Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Yeah, good luck moving a 3G flip phone to another provider. Not a chance, lol.

Maybe the legislation is different in the USA, but in the UK once a phone is out of contract the network provider is obliged to unlock a phone. Plus plenty of options exist to unlock a phone via other means.
So in the UK you can just buy a SIM, either contract or Pay As You Go and stick it in the phone and away you go. The phone generally has nothing to do with the network provider.

No US carrier is going to let you start new service on their network with a 3G-only phone, sorry. Highly doubt any UK carrier will, either, as they want to get rid of support for 3G, with 4G LTE the norm, and 5G buildout in progress. Analog phones? Forget about it.

The point being that obsolete technologies are abandoned by companies all the time. Nothing unique about the obsolete CR-100 being abandoned by Sonos.
Personal abuse is unnecessary and demeans the abuser. Just a general observation.

John,

If that is to me then you will have to point out where I insult anyone. Other than calling him a fanboy, which is reasonably fair.

Dave
How about 'then you really are thick'?

I regard 'fanboy' as a compliment, not an insult. But whether abuse is fair or not does not alter the intention to abuse, so that is no defence.

It would be unusual for me to start a sentence with a conjunction, although 'then' can be construed as an adverb it is a rather weak one as it generally means next and why would you put the first part of something second, 'then being a relatively superfluous word. So let's not paraphrase too much otherwise I can accuse you of the same by paraphrasing your writing and omitting everything outside of the quotation mark. So why do you say I am really thick? That would be an unfair accusation.

Look I guess English isn't your first language but let's use the whole sentence.

"If you think that is the same then you really are thick." based upon his understanding of the matter in hand then the insult applies or doesn't.

The decision to be insulted is Chicks.
Hilarious post. Laughed out loud. Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your weekend 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Maybe the legislation is different in the USA, but in the UK once a phone is out of contract the network provider is obliged to unlock a phone. Plus plenty of options exist to unlock a phone via other means.
So in the UK you can just buy a SIM, either contract or Pay As You Go and stick it in the phone and away you go. The phone generally has nothing to do with the network provider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Personal abuse is unnecessary and demeans the abuser. Just a general observation.

John,

If that is to me then you will have to point out where I insult anyone. Other than calling him a fanboy, which is reasonably fair.

Dave

I regard 'fanboy' as a compliment, not an insult. But whether abuse is fair or not does not alter the intention to abuse, so that is no defence.

It would be unusual for me to start a sentence with a conjunction, although 'then' can be construed as an adverb it is a rather weak one as it generally means next and why would you put the first part of something second, 'then being a relatively superfluous word. So let's not paraphrase too much otherwise I can accuse you of the same by paraphrasing your writing and omitting everything outside of the quotation mark. So why do you say I am really thick? That would be an unfair accusation.

Look I guess English isn't your first language but let's use the whole sentence.

"If you think that is the same then you really are thick." based upon his understanding of the matter in hand then the insult applies or doesn't.

The decision to be insulted is Chicks.

John,

Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
They are simply removing the 3G signal, the phone itself is unaffected. If you go somewhere with a 3G signal then it will work.

That's the whole point. They are turning off 3G. It won't exist in 3 years, so you won't be able to "go somewhere with a 3G signal", so a 3G phone won't work. Analog was turned of years ago, so it won't work on that, either. Lots of folks still use ancient flip phones that only do analog or 3G. They will soon be bricks.

Wasn't aware they controlled the whole planet. Must check my notes. Oops they don't.

It's old news as Verizon are doing it at the end of this year, which kind of proves the point. It doesn't impact the phone, it could be switched to AT&T for the next two years, then to any other provider with a 3G signal. Then taken to a country with a less advanced infrastructure and used there.

It is like a streaming service ending. Other streams are available.

Edit: and for avoidance of doubt the hardware will do exactly what it did when the unit was sold by nokia, blackberry, apple or whoever, play snake, take photos, connect to a 3G service (where it is available).
I don't blame Sonos for 3rd party streaming services ending.
They are simply removing the 3G signal, the phone itself is unaffected. If you go somewhere with a 3G signal then it will work.

That's the whole point. They are turning off 3G. It won't exist in 3 years, so you won't be able to "go somewhere with a 3G signal", so a 3G phone won't work. Analog was turned of years ago, so it won't work on that, either. Lots of folks still use ancient flip phones that only do analog or 3G. They will soon be bricks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

John,

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
AT&T Gives 3G Service Three Years to Live
“Winding down obsolete versions has become a habit for telecom companies.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VZ?p=VZ&.tsrc=fin-srch

Huh. That will kill off millions of phones, which were quite expensive when they were new. Sounds like a pretty common practice. Technology goes obsolete fairly quickly. Companies support obsolete products for as long as they can, but it’s their duty to shareholders to remain profitable, so eventually obsolete products are killed off. Happens all the time.

If you think that is the same then you really are thick. They aren't sending out code that stops the phone connecting to your laptop, or playing snake, or taking photos. They are simply removing the 3G signal, the phone itself is unaffected. If you go somewhere with a 3G signal then it will work.

It would be akin to TuneIn stopping its service, a streaming service stopping it's service, or stopping the broadcast of TV or radio signals. The core hardware Sonos/TV/Radio is unaffected. A case in point would be the Digital upgrade to TV in the UK, yes the analogue signal was withdrawn but they didn't send code to the TV to stop it receiving an analogue signal from your video player. You could keep the TV and use a set-top box, and they were cheap.

Try taking your Zone Player and connecting to an un-upgraded Controller, it simply won't work. There is a technical argument that the controller wasn't bricked as the code wasn't sent to it. But if you bought in the early days when the equipment was bundled, then the manufacturer did send code that bricked the system. I bought a system.

The upgrade was very very hard to avoid, simply selecting do not upgrade doesn't work as the app kindly bricked itself on iOs, unless you were willing to commit to manually upgrading 100s of apps on a weekly basis and never having a new phone.

All that people wanted was a option to remain static, legacy firmware operating CR100s and whatever streaming functions still operate. If you ditched the manufacturers apps and switched to Sonophone, and blocked ports and websites then it was possible to keep the CR100s operational. Which I have.

I get that you think voice is the only option but to be honest, it is rubbish.It isn't that practical when you are on the phone.

Still using 3 CR100s daily. and Sonophone on a couple of iPads. Can't buy any new hardware.

The time and energy you have put into telling people that this issue they have isn't an issue, and that they are wrong is astonishing. The fact it affects you not one not one jot, yet you have made 100s of post proves what a fan boy you really are.

You will be telling us next that it is excellent that Sonos hasn't sorted SMB . Sad really.
OK that's consistent with what i suggested previously. I am sure Support will get the unit up and running. They will remote access your system and force through an update.
Thanks I did try that but on further investigation...... I was getting error code 11

Error 11
Error 11 most commonly occurs when a Sonos product can't start an automatic update because its software is significantly out of date. In cases like these, the Sonos product will need some extra help from our Customer Care team in order to update.

If you're seeing Error 11, please call our Customer Care team so we can assist with the update process. Click here for Customer Care's contact info.
To factory reset
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US
Thanks John

How do you factory reset the zp100 thigh as I can’t log onto the device to get into any menus

When you have trouble setting up the new AMP it's of no use to perform a factory reset on the ZP100.
I would normslly agree.but if this unit has been in a cupboard for a long time then it is almost like bringing in a unit from a different system. I don't expect a factory reset to help, but I think this is a rare occasion where it is worth a shot.
Thanks John

How do you factory reset the zp100 thigh as I can’t log onto the device to get into any menus

When you have trouble setting up the new AMP it's of no use to perform a factory reset on the ZP100.
Thanks John

Factory resetting a device is rarely helpful, but I would try it on the ZP100 here. Then wire it to your router, then in Settings select Add Speakers. If it won't install and update, call Sonos Support. Provided the ZP100 is not faulty it will work fine with a fully updated system and app controller.
Thanks John b I’ve hard wired the amp into my switch but it keeps failing on the update.

The zp100 was also pluged in when I did the update so I’m pressure it was connected properly

[...] And then I read this thread.......

Another 2 hrs later and I can’t get the app to work with the zp100 any ideas or is it a trip to curry’s with £500 to get a new model

The CR100 had become obsolete in April 2018. There is no newer model except for the CR200 which has also been discontinued several years ago.
Further to my previous post, the software currently on the ZP100 may be too old to update. You might succeed if you wire it for the update. If not, call Sonos Support and they will be able to do it.
£500 for a new what? The ZP100 is still fully compatible. The CR100 is not, but there is a free mobile app. Capitalism at its finest - indeed it is.
OMG

After spending a couple of hours searching for all the equipment to get my old zp100 /c100 controller I finally got it working really happy I bet radio etc...

Then I tried to be cool and was like I wonder how good it is when I install the update..............???????

What a mistake

And then I read this thread.......

Another 2 hrs later and I can’t get the app to work with the zp100 any ideas or is it a trip to curry’s with £500 to get a new model
AT&T Gives 3G Service Three Years to Live
“Winding down obsolete versions has become a habit for telecom companies.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VZ?p=VZ&.tsrc=fin-srch

Huh. That will kill off millions of phones, which were quite expensive when they were new. Sounds like a pretty common practice. Technology goes obsolete fairly quickly. Companies support obsolete products for as long as they can, but it’s their duty to shareholders to remain profitable, so eventually obsolete products are killed off. Happens all the time.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
@Dr Tchok_1

Glad you got that sorted without the whiskey and revolver 😃