Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I feel very sad, angry and surprised too!!! Why is it not possible to keep basic functions going on the CR100. All that is needed is, select a radio station or something from the music library and zone functions, join, leave. No need for new fancy stuff! I use 2, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Areas where moist and mobiles/tablets do not go together.
Also in the context of resource conservation and environmental reasons this is sending a very wrong signal. Ditch perfectly working electronic tools, that is ultimate wasteful. I am already very concerned in the way Sonos is forcing us to take up new software and changing the terms and conditions while doing this. I bought Sonos components with the understanding that I bought something that will continue to work till it breaks ( not by software updates). I still want to be able to use my 1st gen Sonos stuff in 20 years time, even if that means I don't have access to all new functionality that is released in the mean time.
I really would like to see an option to create a 'freeze' on the software installed and keep that going for the rest of the working life of my sonos components. I will accept I cannot add new stuff to it. Fine!!
The next step I can see coming is that the 1gen Sonos connect (ZP90) and Play gen 1 will not be supported any more and new Sons controller software will render them obsolete.
This cannot continue!!
I can still use my old CPM/2 based computer and my XP based laptop, so it should not require rocket science to keep a CR100 going using basic functions.
Userlevel 1
Badge

That sounds interesting - but does mean I'd need to buy 4 ipods @ £200 a pop.... and the voucher can't be used to subsidise that.

If getting something new, then there's android tablets available for about the €50 mark on amazon which look like a reasonable option.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
is there a way to disconnect from internet, so it still can be used??
That will make using Amazon, Napster, Tune in and Apple music a bit difficult.... and I use them all.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Maybe if you don't update the Sonos software you will still be able to use the CR100. But then you would be missing out on new features that are released.
Userlevel 3
Badge
This is a real shame. There are plenty of products out there with lithium ion batteries which are still allowed to function after many years. Imagine a laptop vendor disabling internet connectivity on older devices?

It would be great if Sonos could continue allowing CR100 controllers to participate in a Sonos environment, even with limited functionality (which I believe is already the case to some extent).

£100 voucher doesn't really help if there is no replacement hardware controller.

😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I see from a help topic that you can setup an iphone or android device as a dedicated controller (only sonos app available on home screen/ requires password and funky button presses to access normal phone operating mode), so I wonder if that means that the annoying time delay is eliminated ?
If it is, I can probably live without the controller as in my domestic situation it was only being used as a backup when I couldnt find my phone (and the voucher for €125 will be accepted with open arms for a new speaker !)

That sounds interesting - but does mean I'd need to buy 4 ipods @ £200 a pop.... and the voucher can't be used to subsidise that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Agree that losing the CR100 will be a pain. We have kids and they each have a CR100 in their rooms. We have done this because we don't let them have unsupervised use of their smart devices.

Frankly a £100 voucher off a Sonos purchase doesnt really help as I already have one Play 1s, 5 Connect amps, one ZP80 and one Play 5. There's nowhere else to put music unless I build another room onto my house! What I want is a controller - well 4 to replace my CR100's but I can't buy any with a £100 voucher cos they don't sell any (not that £100 would be enough to do so).

Incidentally, a £100 voucher if you have a CR100, and still just a £100 voucher if you have 4? Or more? What's that about?
Userlevel 1
is there a way to disconnect from internet, so it still can be used??
Userlevel 1
Badge
I see from a help topic that you can setup an iphone or android device as a dedicated controller (only sonos app available on home screen/ requires password and funky button presses to access normal phone operating mode), so I wonder if that means that the annoying time delay is eliminated ?
If it is, I can probably live without the controller as in my domestic situation it was only being used as a backup when I couldnt find my phone (and the voucher for €125 will be accepted with open arms for a new speaker !)
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Anyone else a bit disappointed that from April 2018 our cr100's will no longer work? I have 4 of these and Sonos's solution is to offer me a voucher for £100 off my next Sonos purchase. Unfortunately they don't sell any controllers any more so that's not really going to help.

It looks like I'm going to have to purchase some kind of ipods or something , as I need dedicated devices that I can leave in each zone. Anyone got any suggestions of the cheapest options?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I just saw the email coming in, and read it twice to believe it... I am quite a techy guy, have played with many automation, geeky systems. The ones relying on smart phone apps always end in a drawer: too clunky, too slow to control, just a pain.
I love my sonos system because it has a dedicated controller. Fast and easy to control, always on, always in the room where it's supposed to be. And now I am told that I am supposed to discard it?

Come on Sonos, years of excellent service, don't ruin it now.