Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Your evidence is just pure speculation.

As is yours, except yours never took into account that their functionality is completely different, mine did.

Oh and FUD is Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

My post was positive. It was not meant to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt over the future of first gen hardware. Yours was. Ipso, facto, mine is not FUD.

I am well aware of what FUD is. You state unsubstantiated claims as facts, that raises uncertainty in my view, and that leads to doubt and fear.

I specifically stated mine was speculation based on two recent events. Speculation when stated as such is just discussion, not FUD. Non-facts stated as facts is FUD.

As is yours, except yours never took into account that their functionality is completely different, mine did.

Oh and FUD is Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

My post was positive. It was not meant to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt over the future of first gen hardware. Yours was. Ipso, facto, mine is not FUD.

Oh and by the way F00tS0re, how's that class action lawsuit going? (and the one before that, and the one before that . . . )
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
But you make claims that one is hampered in performance and the other is not. You have not seen the code or the processor load. You have no evidence for you FUD that one is affected and one is not,

I have however measured the temperature of the chipset and the one in the ZonePlayer doing continuos duty when streaming music runs a lot hotter than the one in the controller that has to pop up a few menus. That would suggest the one in the zone player is working a lot harder than the one in the controller does it not.

That is just speculation and FUD. You have no evidence to back this claim. It is illogical and wrong.

No evidence that the functions of the controller differ greatly from the functions of a player?

Uhhhh, one is a controller and the other is a player.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
They use the same chipset. However, saying that because they use the same chipsets, the players are going to be retired just like the controllers is complete nonsense, give the disparity between their duties. It is quite possible that the functionality of the controller was hampered by the older processor, whereas the completely different functionality of the players is not.

That is just speculation and FUD. You have no evidence to back this claim. It is illogical and wrong.
@F00tS0re. If you do not already have a successful career in politics then your considerable talents are being wasted. I wish you well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

But the speculation on new information and new hardware can't be for the twentieth time.

95% of the speculation in this thread has been illogical FUD. Doesn't matter what the impetus is.

But the poster bashing and accusations of FUD spreading are fine in your dictatorship. Please tell me what to think. You have an air of President Trump about you.

What was illogical about it:
- CR100 killed off, Sonos blamed the chipset
- New replacement Amp released
- CR200 killed off (OK the Sonos employee, lied, was wrong, or was 'misinterpreted')

Speculation that the original amp, which has the same chipset as the CR100, could well be in the firing line next would seem to be entirely logical.

I know that Sonos can never do any wrong in your precious little world otherwise it would make your 1.2 billion posts defending them look a little sad. But the speculation was logical, reasoned and rationale.
They use the same chipset. However, saying that because they use the same chipsets, the players are going to be retired just like the controllers is complete nonsense, give the disparity between their duties. It is quite possible that the functionality of the controller was hampered by the older processor, whereas the completely different functionality of the players is not.

And my Android phone cost as much as an iPhone X. But don't let that stop your condescending and arrogant tone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
My interpretation of the email was correct. The email was not correct. Please show me how I misinterpreted the email. If Sonos issue incorrect emails that is not my fault.

I don't use Android, I can afford Apple. Whoopie one feature that Android can manage. But I don't think I am in a minority of Sonos users with an Apple iPhone. If I had a Blackberry then maybe I could be dismissed as an edge case. But still slower than simultaneously answering and reducing volume.

What chipsets do they use then? I definitely have an email from Sonos blaming the chipset in the CR100 as the problem (after the stupid fire claim was debunked).

But the speculation on new information and new hardware can't be for the twentieth time.

95% of the speculation in this thread has been illogical FUD. Doesn't matter what the impetus is.

I'm sorry I don't see a request to contact support just a comment "you will not be able to link the CR200 to new Sonos Set-ups"

As explained by Ryan S, your interpretation of the e-mail as meaning the CR200 is no longer able to be added to setups is incorrect. The CR200 can no longer be used to set up new systems, but it most certainly can be added to a system after setup. You simply need to contact support to do it.

Then you sir are a genius. As soon as my iPhone starts ringing I can't get off the answer screen to get to the app to turn the volume down. (and even if I could, accessing the app, turning the volume down, and getting back to the phone screen would be longer than acceptable to answer a business call.
Answer call & press volume down on CR100 simultaneously.

No genius. I simply tap twice on the ][ key to bring up the app, and hit mute. Easy peasy for an Android owner.

