Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 1
Sonos is really concerned about the long term install base:
- cr100 gone
- PC desktop interface almost unusable after removing all admin features
Thanks Sonos!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Surely it's not bricked if you can buy a simple £50 android tablet?

Easy to buy an Android tablet but a lot of folks have disabilities that make using one very difficult.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Having locked my apps and desktop controller to preserve my CR100s and blocked my router from contacting Sonos urls for updates, I find this week that my access to Spotify Premium in the UK is now also blocked. None of the controllers can connect to Spotify, When I try to reauthorize my account / delete and readd the Service, I get "Check your network connection."

I thought that temporarily allowing the router to access sonos.com might solve this, but to no avail. I also note that any of the other Music Services can be added - it is just Spotify that can't. My router is an ASUS RTAC-53 set to modem mode: my router is provided via TP Link Deco.

There were warnings when the CR100 was bricked that streaming services would one day dry up. Have I finally got to the point where I have to take either the CR100s or Spotify into a darkened room with a revolver and a bottle of whiskey?

I have loved not having to update software the whole time, and happily none of my CR100s have self-immolated in the meantime.

T
[...] I thought that temporarily allowing the router to access sonos.com might solve this, but to no avail. I also note that any of the other Music Services can be added - it is just Spotify that can't. My router is an ASUS RTAC-53 set to modem mode: my router is provided via TP Link Deco.
That was to be expected. Music services are committed to pay out royalties to the artists and music labels. In order to do so they need to keep track of what you are listening to. Blocking the service out results in the subscriber being blocked out by the service, sooner or later.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
[quote=Smilja][...] Blocking the service out results in the subscriber being blocked out by the service, sooner or later.

Forgive me, I'm not sure I follow you - I didn't block the Spotify server (and can happily stream Spotify to other devices currently). Presumably Spotify was aware of the tracks streamed via Sonos for the year or so since I blocked access to the Sonos URLs and could remunerate artists and labels accordingly. I am assuming that when one streams from Spotify through a Sonos device, the stream comes from Spotify not via the Sonos servers - and this may be an assumption too far.

T
Forgive me, I'm not sure I follow you - I didn't block the Spotify server (and can happily stream Spotify to other devices currently). Presumably Spotify was aware of the tracks streamed via Sonos for the year or so since I blocked access to the Sonos URLs and could remunerate artists and labels accordingly. I am assuming that when one streams from Spotify through a Sonos device, the stream comes from Spotify not via the Sonos servers - and this may be an assumption too far.

T

That's correct but you may have accidentally blocked the Spotify/Sonos interface.
As stated by Sonos staff, if you choose to freeze your Sonos at a legacy software/firmware version, eventually there will be changes to services, codecs, or interfaces that will cause internet based music services to stop working. That is the hazard of not updating.
As stated by Sonos staff, if you choose to freeze your Sonos at a legacy software/firmware version, eventually there will be changes to services, codecs, or interfaces that will cause internet based music services to stop working. That is the hazard of not updating.

And before the whiners blame this on Sonos, it’s much more likely due to changes by the providers, to enhance security, etc.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Having locked my apps and desktop controller to preserve my CR100s and blocked my router from contacting Sonos urls for updates, I find this week that my access to Spotify Premium in the UK is now also blocked. None of the controllers can connect to Spotify, When I try to reauthorize my account / delete and readd the Service, I get "Check your network connection."

I thought that temporarily allowing the router to access sonos.com might solve this, but to no avail. I also note that any of the other Music Services can be added - it is just Spotify that can't. My router is an ASUS RTAC-53 set to modem mode: my router is provided via TP Link Deco.

There were warnings when the CR100 was bricked that streaming services would one day dry up. Have I finally got to the point where I have to take either the CR100s or Spotify into a darkened room with a revolver and a bottle of whiskey?

I have loved not having to update software the whole time, and happily none of my CR100s have self-immolated in the meantime.

T

Still streaming Spotify in Canada just fine on 8.4.

