Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3233 replies

Userlevel 2
I can't believe this announcement, I'm shocked, upset, annoyed and disappointed.
I have 2x CR100's and 2x CR200's in my household; the CR100's are for use in the bathroom & hot tub, and the CR200's are for use in the Kitchen & bar... I honestly would be lost without them. For me, you can't beat the simplicity of their design, but most importantly the instant response (without having to wake up, unlock, launch an app)... Not to mention, I'm forever having issues with my iphone Sonos app connecting, despite changing broadband providers, wifi routers and keeping all phones & apps currently and up to date.
I also love the fact that during parties, or when people stay over, they can pick up a controller and just use it. I run a couple of servers on my home network, so don't like giving people my wifi access. I instead have a guest network, but this doesn't give them access to my Sonos system. I also have elderly relatives, who don't use smart phones, but often pop round and use the Sonos controllers no bother.
The most convenient feature? Being able to use the kitchen controller to pause all, when exiting the house... almost like a light switch - it's always there, and always ready to respond.

Sonos - please keep the CR100 going, and the CR200 also (as I fear that may soon follow)
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

That sounds interesting - but does mean I'd need to buy 4 ipods @ £200 a pop.... and the voucher can't be used to subsidise that.

If getting something new, then there's android tablets available for about the €50 mark on amazon which look like a reasonable option.

Thanks. I'll consider it, though my only experience with android is one device (a samsung tablet) a few years ago. I didnt like it. For me, Apple would be easier just in terms of already having loads of chargers 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
You're getting a £100 voucher? We only are getting $100 in the US.

BTW, SONOS, I'm not interested in a new piece of hardware. The main reason is that I can't trust that you will continue supporting it.

$ / £ parity is the norm in most CE devices... - you only have to pay $170 for a play:1 - we have to pay £170... so it's swings & roundabouts... 🙂
Userlevel 2
Oh wait, hang on!!!! I've just noticed this on the shop;
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/xpress-audio-keypad.html

I wonder if they've listed this as an alternative for people to use..... conveniently priced also! Hmmm
Userlevel 3
Badge
Believe it or not there are many folks who like music but whose smart phone is not the center of their existence. For this reason bricking the CR100 is a totally contemptible and hostile move by Sonos towards its customers, especially early adopters who help put Sonos on the map and those most likely to own a CR100 or two. Their excuse for bricking the CR100 rings hollow: Everyone knows the CR100's battery is easily replaceable - for heaven's sake the instructions are posted on this forum! https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/guide-to-changing-the-cr100-battery-5216. Everyone knows Sonos has some of the best software engineers in the business and could readily maintain the CR100 at its current level of functionality if they wanted.

Reality check: this is about concocting a defense against possible product liability lawsuits and saving a few bucks on programmers in the process. Win-win for Sonos, lose-lose for Sonos users.

I was this close to pull the trigger on a Sonos Soundbar for my new TV, but forget it. Sonos lost my trust and my business.

Ha, my change the battery guide lives on! . The questions should now arise when they will kill the Cr-200 or even the ZP-100, ZP-80/90 ? Or any future hardware for that matter? Be careful what you purchase from Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Anyone know if any of the tech press (engadget et al) are aware of this? - might any of the tech press be interested in publicising this story? - the power of bad press, and its potential to impact future sales can be very compelling in the decision making process in profit-driven corporates? could this be worth a punt?
Userlevel 2
Does anyone know if it's £100 per CR100? Or is it £100 no matter how many you have?

BTW, SONOS, I'm not interested in a new piece of hardware. The main reason is that I can't trust that you will continue supporting it.

$ / £ parity is the norm in most CE devices... - you only have to pay $170 for a play:1 - we have to pay £170... so it's swings & roundabouts... :-)

Taxes are not included in pricing in the US, whereas VAT is included in the UK. Take off the VAT and the prices are very close.
Userlevel 3
Badge
... what's next? - ZP80/ZP100's also to be killed off?

