Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3236 replies

Just a note of clarification: The CR100 is the scroll wheel controller and was included with the first release of the system. The CR200 (eventually renamed "CONTROLLER") followed later and is a touch sensitive controller. There was a batch of CR200's prone to screen failure. The screen manufacturer is no no longer in business and replacement screen stocks are depleted.
It would be rather sad, if a user didn’t upgrade their entire sonos system, as they didn’t realise they had the CR200 controller, rather than a CR100... so here are two images to help show the difference.

CR100

CR200

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hi again folks. My CR100s were all still working prior to my ISP disconnecting me after I served them with 30 days' notice (then tried to stay 3 days later when they had a promotion). Aside from a new phone number (they can't guarantee reinstating the old one we've had for over 20 years that they also lost the first time I joined) they've sent me yet another identical router - the 5th one in 2 years.

Unfortunately all my account settings have been reset including the 2 blocked update addresses. I can remember update.sonos.com, but was the other one "firmware-update.sonos.com"? I want to get this right since my router won't allow me to block port 4444, and it all hinges on the hyphen I hope I remembered right. Can anyone confirm without me wading through all the pages of this thread again? Thanks.

Got some more recent Sonos kit working on a guest SSID so the CR100 setup remains protected and the rest of the family can't connect/update accidentally. Unfortunately Amazon can only see the old setup so Alexa is on strike.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
OK, so it was update-firmware I found on p56 or thereabouts.
I also am absolutely disgusted with Sonos after they duped me into a software update in the full knowledge that, to quote another user 'would brick' my three CR100 controllers. They have offered no meaningful compensation - a 20% off voucher up to £100 on Sonos products is no use to me at all, as they well know.

I would be more than happy to join a class action suit against this corporation for their crass behaviour which simply rides roughshod over the interests of the people who have enabled the company to prosper. It makes me despair.
What are the chances of Sonos re-releasing the CR100? Or making an upgraded version of it? It is desperately needed. If we all say this together it's got to happen, hasn't it?
Zero chance. Sonos will never make another dedicated controller, the ROI is too small given the vast majority will opt for the free app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The developer program holds out some hope, someone may see an opportunity to sell enough controllers to folks with disabilities that make tablets difficult and do something.

I'm kinda looking at it but it is early days now and I really don't want to make that much effort at this point. We are getting by with a Linux based controller running on Raspberry Pi computers that are accessible through VNC from our desktops.

Ongoing effort, but meets our basic needs: http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/
The Google Home Hub should be an ideal controller, once Sonos finally integrates Google Assistant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Google home hub just looks like another touch screen thingie to me so that won't work.
Pulled out a Logitech Controller the other day that has been sitting in a closet for about 8 years. I was struck by the fact that it booted right up and aligned itself to the firmware version of my server. Since my old squeezeboxes were pointed to the same music store I now use for Sonos my music was automatically up to date. I forgot how nice these things are! They have the same touch wheel that the CR100 has plus a bunch of hard buttons and a nice LCD screen.

It was a pleasant surprise to have something that old just boot up and work with no issues or drama. I'm not suggesting this would be a good solution for anybody, just noting how some old stuff can just keep on working and be useful.
Hi There,

I just updated my Play:1 by accident and as a result my CR100 is no longer compatible. Obviously it's going to be very difficult to roll back the firmware, probably impossible.

What are the odds of someone on this forum being able to provide documentation on how the controller works? Im thinking something like a Raspberry Pi could be used to bridge between the controller and the Sonos system however I lack the knowledge of how the two devices communicate.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You are out of luck on the CR-100 I haven't seen anything workable on rollbacks or work-arounds.

I do use a Pi as a controller, far from perfect but it meets our needs for picking and playing music. I make it available to every computer here by enabling VNC on the Pi and connecting to it over the LAN.

Controller software: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/linux-6764091
I run sonos-controller-unofficial-0.1.5-armv7l.AppImage on my Pi 3 with no problems.
Userlevel 1
Well, at least one manufacturer has responded to their users

It's a Christmas miracle: Logitech backs down from Harmony home hub API armageddon
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/21/logitech_backs_down_harmony_api/

Logitech has backed down from screwing over its smart home Harmony Hub loyalists after an outpouring of anger from customers.

Last week, the gizmo manufacturer put out a firmware update for the hub that disabled its external software interfaces (aka its APIs) citing security concerns. But that approach had the impact of rendering many of customers' custom smart home setups unusable.
"We've heard your concerns," reads an updated notice on the company's noticeboard.
"Over the coming weeks, we will qualify a regular firmware release that still allows XMPP control for those who need it..."

Maybe if we all just wish hard enough?

A Happy Xmas to all CR100 users
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Still using our CR100s daily, all three of them. Occasionally Sonophone on my iPhone/tablet, but the fire on my desk updated itself and can't get it to run an old version of the Sonos App. I am getting an early iPad as kids upgraded at Christmas to run Sonophone on my desk.
So since the date of the upgrade the firewall has blocked all updates, and we use no Sonos software, ever. Playbar, Sub, 3 Connect Amps, 1 Connect, Play 5, 5 Plays 1s, and we no longer interact with the manufacturer on a regular basis. Youngest daughter asked for a Play 1, like her big sister, going to re-task one from conservatory and find something else for that room.