It is a matter of time before a change at a streaming service breaks things, but that time has not come for me ... yet. You may have reached that point and if you have, sorry for your loss.

BTW I have been using OpenDNS to block update-firmware.sonos.com, update-software.sonos.com, update.sonos.com along with firewalling all on port 4444 at my router.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Many thanks, exdirtfarmer - that is a very helpful confirmation. Hopefully this isn't a change at the Spotify UK end that makes it incompatible with version 8.4, but something else which I might be able to solve.

Any other CR100 refugees in the UK successfully still streaming Spotify?

T
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
[/quote]As stated by Sonos staff, if you choose to freeze your Sonos at a legacy software/firmware version, eventually there will be changes to services, codecs, or interfaces that will cause internet based music services to stop working. That is the hazard of not updating.

And before the whiners blame this on Sonos, it’s much more likely due to changes by the providers, to enhance security, etc.

Well what do you know? I noticed my router needed a firmware upgrade, upgraded it and now Spotify is back working fine.

So sorry to set any hares running and to deprive any non-whiners of no doubt well deserved schadenfreude.

T
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
@Dr Tchok_1

Glad you got that sorted without the whiskey and revolver 😃
AT&T Gives 3G Service Three Years to Live
“Winding down obsolete versions has become a habit for telecom companies.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VZ?p=VZ&.tsrc=fin-srch

Huh. That will kill off millions of phones, which were quite expensive when they were new. Sounds like a pretty common practice. Technology goes obsolete fairly quickly. Companies support obsolete products for as long as they can, but it’s their duty to shareholders to remain profitable, so eventually obsolete products are killed off. Happens all the time.
OMG

After spending a couple of hours searching for all the equipment to get my old zp100 /c100 controller I finally got it working really happy I bet radio etc...

Then I tried to be cool and was like I wonder how good it is when I install the update..............???????

What a mistake

And then I read this thread.......

Another 2 hrs later and I can’t get the app to work with the zp100 any ideas or is it a trip to curry’s with £500 to get a new model
£500 for a new what? The ZP100 is still fully compatible. The CR100 is not, but there is a free mobile app. Capitalism at its finest - indeed it is.
Further to my previous post, the software currently on the ZP100 may be too old to update. You might succeed if you wire it for the update. If not, call Sonos Support and they will be able to do it.
[...] And then I read this thread.......

Another 2 hrs later and I can’t get the app to work with the zp100 any ideas or is it a trip to curry’s with £500 to get a new model

The CR100 had become obsolete in April 2018. There is no newer model except for the CR200 which has also been discontinued several years ago.
Thanks John b I’ve hard wired the amp into my switch but it keeps failing on the update.

The zp100 was also pluged in when I did the update so I’m pressure it was connected properly

Factory resetting a device is rarely helpful, but I would try it on the ZP100 here. Then wire it to your router, then in Settings select Add Speakers. If it won't install and update, call Sonos Support. Provided the ZP100 is not faulty it will work fine with a fully updated system and app controller.
Thanks John

How do you factory reset the zp100 thigh as I can’t log onto the device to get into any menus
Thanks John

How do you factory reset the zp100 thigh as I can’t log onto the device to get into any menus

When you have trouble setting up the new AMP it's of no use to perform a factory reset on the ZP100.
Thanks John

When you have trouble setting up the new AMP it's of no use to perform a factory reset on the ZP100.
I would normslly agree.but if this unit has been in a cupboard for a long time then it is almost like bringing in a unit from a different system. I don't expect a factory reset to help, but I think this is a rare occasion where it is worth a shot.
To factory reset
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US
Thanks I did try that but on further investigation...... I was getting error code 11

Error 11
Error 11 most commonly occurs when a Sonos product can't start an automatic update because its software is significantly out of date. In cases like these, the Sonos product will need some extra help from our Customer Care team in order to update.

If you're seeing Error 11, please call our Customer Care team so we can assist with the update process. Click here for Customer Care's contact info.
OK that's consistent with what i suggested previously. I am sure Support will get the unit up and running. They will remote access your system and force through an update.