Question

S2 APP doesnt work with the my 7 AMPs

• 20 June 2020
  • 9 replies

I have 7 SONOS AMPs and the S2 APP will not work with them. I updated the firmware and I can push music from my iPhone but the APP only shows a couple AMPs and then won’t connect to them. How     can I go back to using the S1 APP?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Zflack. Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about your missing Sonos Amps. You may check this link to find missing products on the Sonos app. I'd also like to ask if what is the color status of the lights on the missing Sonos Amps.

If your products are on the Sonos S2 app already, you may contact our phone Support Team to check for options. They’re open Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 10 pm EST. Our phone support number: 1-800-680-2345. 

Kindly submit a diagnostic report to check in our end to see what could be causing the issue.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Here is a picture of the seven amps. When I open the new Sonos app, sometimes it shows me three of the amps. Sometimes six. It’s not always the same number, but it never shows all seven. And the amps that are missing are not always the same; that varies as well. We have also deleted and reinstalled the app several times. That didn’t help either. Downloading and installing the new Sonos app has rendered our once very nice system essentially unusable. We deleted the app and only push music to the system through Apple’s music app now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Zflack. Thank you for reaching out and thanks for the update. Regarding your concern about your missing Sonos Amps. since all are showing a solid white light it should be working fine. We would also advise if you can submit a diagnostic report to check in our end what could be causing the issue. 

If your products are on the Sonos S2 app already, you may contact our phone Support Team to check for options. They’re open Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 10 pm EST. Our phone support number: 1-800-680-2345. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

I submitted a diagnostic report a little while ago. Thank you for the help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I submitted a diagnostic report a little while ago. Thank you for the help! 

You need to quote the Diagnostics number so that Support can look it up.

I sent it to Simon B yesterday when he asked for it. It is 627468705. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Zflack, thanks for the update. Thank for the diagnostic report that you’ve sent.  Upon checking, all of the Sonos products are currently updated on the latest software version and running on the S2 app. The only thing that I can see here is that dropouts are being detected on the system.

You may contact our phone Support Team to check for further troubleshooting and options. They’re open Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 10 pm EST. Our phone support number: 1-800-680-2345. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above, 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

This whole situation has become very frustrating. We spent over $4,500 upgrading an already existing sound system with Sonos amps. Now, a year later, the new S2 app has made our system essentially useless. Multiple amps are missing from the app at any given time. When the system IS usable, the volume control does not work reliably. The other day, I was able to play my radio station on one of the amps through Tune In. When I returned to the app, that amp had disappeared, meaning that I could not turn it back off again. The only way we can really use our Sonos products is by pushing music to them. This is unacceptable. I appreciate that your diagnostic check revealed that everything is properly updated and running on the most recent software, but the fact remains that it does not work and has not worked since the new app was released. I appreciate that you are trying to assist me, but in the end, handing me off to another group of “support” people for troubleshooting doesn’t really get me anywhere.

Also, my original question was: could I just reinstall the original S1 app and revert our system back to that? When we were using the S1 app, the system actually worked. Very well, in fact. I notice that in all of the exchanges I have had with Sonos support, no one has ever addressed or even mentioned my original question. At this point, that’s what I would really like to do, at least until such time as Sonos gets their act together and produces an updated S2 app that is actually useable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To answer your presenting question: yes, you can revert your system to S1. It will require a factory reset of every device, which will then need to be re-added using a freshly reset S1 controller app.

However, there is no widespread fundamental issue with S2 (otherwise this forum would be drowning in issue reports), and it’s been running with complete stability for me on a reasonably large Sonos system (alongside a legacy S1 system). Therefore, reverting your system to S1 may simply incur work and reduce functionality while presenting the same issues.

Your problem description suggests network issues. If you connect an Ethernet wired controller device (a Mac or Windows machine running the Sonos desktop controller app), do you see the same issues?

Also, there are some network best practices worth observing with Sonos systems. One of these is reserving IP addresses for each Sonos device at your router (or DHCP server if that is separate).

Could you describe how your Amps are connected, and what your rough network infrastructure looks like? Have you power-cycled the Amps in an attempt to clear the problem?