S2 Not Ready for Primetime

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you’re on the fence about upgrading to S2, my humble advice to you: DON’T do it!  Not a mature platform.  

It’s slow, buggy, unstable, and should never have been released in in the condition it is in.  It has transformed me from a huge Sonos fan to having zero faith and appreciation for the technology.

Oh, and by the way, there really is NO additional value over S1.  So there’s ZERO reason to make that move--stick with the mature option and adopt in a year or two when S2 sucks a little less--hoping that day comes sooner.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

You will need to be on S2 in order to setup an Arc, Five, of Sub Gen 3.

And I’m sure there are hundreds of thousands of users, including myself, that are using S2 with no issues whatsoever. No changes from S1 in terms of usability, other than I can now control my Arc. It’s not any slower, or buggier, or any of the other issues you assert. Works essentially the same as the previous version of the app.

If you’re having specific issues with your system, I’m sure there are a lot of people who would be willing to help you resolve them. But just because your system is challenged, and  failing in some way, doesn’t necessarily mean that those issues apply to all users. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Nope, these are clearly issues with S2 that did not exist nor occur with S1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Nope, these are clearly issues with S2 that did not exist nor occur with S1.

S2 is the same as s1 but supports the new devices. It's literally the same but different icon. What problems are you having with it?

Userlevel 2
Badge

They are not literally the same, as you put it.  In fact, they are literally different.  As Sonos itself explains, it is a “new app *and* operating system.”  I added the asterisks.

I would agree with you that the new S2 app offers no additional value, which is essentially what you’re saying when you state “it’s just a different icon.”  It’s the poor performance and instability of this new operating system and software that I take issue with.

Just providing my humble advice to others to help them avoid the poor end-user experience that I now live with since updating to that new icon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I personally haven’t had any issues with S2 … but if your currently happy running S1 there is no need to upgrade until you either get a new device or S2 adds a new most have feature (which it currently does not have any).

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

S2 has worked fine with my two Sonos Amps and Play 1.  One functional change I like is how it keeps previously grouped systems together.  I recently upgraded my daughters system which also uses a Sonos Amp and she claims it sounds better with Spotify.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The pre-made room groups are nice too … but not a must have yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Agree S2 brings little or no value (unless the ARC) and yes unfortunately have upgraded without ongoing reverting to S1. Since upgrading , spend numerous hours on phone with support yet issues not resolved. S2 app is slow, sluggish and slow to respond. Half of the time it doesn’t find speakers, only finds half, taking 10+seconds (and before u ask I’m using recent, moderne &fast  iPhone/iPad devices)
So yes can’t agree more Sonos didn’t do the community a favor releasing this buggy, slow, immature S2 software , especially Not without providing a rollback method

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have no problem with S2 whatsoever.

No problem accessing my music folders serve by Synology NAS.

No problem connecting to ARC, Sub, SL pair and Playbar. 

No problem accessing Sonos Radio.

No problem accessing TuneIn radio.

No problem performing tuning of Sonos with S2.

No problem controlling TV volume.

No problem sending text messages to Sonos speakers using HASSIO. 

I don’t know what is your problem other than generic remarks of ‘unstable, slow, buggy...’

A what, when, how on your usage/particular issue will allow the community to help you. Only if you require help. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Agree S2 brings little or no value (unless the ARC) and yes unfortunately have upgraded without ongoing reverting to S1. Since upgrading , spend numerous hours on phone with support yet issues not resolved. S2 app is slow, sluggish and slow to respond. Half of the time it doesn’t find speakers, only finds half, taking 10+seconds (and before u ask I’m using recent, moderne &fast  iPhone/iPad devices)
So yes can’t agree more Sonos didn’t do the community a favor releasing this buggy, slow, immature S2 software , especially Not without providing a rollback method

So true.