leave me with a worthless $2000 investment.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
"Sonos have not done anything to harm me."

But they will in a week. You'd have thought something this serious would have the class seeking preemptive legal advice that would be beneficial to getting Sonos to see the light? Or is it the case that the class knows they don't have a legal leg to stand on (as was stated when someone actually sought legal advice) and this is all just silly posturing?

Jog on, little man. I'm not sure you're living up to your "charitable" objectives.

T
Userlevel 4
Badge
gom59 wrote:

> Something like this might do the trick:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP5H63T
> I didn't look into the details yet, but I guess that
> you could run some squeezebox related software on that, or kodi, or VLC.

Yeah, I've looked at micro-PC boards too, I was forced to do that for video
after Google bought SageTV and pulled the HD300 hardware from sale.

The problem is it's all about the UI. I tried replacing the SageTV units with
a Kodi-based system (OSMC-Vera4k) but the user interface is *horrible*. I
can use it, but it's not intuitive and no one else in the family can figure it
out at all. They can still use the old remaining SageTV boxes, but they are
starting to fail.

The "original" SONOS CR100 and the early versions of the SONOS App (not so much
since their "Cascade of Attention-Deficit Teenagers" UI engineers started breaking
things for "modern style" reasons) were master-classes in elegant and simple
UI design. No other music player system came close. I use the past tense as
the latest UI changes have broken all that (no one else in the family can play
music anymore without help either).

Of course now SONOS is increasingly hostile to local playing the writing is on
the wall for people like me who don't want or need an Internet-streaming Music
service. They want you to rent, not own, your music. They think they can get a
slice of the revenue from it (good luck with that, the big streaming services don't
like to share even with the musicians, let alone a third party member of the
ecosystem 🙂.

If you don't believe me, read this interview for context:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7256313/sonos-ceo-john-macfarlane-from-the-desk-of

"...so we're retargeting the company at streaming-music users"

Also:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7655293/new-sonos-ceo-patrick-spence-interview

"take Sonos to the next level" is shorthand for "ditching the losers who originally
supported us" to cater to the people who buy "Beats" headphones, and don't know
or care about local audio quality (aka FLAC files).

The writing is on the wall folks. The day local music playing breaks is the day all my SONOS
zones go on Craigslist. If I wanted to just use streaming there's no point in having
proprietary hardware to do it. Personally I think that's what SONOS is missing. But I'm
not a business development person (thank goodness 🙂.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Don’t feed the trolls kids!

Looking at the details of those providing unhelpful responses indicates they spend an inordinate amount of time on these forums. Who posts nearly 20,000 times on one Internet forum? No idea of their age but they need to get a life.
Anyway I’m only here to try to get support for the impending doom of the cr100 and will ignore the trolls from now on. I’ve managed to use Sonos for many years without the need for the forum so I’ll be out of here soon.

Thanks to all those who have posted very helpful advice
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Sod it, I had a bit of time this afternoon so, here goes, the proposed covering letter

Open to all edits as usual.
----

Dear Patrick,

I write on behalf of the many users expressing their disappointment at your proposed firmware update in April 2018 that will permanently disconnect a CR100 from its associated Sonos system and thus render the controller useless.

You will be aware that there has been a great deal of discussion on your forums over the last 7 weeks, the principle one being the thread entitled "Save the CR100"

This thread has, at the time of writing, XXXX posts over XX pages.

I agree, some of the content of this thread is heated exchange and unnecessary contribution but it is clear to see that emotions are running high on this subject and the majority of content has been from active supporters expressing their dismay and arguing their points reasonably for Sonos to maintain support for the CR100.

In addition, a petition active on change.org has, at the time of writing, attracted XXX signatures

The petition can be found here
-----link to petition----

Other than the disabling of the CR100, one of the major issues we have is that during this 7 week period, there has been very little input from Sonos other than to confirm to us, again, that we either accept what's happening or "lock down" and accept the "risks"

As a result, and from the contributions on this forum, we have put together the following list which we feel present sound arguments for you to consider as to why support for the CR100 should continue.

----list follows----

----list ends

In conclusion
I have owned and used my Sonos equipment daily since 2005 and have never had a need in the past to use these forums.
Judging by many of the users and their relatively low post counts (many of them new sign ups solely to post on this forum), I am not alone.

From reading their posts, these users are genuinely worried, alarmed and confused as to what the future holds for their Sonos systems - systems that they have clearly spent a huge amount of money on.

We accept that the CR100 is a relatively old piece of hardware that does not have the capability to handle future system enhancements - we do not expect Sonos to offer continuing future support for the CR100 at the expense of adding new features to the overall system.

Yet, the CR100 is still an extremely reliable piece of hardware and remains for many their first (or only) choice as a means to control their Sonos systems.

For this reason, we urge the provision of a legacy software version held at 8.4, available as a choice, when we check for system updates.

This way, we have options. We can choose to remain at 8.4 or, at a time that is right for us, upgrade to the very latest software as and when any new features are sufficiently tempting for us to retire our CR100s.

Another benefit of this arrangement is that we can choose - at any time - to roll back to 8.4 should we decide we want to extend the life of our CR100s for as long as possible.

As and when we install this legacy software, we have no problem with accepting terms and conditions exonerating Sonos from any battery or security issues as well as technical support.

The main benefit to us, of course, is that it will allow us to continue using our CR100s, even in the event of having to perform a full factory reset or reconnecting spare units that have not been used in some time.

The main benefits to Sonos? This would be seen by us as a massive goodwill gesture and we would be happy to continue investing in Sonos components from your entire range as we are aware that all hardware currently available is compatible with 8.4. In addition, we would continue to recommend Sonos as "the manufacturer to go to" for easy to use, well supported multi room audio solutions.

Therefore, we believe the provision of this legacy software is a simple, elegant and hassle free solution for Sonos.

If legacy software is technically not possible, or you simply decide that you are unwilling to provide this option for us, we would be grateful to know the reasons behind this.

Finally, thank you for reading this letter.

Much time and effort has been put in to compiling our arguments and we would respectfully ask that you do the same in offering your response.

Yours sincerely

etc. etc.
On behalf of all users wishing to continue using their CR100s