Samba Connectivity | Terribly Disappointed

• 29 April 2017
  • 15 replies

The Sonos Controller is unable to connect to the Music Library if the Samba Server is on Linux

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Works for me, and has always done since I first set up my Sonos system to talk to my Linux Samba server over 10 years ago. I will add that since that time, I have only ever used my Sonos system with Linux Samba servers, or SMB shares on Linux based NAS devices. I've never, personally, used a Windows SMB server with Sonos.

It looks like you might have something set up wrong.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Agreed. Works perfectly for me, with Samba hosted on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.
Great, perhaps you can help. The samba connection was working fine, then it just stopped probably with (either of) the controller "upgrades" or Fedora upgrades. What version of Linux are you using? I should note that all other samba clients on the network are working perfectly. It is only the Sonos connection that is unable to connect. It will neither connect via the windows based controller or the android based controller. I am able to connect with no issue whatsoever using for example the app AndSMB. I am able to connect windows clients to the samba server on linux. I have four samba clients and they work just fine. I am using the default protocol NT1. There is something about how Sonos makes the handshake that causes a problem. Some of those problems are documented here http://www.peel.dk/Sonos.html which remain unresolved but there are workarounds. Let me know if it would help to post my smb.conf file. Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 1
you *must* have "ntlm auth=yes" in the global section of your smb.conf file in order for SONOS to connect. They are still using an older version of the protocol that newer linux systems have disabled by default.
@Majik, @pwt I'm running Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop. I had it working until about three months ago. Not sure which side broke this functionality Sonos update or Ubuntu update. Well now it doesn't work I get Access Denied. I don't have "ntlm auth=yes" or anything ntlm related in my smb.conf file. Accessing the share from Windows, Android, Mac all work. This has caused me a great deal of frustration.

**To Sonos**: If you're reading this and it matters to you I think there's more to be desired with your support for Linux. I like your execution overall in this industry but your total neglect of Linux users is somewhat troubling. Yes indeed my problem with my Samba may not be your fault but I do feel like no Linux controller leads me down this path.

Btw I do get your emails about why I should add to my Sonos I was considering it but since I cannot access my Music Library I'm actually rethinking the utility of Sonos at my house
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@Majik, @pwt I'm running Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop. I had it working until about three months ago. Not sure which side broke this functionality Sonos update or Ubuntu update. Well now it doesn't work I get Access Denied. I don't have "ntlm auth=yes" or anything ntlm related in my smb.conf file. Accessing the share from Windows, Android, Mac all work. This has caused me a great deal of frustration.

**To Sonos**: If you're reading this and it matters to you I think there's more to be desired with your support for Linux. I like your execution overall in this industry but your total neglect of Linux users is somewhat troubling. Yes indeed my problem with my Samba may not be your fault but I do feel like no Linux controller leads me down this path.

So, are you just refusing to try adding the ntlm auth line, or what's the takeaway here?

I get that you're saying "it used to work", but it doesn't now. Why wouldn't you try something that will likely address your issue?
Of course I will try that and share the feedback. Yesterday when I read the comment about 'ntlm auth' it was not clear to me where to put that but sounds like anywhere under the global section.
You are right that worked! I should have tried that before venting. Point well taken. Very excited. Thanks again.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You are right that worked! I should have tried that before venting. Point well taken. Very excited. Thanks again.I'm glad it worked, and you can get back to enjoying Sonos! 🆒
you *must* have "ntlm auth=yes" in the global section of your smb.conf file in order for SONOS to connect. They are still using an older version of the protocol that newer linux systems have disabled by default.
sprataw, you did not receive your just accolades for this succinct and useful answer. Such insight does not happen often on community sites. I wanted to write to say 'well done' and thank you.

Fantastic. Have just upgraded my music server from Debian Jessie to Stretch (aka Debian 9) - Samba was clearly working (from Windows & OSX) but the Sonos system would not authenticate - gave the unable to connect / check username / password error, setting this in my smb.conf file fixed things... many thanks!
Badge
Put me on the list of grateful Linux users for the "ntlm auth=yes" configuration change. For me it was a necessary add on my CentOS server when upgrading from samba 4.4 to 4.5.

Many thanks,
Ted
I just migrated from an Ubuntu 12.04 file server to a raspberry pi running raspbian 9. Samba sharing was working fine on the old server, so I used it's samba config as a basis for the raspberry pi, but no love. Spent several hours over a couple days trying to debug it (my Macbook could connect easily). Wasn't 'til I came across this post and sprataw's advice that I got it working. There oughta be a SONOS samba help file with this info somewhere in the controller for when you have difficulty connecting.

Thanks for this tip. For years, sonos connected to my ubuntu samba shares, but stopped last week. I went in circles until I understood this and needed to update my smb.conf file. However, SONOS, GET UP TO SPEED ON SECURITY! Sheesh!