Answered

S1 S2

My system is not compatible with S2. The app demands that I upgrade to S2 and won’t let me open S1. How do I open the S1?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 August 2022, 17:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Which app? S1 or S2?

Thanks for responding

what is unclear about my question? My app is S1, has been for years  when I try to open it, I am directed to upgrade to S2. I do not have an option to dismiss this demand. I can’t close the window and just proceed to the S1 app and play music. 

Are you sure all your units are indeed S2 incompatible? Because someone with an S2 app and an access to your system may have upgraded compatible unit/s to S2.

Other than this, I know of no other way for this to happen. I am also on S1 and make sure that I do not download the S2 app to prevent something like to to happen to my 12 unit system that also has some S2 compatible play 1 units.

Or, it may just be that your phone has done an auto update to the latest S1 - you will then have to do this to all units, but S2 will not figure anywhere in this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Uninstall the S2 app. Run the S1 app, Post a screenshot of what it says. If you see More Options, tap that.

I did not download S2. I have the latest version of S1

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What does the ‘About my system' show?

Ok now I see my play 1 OS is S2. This is at my condo with just one speaker. I don’t want the S2 app because it’s not compatible with my house system. Is there an article here on rolling back a play 1 to S1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Reset the Play 1 to Factory and add it back again.

If it's at a different location and is the only speaker there, you will need to bring it back to the S1 system to revert to S1.

However, if all of the others are at S1 I don't understand the system trying to force an S2 upgrade.

If it's at a different location and is the only speaker there, you will need to bring it back to the S1 system to revert to S1.

However, if all of the others are at S1 I don't understand the system trying to force an S2 upgrade.

I don't personally think that will work, there is no longer an option within the latest S1 App to downgrade a speaker from S2 to S1 during setup.

@sjw

An S1 only device is also needed to create a new S1 Household, it can’t be done with a device that is also compatible with S2.

Do you have BOOST or BRIDGE? I think that the safest way to proceed is to power down all of your SONOS units except one, wire this to the router and, attempt to operate the system. If this unit operates on your S1 controller, power up a second unit (wired or wireless) and it should join the system. If this first or second second unit drags you through this S1/S2 stall, power it down and move on to another unit. Eventually, you should end up with an operating system, and one or more units that balked at S1.

As you work through the units, it would be prudent to keep good notes and submit a diagnostic after the first success and after each failure. The diagnostics will be extremely helpful for SONOS staff to guide you. Unfortunately, you cannot submit diagnostics unless there is at least one working unit.

Let us know the outcome and we can give further guidance. It would be helpful if we know more about your system.

Avoid Factory Reset without further consult.

---

Edit: I’m a slow typist. I see that you’ve already Factory Reset and given some details. Yes, you’ll need to take this Factory Reset player back to the other house and add it to the existing S1 system. Make sure that the S2 controller is uninstalled.

When you return to the condo, this S1 player will be a remote player using the same household as your main system and the player will have access to all of your music services, however, some services, such as SPOTIFY will not simultaneously play at both locations and you may need to fuss with NAS settings, if any. SONOS playlists can create some issues because they are stored in the players, not the controller. Changes made in the playlists at one location will not be reflected at the other location.

@S M,

Its not clear if your older S1 HH is at the same location. If it isn’t, you are probably stuck, temporarily. 

What you need to do is use the new S1 downgrade tool, which is only available in the latest S2 App to first downgrade your speaker. You cannot create a new S1 Sonos System/HH with that speaker as it is also S2 compatible, that can only be done with an S1 only device. So you need to add it (post downgrade) to an existing  S1 system. 

Hope that assists you to get it back up and running on S1

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I don't personally think that will work, there is no longer an option within the latest S1 App to downgrade a speaker from S2 to S1 during setup.

That’s why I mentioned needing to return it back to the S1 system (away from the condo) to revert to S1 - where there is an S1 system?

If you have an S2 device (that is S1 compatible) and factory reset it and then add it to an S1 system, it does an ‘Update’ and reverts to S1 - no need for a ‘Downgrade’ option within the App.

That’s why I mentioned needing to return it back to the S1 system (away from the condo) to revert to S1 - where there is an S1 system?

👍

If you have an S2 device (that is S1 compatible) and factory reset it and then add it to an S1 system, it does an ‘Update’ and reverts to S1 - no need for a ‘Downgrade’ option within the App.

I think this has changed with the recent S1 update, as another community user recently had an issue with this… the S1 App would not downgrade his device after a factory reset (Sonos Playbar purchased used from someone who used it on an S2 HH). The user had to use the S1 downgrade tool (in the S2 App) before the S1 system would allow it to be added. I think (suspect) the downgrade option may have been removed from S1 to ‘perhaps’ free up memory and keep the existing services running on S1.

@sjw 

This was the Playbar thread I was referring to above…

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’ll try it now - I’ll reset one of my S1 devices and add it to the S2 Roam.

Then reset it and try to add it back to the S1 system.

I’ve moved devices from S2 to S1 many times (when taking/returning my speakers to family’s S2 systems) - I’ve never even seen the ‘Downgrade’ option in the S1 App  🤣 - just used the process I detailed above.

Will post the results.

@sjw,
This support page was the other thing I noticed, see the ‘new’ instructions here  …

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097

Condo is in entirely different location. Condo has a play one speaker that is S1 and S2 compatible. House has multiple units that are not S2 compatible. It looks like I have to download S2 app in order to downgrade my play one at the condo. I keep seeing instructions to reset my device but I don’t know how to do that.

OK just found reset instructions

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I reset a Play 3 and then opened up the S2 App.  It popped up with the ‘Play 3 found’ screen so I selected it and it played the PIN etc. and it was then added.  However, I couldn’t see the Roam anymore - but the Sonos ID was the same.  If I switched off the Play 3 it found the Roam.  I assume there were two separateS2  systems

Anyway I reset it again and it added fine this time.  I grouped the Roam and Play3 and played music..

I then reset it again and tried to add it to the S1 system - but because I’ve now got S1 and S2 installed I did indeed need to go through the S2 app - using the S1 App to add it took me to the Support page above.  Definitely not as easy as it was..

Thanks for the heads up on the change.