Samsung Galaxy A8, Android Pie Update, Sonos Draining Battery

• 16 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I have a Samsung Galaxy A8, which I have been using pretty happily with my Sonos System on all the latest software, but I just received the Android Pie (9) update, and now Sonos is draining my Battery 30% of the usage just by Sonos in the last 8 hours another 25% is by the Play Services, and the phone is getting horribly hot!

I updated the Sonos App after the operating system, which may have helped a little, but to get more than 11 hours of battery life (where before I had 24+) I have had to uninstall the Sonos App.

Having had to ditch my trusty CR100 controllers (To which I managed to buy some Play1's and a Beam), Now I find I cant use the device of choice to control Sonos and it still be a useful phone. I see many threads on here about Battery life issues, and many threads on Android Pie and Media issues, but if the main interface to Sonos is an android phone and it's not usable how am I supposed to control it? After all my Phone is a Phone first, a Sonos controller well less than 2nd! Only option is now a Windows PC... very handy...!

What can I do to stop Sonos and Play Services draining my battery on Android Pie? These have both stopped after de-installing the Sonos App.

I include a screenshot of the battery monitor since deinstalling Sonos and fully charging, this morning at full charge it showed 11h available, but without Sonos on the phone, you can see I still have predicted 10h after 7 hrs of actual use, and the graph shows how reduced the usage is without Sonos to the predicited available on past usage when it did have Sonos.

What can I do? Please fix this issue!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Having taken Sonos off my Phone all was back to normal, so after a coupe of days happy the phone was lasting well, I reinstalled the Sonos App, and straight away Sonos is draining the battery, phone gets hot and Sonos tops the usage list.

I'm not even at home so why is Sonos draining the battery!
I am starting to notice this as well on my Galaxy S10. I am not using the sonos app on my phone the last couple days and it still shows running for hours and 7.2% battery usage, more than any other app or system service.

I do not remember this when I first got my s10. Did something change in the app? Is there a way to know what it is doing? I do not have it up at all in my active apps.