Answered

SAVE THE CR100

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3319 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
As I understand it, it's question of priorities. Sonos no longer wanted to support the CR100 and came up with a number of reasons why. The battery fire risk reasoning has subsequently been withdrawn due to CPSC implications. However, the idea that the batteries might be worn out is still in the official statement (see Ryans post at the beginning of this thread).

Chig does bring up a good point though - anyone on the same network as a Sonos system can precipitate a upgrade, make changes, etc. There is no security. Passwords and like means to prevent unauthorized changes have been repeatedly requested and repeatedly ignored by management. It's one reason my Sonos will never get access to my primary NAS even if they undertake basic network security upgrades like SMB2+.

They may make that change, but then what else is lurking under the hood? Note how vague the updates are re: security bugs getting fixed... nothing specific is mentioned so the user has no idea which vulnerabilities have been patched and which are still open? Nope, Nope, Nope: Sonos only gets access to a copy of my music library.

FWIW, I don't think giving people a voucher that can only be spent at the Sonos store on additional Sonos equipment that doesn't have the same or better capabilities is in fact fair. They disabled perfectly functional equipment and didn't give the consumer much of a choice. Even with all the protections in place, my system is but a failure of one kind or the other from being forced to upgrade.

That to me is the real issue here. It's not that Sonos wants to innovate, etc. Let them, no worries. Just give me the choice regarding what firmware the system I allegedly own gets to run. Without that choice, I don't really own the system. I only own the hardware and Sonos decides how long I get to enjoy that experience before they effectively disable it.
My CR200 was dying from touch screen problems and the current iOS app for my use case (playing FLAC files off a NAS device) provides crappy experience. SonoPhone is a solid alternative but I prefer dedicated controllers. So just before the 8.5 upgrade was released, I took delivery of two CR100s from eBay and got them updated to 8.4 and locked down my network. But new batteries took more time to reach me so it was only last weekend that I was able to install them. Fortunately, when I restarted the controllers, they were able to connect to my network without issue. Now I have a "vintage" setup which I continue to enjoy, and the CR100 is definitely part of that enjoyment. When my current system no longer functions, or if I ever decide to add more players, I'm migrating to BlueSound since both product lines will be missing a dedicated controller anyway but the latter supports SMB2 / SMB3 and handles a library of 200,000 tracks maximum.
Userlevel 1
If the Sonos app wasn't such a train wreck I wouldn't mind losing my CR100s, but as it is, I am not happy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Update on the iPort eXpress keypads...

Sure enough all 3 of them were a devil to initially setup... - in every case they repeatedly refused to join my WiFi network, then repeatedly refused to find any players once on the network, and then repeatedly refused to see my Sonos Favourites.

Each of them took about an hour to setup, 55 minutes of which was with my iPhone on the desk repeatedly stabbing the "retry" button a dozen or more times for each of the 4-5 steps required in the setup process.

Eventually, I finally got them all configured & deployed, and since then, there have been zero issues with any of them talking to their associated players, so there really is nothing wrong with my WiFi...

In use they are a little slower to respond to most commands than a CR100 - I have mounted my 3 iPort keypads right next to my 3 CR100's in an endeavour to maybe over time be able to wean myself off the CR100's...

The slower response is most noticeable when stopping playback - the music stops instantly when I hit the play/pause on the CR100 - before I even have time to lift my finger off the button, whereas there's a definite and noticeable delay when I pause the same stream from the iPort.. Starting the stream doesn't give the same noticeable difference, likely because there's an inbuilt delay that either device has to bear, in actually making the connection over the internet & starting the stream... - you can see this clearly when starting it from the CR100, when the display briefly says "connecting..." and/or "starting..."

Volume adjustment is also subject to a slight delay on the iPorts, I suspect they must go into a low power mode - they are after all purely running on battery, with no constant charge connection like the CR100's have. When pressing a button on the iPorts, there's a short (maybe 1 second) delay until the white LED on them flashes a couple of times, which I presume is it waking up & reconnecting to the WiFi. Once you're used to it, the delay isn't unbearable, although it can be a little disconcerting at times, especially when one is used to the instantaneous response one gets from the CR100s

I find I do rather like the favourites functionality, and that is something I'd often thought would have been a nice to have on the CR100's, although the lack of any kind of feedback about what particular favourite is selected via the keypad isn't the best end user experience in the world, and makes it impractical to have more than a few favourites assigned to the keypad (I've stopped at 3 favourites per pad) - alternating through them kinda means I have to stop, wait for the stream to start, listen for a few seconds, and then I can figure out which particular favourite has just been selected, and whether it's the one I want or not...

