Question

S2 App fails to start after installing on Win 10 OS.

Upgraded my Sonos Controller on Win 10 OS to the new S2 app but now neither open when selected??  Have tried to uninstall both 3 times and re-install and repair the S2 app on Windows.  The app still fails to open when selected.

Becoming more and more unhappy with Sonos, since they removed the option to play music direct from my phone…  Now the windows controller doesnt work!

Any help, apart from changing hardware brand at this time, would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Badge

Oh I should add I have been working with PC’s  since Windows 2.9  and HP New Wave :older_man_tone2:

Badge

Nothing wrong with Windows Defender … It is just that Bitdefender is a bit better. Sometimes a bit too much better  but at least it usually tells you when it is blocking  or that you have risky browsing, for sure it has stopped more than Windows Defender.  Only complaint is their marketing is a bit pushy.   

In Windows Defenders defence I would say it is better behaved than Bitdefender   when making new installs, perhaps it is a little more aware of installs ??? 

I have been using Windows Defender and Firewall since the introduction of Windows 8.1, for me the most trustworthy protection against malware, viruses, worms and other vermin.

Badge

Great! So no Norton involved in the Windows refresh, right?

No Norton !   Just Microsoft Defender on a virgin install of Windows 10 64bit  20H2  19042.610. 

BitDefender AV now installed and Sonos still running nicely. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great! So no Norton involved in the Windows refresh, right?

Badge

Solved !   Some what dramatically.  I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10  as I keep only the OS and Applications on my solid state C: drive it did not take too long.  As soon as this was done I installed the Sonos 2 App with only Microsoft Defender for protection. It was like a different beast … It requested fire wall permission and setting  which the faulting installation had not during the install.  It then ran perfectly and is now working better that my old Sonos 1 set up.  I have reinstalled my preferred AV, BitDefender and all continues to run well. 

Thanks for you  for your engagement all the same,

Mark

PS Just need to reconfigure all my other apps now, that will take a day.    

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ve encountered several cases over the past years where Norton affected the use of the Windows controller.

Yeah, it comes up occasionally on here and Reddit. Writing kernel filter drivers that block bad things and allow good things, totally reliably, is hard. I used to work for Dr Solomon’s years ago, one of the early anti-virus companies. Fun times.

YMMV clearly.

I’ve encountered several cases over the past years where Norton affected the use of the Windows controller.

Norton 360 doesn’t affect the Windows controller.

Really? I thought the whole point of it was to intercept network access and scan executables as they load, looking for bad things. If that can’t affect sonos.exe then what use is it? At minimum it must install its own firewall, and that can certainly affect win32 apps like Sonos.

Of course Norton is aware of sonos.exe but in my years of Norton use I have never seen it interfere with the WDCR. It recognises the signature and trusts it. Nor, for that matter, has it ever blocked the installer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Really? I thought the whole point of it was to intercept network access and scan executables as they load, looking for bad things. If that can’t affect sonos.exe then what use is it? At minimum it must install its own firewall, and that can certainly affect win32 apps like Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try my Windows app (see profile). As a UWP app it should not be affected by stuff like Norton. My app works with both S1 and S2 systems.

Badge

Have just rolled my  Sonos Controller to S2  on Windows 10 64bit 20H2  having split my system  on my IOS devices to leave My Zone Player 100 on the S1 controller and set up S2 - inc upgrading firmware. This is working fine on my IOS devices BUT Neither controller will start on Windows 10! 

MS Defender Turned off 

Bitdefender Turned off 

And  Sonos not visible in firewall settings 

Can you help ? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Mr FG.

Thanks for the feedback.

You have mentioned re-installing Norton 360, does that mean you uninstalled and re-installed Norton security? if yes, I would like to recommend the steps bellow and please follow accordingly. (this is assuming you are not using any other 3rd party antivirus, firewalls, anti-malware, etc.)

1. Uninstall Norton 360 using the un-install option from Control panel or from the software folder.
  2. Restart computer.
  3. Download and install the Sonos s2 app.
  4. Open the S2 app.
  5. Choose Connect to existing system from the Sonos S2 app.
  6. Once everything is back to normal on the Sonos S2 app, Re-install the Norton 360.

The objective of these guide is to download, install, and run the Sonos S2 app without the Norton 360 anti virus (after the restart) once the Norton 360 have been re-installed. 

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Hi Paul and Smilja,

one step ahead of you both. Turned off my WiFi, disabled Norton entirely, tried to open S2 and still nothing.

reinstated Norton again, downloaded S1 controller to see if that would start up, yep you guessed it, it didn’t. Turned off WiFi, turned off Norton, tried again, still nothing. I would love to be able to provide some sort of diagnostics to someone that knows but without it even opening I can’t even do that.…

I think the end of the line is at the end of today for me. Hello Bose.…

so disappointed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Mr FG.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response.

I do agree with @Smilja. turn off (Norton 360 antivirus and firewall temporarily).

Download the Sonos app from our support website.

Install and run the Sonos app, then connect to existing system.

once everything is all set, enable Norton 360 antivirus and firewall.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to assist.

Thanks,

@Mr FG, Deactivate Norton in order to see if that is the root cause.

By the way, I have been using Windows Defender/Firewall since the introduction of Win 8.1, it’s an adequate virus/malware protection.

net.framework https://dotnet.microsoft.com/ is up to date?

Hi Paul and Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out.  Alas none of the suggestions worked.

I always keep my OS up to date.  I regularly shutdown my laptop and not let it hibernate.  I always download apps/programs from the reputable site, in this case every time i downloaded the S2 Controller from the Sonos site.  I always keep my AV (Norton 360) up to date.

I think that is total compliance with your suggestions. (oh and i followed the Sonos instructions for the Norton 360 firewall).

Still no joy, the S2 controller still does not open.

I’m completely furious with Sonos.  They couldnt solve the issue with music playing directly from an iphone, so stuck their heads in the sand and removed the option.  This was the ENTIRE premise for me buying Sonos...%^%£”%&*()))….holes!  Now the Controller wont work on my laptop…..!!!  So now all my music is completely unplayable on the purpose built music speaker system that i bought that was sold to me under the guise of “this is exactly what you need”.

Total rubbish.

P.s.  If anyone has any other suggestions to fix this before i jump ship to a 1960’s wireless just so i can listen to music, please shout up…

Thank you

Paul, you may want to add to that the checking and installing of any Windows Updates, particularly to the .NET framework. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Mr FG.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank for you reaching out.

I would like to recommend some basic troubleshooting steps to help fix the issue.

1. We may want to un-install the Sonos S2 app.
  2. after the Sonos S2 app have been un-installed. It is not a bad idea to consider restarting your computer.
  3. Next, We may want to download the Sonos S2 app using the Sonos’ website.
  4. Another thing we may want to consider after downloading and installing the Sonos s2 App is windows 10 firewall and here is the guide on what to do.
  5. Third party Anti Virus is also another situation we can possibly address. Here is the guide on how to deal with third party Anti Virus to work with Sonos.

Please let me know how everything goes. We’re always here to help.

Thanks,