I believe the CR200, ZP80/100 & ZP90/120 all have the same chipset that was in the CR100 and was blamed for the need to kill of the CR100 (after the bogus fire claim that they admitted was a lie - yes I have that writing). It is clear from the email above that the CR200 will no longer work on new systems, therefore EOL. The new amp just released will enable upgrade to new hardware so they can kill off Gen 1 ZPs in line with other legacy equipment. Note I did say this was speculation/guesswork. But I am beginning to see a pattern.

The "use the same chipset" nonsense has been debunked 100 times in this thread. I'll not even give it attention anymore.

Also, similar to the rest of this thread, your speculation is nothing but FUD. There is nothing about the new Amp that is different from any other new generation player, and none of them spurred a mass extinction event.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yawn.
Input from intelligent posters and debate is always welcome here. This falls short.
it dors indeed. But there is also a difference between intelligent debate and completely pointless speculation for the twentieth time.

John,

You are aware that you don't have to read a thread, and respond to/in it, if it doesn't interest you. You can just participate in threads that do interest you.

I would love to know how you classify 'pointless speculation for the twentieth time', given it was based on my newly formed view following an email only recently received & posted by Andrew_188, and the release of the new amp. That email was clear in its message with no ambiguity, and pointed to new behaviour from Sonos.

Ryan has confirmed that the email was 'a little misleading and inaccurate' or possibly just 'inaccurate'. Thanks for the clarification @RyanS. Which is fine, employees in high volume support environments do sometimes get things worded wrongly.

Deleted. Time this nonsense stopped.
Yawn.
Input from intelligent posters and debate is always welcome here. This falls short.
it dors indeed. But there is also a difference betwern intelligent debate and complrtely pointless speculation for the twentieth time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The CR200 is still partially supported, and you can still connect it to existing/new systems. What you can't do with the CR200 is use it to create a new setup or use it to add new players. Basic playback and volume controls are still available.

@Andrew_188, that message from the team looks to be a little misleading and inaccurate, I'll make sure that email ticket gets to the right people to help. They'll be following up soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I believe the CR200, ZP80/100 & ZP90/120 all have the same chipset that was in the CR100 and was blamed for the need to kill of the CR100 (after the bogus fire claim that they admitted was a lie - yes I have that writing). It is clear from the email above that the CR200 will no longer work on new systems, therefore EOL. The new amp just released will enable upgrade to new hardware so they can kill off Gen 1 ZPs in line with other legacy equipment. Note I did say this was speculation/guesswork. But I am beginning to see a pattern.

The pattern I see is EOL for for accessories/controllers, not for actual ZPs. You may ultimately be correct that the ZP days are numbered, but if we're looking at patterns, this fact shouldn't be ignored.

And I don't see how the new amp enables upgrade to new hardware away from ZPs anymore than the Connect and Connect:amp did. The new amp isn't even a replacement for ZP80/90 (may be getting model numbers wrong here) or Connect since it cannot output audio to a 3rd party receiver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yawn.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
In case *anybody* is still interested in discussing controllers in this thread:

Today I was informed by SONOS tech support that pairing controllers to systems is no longer possible. This is incredibly disappointing. Message copied below.

Enjoy the paperweights.... :(

--Andy

---------------

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for replying to our email. Unfortunately, you will not be able to link the CR200 to new Sonos Setups. The function of installing an older version of firmware is not possible either. If you have any questions or issues. Please feel free to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Andrew R
Sonos | Customer Care | Contact Us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community
What exactly is being said here? That CR200s can no longer be added to systems? Or that users cannot do this (it has long been the case that intervention from Support was usually needed)? Or that the CR200 cannot be used to set up new systems (which is certainly true). The Support email refers to 'new Sonos setups'. I am not convinced CR200s are bricks (yet). It is all very well publishing the answer, but it might be useful to know what the question was. Clarification please.

John, I presume English isn't your first language. The issue at hand is written in a single sentence, there is no room for ambiguity.

"Unfortunately, you will not be able to link the CR200 to new Sonos Setups."

I would suggest its meaning is clear, it may be factually incorrect, but it is not in any doubt as to what the Sonos Support Team have written. Therefore a CR200 may remain on an existing system, but it cannot be added to another new Sonos Set-up.
Yawn.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I have been here before. This ensures no second market for CR200s. Thus in some months time they will tell everyone numbers are dwindling, because they can only go one way. Death of CR200 coming up.

Then why would Sonos encourage people to contact support to have them add the CR200 to their system?

