Answered

S2 Dark Mode Timeline

Now that S2 has been out for almost a year, are there any updates as to whether dark mode is being worked on? I mostly use my Sonos at night when I'm home, and it's very annoying to have the Sonos app blind me in the dark as I'm trying to listen to relaxing music to sleep. Nearly all my other apps have a dark mode already, and even my small regional bank app has a dark mode. It's become part of the design guidelines for Android and iOS such that the Sonos app sticks out like a sore thumb at night. Please update us or raise the priority if it's not yet being worked on! 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 May 2021, 15:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rice Soup 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Unfortunately, we don’t have any news to share today about introducing dark mode on Sonos S2. We’d be happy to share your interest with our development team.

Hi Corry, thanks for your reply. With all due respect, there are posts going back 10 months ago asking for dark mode in S2, and S1 apparently had a dark mode at one point. There have been other feature requests6 in total so far. What am I wondering is if there is any formal system where this has been entered into for someone to actually get working on, or is the dev team just not considering this at all and never has been. It seems like such an easy thing to do that would improve quality of life so much. Even the desktop app already has a dark theme. The light theme on the app is so blinding!

There are lots of feature requests and Sonos rarely, if ever, gives an indication of whether they are working on something, still less a timeline. You will know that this has reached the top of the priority list if and when the feature is added (based on past experience).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Corry, thanks for your reply. With all due respect, there are posts going back 10 months ago asking for dark mode in S2, and S1 apparently had a dark mode at one point. There have been other feature requests6 in total so far. What am I wondering is if there is any formal system where this has been entered into for someone to actually get working on, or is the dev team just not considering this at all and never has been. It seems like such an easy thing to do that would improve quality of life so much. Even the desktop app already has a dark theme. The light theme on the app is so blinding!

“It seems like such an easy thing to do” clearly said by someone who has never had to actually code this, and even more so if you have a Design team that never considered such a thing when originally creating the “experience”.

The Desktop apps use a “dark theme” because it has always been that way, and their UX was frozen many years ago, before the mobile app redesigns. They don’t have a “light theme” of course, so someone probably complains about that I am sure.

My own apps support light and dark modes because my UX is “simple” - I use the default colors for everything, and there is nothing resembling a “design team” to argue with. Even then there are weird gotchas I hit on iOS that needed some special cases added.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rice Soup 

We treat all feature requests here the same - we thank the person for the feedback, and tag the topic so it and others can be found on-mass by those within Sonos looking for a compilation. I didn’t want to tell you that someone has already suggested this and imply therefore that you shouldn’t - it’s not up to you to keep track of feature requests, and this would be a good way of ensuring we get less feedback. Certainly the more topics or activity there is on a single suggestion, the more notice those in a position to facilitate it will take.

When we do plan to add a feature, this is kept from most in the company - and when we, as individuals, do know we don’t share it as people take that as a promise that something will happen, and soon. All I can say for sure, at this point, is that someone from the development team will have looked into this feature and considered it. If they have decided to go ahead with the feature, the first you - or I - will know about it is when it comes out (I might get a week’s advance, depending on the level of support that might be needed).

For what it’s worth, I personally completely agree with you - the Sonos app needs a dark mode.