Question

S1 app won't work anymore

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

As of today I can't get the S1 Controlder app to work even though Android 6 should still work? All was working OK yesterday ? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

There is something wrong with the S1 app. It sees all my speakers. But it won’t allow me to play anything or add anything to the queue.

I use Apple, Amazon and Tunein. None work. It fails with old saved music and it fails with new music downloaded.

The common denominator is SONOS FAILS.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

How do I upload the version pre-S1 please?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Up until the forced ‘upgrade’ to the new Sonos apps I was able to use my Android 6.0.1 device as a controller for my Sonos system albeit with a repetitive annoying message about using an old phone and I really should buy a modern device. Now my perfectly serviceable mobile phone is redundant for Sonos.

What I find irritating is that I can still use an independent paid for app (SonoPad) on an old iPad 2 whereas Sonos refuse to support it.

Why, when it is perfectly possible for an independent developer to offer an app for older devices are Sonos, from whom I have bought multiple expensive audio devices and speakers, not willing to offer a compatible app?

My Mac app is now slower than pre-S2, my music tracks skip inexplicably, Sonos radio stations don’t play by voice command, my devices are no longer fully supported, I live in fear of other Sonos devices (Play:3, Play:1) losing support.

It’s been a bad year for Sonos and their users, getting worse and the future is uncertain.

Congratulations Sonos.

As of today I can't get the S1 Controlder app to work even though Android 6 should still work? All was working OK yesterday ? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Me too

Are there any solutions?? We have tried every single thing possible and have older SONOS equipment that worked great until a couple of weeks ago. 

Any solutions for those of us that have to use S1?

This is unbelievably shady….without a solution, we will be certain to share how poorly SONOS has treated long time customers

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

When I open the S1 app, I get a black screen saying: " 

SONOS

THE OS ON THIS MOBILE DEVICE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED.

USE THE SONOS APP ON A DEVICE WITH A NEWER OD TO CONTINUE RECEIVING UPDATES AND GET THE BEST EXPERIENCE ".

I'm running Android10.6.2; which Sonos says is adequate. The S1 app is there ( black logo not the later S2 brown logo, does anyone know how to get around this message coming up and use the app on my phone please?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling,  and resetting the hardware.

Sorry , I meant Android 6.2 on my phone. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sonos do not provide any means to role back the version of the software used by the speakers.

They also do not support rolling back the controller app, however .. There are third party web sites that keep previous versions of apps and some of these have previous versions of the sonos controller app, a search for previous versions an android apps will provide information for Android for example. As these are not official Google or Apple sites you go down this road at your own risk.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I "upgraded" to S1 using the Desktop PC App which in turn upgraded all the speakers to S1. I then uninstalled the App and reinstalled the App one by one on each of my Android Controllers from the Play Store. The Samsung S7 Edge shows the App as S1. All other controllers showed the usual "this version of Android ........" warning but worked as limited controllers as before. These controllers just have the icon Sonos. I can run S2 as all my units comply but don't want to lose my "old" controller useability and don't see any advantage in running S2. I have now turned off Auto Updates and blocked update.sonos.com and update-firmware.sonos.com in my routers firewall to control further updates until I am sure my equipment will continue to work as it does now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I'm unable to even use the 'old controller usabilties'  :(

All I want is my old app back

Badge +2

Same on any 7th Gen Fire Tablets. No way to upgrade the tablet past 5.6.6.  

Totally useless … was a great controller :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are there any solutions?? We have tried every single thing possible and have older SONOS equipment that worked great until a couple of weeks ago. 

Any solutions for those of us that have to use S1?

This is unbelievably shady….without a solution, we will be certain to share how poorly SONOS has treated long time customers

Android 7.0 is the minimum requirement for the S1 controller.

Anrdoid 6.0 was released five years ago, you should ask your phone vendor why they never updated beyond that and why they treat their long time customers poorly.

Sonos treats long term customers pretty well IMHO - I have Sonos hardware that is over ten years old and still works great with the S1 controller. I don’t own any other advanced electronics that still works and is supported from that long ago.

Badge +2

Surely the only solution cannot be to get a newer phone? 

Everything was working yesterday, there must be a way to put an app that works on Android 6?

This isn't a rant against Sonos,  merely a question on how I put the app on my phone 

see this article.  You need Android 7 or later to be able to run ether S1 or S2.

You might be able to download the older APK and run it with limited functionality, but i haven’t tried that yet. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Works with the same limited abilities as it did before on three of my devices.

Badge +2

Works with the same limited abilities as it did before on three of my devices.

i can’t get it to work at all on one of my 7th Gen Fire tablets.  tried an older SDK with same issue.  Even though their web says what you found…. that it should still work with limited capabilities. 

@ninjabob , did you update to the new S1 release, or running earlier version?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

So the question for Sonos is which app versions will work with a system that has been upgraded to S1? Knowing this will help those who are not on S1 decide if they should update to S1

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Phoned Sonos and the answer was to buy a new phone!

SOLUTION found! 

I was able to restore functionality of my Sonos S1 controller by resetting and reconnecting all my Sonos hardware one at a time. 

It would have been nice if Sonos communicated this more clearly with me before I upgraded the controller. 

Some brands just don’t get customer communication. Sonos is at the top of that list. I will never forget their communication that they were planning to not support older hardware – and then the reversal.

It’s like no one is thinking through the customer experience. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

SONOS

USE THE SONOS APP ON A DEVICE WITH A NEWER OD TO CONTINUE RECEIVING UPDATES AND GET THE BEST EXPERIENCE ".

I'm running Android10.6.2; which Sonos says is adequate. The S1 app is there ( black logo not the later S2 brown logo, does anyone know how to get around this message coming up and use the app on my phone please?

SONOS

Sorry , I meant Android 6.2 on my phone. 

Me too

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s coming when the ip-adresses of you devices get mangled by your router, which can happen if they all start at once after updating. Not completely Sonos’ fault.

Updating to S1 went fine on my system (that I updated to S2 shortly after).

Sonos want to offer an app controller for legacy Sonos kit; which is brilliant!  

But, if you have to buy £400 iPhone 11 to use it then that is beyond idiocy!

You can always go HERE to find the Sonos System Requirements including the mobile controller operating system requirements.

HTH

Upgraded Sonos controller on iPhone. Now I have the S1 controller installed and nothing works. Cannot add songs to queue. Cannot play anything.

Come on Sonos. You can do better than this.

The new app does not work in iPhone 8. What’s weird and makes no sense is it seems to now I need to be in close proximity to the speakers to get them to actually show in the app. No idea why this is case. I have mix of new and old Sonos speakers. I’m happy to deal with bugs but this just is a bad update. It worked before and now it’s horrible. 

Badge +1

With the update to the controller, I can use most of my devices, but can’t use one Amp (I also have a second Amp, a Z100, a Z80, and a PLAY:1). It can see the device, but when I try to play it, it then disconnects. Oddly enough, the PC app works fine. But I don’t want to leave the porch and go to my computer every time I want to switch music.

Any ideas?