S2 is getting "pushy"

• 26 February 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Recently, the reminder that “It’s time to update” is not going away and stays on top of the screen. I get it. Sonos is becoming impatient. Fine. I will do it. But here is a sincere recommendation for the folks at Sonos:

Every month I checked if there was a new meaningful release of the app. 8 months long I have been reading the same release note on the iOS AppStore: “Performance enhancements and improved reliability.” Of course, I checked the Sonos website and know about the changes in hi-res and WiFi 5 GHz. But the AppStore is your image, your business card.

Sonos, this is so lazy. Take an example from other apps, whose release notes on AppStore are fun to read, which give you the feeling that there is a creative team behind the software, selling quality of life, not some generic software. Besides, reading these same release notes without end in sight gives me the feeling that S2 is ultra-buggy.

This is just my thought. Don't know if other customers even read the release notes. But think about it, please. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

The app is just a remote control.  The real action is in the system updates, which have no connection to the app stores.  Enhancements like 5GHz and HiRes are not achieved through changes to the app, although there might be associated tweaks to the app.  This is very different from most other apps.

\i realise that your focus is more on the image presented, though.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I see your point. You’re correct. The app release notes technically are different from the OS updates. At the same time the OS updates often concur with app releases, as far as I remember. I guess, if I was Sonos, I would advertise the changes in the app and the corresponding changes in the OS. Such as “You can now play HiRes from selected sources” or “it's Friday and we thought we make the app shine a bit more, polish this and that. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for using.” Or “we have fixed this error which we only know about because you let us know about it. Please continue to write us on the support forum. Looking forward to reading you”. That's managing image. But hey. That's for Sonos to consider. 

I That's managing image. But hey. That's for Sonos to consider. 

Well that’s true of any suggestion on here - it is still worth suggesting.  Sonos does sometimes seem to treat information disclosure like it was a matter of national security….

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The need to REMOVE the nagging S2 Update that will not go away from the S1 app on my iPhone. I have components on my system that prevent me form going to S2 and currently I do not see a justification to spend over 1K to move to S2.

I am NOT purchasing anymore SONOS until I here how they are going to handle the SMB1 legacy protocol issue that will not be supported by Microsoft and NAS’s “Network Attached Storage” devices in the future. We have been asking for an official answer from SONOS and no one responds.

I have only older components, So definitely no need to update. How can I get rid of this message. I do not pay to get annoyed by your advertisement for new components. I have paid my part and do not want to get annoyed anymore.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have a bunch of Play:1s and Play:3s. I don’t use Alexa or Google assistants. I use a couple of streaming services and some audio files on my network. That’s it.  S2 brings nothing to the table that I need, but does preclude me from buying an old ZonePlayer off craigslist to plug into my home theater speakers.

In short, there’s nothing in it for me to update. 

@Sonos needs to respond to these concerns. @James L. gives removal tips that don’t remove the notification. I wonder why?

Badge +17

I have a bunch of Play:1s and Play:3s. I don’t use Alexa or Google assistants. I use a couple of streaming services and some audio files on my network. That’s it.  S2 brings nothing to the table that I need, but does preclude me from buying an old ZonePlayer off craigslist to plug into my home theater speakers.

@Sonos needs to respond to these concerns. @James L. gives removal tips that don’t remove the notification. I wonder why?

I hear you. It’s not necessary to tag us on 7+ different threads for the same question. The removal tips I gave apply to those who have players that are incapable of upgrading to S2. If you have a household that only has players that are S2 capable, then the banner will persist until you choose to upgrade. 

We want to make sure that our customers are getting the best from their Sonos system by not missing out on new features or updates. This in-app message is a reminder to help our customers have a better ongoing listening experience by upgrading to S2.

We will continue to support Sonos S1 with bug fixes and security patches, however, the difference between S1 and S2 is growing as we add new products and features to the Sonos experience.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Sonos needs to respond to these concerns. @James L. gives removal tips that don’t remove the notification. I wonder why?

I hear you. It’s not necessary to tag us on 7+ different threads for the same question. The removal tips I gave apply to those who have players that are incapable of upgrading to S2. If you have a household that only has players that are S2 capable, then the banner will persist until you choose to upgrade. 

We want to make sure that our customers are getting the best from their Sonos system by not missing out on new features or updates. This in-app message is a reminder to help our customers have a better ongoing listening experience by upgrading to S2.

We will continue to support Sonos S1 with bug fixes and security patches, however, the difference between S1 and S2 is growing as we add new products and features to the Sonos experience.

My current set up is capable of upgrading to S2 but right now I have no desire to do so. S1 does everything I need reliably and only receiving bug fixes and security patches is a positive in my book, thanks. Why you have to keep pushing customers who don’t want to update! At the moment I am feeling more likely to buy a second hand Sonos speaker that makes my system incompatible with S2 to stop the constant reminders to update, than to buy any new Sonos equipment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My current set up is capable of upgrading to S2 but right now I have no desire to do so. S1 does everything I need reliably and only receiving bug fixes and security patches is a positive in my book, thanks. Why you have to keep pushing customers who don’t want to update! At the moment I am feeling more likely to buy a second hand Sonos speaker that makes my system incompatible with S2 to stop the constant reminders to update, than to buy any new Sonos equipment. 

I bought a second hand ZP90 for this very reason, all my kit was S2 compliant and was sick of the constant upgrade banner..

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you have a household that only has players that are S2 capable, then the banner will persist until you choose to upgrade. 

We want to make sure that our customers are getting the best from their Sonos system by not missing out on new features or updates.

I appreciate your honesty, finally, in the portion that I bolded. You need to make this clearer to your users, that you will not leave us alone until we do what you want.  And if you find my tagging you in multiple threads annoying, maybe you will begin to understand your users’ experience with S1, which annoys us every time we attempt to use it.

Question:  Given my system (a mix of Play1s and Play3s, we don’t use any voice assistants, we don’t use Airplay, we don’t have Sonos hooked up to hour home theater), what new features am I missing out on in S2?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos update of S1 reintroduces the possibility to click away the banner with the upgrade nudge. It's solved. Thank you Sonos team.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Well, how about that! Thanks for listening, @Sonos 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just to record here for posterity that since this weeks release of an S1 update I was unable to make any changes to my S1 system until I had applied the update. No removal of music services was possible, no changes allowed to the schedule for scanning my local music library.

I would like to know how Sonos manages this?? How is it that my system functionality actually changes, without updating any software??  Last week I could make changes, this week until the S1 update was applied I was blocked.

Strange, huh?

Edit. And now of course, having updated I need to switch off the notifications for S2. Which, thankfully, I can!