Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post

3226 replies

I'm sorry I don't see a request to contact support just a comment "you will not be able to link the CR200 to new Sonos Set-ups"

As explained by Ryan S, your interpretation of the e-mail as meaning the CR200 is no longer able to be added to setups is incorrect. The CR200 can no longer be used to set up new systems, but it most certainly can be added to a system after setup. You simply need to contact support to do it.

Then you sir are a genius. As soon as my iPhone starts ringing I can't get off the answer screen to get to the app to turn the volume down. (and even if I could, accessing the app, turning the volume down, and getting back to the phone screen would be longer than acceptable to answer a business call.
Answer call & press volume down on CR100 simultaneously.

No genius. I simply tap twice on the ][ key to bring up the app, and hit mute. Easy peasy for an Android owner.

I believe the CR200, ZP80/100 & ZP90/120 all have the same chipset that was in the CR100 and was blamed for the need to kill of the CR100 (after the bogus fire claim that they admitted was a lie - yes I have that writing). It is clear from the email above that the CR200 will no longer work on new systems, therefore EOL. The new amp just released will enable upgrade to new hardware so they can kill off Gen 1 ZPs in line with other legacy equipment. Note I did say this was speculation/guesswork. But I am beginning to see a pattern.

The "use the same chipset" nonsense has been debunked 100 times in this thread. I'll not even give it attention anymore.

Also, similar to the rest of this thread, your speculation is nothing but FUD. There is nothing about the new Amp that is different from any other new generation player, and none of them spurred a mass extinction event.

But the speculation on new information and new hardware can't be for the twentieth time.

95% of the speculation in this thread has been illogical FUD. Doesn't matter what the impetus is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
My interpretation of the email was correct. The email was not correct. Please show me how I misinterpreted the email. If Sonos issue incorrect emails that is not my fault.

I don't use Android, I can afford Apple. Whoopie one feature that Android can manage. But I don't think I am in a minority of Sonos users with an Apple iPhone. If I had a Blackberry then maybe I could be dismissed as an edge case. But still slower than simultaneously answering and reducing volume.

What chipsets do they use then? I definitely have an email from Sonos blaming the chipset in the CR100 as the problem (after the stupid fire claim was debunked).
They use the same chipset. However, saying that because they use the same chipsets, the players are going to be retired just like the controllers is complete nonsense, give the disparity between their duties. It is quite possible that the functionality of the controller was hampered by the older processor, whereas the completely different functionality of the players is not.

And my Android phone cost as much as an iPhone X. But don't let that stop your condescending and arrogant tone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

But the speculation on new information and new hardware can't be for the twentieth time.

95% of the speculation in this thread has been illogical FUD. Doesn't matter what the impetus is.

But the poster bashing and accusations of FUD spreading are fine in your dictatorship. Please tell me what to think. You have an air of President Trump about you.

What was illogical about it:
- CR100 killed off, Sonos blamed the chipset
- New replacement Amp released
- CR200 killed off (OK the Sonos employee, lied, was wrong, or was 'misinterpreted')

Speculation that the original amp, which has the same chipset as the CR100, could well be in the firing line next would seem to be entirely logical.

I know that Sonos can never do any wrong in your precious little world otherwise it would make your 1.2 billion posts defending them look a little sad. But the speculation was logical, reasoned and rationale.
@F00tS0re. If you do not already have a successful career in politics then your considerable talents are being wasted. I wish you well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
They use the same chipset. However, saying that because they use the same chipsets, the players are going to be retired just like the controllers is complete nonsense, give the disparity between their duties. It is quite possible that the functionality of the controller was hampered by the older processor, whereas the completely different functionality of the players is not.

That is just speculation and FUD. You have no evidence to back this claim. It is illogical and wrong.

That is just speculation and FUD. You have no evidence to back this claim. It is illogical and wrong.

No evidence that the functions of the controller differ greatly from the functions of a player?

Uhhhh, one is a controller and the other is a player.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
But you make claims that one is hampered in performance and the other is not. You have not seen the code or the processor load. You have no evidence for you FUD that one is affected and one is not,

I have however measured the temperature of the chipset and the one in the ZonePlayer doing continuos duty when streaming music runs a lot hotter than the one in the controller that has to pop up a few menus. That would suggest the one in the zone player is working a lot harder than the one in the controller does it not.

Your evidence is just pure speculation.

As is yours, except yours never took into account that their functionality is completely different, mine did.

Oh and FUD is Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

My post was positive. It was not meant to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt over the future of first gen hardware. Yours was. Ipso, facto, mine is not FUD.

Oh and by the way F00tS0re, how's that class action lawsuit going? (and the one before that, and the one before that . . . )
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As is yours, except yours never took into account that their functionality is completely different, mine did.

Oh and FUD is Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

My post was positive. It was not meant to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt over the future of first gen hardware. Yours was. Ipso, facto, mine is not FUD.

I am well aware of what FUD is. You state unsubstantiated claims as facts, that raises uncertainty in my view, and that leads to doubt and fear.

I specifically stated mine was speculation based on two recent events. Speculation when stated as such is just discussion, not FUD. Non-facts stated as facts is FUD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I think we can all agree there's no need to get this heated arguing about what might happen based on speculation. The fact is, we have not shared any plans, details, or even hints that other devices will need the same treatment as the CR100. We'll be sure to let everyone know affected if anything of the sort comes up, but for now, I'd suggest just taking a break from the needless stress and just enjoy some music.

I'd rather not have to lock down this thread for the day, so let's just take a break and relax.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
so let's just take a break and relax.

I'm not stressed, I'm an ENTP, this is how I relax.:D
so let's just take a break and relax.

I'm not stressed, I'm an ENTP, this is how I relax.:D
Indeed you are, and I am sure it is. I actually find it entertaining to watch you in action. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

No evidence that the functions of the controller differ greatly from the functions of a player?

Uhhhh, one is a controller and the other is a player.

As someone who has actually studied the source code to the CR100 and the Players, I can confirm jgatie's claims: no overlap. The CR100 used "embedded flash" as its platform, with a truly ugly interop layer to get down to the custom C code. The death of Flash (and the advances in the shared controller codebase used by every other device) made the CR100 demise inevitable, no matter how many fans it had (inc me). Players run on Linux, and use an entirely different software stack all the way down, because they have entirely different requirements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You may be able to, Jgatie couldn’t. I didn’t say he was wrong, just that he couldn’t substantiate it, no evidence provided, other than stating one is a player the other is a controller. But he is more of a fan of shouting at people who disagree with him than providing evidence to support his argument. Shouting doesn’t cut it with me.

Thank you for your constructive input.
You may be able to, Jgatie couldn’t. I didn’t say he was wrong, just that he couldn’t substantiate it, no evidence provided, other than stating one is a player the other is a controller. But he is more of a fan of shouting at people who disagree with him than providing evidence to support his argument. Shouting doesn’t cut it with me.

Thank you for your constructive input.

What more evidence do you need that the functionality does not overlap, than the fact that their functionality does not overlap? I was not speaking at a code level, and never claimed to be. I simply stated that your (and other's) speculation (aka FUD) that the 1st generation players will suffer a quick demise due to the CR100 being retired completely ignores the fact the functionality of the two do not overlap. Tell me what is wrong with this analysis (which, by the way, was dead on correct, even down to the code level!)?

And as far as "providing evidence to support his argument" goes, where the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks was your evidence that the demise was coming, outside of shouting it out every chance you got in order to spread FUD?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I'll try and help, but am no expert and can only report on what I did. I request that others chime in if I miss or say something that is incorrect:

Block Sonos System from Updates (and the Internet)
1. Set all installed apps (Android & iOS) to NOT automatically check for updates.
2. Set any desktop versions you have installed to also NOT automatically check for updates.

It's possible to set 1. to OFF
but
2. There are no options in the PC app to check for updates

Sonos claim the mobile settings apply system-wide. Is that valid?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I'll try and help, but am no expert and can only report on what I did. I request that others chime in if I miss or say something that is incorrect:

Block Sonos System from Updates (and the Internet)
1. Set all installed apps (Android & iOS) to NOT automatically check for updates.
2. Set any desktop versions you have installed to also NOT automatically check for updates.

It's possible to set 1. to OFF
but
2. There are no options in the PC app to check for updates

Sonos claim the mobile settings apply system-wide. Is that valid?

