s2 update affects dynamic range of music

It seems like since the update to the S2 controller music has a greater dynamic range. While this may be nice for some listening environments, it is terrible when listening to classical music on a Single play 1 at bedtime. A way to turn on some Dynamic compression would be a great feature. The same would be true when listening to background dinner music. I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks

2 replies

I agree. In the audiophile world compression is viewed as some sort of crime against music, but in situations such as yours or in very noisy environments such as an automobile, playback compression is useful. I’m not a fan of compression of the source material. Unfortunately, this is the current norm for commercial music. It can be shown that compression results in increased sales because, particularly for pop material, most listening is done in noisy environments. For many years I have been a fan of adding a playback compression function to audio gear.

By the way compression is available when watching TV using one of the soundbars.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It seems like since the update to the S2 controller music has a greater dynamic range. While this may be nice for some listening environments, it is terrible when listening to classical music on a Single play 1 at bedtime. A way to turn on some Dynamic compression would be a great feature. The same would be true when listening to background dinner music. I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks

I have both S1 and S2 components, and I’m not detecting any change in dynamic range. I’d be surprised if there was.

One thing to check is whether your Loudness setting has remained the same across the upgrade. A change in this setting could be perceived as a change in dynamic range compression, particularly at lower volumes.