There's 2 mounting options in the box.. - one is specifically designed to be used with a decora faceplate, and since I don't have decora faceplates in my house (I have CBUS light switches everywhere), I don't use that mounting option since it wouldn't look all that great (exposed screw holes etc.) The other option is just a small rectangle of plastic with a magnet on one side, and double-sided tape on the other to stick it to the wall. This is the mounting option I've used. In use, I'm finding this a less than entirely satisfactory experience; the magnet isn't very strong, and doesn't hold the keypad firmly in place. I haven't found myself knocking it totally off the wall yet (and since 2 of 3 CR100s are next to bathroom handbasins that could be rather destructive) - I don't think it would take much to knock them off though. I have however found that when pressing buttons on them, the whole keypad has a tendency to move (swivel) on its magnet, so they end up being misaligned, and to someone as OCD as I am, not being in perfect portrait orientation jars... I think the decora option would be better in this regard, as there's actually an indentation that the entire keypad sits within - and presumably a proper faceplate over the top would also help too, so perhaps I can try to source a few of them & contrive a better mounting arrangement.

So all in all a somewhat mixed set of experiences & reactions so far, but it is early days yet. I am however thankful that for the time being at least, I do still have my trusty & ever reliable CR100s to hand...
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Still here - Just thought I'd share a message from customer services I received some time ago!

Good afternoon Dave,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

If the battery is no longer safe then we think that it's a good enough reason to discontinue this device. As this is the only type of batteries that this devices would work with, you probably understand why we are not simply changing them.

The options that we give and recommend are Smart devices since they're the only ones you will be able to control your Sonos system with, and the CR200, of course.

We're customer focused since we care about your safety by letting you know that this battery is dangerous and therefore can cause damage in your house........

Customer focussed = not quite the truth.

Didn't bother with the voucher - didn't need anymore dangerous devices.:D
Userlevel 1
Just adding my disappointment about the bricking of the CR100.
The CR100 was "wife friendly". It was guest friendly. To get the wife to use an app to play music, no matter how good an app is, will never be "wife friendly." If it is not simple, it will not be used.
I got the notice, and choose not to upgrade. Unfortunately the latest iOS app upgrade refused to work without upgrading the SONOS system. Then the CR100 was bricked.
And the voucher is no good for Australia.
So please bring back basic functionality for the CR100. Clock, Pause, Play, Volume, Room. I don't care if the choice of music (play list / station etc) has to be made by the iOS app.
Just adding my disappointment about the bricking of the CR100.
The CR100 was "wife friendly". It was guest friendly. To get the wife to use an app to play music, no matter how good an app is, will never be "wife friendly." If it is not simple, it will not be used.

Many thanks! I for one am not too dumb to handle the Sonos app.
Userlevel 1
My wife is certainly not "dumb" but has no desire to learn to use technology or read an instruction manual. She has apps on the phone for unlocking doors, controlling the alarm, lights, av system, dishwasher, and Sonos to name a few. She says that if it is not simple (the KISS principle) she will not use it. For example, some people prefer to turn a light on or off at the switch rather than find their phone, then work out which app to use, and then how to use the app. I agree, with the first, hence applying the KISS principle, there are sensors in the rooms to detect presence or absence and turn the light on or off (and to different dimming depending on the time of day). All she wants is to turn the SONOS on or off, and up and down without having to find her phone, work out which app to use, and how to use the app.
[...] All she wants is to turn the SONOS on or off, and up and down without having to find her phone, work out which app to use, and how to use the app.
There is no chance that Sonos will revive the CR100. Either your wife get used to using the Controller app or you will be the one in control (of the system). 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Or get an iport xpress?
Userlevel 1
The third and more likely option (albeit costly) is that no more SONOS will be added, and the system will be decommissioned and replaced. I will also cease recommended to neighbours to buy SONOS. So far 3 have.
The third and more likely option (albeit costly) is that no more SONOS will be added, and the system will be decommissioned and replaced. I will also cease recommended to neighbours to buy SONOS. So far 3 have.
Oh, there's already a long queue joining that line.^^
Userlevel 1
No queue, just a exodus.

