Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Well, good news on 2 fronts.

1) I revived my dying CR100 through a direct connection of the charger which needed a good push into the socket. All of my CR100s (bar the even deader one in my garage) charge via cradles so I think I'll clean the contacts again. The garage one only charges via the port and is effectively on life support.

2) I have original downloads of SonosDesktopController84.exe 24.4MB downloaded 04/04/18 (even works for our American friends too!) and the previous 8.32 from that February if anyone needs them. Email me at phawmail-sonosatyahoo.co.uk and I'm sure I can send it via wetransfer or similar. It'll preserve it in the public domain and will maybe helpme out again should I need it one day.

Finally a quick bit of help requested from anyone techie. After my move I've bought a BluSound Vault 2i which connects (ethernet) to my router fine and looks up the CDs that I'm rapidly feeding it with. It's connected via RCA to one ZP100 (aka Connect Amp) so can be distributed by grouping players. Unfortunately I can't find it to set up as a NAS as I keep getting an error message "dns server unavailable" in Win 7. Any suggestions? Reckon I might run out of disc space on the 2TB Vault which I'm dual converting to FLAC+128k MP3 for everything. Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thought I would just drop-in and add an update as well.

3 CR100s still alive and well on the system, no updates, no sonos apps. All run via CR100s SonoPhone, SonoPad. Amazon Music, Radio and local music all still operational.

Would love to add to the system but can't as can't add units. Have looked through updates since I stopped them and can't see much other than people complaining how bad the latest versions are and I don't see much improvement other than the following:
  • Alexa ducking resolved (hardly a major issue)
  • Hamstrung the desktop controller
  • Broken some stuff for Android users
  • Killed the Dock
Possibly the new Ikea controller may offer some viable options for control. The need to remove to charge function of the i-port express devices ruled them out for me.

No doubt someone will be along to tell me what I think is wrong. But it basically looks like a lot of cost cutting in the development to reduce the stuff they have to maintain at the expense of users features. I used to use the desktop all the time on my Mac. I spend 9-5 most days right in front of it, why would I 'reach for phone or tablet'.

'Sonos less easy to use with every release', user of 15-years stated. You can quote me on that!
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
'Sonos less easy to use with every release', user of 15-years stated. You can quote me on that!

Disagreed.

You just don't like change.

I have no issues with my system or more importantly, network.
Good grief. 🙄
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

'Sonos less easy to use with every release', user of 15-years stated. You can quote me on that!Disagreed.

You just don't like change.

I have no issues with my system or more importantly, network.

Yep I must not like change. That must be why I bought Sonos in 2005, currently drive a Tesla, because EVs are so main stream, and have a houseful of smart tech, with a significant chunk of voice control. Because I don't like change. Yeah makes perfect sense that you can determine this from my comments on a singular product.

And whilst you maybe like your system, I don't set my benchmarks at your low standard.

I am quite happy with change, and love new tech, but not all not new tech. Tech has to be usable, it has to bring benefit. I installed a full house Futronix lighting control system in our last house, I haven't bothered with the current house because I actually found it a pain in the behind, took too long from pushing the button to getting light, if you pushed the wrong button you got the wrong light. It over complicated what a basic light switch (or dimmer) does, and at a massive cost (it was well into 4 figures). It was nice, and some of the more basic switches with three modes & off were OK, but still more fiddly than a switch, and confused guests. It wasn't the output that was wrong, the lighting was great, it was the input.

Not sure what issues you think I have with the network, we operate a full UniFi based system, with all reserved IPs addresses, 4 VLANs for network segmentation. Quite happy with my network. Sonos operates rock solid, as it has done since 2004.

The CR100 offers volume control immediately, from an independent device. If I use an app, and the phone rings, I have to authenticate with the phone, open the app, change the volume, close the app, answer the phone. In the real world I answer the phone and have to find another way to turn the volume down, but still leaves me logging into something, opening apps.

But I am sorry you will have to convince me that there was a user benefit to losing the CR100, removing the dock, downgrading the desktop controller. I can't comment on the latest app functionality as I can't use it. But I can, and do, read the update threads to see if there is a reason to ditch the CR100 and upgrade.

Please tell me what the must-have features are since 8.4.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Good grief. 🙄
As usual thanks for your excellent contribution to the thread, well considered as always. Shows a high level of empathy and intelligence.

Good grief. 🙄As usual thanks for your excellent contribution to the thread, well considered as always. Shows a high level of empathy and intelligence.

This thread is ages old, and the topic is dead. Only you see any post here as worthy of empathy or intelligence. The rest of us are cringing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good grief. 🙄As usual thanks for your excellent contribution to the thread, well considered as always. Shows a high level of empathy and intelligence.

This thread is ages old, and the topic is dead. Only you see any post here as worthy of empathy or intelligence. The rest of us are cringing.

Another high value excellent post, offering no solutions, help or options. No valid discussion at all, it adds nothing to the thread, a thread you claim to have no interest in but have probably posted in more than anyone else. Just like a lot of your posts you aim to belittle the other posters, you really are a very sad unpleasant little man.
Don't you have a half dozen class action suits to file?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Don't you have a half dozen class action suits to file?

Given I am in the UK no, nor would I ever claim to be going to file a class action suit. Another post of no merit.
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Gentlemen, ladies,

Thank you all for putting time and effort into sharing your feedback and opinions - we genuinely appreciate it.
I believe this topic has run its course, and as such I will close it for any further replies. :)

All the best,
Ditte