Samsung Tablet 10.1 and the Sonos App

• 2 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I have an older Samsung Tablet GT-P7510) at the moment running Android 4.0.4. It's based in the kitchen used for family stuff. I thought it would be obvious to use this tablet also as a Sonos controller running the Sonos app, but... (and I am aware others have described this problem, but I have not yet found an acceptable solution..).

The Sonos app will not run, saying it needs a newer Android version, but when I try to do a software update, I am told there is no new update available.

Since using another device is not an option (or rather I do that also), I think I have three options:
Somehow upgrade the Android from anther source than the Play store, but is that possible, will it work, will it be stable?
Somehow downgrade the Sonos controller app to a version that works with the Android version I have, but is that possible and where would I find older versions?
Find a third-party app or a web based service for controlling my Sonos system but do they exist, do they work? This solution would not be optimal, since for better or worse we have gotten used to the Sonos app and would prefer to have the same system.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with you suggestions, experience and opinions.

Niels

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I think what is happening is that you do have the latest version of Android that your (old) device is capable of running. You cannot downgrade Sonos app. There are other apps out there, but I don't know whether any would run on your tablet.

I would spend $/£50 on an Amazon Fire tablet and use it as a dedicated controller.
Yes I just got out my old Samsung Tablet and reset it and have the latest version of Android it can take. Was looking forward to using on wall as a Sonos Controller. No joy, same error. Not cool Mr Sonos.