Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
All, please consider posting on the SONOS Facebook page on any thread they have started. If you are an Instagram user or Tweet, please post there. Write the CEO, patrick.spence@sonos.com. Lastly, start a support ticket.
Got 3 CR100s, all with replaced batteries and can hardly believe this gross betrayal of trust. One rash step turns SONOS from heroes to zeros. I hate using my phone for anything other than calls and most of the time the battery is flat.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
All, please consider posting on the SONOS Facebook page on any thread they have started. If you are an Instagram user or Tweet, please post there. Write the CEO, patrick.spence@sonos.com. Lastly, start a support ticket.

In addition, sign the petition here : https://www.change.org/p/patrick-spence-ceo-sonos-stop-sonos-from-disabling-the-cr100-controller-from-their-system
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Can anyone remember the original price of the CR100's when new? - such a long time ago, my recollection is fading, and I also bought a job lot of SONOS at a show for what was then a good price... - I Think I recall the CR100's being the wrong side of £300 each, and for that you didn't even get the cradle, - that was another £40 a pop. Top of my head maths then suggests that my 3 CR100's and 3 cradles set me back almost exactly £1000.... - and that was in the days when a grand was worth something!!

I see that even today, there are units for sale on ebay in the £150 / $150 range, so clearly they have held up well, and people still want to buy them....

I did the same. A year or two later Netbooks arrived on the scene and common sense suggested that a similarly priced netbook could run the Sonos software as well as anything else a basic laptop could. Even so I ended up buying more (total of 😎 CR100s from Simply Sonos. No doubt the original Sonos speakers and speaker cable included as part of the official ZP100 package will also go obsolete. 😉 Damn. I've got one room with 2 of these ZP100+speaker packages as well as Playbase+SUB+2xPlaly One. Did I say I WAS a convert...?
Amazing. Twelve pages in two days. That's faster than the outcry over the app. Let me add my name to the dissension. The CR100 has hung proudly in my kitchen since 2009. So much more convenient to control the music there when cooking then washing and drying my hands to hit my phone.

I understand why it needs to be disabled, but why? Why can't the basic functions continue to operate without adding new ones as you have been?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Feel free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I commented the other day that there were still lots of CR100's on sale on Ebay. At the time I was feeling sorry for anyone who buys one now when they are about to be bricked.

However, its just occurred to me that they are changing hands for a lot less than the value of a £100 Sonos voucher!

Anyway, in my open ticket with Sonos tech support they said the following yesterday:

"...I understand the frustration this is causing and I hope that you understand that we at Sonos would never want to phase out the CR100 if we felt there was a safe way to keep supporting it indefinitely.

Our primary focus was to mitigate any risk of the battery overheating and help our customers find a better solution. We’re here to help with that."

Leaving aside the confusion of their "primary focus" apparently being 2 things 🙂 they seem to be hanging their hat on the battery overheating issue.

funny, their only reason to brick the units is to protect those that keep the units on the charger and create an "overheating issue"
if I was a user that did not actually USE my CR100 and it was bricked, I am likely to never even notice its been bricked while the thing continues to sit on the charger "heating up".
their initial excuse, errr "problem" not even solved.

Come on Sonos, drop the battery issue, that is total crap. You are either unwilling to continue to "allow" the CR100 to work with your units OR you are unable to allow them to work due to the desire to use the system Memory and resources to make the newer "Voice Controlled" and "added streaming" services to work.
AFAIK The CR100 has not had any updates since for quite some time, since they announced it was going to have "limited functionality". this is technically a limited functionality remote anyhow (when compared to the APP) but for those of us that use them its not the capabilities I care about, its the efficiency and need NOT to use my phone or a touchscreen.
Its NOT the controller they need to update/change/make compatible, its the zone players they need to continue to make compatible with the controllers.
Tell me that I can lock my system for remote compatibility and I will, but give me an option in the APP and the units to permanently opt-out of all updates and the ability to retain the version of firmware that I can use to update my units.....

I am beginning to understand that will never happen.
The battery overheating is the reason? Mine's been plugged in since 2009, rarely leaves the cradle, and everything is still fine.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I just posted a comment on one of their Facebook posts and have been "chatting" to someone at Sonos via the Facebook chat window. Despite my comments, I just got the stock reply which is still banging on about the battery being the "primary" reason (see below). I pointed out the folly of their argument and invited them to engage in dialog with us here on the forum. Their response was to ask for me to get in touch with their Customer Care Management Team by submitting a support ticket. This has now been done and I will post back here if anything occurs.

Sonos:

"The CR100 – our first hardware controller - was launched in 2005. It’s now more than a decade old and has aging internal components:

Our primary concern is the controller’s integrated lithium ion battery. Across industries, it's known that aging lithium ion batteries have the potential to become overheated when left charging for extended periods of time, in this case with the CR100 when left in the charging cradle for extended periods of time over the years. That’s why we’re asking customers to immediately unplug their CR100s and drop the devices off at their local e-waste center, or we can help dispose of the units at no cost.

A secondary concern is the controller’s aging microprocessors. The experience with CR100 has become more limited in recent years as its chip set has aged and our software has become more sophisticated. We’ve been able to keep some core functionality working, but now we’ve reached a point where the device simply can’t support the modern Sonos experience.
"

My reply:

"Please provide evidence that the ageing lithium ion batteries in these units have been proven to overheat. My three units have lived on their cradles since purchase over 10 years ago and NEVER showed ANY signs of overheating. They just lost capacity and so in recent years I replaced the batteries with NEW ones (as most CR100 users have also done out of necessity). You don't see Apple bricking ageing iPods/iPhones/iPads due to concerns over overheating lithium-ion batteries. So please stop using the batteries as an excuse - it is totally bogus and beneath Sonos.

Please read the forum thread on this issue. There are now over 12 pages (in two days). Your older loyal customers deserve dialog with you and some form of compromise. This is simply unacceptable as-is.
"
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I just posted a comment on one of their Facebook posts and have been "chatting" to someone at Sonos via the Facebook chat window. Despite my comments, I just got the stock reply which is still banging on about the battery being the "primary" reason (see below). I pointed out the folly of their argument and invited them to engage in dialog with us here on the forum. Their response was to ask for me to get in touch with their Customer Care Management Team by submitting a support ticket. This has now been done and I will post back here if anything occurs.

Sonos:

"The CR100 – our first hardware controller - was launched in 2005. It’s now more than a decade old and has aging internal components:

Our primary concern is the controller’s integrated lithium ion battery. Across industries, it's known that aging lithium ion batteries have the potential to become overheated when left charging for extended periods of time, in this case with the CR100 when left in the charging cradle for extended periods of time over the years. That’s why we’re asking customers to immediately unplug their CR100s and drop the devices off at their local e-waste center, or we can help dispose of the units at no cost.

A secondary concern is the controller’s aging microprocessors. The experience with CR100 has become more limited in recent years as its chip set has aged and our software has become more sophisticated. We’ve been able to keep some core functionality working, but now we’ve reached a point where the device simply can’t support the modern Sonos experience.
"

My reply:

"Please provide evidence that the ageing lithium ion batteries in these units have been proven to overheat. My three units have lived on their cradles since purchase over 10 years ago and NEVER showed ANY signs of overheating. They just lost capacity and so in recent years I replaced the batteries with NEW ones (as most CR100 users have also done out of necessity). You don't see Apple bricking ageing iPods/iPhones/iPads due to concerns over overheating lithium-ion batteries. So please stop using the batteries as an excuse - it is totally bogus and beneath Sonos.

Please read the forum thread on this issue. There are now over 12 pages (in two days). Your older loyal customers deserve dialog with you and some form of compromise. This is simply unacceptable as-is.
"

"but now we’ve reached a point where the device simply can’t support the modern Sonos experience."

there you have it, the "modern" Sonos experience is all they care about and want to shove it down our throats without considering that the "Modern Experience" for some of us totally sucks and is not what we want.
Sonos created a product that brought our "Analog" methods and the new "digital" methods together.
they gave us flexibility and each of us found our favorite ways of using it.
now they want to rip one of the best tools from us.
Here's proof that sometimes the "modern way" is never better than the original method.

there you have it, the "modern" Sonos experience is all they care about and want to shove it down our throats without considering that the "Modern Experience" for some of us totally sucks and is not what we want.
Sonos created a product that brought our "Analog" methods and the new "digital" methods together.
Here's proof that sometimes the "modern way" is never better than the original method.

So, they should just carry on doing business like it was still 2005 then? They’re facing competition now from the mega corporations Apple, Google and Amazon. They would be out of business in 6 months if they stagnated. Then the loss of support for the CR100 would be the least of your problems. Look, get over it. Times change, Sonos adapts to keep up. Sometimes a few obsolete items can’t be viably sustained. It’s business. Move on. Sheesh.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Agree that losing the CR100 will be a pain. We have kids and they each have a CR100 in their rooms. We have done this because we don't let them have unsupervised use of their smart devices.

Frankly a £100 voucher off a Sonos purchase doesnt really help as I already have one Play 1s, 5 Connect amps, one ZP80 and one Play 5. There's nowhere else to put music unless I build another room onto my house! What I want is a controller - well 4 to replace my CR100's but I can't buy any with a £100 voucher cos they don't sell any (not that £100 would be enough to do so).

Incidentally, a £100 voucher if you have a CR100, and still just a £100 voucher if you have 4? Or more? What's that about?

Sonos so rude - only one voucher per household!! Think I will find another product and sell all my equipment. I am disgusted!
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So, they should just carry on doing business like it was still 2005 then? They’re facing competition now from the mega corporations Apple, Google and Amazon. They would be out of business in 6 months if they stagnated. Then the loss of support for the CR100 would be the least of your problems. Look, get over it. Times change, Sonos adapts to keep up. Sometimes a few obsolete items can’t be viably sustained. It’s business. Move on. Sheesh.

C'mon Chicks, why so confrontational all the time?

If "doing business like it was still 2005" means valuing your customers, listening to their concerns, and where possible accommodating them, then in my book that is a worthy endeavour. For Goodness sake, Rolls Royce (cars) are still doing business like it was 1905, and they're all the more respected for it.
The fact that they're facing stiff competition from Apple, Google, Amazon et al, is precisely why they should be trying to retain the support and loyalty of ALL their customers, not just Generation Z. Behaving like this is quite likely going to push more than a few of us towards those competitors...
No-one, let me say that again in case it's not going in... NO-ONE is suggesting anything that in any way inhibits or detracts from the ability of Sonos to to "keep up".
I am quite fed up of all the snarky "get over it" type remarks, it's not helpful, and it's not going to happen! Look. I fully respect your right not to give 2 hoots about this issue... you won't find any record of me, or to my recollection of all 12 pages of this thread, anyone else berating the "don't carers" for their belief. Please have the common decency to understand that it is perfectly the right of the "Do carers" to take a position that is different, and respect that belief without sniping all the time.
I do wonder if I'm talking to myself sometimes, as I keep making the same point over and over, and it just seems to be not sinking in to the minds of some people...
So, to anyone who's argument or attitude is that this bricking has to happen in order to allow Sonos to continue to innovate and develop the system in whichever way they see fit, will you PLEASE *explain* why you suggest that is so? - because it just simply isn't! - If I choose, right now, to step out of the upgrade cycle and maintain MY system on the current software, how in the name of all that is sane, does that affect Sonos, or anybody else for that matter?

I recently came across a computer that was running Windows 2000 workstation... the fact of that still existing, and still being operational has not in any way held Microsoft back from releasing XP, 7, 8, 8.1, & 10 - I don't hear people berating that Win2000 user for "holding everyone else back" - Microsoft don't give a stuff... - that Win2000 box is no burden to them, they don't have to maintain it - as some have erroneously suggested Sonos would need to do to leave CR100's running...

Please, all, keep it civil, if you're a "don't carer" then why are you here? - if to try to chip in with ideas then welcome! - if its to poke derision at the genuinely held anguish of others who are dreading what's coming, then that's really not very welcome at all.

Common argument here but not entirely applicable:

Sonos is a product not a service. There is a reasonable expectation that if you purchase a product you can continue to use it until it breaks.

Sonos devices are not exclusively tied to a service the way something like a cell phone is. When many people purchased their Sonos gear there were not any services available except maybe tune-in. There is a reasonable expectation that if services are made available or change that they are optional and do not negatively impact the capabilities you originally paid for in the product if you choose to not use those optional services.

Sonos is a purchased product not something you lease like a cable box. There is a reasonable expectation that you will have the option to be left alone and not be forced or coerced to change your equipment at the convenience of the equipment provider. This includes an expectation that you can fix broken components or add additional components obtained on the open marketplace without being forced into a software or hardware change you don't want.

Existing customers are not responsible for supporting changes or innovations that drive future sales for Sonos. Sonos should compete with new features and products designed to attract new customers in a manner that does not create a hardship for existing customers. While Sonos is under no obligation to extend those innovations or features to existing customers they may at their discretion decide to do so to make their product more attractive in the marketplace. This does not imply an obligation or even a moral justification for existing customers to accept reduced function, limited ability to repair, or limited ability to expand their existing investment in order to continue using the product in the way they originally intended at the time of purchase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
What he said!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
An idea here... which might get Sonos's attention. Just go on Amazon, and leave a 1 star rating on all their equipment you can find. Mention that based on their track record, anything you buy from them might be intentionally bricked in the future.
Why not, since Sonos's new line of thoughts seems to be "Who said life was fair" ?
Userlevel 3
Badge

...They would be out of business in 6 months if they stagnated. Then the loss of support for the CR100 would be the least of your problems...

Frankly, if they went out of business between now and April at least I'd still have a system that worked as it does today. (Or so I believe, for my needs at least...ready to be corrected.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

C'mon Chicks, why so confrontational all the time?

If "doing business like it was still 2005" means valuing your customers, listening to their concerns, and where possible accommodating them, then in my book that is a worthy endeavour. For Goodness sake, Rolls Royce (cars) are still doing business like it was 1905, and they're all the more respected for it.
The fact that they're facing stiff competition from Apple, Google, Amazon et al, is precisely why they should be trying to retain the support and loyalty of ALL their customers, not just Generation Z. Behaving like this is quite likely going to push more than a few of us towards those competitors...
No-one, let me say that again in case it's not going in... NO-ONE is suggesting anything that in any way inhibits or detracts from the ability of Sonos to to "keep up".
I am quite fed up of all the snarky "get over it" type remarks, it's not helpful, and it's not going to happen! Look. I fully respect your right not to give 2 hoots about this issue... you won't find any record of me, or to my recollection of all 12 pages of this thread, anyone else berating the "don't carers" for their belief. Please have the common decency to understand that it is perfectly the right of the "Do carers" to take a position that is different, and respect that belief without sniping all the time.
I do wonder if I'm talking to myself sometimes, as I keep making the same point over and over, and it just seems to be not sinking in to the minds of some people...
So, to anyone who's argument or attitude is that this bricking has to happen in order to allow Sonos to continue to innovate and develop the system in whichever way they see fit, will you PLEASE *explain* why you suggest that is so? - because it just simply isn't! - If I choose, right now, to step out of the upgrade cycle and maintain MY system on the current software, how in the name of all that is sane, does that affect Sonos, or anybody else for that matter?

I recently came across a computer that was running Windows 2000 workstation... the fact of that still existing, and still being operational has not in any way held Microsoft back from releasing XP, 7, 8, 8.1, & 10 - I don't hear people berating that Win2000 user for "holding everyone else back" - Microsoft don't give a stuff... - that Win2000 box is no burden to them, they don't have to maintain it - as some have erroneously suggested Sonos would need to do to leave CR100's running...

Please, all, keep it civil, if you're a "don't carer" then why are you here? - if to try to chip in with ideas then welcome! - if its to poke derision at the genuinely held anguish of others who are dreading what's coming, then that's really not very welcome at all.

Paul, thanks for addressing Chicks on his retort to my open comments, I try not to feed the bears or anyone that was never taught to be polite.

I am not offended when I am making proper comments and speaking out loud.
I was commenting to the remark made by a Sonos rep, AND would rather appreciate being told by Sonos exactly why (6) remotes that I own and use regularly are all about to become trash and why I should sit on hands and close my mouth.
I am sure they have been working on trying to "keep up" with all the new wiz-bang features being created today, BUT I am offended when my the functionality THAT I MADE THE PURCHASE DECISION ON is about to be ripped out in the process.

All the while we are being told "Its a battery issue" total crap.
I also work with and maintain Window 2000, XP, and even NT machines when placed in specialized environments and are required when $100,000+ lab gear REQUIRE it. anyone that thinks this does not happen all the time is a fool.
Sonos should find a way to respect their customers and make sure the product they created continues to work.
if you want to remove my ability to use something that I purchased based on the features you marketed to me, then buy it back. a single $100 coupon worth only $100 at your own store is only offensive as it does not make me whole.
at this point these things will become nothing but trash.

so in another handful of years will this happen to all "non voice controlled" models of Zone Players as technology marches on?
would not be surprised based on this issue.....

only way we can possibly "understand" the issue, is to really be told the truth, not the boardroom\lawyer created excuse.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hey folks,

I spoke with a Customer Care manager name Alder. Alder was very polite and professional. We had a very nice conversation and I now have a greater understanding of the issues. The primary concern is the Lithium battery. The second concern is the hardware and it's inability to support increased security. That means that because of the ruthless people who hack into our computers and other devices, Sonos and other software and hardware manufacturers have to continuously update the security to keep us safe. It's not just Sonos, but it is also the services that they allow us access to like Spotfly, Tunein, Google Play, etc. As those folks update their security to protect their consumers, so must Sonos if they want to offer access to those services. I understand that Sonos must grow to accommodate the ever changing market of consumers. This now makes sense to me. I explained to Alder that the email that was sent out had limited information and really should have had a bit more technical information.

There is a workaround to this and that is to disable any and all automatic updates from Sonos. Furthermore, I will block port 4444 on my router and figure out how to do that on all of my other devices just to make sure, I don't miss anything. Port 4444 is the one through which the updates are pushed. Below is the email he sent me summarizing our conversation.

Thank you for taking the time to take the call this morning regarding your Sonos CR100.

The CR100 controller – our first hardware controller - was launched in 2005. It’s now more than a decade old and has aging internal components and limited hardware memory to accommodate new software updates.

As explained, the primary concern is the controller’s integrated lithium ion battery. Lithium ion batteries are now known to have the potential to become overheated when left charging for extended periods of time. While I understand that you have replaced your controller's battery and this may not present to be an issue in your case; however, other limitations remain a concern, the controller’s aging microprocessors.

The technology world is now growing exponentially as well as the demand for more sophisticated software that require increased hardware capacity and security platform. The CR100 hardware limitation does not accommodate full software functionality and security policies that are required to continue working with our Music partners. For instance, Google Play Music and Pandora are currently inaccessible through the CR100, and others will soon follow.

As suggested, if you do not wish to update your Sonos system moving forward, please be sure to disable the "Automatic updates" feature on all your Sonos controller applications. Here's how:

iOS device: Sonos app > More > Settings > Advanced Settings > Auto check for updates > to be unchecked. This will also need to be done in the Apple App Store (Contact Apple Support for direction).

Android device: Sonos app > More > Settings > Advanced Settings > Auto check for updates > to be unchecked. This will also need to be done in the Android Play Store (Contact Google Support for direction).

Windows Sonos app: Manage > Settings > Advanced > General tab > System Updates > to be unchecked.

Mac Sonos app: Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > General tab > System Updates > to be unchecked.

Please be aware that by doing so, your Sonos system over time may lose functionality with other third-party services and devices as it will receive no additional updates. Moreover, you will not be able to add additional Sonos hardware to your system.

Additionally, without the continuous system updates, there is a possibility that existing music services in use now such as, TuneIn Radio or SiriusXM, may have reduced functionality or stop working altogether in the future.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this email and let me know.

Best Regards,

Adler R.
SONOS Customer Care
Userlevel 2
Badge
Total BS, finally ordered new batteries, received them yesterday and now this. Just installed the new battery as one of my controllers finally died. Works great, why do we need big brother to disconnect us? There should be a liability waiver opt out if they are worried about overheating. If we own one or more CR100's we were early adopters that supported and helped Sonos grow, one $100 credit is not what we need... with a way to change batteries, this should not be happening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
At least someone there acknowledged that if the system isn't updated to newer firmware it will in fact keep working. That was an unknown.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Common argument here but not entirely applicable:

Sonos is a product not a service. There is a reasonable expectation that if you purchase a product you can continue to use it until it breaks.

Sonos devices are not exclusively tied to a service the way something like a cell phone is. When many people purchased their Sonos gear there were not any services available except maybe tune-in. There is a reasonable expectation that if services are made available or change that they are optional and do not negatively impact the capabilities you originally paid for in the product if you choose to not use those optional services.

Sonos is a purchased product not something you lease like a cable box. There is a reasonable expectation that you will have the option to be left alone and not be forced or coerced to change your equipment at the convenience of the equipment provider. This includes an expectation that you can fix broken components or add additional components obtained on the open marketplace without being forced into a software or hardware change you don't want.

Existing customers are not responsible for supporting changes or innovations that drive future sales for Sonos. Sonos should compete with new features and products designed to attract new customers in a manner that does not create a hardship for existing customers. While Sonos is under no obligation to extend those innovations or features to existing customers they may at their discretion decide to do so to make their product more attractive in the marketplace. This does not imply an obligation or even a moral justification for existing customers to accept reduced function, limited ability to repair, or limited ability to expand their existing investment in order to continue using the product in the way they originally intended at the time of purchase.

Mike, excellent post,
Sonos, how about creating a Sonos-V2 firmware with specific system requirements and let technology keep working, and let us "simple" folks keep what we have as Sonos-Classic and let us enjoy what we have??
All the points Mike make are valid, and something I missed, this is hardware, and as an old time Consumer Audio Tech I can tell you I have repaired and maintained a load of great gear over the years, I love the Sonos product, but wont when it becomes less efficient to use than the old stuff.
for those who have never used the CR100, you truly have no idea how efficiant it is.
the App is not simple, so its not a favorite for everyone. but I bought hardware, and for absolutely no VALID reason the remotes are being killed.
they say the batteries are not replaceable, but evidently the battery re sellers on EBay never got the memo........
those of you who also have CR200's your next.
At least someone there acknowledged that if the system isn't updated to newer firmware it will in fact keep working. That was an unknown.

So, those who want it to work like it did in 2005, and don’t stream (unlike 93% of Sonos users), can freeze their system. Can’t add any new Sonos hardware, and are subject to hackers if their routers aren’t properly locked down. Everyone happy now? I’ll sell you my CR100 for $500 in a couple years, lol.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
The logical extension of this Sonos obsolescence is that in the room that currently has 6 Sonos products (plus a CR100) it'll only be the 1987 CD player (line-in source) that still works. How Ironic is that!

I've never replaced a CR100 battery and cycle them on the charger. One CR100 cracked after being dropped and even though the battery on that and another swelled, I used them until they would no longer charge. 5 of the remaining 6 are fine 10 years or more on and the other is on permanent charge (cabled not docked) in a conservatory where the sun might bake it - if it gets warm before April.

Can you imagine the outcry if Tesla did a TSB requiring the removal or disconnection of steering wheels once the autonomous thing is fully sorted?

Sonos - So NO (s)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for voicing your concerns here. We’re going to keep this as the main thread for this conversation so it’s all in one place. All the threads have been merged here, so my apologies if there are any conversations that had the flow messed up.

I want to provide more detail about exactly what will happen in the coming months and why. In early April, we will release a software upgrade that will no longer support the aging CR100. Here are your options:

• Accept the upgrade, understanding that your CR100 will no longer connect. This is our strong recommendation for two reasons: 1) due the age of the battery in the controller, it has the potential to overheat when left charging for extended periods of time 2) you will continue to receive the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates. This is a far better solution for safety and performance reasons, but we realize you’ll need to transition to a new controller. We have resources available to help you get set-up on an alternate controller and are offering a coupon code to sonos.com to help make the transition easier (amount varies regionally, one per household).
  • Ignore future upgrades, leaving your Sonos system on its current version. We do not recommend this option. If you do go this route, you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Additionally, opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system – not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100. It is necessary to configure your system in advance to avoid future updates. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.

Please reach out to discuss your specific situation and solutions with one of our team members, or if you’d like to better understand how to get set-up on an alternate controller. You can contact us directly at https://sonos.com/contact.

The CR100 can be disposed of at any local e-waste processing center in accordance with all local laws and regulations. To claim your coupon code or if you’d like a hand disposing of your CR100, please see here: https://www.sonos.com/cr100submit.

Updated March 23rd:
We appreciate the concern and your love of the CR100, and the team has been listening to your feedback here. We’ve tried to keep our reasons for making this decision clear.

The CR100 is a unique Sonos product as it has an internal lithium ion battery, which was never intended or recommended to be replaceable. Additionally, the hardware of the CR100 has aged. As you know, it already can’t keep up with new features. For these reasons, the best course of action for CR100s is to safely dispose of them.

We strive to keep products working with core functionality for as long as possible and we’ve worked to keep the hardware running for almost a decade since it was last available for sale. We have no plans to disconnect any of our legacy players, although in the future they may not get some new features that become available on newer Sonos products.

We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but ultimately this choice is yours. If you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, skipping the update in April that will disconnect the CR100 from your system, you will no longer be able to add speakers, and you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Whichever you choose, we’re here to help and answer questions.