Don't know and can't test as don't have the desktop app anymore as upgraded work laptop so app is now gone. One options is disable access to:

update-firmware.sonos.com
update.sonos.com

Either using your router or a service like OpenDNS. This will stop any of the devices from updating.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hahahahaha! just popped by after about 9 months away from this thread... my how things have changed... NOT!
In the interim, I've been continuing to happily use my 3 x CR100s, which remain to this day, my ONLY 100% rock solid control method. I've added more Echo dots into the house, I now have almost 1 per room. voice control has improved a little in the last 9 months, but it's still definitely not a total replacement solution, not a 'primary' control. The "ducking" behaviour is still very annoying (where ALL playing zones are volume suppressed whenever any Alexa device responds, - even if its in a different room). And of course there's still no ability to browse/select from from my local library, and never mind the fact that still a significant portion of all my voice requests are not understood... I also have had issues with the iPort Express controllers... - 1 long-term use issue that has become evident is that because they have no dock to keep them always charged, (they have wall mounts that enable them to be positioned conveniently, and I have also deployed some Decora wallplates that even make them look quite nice), but flattening batteries has on occasion meant that at a point of wanting to control a zone, I couldn't... - I got the obscure multicoloured blinking LED signal that I had to go to their website to look up the meaning of, before realising that they had to be taken away into my office & charged up. Another failing - only happened one time so far - was that as a result of some remodelling work on my house, the electricity was off for 5-6 hours. Some time after that event, I noticed 2 of 3 of them were no longer able to control their linked zones (it is my assumption that these 2 events were cause & effect). For both iPorts, I did have to fanny around with the support site for a couple of hours before being able to unlink & relink them to their intended players, following which they have (touch wood) been reliable again. Not altogether encouraging though, for a device that wants to be a control solution for SONOS that they could so easily be knocked out of commission. I also have several iOS devices with sonopad/sonophone on, which have also been largely reliable, although I did just recently have 1 hiccup which necessitated a support case, wherein the app - on all my devices simultaneously - suddenly stopped reliably enumerating my players, and would start up with "no players found" I've hopefully solved that one now by following the instructions from support to fix the app to a single IP address of one of my hardwired players (that is also 'fixed' at that IP by DHCP). - It took a while to get that solution, during which time I was frustrated many times by my inability to just pick up my phone & control a device, so **thank goodness** for the trusty (if old) CR100's of which I have one in my 3 most used listening locations. In *every* single instance of a control issue with all of the other methods, the CR100 came to the rescue; always charged (new batteries 1 year ago), always able to see all the zones...

I've had no issue avoiding inadvertent firmware updates, - I've removed the official SONOS app from all but one device (my PC), and I've blocked the URLs and the ports previously mentioned at my router, so nothing on either my wired or wireless network can get to an update server. I've not had to deal with "others" devices that just happen to have the official SONOS app, and which are on 3G/4G attempting to trigger an update, - and even if they did, if I understand the mechanism correctly, then my players would still not be able to update, even if a friends phone tried to initiate one...
Certainly agree that voice is not a total solution - far from it. Nor is it intended to be, But you do know the ducking issue has been fixed by implementing Alexa Groups? Or does your locked down system prevent you implementing that?

I use IFTTT to gain some limited voice control of local music. That too is far from an ideal or comprehensive solution, but is of some value.

Edit - just read the end of this post, so sadly this user will still have to put up with ducking....
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
My system is frozen at V8.4 and I've just got a new PC which I wanted to install the desktop controller on. You used to be able to download this version from http://update.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController84.exe. It seems now as if Sonos have removed old versions from their site, so I'm stuck. Anyone know any other source of this? I realise now (too late) I should have kept a copy.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
So one of my remaining CR100s (ringfenced at ver 8.4) no longer wants to charge - after a decade or more's sterling service. I quickly took some photos confirming the software version and the serial number before turning it off via the menu to conserve what charge remains.

If anyone's interested in it, let me know as I'm unlikely to be changing batteries myself. This one's Made in China (unlike my Malaysian initial CR100s) so there may be some more dying soon. The great condition just show how good these things were.
Userlevel 1
My system is frozen at V8.4 and I've just got a new PC which I wanted to install the desktop controller on.
You used to be able to download this version from http://update.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController84.exe.
It seems now as if Sonos have removed old versions from their site, so I'm stuck.
Anyone know any other source of this?

Just noticed your request (I don't visit this site very often)

Google is your friend! (Although you should always practice "safe surfing")

The file I have here (previously downloaded from sonos.com) is 24.4 MB (25,673,432 bytes)

Checksums - generated via "Checksum Control 2.4.1"..
MD5 - 74EB4A25C23ECB1CA9B356DFC1F4B69E SonosDesktopController84.exe
SFV - SonosDesktopController84.exe 03FD50F8

HTH

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings