S2 Help

• 9 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi All

Since upgrading to S2 my devices keep falling off the wifi network. No idea what I need to do, I am a complete dunce when it comes to wifi configuration, dhcp, etc so I hope this is a relatively easy fix.

My current and long served set up is as follows.

Virginmedia Hub 3.0, Google Mesh wifi network with three hubs.

Iphone 11promax iOS 14.4. I have ensured that Sonos is selected ON in the Local Network settings.

S2 version 12.2.7

Sonos Products
living room: Sub, Beam, Two Play 1’s. connected to LG TV.

Kitchen: Play5 newest generation.

Music Room; I had a play5 first gen, it is powered off and I await (today) the delivery of a new Play5 having upgraded with the 30% discount. I do not have the S1 app on my phone or that legacy device connected, it is powered off.

So before S2, I was running S1 and before that of course the sonos app. All was sweet, smooth and I had no connectivity issues that were apparent.

Despite doing each of the items below OR a combination thereof the S2 app occasionally returns the “cannot connect to wifi”

1. power off my main virginmedia router, wait, power up.
  1. power off the sonos kit, wait power up.

2. Reinstall from fresh the Kitchen Play 5 (factory reset).

3. do NOTHING and it all rights itself.

4. Connect a sonos component to a router with a cat5 cable.

I think the only thing that is left to me is  complete factory reset of all devices,  power everything off, router included, reset the S2 App, then potentially re-register the devices one by one and start again….

this is massively inconvenient but I will do it if this is going to fix it once and for all.

Apologies for separate thread, i have read many topics in the forums, I am a novice on wifi etc I am not technical, this is particularly frustrating as I have had my system work flawlessly for several years. Hope someone can help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +20

One of your Sons devices needs to be conned to the first (main) Google Mesh point. Wifi on your Virgin router needs to be turned off.

DO not factory reset, it won’t help.

Badge

One of your Sons devices needs to be conned to the first (main) Google Mesh point. Wifi on your Virgin router needs to be turned off.

DO not factory reset, it won’t help.

Thank you, I will check that in the next 30mins. I dont see any wifi on my vm router there is no ssid being broadcasted, but I will to into the router via the admin table and double check and switch it off. I will then connect one device via rj45 cable to the googlemesh point. I do have connectivity ok right now however, all seems to be working fine, but as i explained above there appears no logic to when and where it drops off.  I will try the above first though and ensure I have tried that at least. Thank you.

Badge

Heads up. So far so good. Turns out my virgin media router was sending out the same ssid as my google mesh hub. 

I had a fight all day getting the vm super hub 3.0 into router mode. Even then when I did I could not get my mesh to connect to the internet. I tried to factory reset my google mesh and reassign but it made no difference. 

eventually after calls to India I got the super hub back and internet access  I then as a workaround changed the vm ssid to a different name… so far therefore so good  

my new play 5 didn’t arrive but my s2 app appears stable