I only popped in as a new Mac for work has given me issues with my NAS drive (MAC won't connect to SMBv1 due to security issues), its a Buffalo Terastation that as far as I can tell only supports SMBv1, it really is old, so going to have get a new NAS for main backups, and keep the Terastation for Sonos as it still seems they can only support SMBv1.

So much was promised by other users once the CR100 was being dropped and as far as I can tell the benefits are diddly squat.

Onwards and upwards.
Dave
Userlevel 1
but the fire on my desk updated itself and can't get it to run an old version of the Sonos App.

Dave, I know that the Fire is randomly different from stock Android but a Google for "sideload amazon fire" suggests that it should be possible.

Having downgraded all my Android devices (following the steps I outlined in my "Still crazy CR100 after all these years" post) they all seem happy and never ask to be updated - albeit I only use the Apps when I'm out of reach of a CR100

Best wishes for 2019
Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thanks Paul, Just lack of time to mess about with stuff I don't really understand. I can normally get it working but it all takes time. I'm not bothered about messing up the fire as I never use it for anything (other than a dedicated Sonos Controller). It ran for a bit with the stock Sonos App buy when it upgraded it the Fire OS it insisted on upgrading the Sonos App. I'll try and get to it.
Dave
I just bricked all the cr100 in grandpas house by upgrading sonos which the sonos Android app forced me to, fu**! Haven't seen him in many years and came by to visit because he's in the hospital. I have no idea about sonos cr100 story, all I wanted was to listen to some music. He's 88 and doesn't have a tablet or smartphone. When he comes home from the hospital he won't be able to listen to his radio channels anymore. Feeling terrible and angry :@m
Just ran across this review for a recently released remote which does a good job of summarizing why remotes without tactile feedback are terrible and why phones will never be suitable replacements for hard button remotes. On the other hand if you really like the glass slab approach this thing will control your Sonos system.

https://www.cordcutters.com/sevenhugs-smart-remote-review-its-smart-its-sexy-its-not-great-remote
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Pulled out a Logitech Controller the other day that has been sitting in a closet for about 8 years. I was struck by the fact that it booted right up and aligned itself to the firmware version of my server. Since my old squeezeboxes were pointed to the same music store I now use for Sonos my music was automatically up to date. I forgot how nice these things are! They have the same touch wheel that the CR100 has plus a bunch of hard buttons and a nice LCD screen.

It was a pleasant surprise to have something that old just boot up and work with no issues or drama. I'm not suggesting this would be a good solution for anybody, just noting how some old stuff can just keep on working and be useful.

That sounds interesting but I really don't understand how you mean it works with Sonos.
If you have the time please explain further. What is the remote actually controlling?
I used my CR100's for over 12 years without an issue. Now I'm forced to use the app which just does not work.
I used the CR100 as a clock and alarm. It never failed and the tactile buttons for snooze etc. always worked and were easy to find.
Now the app is another story. No tactile buttons, doesn't always turn the screen on so you have to wake up and turn the phone on to find the very small snooze icon.
And in recent weeks the snooze option doesn't even appear. The app is useless.
Phones and tablets are no substitute for a dedicated controller with tactile buttons. In my opinion.
If Sonos had said they were no longer supporting the CR100 and would issue no further updates and let it die naturally I could understand. But to brick them is criminal.
If they had offered a new improved tactile controller as the way forward I would have brought into it (upgraded). But to offer the only solution as a very poorly designed and malfunctioning app is beyond me.
Badge
Agreed, to brick them indeed borders on criminal. I'd have been fine to keep them around as just dumb controls. Nothing was more versatile for use on the patio during parties. I didn't have to worry about anyone being confused by it.

That sounds interesting but I really don't understand how you mean it works with Sonos.
If you have the time please explain further. What is the remote actually controlling?

I didn't say it works with Sonos. I said my Sonos system and Squeezebox server both point to the same music library so even after all these years when I fired up the Squeezebox and this controller the music was up to date with everything I have added to my library during all that time I was using Sonos. I just started it up and it worked as good as the day I bought it (which was well before I bought the CR100s).
Userlevel 1
I just bricked all the cr100 in grandpas house by upgrading sonos which the sonos Android app forced me to, fu**! Haven't seen him in many years and came by to visit because he's in the hospital. I have no idea about sonos cr100 story, all I wanted was to listen to some music. He's 88 and doesn't have a tablet or smartphone. When he comes home from the hospital he won't be able to listen to his radio channels anymore. Feeling terrible and angry :@m
Kind of the same happened to me in reverse! My parents were visiting and with good intensions my dad connected to my Sonos with hos smartphone and updated in the proces!!
Something I have been avoiding with great difficulty was done in a second with no turning back!
I feel really bad because there was no way I could hide my dissapointment and there was no way my dad could have known what he did would BRICK our Sonos system.

SO NOW I am without controllers and have gained 4 useless units with a combined purchase price of $1400 ready for the bin.
The most dissappointing thing is we used these 4 units as our PRIMARY control units for our entire Sonos infrastructure and they ALL performed perfectly!
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Surely it's not bricked if you can buy a simple £50 android tablet? I do feels for people who like the CR100 and CR200. I used a Nuimo for simple control and love the fact that I don't have to log on, enter passwords wait for booting etc etc. I like the idea of a dedicated always ready single use controller, but can see why in the age of smart devices it is an obsolete idea 😞

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings