Answered

s2 app on android version 7

• 15 May 2021
  • 4 replies

i have a sony phone using android version 7. My sonos s2 app (version 12.2.2) is prompting me to download the new version 13.0.01 which I understand is not compatible. I cannot use my app, and i cannot download the new version.

What should I do ? is there an older version of the s2 app that I can reinstall so I can still control my system?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 May 2021, 15:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Google no longer support that version of Android, so there are potential security issues around that device going forward. Sonos usually do support such products for a while afterwards, but with limited access to the Sonos environment, just for playback purposes and no access to the system management settings, obviously that’s a security decision.

So you either need to either use a later, ‘Google/Apple/Other’ supported controller device, or decide to not upgrade your own Sonos system.

From a Sonos and security point of view it’s best to upgrade your controller and receive the Sonos updates, but the decision is yours in the end. Sonos cannot continue to support mobile devices where their own operating systems are outdated and not being security patched by Google/Sony etc.

Thank you Ken.  Whilst I buy a new google-supported device, please you can tell me how I temporarily tell my S2 app that I don’t want it to upgrade my system? 

At the moment my S2 app is unusable - it’s telling me all my speakers need updating

thank you

Thank you Ken.  Whilst I buy a new google-supported device, please you can tell me how I temporarily tell my S2 app that I don’t want it to upgrade my system? 

At the moment my S2 app is unusable - it’s telling me all my speakers need updating

thank you

This can often depend if you have updated the speaker device firmware, or the Sonos App software already. The App software will likely be controlled by a setting on your Sonos mobile and/or Google account, I believe.

The Sonos hardware update can happen if you have the Sonos automatic update feature enabled in the S2 App and have scheduled to update your devices during a period specified, such as morning/evening etc.

See screenshot from my Sonos Settings/System/System Updates as an example. If your devices have updated, then you will need to update your controller App too for compatibility. 

If either update has happened ‘accidentally’, then you would need to contact/chat to Sonos Support. Here is a LINK to hopefully assist you, if that’s needed.

many thanks for you help

Marcus