S1 Mac App Freezing on Start

• 20 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just got a new laptop, running MacOS 11.2.3 (Big Sur). I downloaded the S1 controller and was prompted to enable it in accessibility, which I did. When I launch the app it says “Searching for your sonos system” and becomes unresponsive and beach-balls. I’ve tried deleting the app and re-installing.

Any tips for how I can get this working?

(and no I can’t upgrade to S2)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hokietoner 

Thanks for posting.

That’s an unusual one, for sure. Do you have McAfee, or another firewall, installed? If so, be sure to open it for Sonos.

The fact that the app hangs suggests something more than just a lack of connection is going on, however.

Please uninstall the S1 app (move it from Application to Trash), then remove the following folders/files from your drive (if they don’t all exist, that’s fine):

/Applications/Library/Application Support/Sonos/
/Applications//Library/Preferences/com.sonos.macController.plist
/Users/Shared/Sonos/

Next, please reinstall the Sonos S1 app, first downloading the latest version from our website here: https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads - Be sure to choose S1 (in a grey box) for macOS. 

If this works, the problem was probably due to some old configuration files from a previous install of a much older version of the software.

Edit: And as @Airgetlam suggested, reboot the Mac after deleting the files and before installing the app again.

I’d suggest a reboot of the machine before re downloading the new client, too. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for the suggestions, I don’t have any of those folders (this is a new machine). I don’t have any AV installed, however, it is a work laptop and it’s possible something could be going on with networking under the hood. My last laptop was also a work laptop with the same software (but older Mac OS version) and Sonos worked fine with that one.

I’ll keep messing around. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hokietoner 

Thanks for the suggestions, I don’t have any of those folders (this is a new machine). I don’t have any AV installed, however, it is a work laptop and it’s possible something could be going on with networking under the hood. My last laptop was also a work laptop with the same software (but older Mac OS version) and Sonos worked fine with that one.

I’ll keep messing around. 

That’s entirely possible. My work computer won't connect to devices on my local network even before I start the VPN software we use. If your work laptop can connect with any other devices on your network (like AirPlay to a Smart TV), however, that would indicate that this is not the issue .