Where do they make the request to contact support? As per email from Andrew's post:

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for replying to our email. Unfortunately, you will not be able to link the CR200 to new Sonos Setups. The function of installing an older version of firmware is not possible either. If you have any questions or issues. Please feel free to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Andrew R

I'm sorry I don't see a request to contact support just a comment "you will not be able to link the CR200 to new Sonos Set-ups"

I have been here before. This ensures no second market for CR200s. Thus in some months time they will tell everyone numbers are dwindling, because they can only go one way. Death of CR200 coming up.

Then why would Sonos encourage people to contact support to have them add the CR200 to their system?

But don’t worry you can use voice control, even though the reason you want to turn it down is you answered the phone, and are talking. But you can use the app, on the phone...... oh. You can do it on an iPad - unlock iPad, open app, choose zone, vol minus.

I myself would turn down the music before I answer the phone. YMMV, according to which agenda you are promoting.

Then you sir are a genius. As soon as my iPhone starts ringing I can't get off the answer screen to get to the app to turn the volume down. (and even if I could, accessing the app, turning the volume down, and getting back to the phone screen would be longer than acceptable to answer a business call.
Answer call & press volume down on CR100 simultaneously.

The following is guesswork.
Plus the new connect amp spells EoL for all gen 1 kit. I would love a new connect amp but not at the price of three CR100s.

Why would the new Amp spell EOL, when the Play:5 Gen 2, One, and One 2nd Gen did not spell EOL for the Play:5 or Play:1? Or the ZP90/ZP120 (Connect/Connect:Amp) did not spell EOL for the ZP80/ZP100? Seems your guesswork needs work.

Also, MSRP for the CR100 was $349. The Amp does not cost $1047.

To get the new Amp and connect it to my system I would have to render 3*CR100s useless as I would be forced to upgrade the firmware. The cost to me of a new Amp is the loss of 3*CR100s - the money is irrelevant.

Today I was informed by SONOS tech support that pairing controllers to systems is no longer possible. This is incredibly disappointing. Message copied below.

--Andy

---------------

Good Afternoon,

Sincerely,

Andrew R
What exactly is being said here? That CR200s can no longer be added to systems? Or that users cannot do this (it has long been the case that intervention from Support was usually needed)? Or that the CR200 cannot be used to set up new systems (which is certainly true). The Support email refers to 'new Sonos setups'. I am not convinced CR200s are bricks (yet). It is all very well publishing the answer, but it might be useful to know what the question was. Clarification please.

But don’t worry you can use voice control, even though the reason you want to turn it down is you answered the phone, and are talking. But you can use the app, on the phone...... oh. You can do it on an iPad - unlock iPad, open app, choose zone, vol minus.

I myself would turn down the music before I answer the phone. YMMV, according to which agenda you are promoting.

Plus the new connect amp spells EoL for all gen 1 kit. I would love a new connect amp but not at the price of three CR100s.

Why would the new Amp spell EOL, when the Play:5 Gen 2, One, and One 2nd Gen did not spell EOL for the Play:5 or Play:1? Or the ZP90/ZP120 (Connect/Connect:Amp) did not spell EOL for the ZP80/ZP100? Seems your guesswork needs work.

Also, MSRP for the CR100 was $349. The Amp does not cost $1047.

--Andy

---------------

Good Afternoon,

Sincerely,

Andrew R
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yeah, good luck moving a 3G flip phone to another provider. Not a chance, lol.

Maybe the legislation is different in the USA, but in the UK once a phone is out of contract the network provider is obliged to unlock a phone. Plus plenty of options exist to unlock a phone via other means.
So in the UK you can just buy a SIM, either contract or Pay As You Go and stick it in the phone and away you go. The phone generally has nothing to do with the network provider.

No US carrier is going to let you start new service on their network with a 3G-only phone, sorry. Highly doubt any UK carrier will, either, as they want to get rid of support for 3G, with 4G LTE the norm, and 5G buildout in progress. Analog phones? Forget about it.

The point being that obsolete technologies are abandoned by companies all the time. Nothing unique about the obsolete CR-100 being abandoned by Sonos.

Do they vet your handset in the US? I thought it was free country. In the UK I walk to the shop, buy a SIM either Pay As You Go, or contract. Take it away and shove the SIM in my phone. There is no-one saying you can't use this phone or that phone.

And the point is the 3G phone from Nokia, Blackberry, Apple or whomever will still do exactly what it did when you bought it. That is connect to a 3G network from third parties when they are available. They aren't sending code to the phone or its accessories to tell it not to work. As I said it is a bit like a streaming service ceasing - it is external to sonos and not their fault.