Bockersjv. Will look at the iport xpress in the interim. There would seem to be a market for a similar device to fit and be charged in the CR100 charging cradle.
Userlevel 2
Well, having been outraged by the forced obscelescence of my smartphone (because the Sonos app would no longer work) and having been headed off by the forced obscelescence of the CR100 I bought. I have put my Sonos ZP100, Boost and 2 Play 1s on eBay. I don't care if I make a loss. My other half wants the remaining Play 1 to stay so, as I gave it to her it will have to stay. I have bought myself a second hand Exposure amplifier and a separate DAC. Neither of which can be shut down against my will. I will not be recommending or buying Sonos products again. A brilliant product whose manufacturer has shot in the foot.
No queue, just a exodus.

Exodus to where/what? Can you name another multi-room music system that has dedicated hard button controllers similar to the CR100?
Dictionary definition of 'exodus': 'a mass departure of people'. Therefore an inappropriate use of language. But at least in keeping with many other examples of exaggerated and emotive language on this thread ('murder', 'holocaust', 'theft' etc)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can you link you ebay sale …. as I can't find any ZP100 for sale other than 1 from a dealer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Dictionary definition of 'exodus': 'a mass departure of people'. Therefore an inappropriate use of language. But at least in keeping with many other examples of exaggerated and emotive language on this thread ('murder', 'holocaust', 'theft' etc)

The first sentence of this whole thread "Losing our two CR100s will be the most devastating thing to happen to our household." and you would expect any less.

If loosing the CR100 were the most devastating thing to ever happen to my family then I would certainly not be a complainer.
Userlevel 2
Hello Chris, it’s on the UK site, currently at £180 with 3 bids.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
smart people
@ cheesed off - if you were outraged by the fact that your smartphone could no longer support the Sonos app, I assume you intend to boycott Apple or whoever made the smartphone too?
Userlevel 2
Yes Mr B. I am very disappointed to see the forced retirement of perfectly good equipment simply to accommodate the whims of teenage girls. We live in a wasteful society. Tell me you care for the planet when you replace a mobile phone every couple of years. The Samsung will go until it dies.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Was just sitting here staring at my old cr100 , trying to toss it out.. ugh.. It was practically a member of the family for so many years.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
CR100 - Murdered by a Friendly
- a true story -

2 Hours ago my CR100 was murdered. I watched as the unstoppable software download boasting "Alexis" slowly suffocated it to death. A life that serviced me for 11 years. It was my bedside light, alarm clock and most of all , it governed over the finicky IOS apps that persist to perform poorly.

My CR100 was killed by my good friend. By accident. He was visiting from out of town. He had always remarked how much he liked my Sonos set-up . He is now a proud owner and building his own 'network' with 3 Play 1's in action.

My friend and I were in my home, enjoying leisure tins of ale, when he innocently accessed my wi-fi network with his updated/upgraded Sonos App and before I could moan .. NOOOOOOO.... the cancerous update had been let into the house. It took hold of my iPhone 6, demanding to be updated. It froze my CR100 with its' proclaimed death sentence: "This controller has older software than the rest of your system (it has sniffed my friend's updated version). You need to update the software on this controller. Press the OK button to start (the sequence of death).

I panicked. I screamed at the CR100, shook it, mashed it buttons in hopes to rid the ominous infection. But I knew. I've read this forum from start to finish. I was determined to never - ever download this fiendish upgrade, My CR100 will always remain protected in my care and will always govern the household with a steady clickwheel and a firm grasp of the firmware.

Alas, there was no way to re-set, turn-off, take back what had been done. I tried a hurried Google search to see if there was something drastic that could be done, to turn things back.

Alas, its fate was sealed - against my will, against my consent.

I looked at my CR100 and pressed it's center button for the last time and watched as the updated download commenced. I watched the download bar fill up with the death serum of "Alexis ", that squeezed out the very life of this very functional and very important piece of my Sonos system. Then it was done. My CR100 was dead. Killed by an innocent gesture by a good friend. But the actual murder had been intentionally planned out by a company who has misrepresented themselves as a company that really cares about the customer experience with their product. I won't be requesting the 'death certificate' voucher. I certainly won't be buying any more Sonos product. I certainly won't be sharing it's value to other good friends who take notice of how it works. But as I now try and look around these forums and other websites and products in search of some kind of controller replacement ... I may just stumble upon a whole other wireless sound system ... did someone just say . Bose?

My heart-felt condolences to you
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
No queue, just a exodus.

Exodus to where/what? Can you name another multi-room music system that has dedicated hard button controllers similar to the CR100?
I think Control4 does?