Bingo!

Expect them to be killed off. These units have limited memory and slow processors; When Sonos throws the kills switch the fun begins.
Userlevel 1
My CR100s are old but reliable. Now I have to find 3 replacement devices I didn't need before. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere and have guests who don't have a Sonos or it's app. With the CR100 they could simply pick up a controller and play music. Telling them 'download an app', an app which has never been as intuitive as the CR100, is a lousy trade-off.

I find it hard to believe Sonos couldn't simply limit the controller to only playing a music library connected to the system. I appreciate it's an old device. It can't do all the 'new' things Sonos keeps adding to the system. I don't care about those things. I want to simply play my music library.

I will forever after only recommended Sonos with large 'but beware…'. The sudden announcement (not 6m or 1yr notice) makes me question Sonos' loyalty to customers, when/if they'll suddenly discontinue other 'old' products and leave customers hanging.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have 4 cr100’s, I hate to see you them go, if the new features they implement are not mind altering then hopefully I can just remain on the current firmware, I suppose the CR200 is next?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wonder if they've listed this as an alternative for people to use..... conveniently priced also! Hmmm

Hmm... interesting... *could* have the potential to replicate a good portion of the utility value of a CR100 - if it really does respond instantly etc.... although being screenless, doesn't replicate the "at-a-glance" confirmation that my particular zone is still set to play *my* favourite TuneIn station, rather than the wife's... so in all truth, it's still not as good a controller...

However, - I need one of these to replace *each* of my 3 CR100s, not just a derisory £100 voucher which only buys me one of those...

SONOS, if you persist in this course of action, you should do the least honourable service of 1 voucher PER CR100... - you know what kit we've got on our SONOS networks....
Userlevel 2

Hmm... interesting... *could* have the potential to replicate a good portion of the utility value of a CR100 - if it really does respond instantly etc.... although being screenless, doesn't replicate the "at-a-glance" confirmation that my particular zone is still set to play *my* favourite TuneIn station, rather than the wife's... so in all truth, it's still not as good a controller...

However, - I need one of these to replace *each* of my 3 CR100s, not just a derisory £100 voucher which only buys me one of those...

SONOS, if you persist in this course of action, you should do the least honourable service of 1 voucher PER CR100... - you know what kit we've got on our SONOS networks....

So is it only 1x £100 voucher per account then? Even worse if so!
But you're right, no screen means there's no feedback. As one of my zones is a connect:amp with outdoor speakers, I like to see that it's paused ok, so I'm not annoying my neighbours with midnight death metal!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Had a look at this, and whilst its useful in itself, it won't replace the functionality of the CR100. The main issue is that it'll only play what you've favourited, so you won't be able to select music in the same way. If you have a single set queue that you listen to and never want to change then it'll be fine.
Userlevel 3

From the description: Not compatible with Android devices.

That leaves me out.
Userlevel 2

Had a look at this, and whilst its useful in itself, it won't replace the functionality of the CR100. The main issue is that it'll only play what you've favourited, so you won't be able to select music in the same way. If you have a single set queue that you listen to and never want to change then it'll be fine.

I get that... I'm not saying it's a good enough replacement but I wonder if Sonos think it is!
For me, it would serve as an option to quickly pause or alter volume, but the same money can buy integration for my Rako system, so giving me a few more options really... However what I really need (which I will miss if the CR100's go) is the waterproof control of most functions (view & queue any music, link zones, play, pause, volume etc)...
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I just can't believe that I'm going to have to fork out £100 to buy some stupid tablets that we'll have to configure and then I'll have to train the in-laws on how to use it - they're in their 70's FGS.

Not to mention the impact this is going to have on the kids. It is going to be a sad sad day in our houses...
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Seems there's lots of people a little unhappy at the demise of the CR100. I wonder how much Sonos look at the boards, or would we all be better served in emailing customer service?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask?_ga=2.234769302.964843840.1517391461-210305012.1517391461

or Tweet them: @SonosSupport

Better still, how about emailing Mike.Carlino@sonos.com their l Director of Global Customer care, or even Patrick.Spence@sonos.com their CEO and President?

THAT might get their attention?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Seems there's lots of people a little unhappy at the demise of the CR100. I wonder how much Sonos look at the boards, or would we all be better served in emailing customer service?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask?_ga=2.234769302.964843840.1517391461-210305012.1517391461

or Tweet them: @SonosSupport

Better still, how about emailing Mike.Carlino@sonos.com their l Director of Global Customer care, or even Patrick.Spence@sonos.com their CEO and President?

THAT might get their attention?

I did already mail customer service first thing after I saw the email...

I say again though... - bad publicity can be very powerful... - might the tech press be interested in this story? - I know SONOS aren't quite the household name that Apple are, (if Apple so much as sneezes, the press are all over it, and 5 minutes later hysteria breaks out). SONOS aren't so niche that the general public wouldn't be interested either though.... - they sell their wares in all the big-box high street stores, so they are a fairly well known high-street brand.

I believe SONOS are also quite popular in the custom install space, so perhaps an organisation like CEDIA might have an interest?...

Anyone on here got any contacts in any of the press organisations that might be interested in this?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

To be fair the devices are cheaper to buy in the US. Someone else posted they are getting EUR125, which seems even better!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I completely agree with the other complaints in this thread.

I have recently aquired a "Connect" and found the android apps hopeless. Each time I returned to the lounge the app tried to reboot as it could not find the system. After a couple of minutes of asking me to reset everything it suddenly found my Connect. All this just to turn the volume up or down each time or a similar petty task.

I had a similar experience for all other devices and bought a couple of old CR100s. They work well, are always on and provide exactly what I need.

This ridiculous forced obsolescence is nothing but a ploy to improve the flagging sales of Sonos. To actively deny us the functionality purchased in good faith is unethical to put it mildly. A solution to maintain older levels of functionality could easily have been offered. It is a lazy sales and marketing ploy that is of dubious legaity here in the EU. However, I am now determined to lose my "Connect" and to listen by other means.

I am hugely disappointed and I hope the reputational loss of Sonos over this matter sinks the company without trace.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
... what's next? - ZP80/ZP100's also to be killed off?

Bingo!

Expect them to be killed off. These units have limited memory and slow processors; When Sonos throws the kills switch the fun begins.

When SONOS throws the kill switch on any of my players I promise they will be replaced with a non SONOS alternative...
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

$ / £ parity is the norm in most CE devices... - you only have to pay $170 for a play:1 - we have to pay £170... so it's swings & roundabouts... :-)

Taxes are not included in pricing in the US, whereas VAT is included in the UK. Take off the VAT and the prices are very close.

Sonos one on Amazon (UK) £199
Sonos one on Amazon (US) $199
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Perhaps if we all drop a line to

Patrick.Spence@sonos.com their CEO and President?
or
Mike.Carlino@sonos.com their Director of Global Customer care

or
Tweet them: @SonosSupport

that might get their attention?
Userlevel 2
I completely agree with the other complaints in this thread.

I have recently aquired a "Connect" and found the android apps hopeless. Each time I returned to the lounge the app tried to reboot as it could not find the system. After a couple of minutes of asking me to reset everything it suddenly found my Connect. All this just to turn the volume up or down each time or a similar petty task.

Exactly the issue I have been faced with... Most of my setup is geared around using ceiling speakers with connect:amp's mounted in a remote part of the house. I wouldn't be too worried if I was using a counter-top mounted Sonos, but there's been times where I've needed to quickly mute or turn down the music and the app wont connect. It's annoying, inconvenient and sometimes even embarrassing. I've had guests laugh at the amount I've spent on Sonos, and suggest I should have bought something like an Alexa speaker instead. Sad to admit, but without the CR100 & CR200's, they're probably not far off being right!